Sign in to follow this  
ridgeman

What have the majority shareholders got to say over Webber .

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think there's a strong suggestion he knows enough about the backgrounds of the players in question for it not to have been any sort of generalisation or profiling, particularly regarding Jonathan Rowe.

I think he was trying to over-dramatise the point and that's where it went **** up. Mentioning that either of them could be in jail is a slur on the player and their families morality, and his ego just fails to filter it out.

This is due to his concentration solely being on magnifying the point in how important he/we were in helping these players, there was no thought beyond that.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Why has he apoligized then?..if he believes it of these 5 players he's specifically mentioned he'd stand by it.

If he'd have said that there is a general problem with certain players from ethnic backgrounds who were brought up in certain areas, he could have had a point

..but he's gone out of his way to name 5 people.

If youre going to do that you have to be certain in what you say however since this was reported ,3 of the 5 players have  publicly responded either via themselves, or via the mother's of 2 of these players in defending themselves and condemning Webber's comments

...we still await to see whether Jonathan Rowe 'minds' that Webber has suggested he could have ended up in prison

Because when the inquisition calls you a heretic you repent or get put on the rack, regardless of whether it's fair.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think he was trying to over-dramatise the point and that's where it went **** up. Mentioning that either of them could be in jail is a slur on the player and their families morality, and his ego just fails to filter it out.

This is due to his concentration solely being on magnifying the point in how important he/we were in helping these players, there was no thought beyond that.

The chap is a walking PR disaster and clearly felt himself above some media training.

Stoke is one of the most Brexity places in the country and their fans now don't want him because of this. With some pointing out that they were already wary of him after his comments about womens football. 

He's the Alan Partridge of Sporting Directors.

Middle aged male divorcees, women, and now those of African or Afro-Carribean descent. What group is he going to go for next. Guess we'll find out now that he'll be unemployable in football and hit the podcast circuit to keep himself busy, Joey Barton has just started one, he can go on there to moan about women. Trans the hot topic if he wants to go full culture war soldier. 

A bit tragic that a one time family club has given 5 years and millions of quid to somebody with a Ron Atkinson mindset in a 39 year old body. Just a bit of a worry that we still employ the woman who decided he was her type of life partner.

Webber is a moron, about time Norwich fans universally accepted that.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Thanks 6

19 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I obviously missed Raheem Sterling’s stint playing for us…

Webber’s comments are stupid and clumsy rather than anything - and go along with the other stupid and clumsy things he’s often said.  That doesn’t make it right but it is for him to answer, not his ex-employer.

If he officially leaves next week surely that still makes him an employee of the club until then? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

If he officially leaves next week surely that still makes him an employee of the club until then? 

Not exactly. He's already officially left.

A company can let you go, they still have to pay your notice period. He's no role at the club, he's no position at the club. The club is just honering it's contractural obligation. Consider it more a severance package.

Edited by chicken

27 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Because when the inquisition calls you a heretic you repent or get put on the rack, regardless of whether it's fair.

I'd have had more respect for him if he had stuck by his statement and then elaborated upon the fact that his 'inside knowledge' on these 5 players upbringings meant that he was able to speak with the authority that allowed him to say thay they would have ended up in prison or down a certain path.

Afterall he said that Jonathan Rowe 'wouldnt mind' him saying so.

We havent heard as to whether he does 'mind' or not but we have subsequently seen that 3 of the other 4 players and their families he mentioned certainly do 'mind'...

So someone's not telling the truth?

18 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Webber signed Sargent, Sara and Sainz not to forget Rowe coming through the ranks. So why all this vitriol aimed at him? Are fans saying they would rather have none of these players if only the club could have been rid of Webber earlier?

Verdict: Fans are numpties.

Well I know at least one binner fan who is a numpty. He also thinks he’s ‘big’

38 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

He relinquished his role as Director of football, but is contracted to the club until 31 March 2024, on gardening leave!

They might have paid up his contract and terminated his employment in November. The FA don't seem to think he's still contracted to the club.

