ron obvious

Who can we bring in for tonight?

There's only 3 alternative starters I can see: Batth, Gibbs & Fassnacht (plus maybe Fisher). The new lads I know nothing about.

It's a real problem. I think we could make a case for resting any of Saturday's team - they must all be totally knackered - but the nature of our reserves means we can't rest the full backs (unless we switch Kenny to LB & trust Fisher to replace Stacey). Gibbs is a useful player to have in this situation as he is viable in midfield or attack.

So how would you rejig the team? Only Wagner will know exactly who is the most in need of a break, but we can make our own judgments/guesses. I'm going to have a ponder & post a team later.

Saturday was tight but wasn’t particularly high intensity. We need to keep playing our best players. There’s threads on this board that assume we’ll make the play offs. Far too early for that. We need all the points we can get. 

• Like 6

The obvious one would be to play fassnacht on the right and move Sara into the middle if Barnes needed a rest

However , I'm loathed to swap a striker for a midfielder vs a bottom 3 side.

The more obvious solution would be to just replace Barnes with Van Hooijdonk but they clearly dont trust him..

6 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Saturday was tight but wasn’t particularly high intensity. We need to keep playing our best players. There’s threads on this board that assume we’ll make the play offs. Far too early for that. We need all the points we can get. 

Yeah, agree about the play off threads, premature.

As the saying goes: Many a slip, twixt cup and lip. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The obvious one would be to play fassnacht on the right and move Sara into the middle if Barnes needed a rest

The more obvious solution would be to just replace Barnes with Van Hooijdonk but they clearly dont trust him..

I don't think Van Hooijdonk will feature much anymore, he seems slow and lightweight, yes he has the assist for Fassnacht's goal, but hasn't done much else. 

The manager and the sports science guys will know exactly who needs a rest and who is likely to be on the cusp of an injury and tonight's selection will no doubt reflect that. We have three games in eight days forty odd fixtures deep into a season, you can't keep selecting players and expect them to stay fit or at their best, especially straight after an intense local derby.

So whoever doesn't play tonight will be rested for good reason. In an ideal world all eleven will play again but that can't happen unfortunately. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Bit of a catch 22 with SvH, probably needs a start, goal and win for his confidence to be any use, but if we do start him and he looks unfit and unconfident it would cost us points.

Might be one for him to get some minutes off the bench if the game is won, however it can be tough for a striker to impress when the game is sewn up as the creative players often aren't taking the risks to create the goalscoring opportunities.

Probably would have been better keeping Idah and placating him with the promise of a season long loan in the summer, I do agree with @hogesar in that respect, with the caveat being that we don't know just how much of a **** Idah might be been being to force the move, maybe we'll hear more about that once he's moved permanently.

Then you have to ask really, if the game is won and there is chance to give somebody minutes, would you in fact give them to Aboh who you are trying to persuade to sign a new deal?

• Like 1

Start the same xi; I think the game may be closer than expected esp after winning at qpr; battling to avoid relegation and having windass back adding some cutting edge that's been missing.

We will need to be on it;  use subs as players tire.   The thin squad may costs us but sat tue should remain doable with just 5 games to end the normal season

• Like 2

Fassnacht for Barnes, Gibbs for Gibson. McLean moves to CB (less running required) and Sara in the second-striker position I reckon. Our ability to use anyone else will depend greatly on the game-state, though I could see an argument for a Stacey rest as well.

This match will pretty much need to be won by the starting XI.

43 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Too tired to play? Too tired? It's their job to play. They need to just get on with it, it's what they're paid for"

Roy-Keane-angry.png?strip=all&w=960

Every player who's ever played has always said they would rather play than train.  Training at this stage of the season is virtually non- existent,just recovery and tactical. Barring injuries,they should be good to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

While I don’t think he’s proving to be a successful signing I’m pretty sure SVH is not a similar player at all to Barnes.

SVH seems to be the Sargent backup, and the fact we’ll let a clearly not 100% fit Sargent play 90 mins some weeks you may be right in that he’s not trusted to fulfil that role.

