Posted (edited)

13 matches unbeaten at Leeds. Fair play to him, showing exactly the kind of manager he is in the Championship.

Meanwhile the binners have only beaten a team in the top six once all season. Wonder who's finishing where in the top three..?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

Wonder if he will carry on doing the same things in the EPL or he will make a few people eat their words ?

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wonder who's finishing where in the top three..?

As well as scum are doing, they will be looking over their shoulder this international break as I don't think they can do much better and still can't keep their noses ahead of Leeds.

Saints have 2 games in hand and play them the week before we do.  If scum lose that, Coming to Carrow Road could essentially drop them to 4th with the games in hand.  It's a really critical period for them, as it is us - should be a banger!

Twists and turns to happen yet. We could beat Leicester and then lose at home to the Binners which then gifts them autos.

You wouldn't bet against Farke winning the league and he has previous.

Leeds play Southampton last game of the season. 

Farke will now 100% win the league.  At no point will it occur to our moronic ownership that they backed the wrong horse.  Still mourning Stuart of course.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

At no point will it occur to our moronic ownership that they backed the wrong horse.

The horse they backed is the one that brought him into this club and won two Championship titles, also provided us with Sara, Gunn, Sarge & Sainz as our current stand out players.

As hurtful as it was, everyone has an expiry date.  We'll see if he gets 4.5 years support at Leeds.

• Like 4

It's tight at the top. I think the highest 3rd place historically is 89 points, so it'll be interesting to see if records are broken.

image.thumb.png.6e96ea4af3585a9951173ff2d170efca.png

8 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

It's tight at the top. I think the highest 3rd place historically is 89 points, so it'll be interesting to see if records are broken.

I suspect all 4 will crack the 89 points. As it stands, I think ( dependant on Leicester ) one club could miss out with as many as 95, which shows how important wins are instead of draws as the binners have only beaten one top six team.

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Wonder if he will carry on doing the same things in the EPL or he will make a few people eat their words ?

You’d imagine he’s learned his lesson from his time with us (and now looking at Burnley) that you need to add some defensive nous to the side as you’re not going to dominate possession in the same manner and that style of play doesn’t work unless you can keep the ball for long periods. However I haven’t watched much of Leeds this year so I don’t know if they’re playing in the same manner or if he’s already tweaked it slightly. They do have the strongest squad in the league along with Leicester though so anything less than the automatic promotion spots would have been an under achievement 

In all fairness though with the team at his disposal and the quality of the championship this year is this really a big accomplishment?

Next year when he's in the Premier League (I believe Leeds will go up 2nd) will be very interesting.

• Like 1

Norwich could do Ipswich a massive favour on Easter Monday, leaving us the chance to go top at Carrow Road 😁

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

You wouldn't bet against Farke winning the league and he has previous.

I hope he does to be honest.

Don't like Leeds fans, but only wish Farke well.

Obviously not if we were in the mix for the title, but seeing as we aren't.

I wouldn't be against Vardy dragging Leicester over the line with some heroics to finish writing another remarkable chapter in his extraordinary career.

If I could choose though would be Leeds 1st, Leicester 2nd, us knocking Ipswich out in the play-off semi's. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Norwich could do Ipswich a massive favour on Easter Monday, leaving us the chance to go top at Carrow Road 😁

I'd love it if we beat Leicester too.  The chance of the East Anglian Derby returning to the top flight and 2 of the money clubs remaining stuck in Championship, to my mind, would be brilliant for both clubs.

But you'll likely swallow against Blackburn & Southampton and be like little rabbits in the headlights at Carrow Road.  We're at the big boy point of the season now, let's see what you've got. 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

We're at the big boy point of the season now, let's see what you've got. 

After the draw at Portaloo, we were 21 points behind them, nothing has changed,  so we've nothing to fear from them, of course, it's at home...... and we're beasts at home, bring it on.....

Posted (edited)

Farke has more funds behind him at Leeds than NCFC were ever able to afford him. In one way this is a test for him and could eventually lead to his downfall, in another it could get the best from him. 

Despite all the financial limitations at Carrow Road and being 'sent into battle without a gun' he managed to behave with dignity throughout his City spell and accepted the situation for what it was, probably fully realising that the club had given him his big chance in the game. He is now a name.

He left with dignity, despite the ruthless and unnecessary manner of his sacking.

Furthermore, he will now have a chance to reveal whether he is to be one of the greats of the managerial game in England and perhaps eventually win a couple of major domestic trophies or may be even more. Leeds is big time. The prognosis might not be that good, Bond tried and failed, Walker tried and failed, Lambert tried and failed. At least DF wasn't lured by the glory, will be doing it a harder way and perhaps has more about him 

Webber's desperation did DF more favours than it did for NCFC.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

Let's hope he does **** with Leeds and they fire him then we can hoof wago out and bring farke home 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Let's hope he does **** with Leeds and they fire him then we can hoof wago out and bring farke home 

Not if we're promoted as well we won't 😉

20 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Not going to happen , no illusions...