Sources with knowledge of the FA's disciplinary system have told Mail Sport that Webber's racial stereotyping would almost certainly have led to him being charged with breaching Rule E3 had he been an active participant in the game, but that they are powerless to act given as the Welshman left Norwich last November.

He could have said it 'hard R' and would still be a hero to a majority on our board. Statement was as expected.

36 minutes ago, chicken said:

Not exactly. He's already officially left.

A company can let you go, they still have to pay your notice period. He's no role at the club, he's no position at the club. The club is just honering it's contractural obligation. Consider it more a severance package.

But his wife is. That’s a worry. This club really needs a clean slate at the top end as soon as possible. 

35 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

They might have paid up his contract and terminated his employment in November. The FA don't seem to think he's still contracted to the club.

Sources with knowledge of the FA's disciplinary system have told Mail Sport that Webber's racial stereotyping would almost certainly have led to him being charged with breaching Rule E3 had he been an active participant in the game, but that they are powerless to act given as the Welshman left Norwich last November.

Don’t let facts get in the way!!!

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

1) There are a lot of black players so it's not that weird that the names mentioned were black players. 2) Given the specifics of the names mentioned, I think there's a strong suggestion he knows enough about the backgrounds of the players in question for it not to have been any sort of generalisation or profiling, particularly regarding Jonathan Rowe. If anything, probably the apologies to the players for being indiscrete were most in line rather than any hoo ha about profiling.

The general message of the comment was pointing to socieconomic deprivation meaning people are more likely to become involved in crime. That's a known thing and applies across races. It's also a complaint of the campaigners that black people have more socieconomic disadvantages, so their complaints  about his comments really do seem absurd, especially when his whole objective is raising money to help people and give them better lives.

For once I agree with you. Clumsy, ill thought out comments, but not racist.

Club have responded correctly, supporting the players - and I can understand why the players and families might be a bit annoyed - but really, it is just a storm in a teacup.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Afterall he said that Jonathan Rowe 'wouldnt mind' him saying so.

I think what he had in his mind at that point of naming players was different to what came out of his mouth, though.  He later threw the word 'jail' in thinking it was making a greater point, but didn't consider the ramifications of that from a personal perspective.

It's been spoken before that Rowe had an issue with authority and got kicked out of the academy previously, I can't remember who let that slip, but sure it was on Radio Norfolk - Forbes perhaps?  So that's most likely what he was thinking more specifically to Rowe... That they had to give him a second chance, and specifically work with him to unlock who he is today.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

This is what a vacuum of corporate governance gets you. Webber has been handed free rein to do snd say as he likes for years, despite his penchant for saying stupid things. It seems even when working his notice he’s got free rein to give interviews etc. the person who should be overseeing him/keeping the reigns on things is his wife who now effectively needs to slap him down in public to protect the clubs reputation. There is nobody else employed at the club who can do that. This highlights exactly the issue that Delia and Michael scoffed at when asked by Conor at the AGM. 

'You have no idea. You have absolutely no idea' accompanied by the proverbial scowl of contempt! 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Club have responded correctly, supporting the players - and I can understand why the players and families might be a bit annoyed - but really, it is just a storm in a teacup.

Give LYB time for the wine to kick in. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The players and families might be a bit annoyed ? 

I’d be ****ing livid !

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

So if stating young black men would be in jail if they had not been footballers is not racist what the f... is. It's 100% racist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

But his wife is. That’s a worry. This club really needs a clean slate at the top end as soon as possible. 

Guilty by association it is then?

Just because he has an issue expressing himself accurately and in a way that doesn't at least suggest prejudice, it means his wife is the same and as he doesn't hold a position at the club, she should pay the price?

All because this clearly means Stuart is evil and that means Zoe should divorce him or leave?

I mean we're a few days shy of April fools and a long way of May Madness... 

15 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So if stating young black men would be in jail if they had not been footballers is not racist what the f... is. It's 100% racist.

It's actually an important conversation and one that this country and many others really needs to have. It's like saying the right wing is the same as the far right or extreme right in politics. You have to be careful to be fair because otherwise you end up alienating the very people you can engage with and through discussion show them how they are wrong.

