Sign in to follow this  
yellow hammer

Scum word is so offensive

Am I the only one here who objects to the use of the word ''scum'' to describe our neighbours down the road?

Derby rivalry is the best part of the game, after promotion and winning trophies, but a sense of vitiol crept into the Norwich v Ipswitch debry back when Ipswich were doing well in the Premiership and qualified for Europe while we were floundering in the middle of our wilderness years. So I really do blame the City supporters for dragging the local rivalry down to a new, nastier level.

I''m a Norfolk lad, first and foremost, but before I''m an Englishman I consider myself to be an East Anglian; and I''d much rather see all the region''s teams do well rather than the likes of say Millwall or Wolves or whoever.

Local rivalry is a great opportunity for banter and bragging rights; but I don''t see the need for venom or abuse. It says more about who we are.

I don''t want to see Ipswich relegated. For me the perfect season would be Ipswich as runners-up in the premiership and losing finalists in the FA Cup. And of course, NCFC as the winners of both competitions. My point being, we can beat them without the need for the nastiness.

[quote user="yellow hammer"]

Am I the only one here who objects to the use of the word ''scum'' to describe our neighbours down the road?

[/quote]Yep. If it wasn''t for moderation I''m sure the word to describe the ******* down the road would be far more offensive.

May I be the first to say:Pfffffffffffffffffft!They are the scum, they''ve always been the scum and they will forever remain the scum..

Derby rivalry is the best part of the game, after promotion and winning trophies, but a sense of vitiol crept into the Norwich v Ipswitch debry back when Ipswich were doing well in the Premiership and qualified for Europe while we were floundering in the middle of our wilderness years. So I really do blame the City supporters for dragging the local rivalry down to a new, nastier level.

I''m a Norfolk lad, first and foremost, but before I''m an Englishman I consider myself to be an East Anglian; and I''d much rather see all the region''s teams do well rather than the likes of say Millwall or Wolves or whoever.

Local rivalry is a great opportunity for banter and bragging rights; but I don''t see the need for venom or abuse. It says more about who we are.

I don''t want to see Ipswich relegated. For me the perfect season would be Ipswich as runners-up in the premiership and losing finalists in the FA Cup. And of course, NCFC as the winners of both competitions. My point being, we can beat them without the need for the nastiness.

[/quote]

Surely you jest.

The perfect season for me would be s**m going out of business due to financial irregularities and Portakabin Rd disappearing into a massive black hole.

[quote user="Herb"]May I be the first to say:
Pfffffffffffffffffft!
They are the scum, they''ve always been the scum and they will forever remain the scum..
[/quote]

lol well said and I echo that, cheers [B]

[/quote]

I don''t think you are equiped for todays world if you are offended by the word "scum".

I live in Ipswich and can see the floodlights of Portaloo from my top window. I look out the window every morning and think "scum"

scum scum scum scum

I''m afraid it''s now ingrained in "football culture" that there''s no chance of changing it, whether we like it or not [:(]

I prefer Binners.You sort of have a point. I mean, where would be the fun if the Binners were in the Conference and we were in the Prem. I''d rather we be in the same league and then give them a good hiding twice a year.

yes YH, i agree that to label our rivals as scum is offensive.  i also regret than humanity sees the need to label each other  in such derogatory terms.  just because another football team, tribe, country, class or different ethic/religious group is different to you, why should you want to insult them???  to feel better about yourself at their expense.  it''s old age thinking that''s screwed up the world long enough.isn''t it about time we all tried to get on and gave peace a chance???

[/quote]

You should try checking out what the scum say about us...especially what they sing about Delia...you are so wrong. Always will be scum in my mind...whoever said administration is dead right...wipe them off the face of the earth

Yellow Hammer.

I agree with you 100%.

It''s only taken off in the last 10 years or so.[:S]

Must be a reaction against our new family image, or something.[:O]

OTBC

Sweet jesus....these pretend Norwich fans keep cropping up on here dont they...

I suppose to a certain degree it does depend on what kind of fan you are as to what level your passion goes upto when it comes to the derby rivalry and support in general. I for one am the type who queued for 9 hours for playoff final tickets, for 1.5 hours in -3 degree''s for Chelsea home FA Cup tickets, the type who now that ive finally got a season ticket would sell his cat to a sex offender to keep hold of it and the type who just has always had this undescribable hatred for all things Ipswich.