15 hours ago, Well b back said:

One would imagine he wouldnt have quite the financial restrictions if trying to survive with Leeds than with Norwich. I've not followed Leeds this season, so I dont know how much they are playing Farkeball, but if they are, it will be interesting to see if he can make that work with signings that would have been beyond us

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Farke has more funds behind him at Leeds than NCFC were ever able to afford him. In one way this is a test for him and could eventually lead to his downfall, in another it could get the best from him. 

Despite all the financial limitations at Carrow Road and being 'sent into battle without a gun' he managed to behave with dignity throughout his City spell and accepted the situation for what it was, probably fully realising that the club had given him his big chance in the game. He is now a name.

He left with dignity, despite the ruthless and unnecessary manner of his sacking.

Furthermore, he will now have a chance to reveal whether he is to be one of the greats of the managerial game in England and perhaps eventually win a couple of major domestic trophies or may be even more. Leeds is big time. The prognosis might not be that good, Bond tried and failed, Walker tried and failed, Lambert tried and failed. At least DF wasn't lured by the glory, will be doing it a harder way and perhaps has more about him 

Webber's desperation did DF more favours than it did for NCFC.

It has to be said, once again, that many many fans were very itchy against Farke and wanted see him sacked at the time the decision was made. Were it not for the timing of the win after the decision had been made, I don't think there'd have been anything like as much fuss.

Don't try and rewrite history to put it all on Webber in isolation. 2 points in 10 games  as an encore to our lowest top-flight points tally in history was a thoroughly sackable record. If that sacking was unnecessary, then so is every managerial sacking in history.

It was worth a throw of the dice at the time; only with hindsight can you criticise it.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It has to be said, once again, that many many fans were very itchy against Farke and wanted see him sacked at the time the decision was made. Were it not for the unfortunately timed win, I don't think there'd have been anything like as much fuss.

Don't try and rewrite history to put it all on Webber in isolation. 2 points in 10 games was a thoroughly sackable record.

Webber makes (made) the decisions, the fans express opinions.

I wouldn't say there was that much of a clamour for him to go compared with many of our managers who were failing in the past. I wouldn't be aware of the feeling inside the ground.

Smith did no better,

We'll find out more if/when he gets Leeds promoted and is suitably armed.

15 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

15 hours ago, Well b back said:

I suspect all 4 will crack the 89 points. As it stands, I think ( dependant on Leicester ) one club could miss out with as many as 95, which shows how important wins are instead of draws as the binners have only beaten one top six team.

Sunderland got 90 in '98, finished 3rd and didn't go up.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Webber makes (made) the decisions, the fans express opinions.

I wouldn't say there was that much of a clamour for him to go compared with many of our managers who were failing in the past. I wouldn't be aware of the feeling inside the ground.

We'll find out more if/when he gets Leeds promoted and is suitably armed.

If you wouldn't say there was much of a clamour then you're wrong. Have a dig through the forum to remind yourself properly. You can't simply dissociate fans opinions from the decision and then whine about 'disconnects' when decisions are made that aren't to the liking of the more vocally negative fans especially when it's only in hindsight as is the case with most of the complainants over Farke.

Best of luck to him getting Leeds promoted and keeping them there, but even if he succeeds it's still meaningless, since his experiences since mean he has doubtless learned something since.

Move on.

Posted (edited)

This forum? Come on!

Were there any "Farke out" calls on match days? If there were, I didn't hear them from my screen. Correct me if I'm wrong. Most accepted that we were the paupers of the league and saw the bigger picture.

Not hindsight, by me either. I was disappointed by those events?  I wasn't clamouring for him to go.

A fellow fan said to me just before the knife went in and, words to the effect that, "Two youngsters, in their various ways, have done much to undermine Farke's efforts, Cantwell and Gilmour."

As a fanbase we are not daft enough to ignore the whole picture either, and some fans are more fickle than others. We know that?

Smith did no better, and I doubt Wagner would have done.

Anyhow, this is all stale bread, my posting was more about Farke's future prospects at Leeds rather than Stuart Webber's actions.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Honestly, fair play to Ipswich. I don't think anyone, especially Norwich fans, saw them doing as well as they have this season. They've built a team that functions well as a unit, lost players to injury and kept going, and strengthened in January when they needed a striker.

