Sign in to follow this  
Orford65

Reading minefield

Anyone else feeling slightly apprehensive about the fact that Reading have to break their duck sometime - and we are up next?Or, is it just me harking back to the bad old days of NCFC when we seemed to provide the cannon fodder for any team seeking to get off the mark?Fingers crossed on this one.

Settle for a draw ? Are you serious ?

We should go there to win. All teams must win away at some point to stay in the Premiership and this is a great chance to do so.

The pressure is all on Reading to win and they cannot seem to hold onto a lead.

They''re all tough games in this league but I actually think it''ll be a big ask for Reading to beat us. If we play to our best I think we''ll have too much for them.

Have to say I was feeling a bit apprehensive about this one too. But we''ve got to go there to win it! The pressure is all on them to win the game, let''s exploit that. If we get an early lead their confidence will get a real bash.

Reading are capable of scoring. But they leave themselves wide open at the back. Every time they pushed forward looking for a goal against QPR it resulted in them almost conceding on the counter attack. If we have our shooting boots on and keep it tight at the back, it should be our first away win.

We expect to beat Reading.......Just like we expect to lose to Arsenal ??You never can tell in the Prem, cliche but never more truer words spoken.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Reading are capable of scoring. But they leave themselves wide open at the back. Every time they pushed forward looking for a goal against QPR it resulted in them almost conceding on the counter attack. If we have our shooting boots on and keep it tight at the back, it should be our first away win.

[/quote]I know im like a broken record but we will need Jackson in the last 30 at the very least to exploit with his pace.And I know the tea pot lump will come on when we need a goal, reducing us to 10 men *sigh* I just hope Hughton gets his striker priority correct and puts Loza abover Moro !!!!

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Reading are capable of scoring. But they leave themselves wide open at the back. Every time they pushed forward looking for a goal against QPR it resulted in them almost conceding on the counter attack. If we have our shooting boots on and keep it tight at the back, it should be our first away win.

[/quote]That''s what worries me - what shooting boots?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Pyro Pete"]Reading are capable of scoring. But they leave themselves wide open at the back. Every time they pushed forward looking for a goal against QPR it resulted in them almost conceding on the counter attack. If we have our shooting boots on and keep it tight at the back, it should be our first away win.

[/quote]I know im like a broken record but we will need Jackson in the last 30 at the very least to exploit with his pace.And I know the tea pot lump will come on when we need a goal, reducing us to 10 men *sigh* I just hope Hughton gets his striker priority correct and puts Loza abover Moro !!!![/quote]Loza...are you having a giraffe?

Just had a quick read on a couple of their forums. They really are (as with most forums it seems) overly optimistic, bordering on arrogant. They have a prediction thread where all of them have said that they will easily beat us, some saying it will be a walk in the park and that we have not deserved any of our points so far.

One even posted that he genuinely believed after the next 5 games they would be on 16 points (with us only on 8).

Lets go there and show them we are not the team portrayed on MOTD and that we more than deserve our place in this league!

I think it will be a tight game but in the last few minutes the ball will hit the ref comically on the @rse, the resulting deflection will sit up nicely for an Irish midfielder who will loop a long-range effort over the disbelieving Reading custodian....

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]I think it will be a tight game but in the last few minutes the ball will hit the ref comically on the @rse, the resulting deflection will sit up nicely for an Irish midfielder who will loop a long-range effort over the disbelieving Reading custodian....[/quote]

That history will only repeat itself if Hoolahan is nursing a secret desire to become a Catholic priest...

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]I think it will be a tight game but in the last few minutes the ball will hit the ref comically on the @rse, the resulting deflection will sit up nicely for an Irish midfielder who will loop a long-range effort over the disbelieving Reading custodian....[/quote]

Quite shocked with this - Bumper has some length of time & memory to his supporting after all and he can be light hearted too!  Woop, woop!

That''s not so recent. The River End didn''t have a roof when young Mungo and his coke crate were man-handled by burly men (in a non-Jimmy Saville fashion) to the terracing crowd support posts...

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]That''s not so recent. The River End didn''t have a roof when young Mungo and his coke crate were man-handled by burly men (in a non-Jimmy Saville fashion) to the terracing crowd support posts...[/quote]

So people trying to get rid of you started young....................

Our new found ability under Hughton to be solid at the back and hit teams on the counter, coupled with Reading''s open attacking play should give us an excellent chance of leaving with all 3 points.

Besides not winning yet, Reading will see us as one of the weaker, lesser lights of the top flight so therefore would have long noted this as a must win!

That siad if we go there and play at our best, 100% we can win. Anything less and we will likely lose!

[quote user="splutcho"]Nexus will you shut the fuck up.[/quote]Why and how is what anything I have said ( apart from the tongue in cheek Loza remark ) wrong ?When has the bloke done anything worthy of the shirt.

And please dont mention the Arsenal goal,. evidently a flukeor the 12 goals or w/e he scored, as that run of form ran out  TEN MONTHS AGO.

I think it''s a mistake to simply expect three points and I can it being a bit of a nail bitter. I feel that we''ve got a great chance of winning but Reading will put us under considerable pressure with their style of play. Hopefully we will have the same back line that started on Saturday fit and raring to go. Perfect game for Hoolahan and Tettey to showcase their attacking flair too.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

That history will only repeat itself if Hoolahan is nursing a secret desire to become a Catholic priest...

[/quote]

Surely he wouldn''t be aware of that desire yet? But if Wes is spotted in a kebab house leading up the the game anything''s possible...

Reading will eventually win a game, I just hope it''s not against us. I''m not going to think it will be an easy win because it won''t be, Reading have no problems scoring. Of course I am hoping for 3pts, but just not losing it will still be good.

Reading have had a difficult start but now have a run of games they will fancy after getting a point at QPR and scoring a hatful of goals recently. They also have a game in hand.

We do not need any of the bottom three to start winning games and so this match isn''t just about three points it is about whether or not we contribute towards kick starting Readings season.

A draw would be a good outcome in this regard although that would best be achieved playing solidly with a view to a win.

It''s more important not to lose this one than win it. Right up our current street. I can see it now. While busily building our solid defence a couple of quality breaks will set us up for a two nil half time lead. No idea what will happen next.

[quote user="kingsway"]

Besides not winning yet, Reading will see us as one of the weaker, lesser lights of the top flight so therefore would have long noted this as a must win!

That siad if we go there and play at our best, 100% we can win. Anything less and we will likely lose!

[/quote]I think that''s what Arsenal believed too.  Reading were lucky to steal a point from a woeful QPR side, and how leaky was their back line against the Arse when they made their three changes in the COC?  If there was ever a match to pin your ears back, this is the one.  Would nice to cut that poor goal diff down a couple of notches. 

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Reading have had a difficult start but now have a run of games they will fancy after getting a point at QPR and scoring a hatful of goals recently. They also have a game in hand. We do not need any of the bottom three to start winning games and so this match isn''t just about three points it is about whether or not we contribute towards kick starting Readings season. A draw would be a good outcome in this regard although that would best be achieved playing solidly with a view to a win.[/quote]

The problem is - confidence. Reading at QPR didn''t really have any pressure - but Reading playing at home (especially after going 4-0 up in their last home game and still losing) will be operating in a pressure cooker kind of atmosphere. If they are not ahead within the 1st 20 mins or so, the place is likely to erupt. Therefore, we need to keep them at bay early on, try and nick an early goal, then the dynamics of the game will increasingly swing in our favour - especially if the fans feel this to be a home banker!

One of the things I excel at is in the art of stating the bleeding obvious [:D]