I have often deliberated with my fellow fan the reasons why, and i think its pyschological. I simply have an in built affinity for all things Norwich City, i love the club, i love the colours yellow and green, i love the players, the ground and even the mere words ''Norwich'' and ''City'' have an aesthetically pleasing look that fills me with joy whenever i see them in print. Im sure others can associate with this level if obsession with City...i hope so at least.

It is for these reasons, the level of passion ''for'' Norwich City that replicates itself ''against'' anything the opposite of ''City'' ie Ipswich Town. God as per my love of the words Norwich City, even typing the words Ips...no i cant do it twice....even typing the scums name releases strange feelings of hatred in my brain.

It is strange as after all, scum fans are no different to you and me, they love their club, just like Man Utd fans and Liverpool fans.....but its the scum, if your a die hard City fan the hatred for all things blue is just in built, and there from birth.

Phytoplankton.........hasn''t quite got that ''ring'' to it........(the ''ring'' that''s left around your bath after you''ve pulled the plug).

Yellow Hammer, I too find it difficult to use the word ''scum'' against someone who merely follows their football team just the same way I do mine.Personally I grew up in an age when the word was reserved for rapists, murderers, child molesters and suchlike.Over recent years it has become a common word to be used among rival supporters none of whom are hardly likely to mean it in that way at all.We don''t have use it mate, we just mustn''t misconstrue the meaning of those who do.  

Yr mate ur on your own if we didnt hate them so much victory wouldnt be so sweet! [:D]

City 2 send wilnis n his b*m boys back 2 portaloo rd empty handed

OTBC

So the nastiness is something which was started by Norwich City fans out of jealousy 5 years ago? Garbage. my fist derby memories are from 1973  and i quickly grew an intense hatred for ipsh*t then. As a teenager and in my early twenties the ipswich game was virtually a riotous assembly. I had my run ins with our friends down the road in those days, and nothing ive seen since has changed my mind about them. Im a mellow 40 something father these days, but i still loathe and despise that filthy blue rag with the scabby white horse badge. Win or lose tomorrow - i always will. Win Norwich - Win at all costs.

[/quote]You''re offended?????Please, not another polictically correct ramble.....there is no room for that on here.

[quote user="Smudger"]oh dear me.... now I have heard everything!!!  lol  [+o(][/quote]

Same hear. We really are becoming quite soft arent we?

anyone wanna go present delivering to all the ipswich supporters?

Heck, why not donate huckerby to ipswich?!?!

This is probably the most ridiculous thread i''ve seen yet! And there''s alot of rubbish posted on here!

hogesar

It is just a word...but I do agree it is offensive!  Rivalry is great and when there is nothing else to play for in the season...this match takes a greater place in the hearts of all Canaries. But! it is only football and the vitriol that is poured out here by a few about our our East Anglian neighbours makes me think that some people should get out of the county more often..you cant hate something so bad...that at the end of the day, you need more than you think. We might not miss Ipswich for a season or two if they were to be relegated ...or god forbid, promoted ahead of us...but wouldn''t supporting Norwich be poorer for not having Ipswich somewhere around us season upon season. Like another poster here I wish all the region''s clubs well ...after NCFC...and like you all hope we give our Suffolk Collective of Under-achieving Men a good trouncing tomorrow.

I concur entirely. Also as a 41 year old father now my first run ins with those scum from the hole they call a town (You''ll never be a city) was in the late 70''s and early 80''s a a mere boy and I can recall a certain dislike of us on their part and you are correct they were riotous back in those days.

It all seems tamer now and a lot of the hostility seems a tad pantomime in some ways and before anyone gets excited I am not glorifying violence or advocating it in any way as the hostility then was exciting and I mean hostilty, not fighting as they are different.

I think that their hate of us is in some ways greater than ours of them as the things that you see the scummers doing, printing and saying (East Anglian Daily Times Rag included) are far worse and we alwys have been a bit more cultured and intelligent in our approach.

It must be the breeding on our part and the inter breeding on theirs!

COME ON YOU YELLOWS

I totally agree with you, yellow hammer. Why can''t we have some respect in today''s world?

Now in the good old days we never used such language to describe our neighbours down the road.

Okay, the fun part of a Carrow Road derby was to see how many blues'' supporters you could push from the top of the old River End and down the steps. Halfway down - your mates all bought halves at the pub; All the way from the top to the bottom was worth a pint.

There are a lot worse things we used to due to the blues - but at least we did not call them scummers. Dreadfully unsportsmanlike that!