Sign in to follow this  
Kirby_86

Simon Lappin has left

Unlike Simon to mutually agree cancelling his contract. Maybe there is a pre agreement for someone like Cardiff to now snap him up for nothing. So the club has helped him.

Nevertheless I am sad he''s leaving. 

Mutual agreement gives both sides great flexibility - lappin can get a contract without his existing wages hanging over him, allowing him to play,  having secured a proportion of the remaining pay due from his contract with us.    We free up a space within our 25 squad for a new signing and a little bit of wages.

Great cooperation on both sides.    Farewell good luck and goodbye kingofspain - has there ever been so much good will to a player having played so few few games in the last 4 years?

Nothing against Lappin.  He done a good job when called upon, and played well in the league 1 year and done alright in the Champ, but that''s really his level, obviousley doesn''t have the attributes to be a Premier league regular.

Good luck to him, its free''d up a spot in the squad for someone who can hopefully make a bigger contribution in the Premier League.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

A player that so many fans have a real soft spot for.

I was there for that Luton goalkick and won''t ever forget it!

Cheers Simon

Good luck.

[/quote]

I wasn''t there I was listening on the radio - it was actually a lot further out than I imagined then. can''t believe it hasn''t been shown on the telly more often, puts Beckhams efforts in the shade. [;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]--- PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 21/01/2013 5:07 PM: --- A journeyman in sport is a solid professional with limited ability as opposed to a really gifted player. It has nothing to do with how many clubs he''s played for. A journeyman is exactly what Lappin is. That is not really what it means in football parlance however. The term is used in Britain to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for a large number of different clubs during his career. And usually, yes, it is reserved only for average players who move clubs often.[/quote]

CJF, the definition does indeed seem now to have moved in UK footballspeak towards that idea of much-travelled, but that must be quite recent. It always used to mean someone of limited ability. It comes from the world of craftsmanship, where a journeyman was someone who hadn''t attained the rank of master.

[/quote]

journeyman comes from the french word ''journee'' which in times gone by was applied to itinerant workers who were paid on a daily basis and were free to move to find work wherever it was available.

So a journeyman would have been much travelled in the past and the same would have to be applied to a journeyman today, I suspect

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

CJF, the definition does indeed seem now to have moved in UK footballspeak towards that idea of much-travelled, but that must be quite recent. It always used to mean someone of limited ability. It comes from the world of craftsmanship, where a journeyman was someone who hadn''t attained the rank of master.

[/quote] journeyman comes from the french word ''journee'' which in times gone by was applied to itinerant workers who were paid on a daily basis and were free to move to find work wherever it was available. So a journeyman would have been much travelled in the past and the same would have to be applied to a journeyman today, I suspect[/quote]

Truly bizarre the by-ways some of these threads go down![:O] It probably does come from the French and being paid on a daily basis, but the reason why someone was in that position was because they hadn''t attained the rank of master craftsman, and so had to seek work where they could rather than than clients coming to their studio or workshop. So the travelling around bit was the result of their comparitive lack of ability, and it was the latter that defined them.

It does seem now that in UK footballspeak journeyman has come to mean someone who has played for several clubs, but otherwise in sport it retains its original idea of someone below top class. If a British golf commentator, for example, refers to a journeyman player leading the Open after the first round they don''t mean someone who''s itinerant but someone who''s had an ordinary career so far, such as a club pro.

Anyway good luck to future hall of famer Lappin. I am amazed no-one has yet suggested the club should retire whatever shirt number he wore...[:D][;)]