I very much doubt that Stuart is a racist otherwise his career would have been far, far shorter. Unless the suggestion is he is a closet racist and knows his views are wrong and keeps them well hidden... I'm sorry, but I think his inability to express himself accurately at times in the various interviews over the years, would suggest that sort of pretence is beyond him. That's not to say the man lacks intelligence but that it takes a special kind of someone to be able to keep that sort of thing up. Acting, so to speak. That's not him.

I am fairly confident in thinking that he doesn't see people as any lesser of a human because of their skin colour. However, the way he has expressed something clearly says that he has prejudices. The thing is with prejudice is that we are all guilty of it, even if a tiny bit, because our society has prejudice. We are raised with prejudice and we can be utterly blind to it.

That is why these conversations are important. And it's important that people are given the chance to learn rather than pushed further in the direction that we, as a society, should not want them to go in. Have a look at the "zone of proximal development". Obviously if they are full on racist fascist/neo-nazi... there is no talking to be had really. You are talking about a proper level of therapy to tap into that and correct it.

As others have said, he is guilty of ignorance and prejudice for profiling both areas people are from and the people themselves. Again, it's something I see all of the time, I can't remember who it was on one of these threads, maybe @shefcanary? But they said that it is as much about profiling the area as it is their heritage. If you split the two you don't have to go very far at all to see how people are profiled for the areas they are from... Larkman, Earlham, Heartsese, Mile Cross... That's just Norwich, but other areas profile those areas massively. Costessey, just over the road, often turns it's nose up at the Larkman and Earlham and yet a lot of folks moved across Dereham Road at some point in their lives!!

15 minutes ago, chicken said:

Guilty by association it is then?

Just because he has an issue expressing himself accurately and in a way that doesn't at least suggest prejudice, it means his wife is the same and as he doesn't hold a position at the club, she should pay the price?

All because this clearly means Stuart is evil and that means Zoe should divorce him or leave?

I mean we're a few days shy of April fools and a long way of May Madness... 

That’s absolutely nothing like what I said but you know that. I just think this club needs a fresh start at boardroom level, and Zoe is part of that. My opinion only of course, but I never was comfortable with the pair of them working together at this club.

Im sure they love each other though and I wish them a long and happy marriage. 

You know I said that Delia had missed the boat of leaving the club with respect and there would be a definitive event that leads to national embarrassment and her leaving in disgrace?

Is Zoe still involved with player's contracts? Should be an interesting conversation with Mr J Rowe should they (the club) wish to offer an extension.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

The full quote was "in jail or something". So no 100% indicated at all. 

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Unfortunately it became racist as soon as 2 ex players mums came out and said it wasn't the upbringing their children had. Is he a racist probably not , was the comment racist,  unfortunately yes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What do you think he was referring to? In jail or …an accountant? maybe a doctor? Or an entrepreneur? 

In jail or something means something similarly bad, it’s not some get out because he said “or something” after it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

90% bad something  I would imagine. Fits the difficult jigsaw puzzle. Phew.!'

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

"A bit annoyed".....Webber has made false accusations about these players upbringing , the parenting of them and whole lifestyle and attitude.

Little wonder Aarons and Lewis' mother's refuted these claims in as strong a terms as they have.

Tell these families that their parenting which apparantly was such that could have landed their children in jail, were it not for football, that this is a 'storm in a teacup'

They should be seeking legal advice for defemation of character

45 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

What do you think he was referring to? In jail or …an accountant? maybe a doctor? Or an entrepreneur? 

In jail or something means something similarly bad, it’s not some get out because he said “or something” after it.

"Or something" could mean drugs, gang warfare, crime, poverty, depression, alcohol, betting.....are all problems that exist as potential issues.  Why can't people understand whole sentences rather than one word??  

"Jail or something" is a clumsy way of saying what he meant. He's an idiot, but he's not a racist. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

"Or something" could mean drugs, gang warfare, crime, poverty, depression, alcohol, betting..... 

So it could be Jail AND Gang warfare ? Not just Jail or something ? 

You really are the gift that keeps on giving . 

• Like 1