We desperately need to keep Sarge fit though so if we are winning by a two goal margin I’d expect him to come off at some point.

This is the last round of midweek games, so if we can avoid any injuries tonight and Saturday then we've got a full week's recovery between all of the last four matches. I don't expect there to be any changes from the derby.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Strange people are talking of resting players at this stage of the season - only do that when promotion is sealed, there is too much to play for if we are being serious about promotion. We need to chase down and pass WBA for one, to get what I would perceive is an easier route to a play off win. Rowe is looking like being available on Saturday in some form. As others have said, if the players can't hack three Champ games in a week, we really shouldn't be thinking of going up. I'm with Keano on that. As TGS said it is the last midweek this season, so shouldn't be a fear to any.

Tonight, if we need to give our forwards a rest (as is likely as Hillsborough is a big pitch and the water table is barely a couple of centimetres below pitch level ATM), then I really want to see Aboh come on and scare the **** out of the Wendy's back line with his direct threat.

Edited by shefcanary

4 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Strange people are talking of resting players at this stage of the season - only do that when promotion is sealed, there is too much to play for if we are being serious about promotion. We need to chase down and pass WBA for one, to get what I would perceive is an easier route to a play off win. Rowe is looking like being available on Saturday in some form. As others have said, if the players can't hack three Champ games in a week, we really shouldn't be thinking of going up. I'm with Keano on that. As TGS said it is the last midweek this season, so shouldn't be a fear to any.

Tonight, if we need to give our forwards a rest (as is likely as Hillsborough is a big pitch and the water table is barely a couple of centimetres below pitch level ATM), then I really want to see Aboh come on and scare the **** out of the Wendy's back line with his direct threat.

That was @Feedthewolf, not me.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

That was @Feedthewolf, not me.

Ack, racing through my read of the thread, trying to get things done to allow me to get to the game tonight! D'oh!

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

What you are saying, Shef, is that it is all a question of corporeal governance... 

• Haha 1

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

What you are saying, Shef, is that it is all a question of corporeal governance... 

Sod governance ATM, I want a trip to Wembley this year to see the mighty yellows triumph again! 🤣🤣🤣

Sheffield Wednesday also had a game Saturday,  just a guess, but I'm sure they had their best 11 on the pitch then, and if they had depth in their squad,  they wouldn't be where they are. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Sheffield Wednesday also had a game Saturday, 

And in theory our players have had 2 and half hours extra break! #marginalgains

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

And in theory our players have had 2 and half hours extra break! #marginalgains

True, but I do wonder if they were allowed a little "celebration" Saturday?

5 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Sheffield Wednesday also had a game Saturday,  just a guess, but I'm sure they had their best 11 on the pitch then, and if they had depth in their squad,  they wouldn't be where they are. 

Exactly, and a tough away game at that.

It's the same for most clubs at this stage of the season. Even the Binners looked jaded on Saturday and they have a bigger available squad than us.

I don't envisage any changes.

44 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

True, but I do wonder if they were allowed a little "celebration" Saturday?

Which one? I prefer celebrations to roses personally...

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Every player who's ever played has always said they would rather play than train.  Training at this stage of the season is virtually non- existent,just recovery and tactical. Barring injuries,they should be good to go.

think it was Gary Nevile who said at Man utd they did ball work only by this time of the season 

only people coming back to fitness need to get fit  the others who have been playing are fit enough and need recovery time 

Main news on pinkun is wagner pondering changes to his very very small squad 🙏 not too many plz, will be a tough evening. 🔰

Fassnacht and Gibbs can come in maybe , but I wouldn't change anything else...

• Like 1

Sports scientists' go-ahead permitting: play the same XI. Get it won. Subs from 60 mins if possible. End, as they say, of.

No changes but hopefully we can get a comfortable cushion to make some changes sooner rather than later. We don't play with that much intensity but I think it was clear we were a bit knackered on Saturday, it might be a case of us getting over the line now and then the last game or two of the season we can properly rest players.