However, as a Norwich fan, I've got everything crossed that they don't get promoted and that we beat them yet again when they come to Carrow Road.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's absolutely no surprise Leeds are at the top of the table. They have a good squad and an excellent manager who knows what it takes to win this league. We have a good squad too - and did when Farke was here - so the logical conclusion is that Farke would have done well here too, had he stayed. 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It has to be said, once again, that many many fans were very itchy against Farke and wanted see him sacked at the time the decision was made. Were it not for the timing of the win after the decision had been made, I don't think there'd have been anything like as much fuss.

Don't try and rewrite history to put it all on Webber in isolation. 2 points in 10 games  as an encore to our lowest top-flight points tally in history was a thoroughly sackable record. If that sacking was unnecessary, then so is every managerial sacking in history.

It was worth a throw of the dice at the time; only with hindsight can you criticise it.

Throw of the dice?? Really?  Sacking a manager whose championship record is superb and who would likely be needed the following season - in the championship? 

The reason Farke was sacked was because there was a desperation to stay in the PL....and therein lies the problem. The money you get from being in the PL becomes the most important thing, rather than just enjoying it - and the threat of losing that money influences decision making - and it shouldn't be like that - it should always be about the football, not the money.

In the situation we were in, a rational mind would think, we have a very good manager who is a great fit for the club. He has such a good record at Championship level that if we go down, we stand a good chance of coming back up. Indeed he'd just won that league - again - with record points. A rational mind would think we take the ups with the downs and roll with that, rather than taking risks sacking a successful manager like Farke.

We all know - and knew then - the odds were stacked against us. Smith really did no better than Farke might have done had he stayed - and Smith was such a bad fit for our club anyway. The angst the club and it's fans had to go through with the sacking of Farke was completely unnecessary. It was just ridiculous.

I think Webber had his head turned talking to Frank Lampard behind the scenes and thinking that he would step in  if he sacked Farke - and believed wrongly that FL would be a great coup. When that plan fell through, Smith appeared to offer him a solution, but however you look at it Webber was just wrong. There was no succession plan, there was no-one sensible lined up, Smith just happened to become available - and the rest is history.

We've moved on, I get that, and Wagner is getting us to look more like we want, but it was so unnecessary to go through all that angst over Smith and Wagner, when we had the class of Farke at the helm. Yes, we would still have been relegated, but there is so much more to football than the PL.

We threw away a legend.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's absolutely no surprise Leeds are at the top of the table. They have a good squad and an excellent manager who knows what it takes to win this league. We have a good squad too - and did when Farke was here - so the logical conclusion is that Farke would have done well here too, had he stayed. 

Throw of the dice?? Really?  Sacking a manager whose championship record is superb and who would likely be needed the following season - in the championship? 

The reason Farke was sacked was because there was a desperation to stay in the PL....and therein lies the problem. The money you get from being in the PL becomes the most important thing, rather than just enjoying it - and the threat of losing that money influences decision making - and it shouldn't be like that - it should always be about the football, not the money.

In the situation we were in, a rational mind would think, we have a very good manager who is a great fit for the club. He has such a good record at Championship level that if we go down, we stand a good chance of coming back up. Indeed he'd just won that league - again - with record points. A rational mind would think we take the ups with the downs and roll with that, rather than taking risks sacking a successful manager like Farke.

We all know - and knew then - the odds were stacked against us. Smith really did no better than Farke might have done had he stayed - and Smith was such a bad fit for our club anyway. The angst the club and it's fans had to go through with the sacking of Farke was completely unnecessary. It was just ridiculous.

I think Webber had his head turned talking to Frank Lampard behind the scenes and thinking that he would step in  if he sacked Farke - and believed wrongly that FL would be a great coup. When that plan fell through, Smith appeared to offer him a solution, but however you look at it Webber was just wrong. There was no succession plan, there was no-one sensible lined up, Smith just happened to become available - and the rest is history.

We've moved on, I get that, and Wagner is getting us to look more like we want, but it was so unnecessary to go through all that angst over Smith and Wagner, when we had the class of Farke at the helm. Yes, we would still have been relegated, but there is so much more to football than the PL.

We threw away a legend.

He was a spoon at a knife fight for the Premier League.His Championship record was worthless in the Premier League. His Premier League record was abysmal for us.

And, if you insist on bringing up Smith once again, in spite of no Buendia, we still didn't do as abysmally the Premier League season when Smith took over, whereas we were on target to do even worse at the point Farke was sacked, even including the win.

Farke 's record was sh1t in the Premier League, even accounting for the quality of players. That's the metric that matters in judging his sacking, not the great performances in the Championship.

Like I said, only with hindsight knowing that we didn't survive can you say it was maybe a bad call, but on its own merits arguably he should have been sacked after the first failure so we could have moved on earlier and we wouldn't have been held back by the sickly sentiment towards the guy on account of such a nice guy having been with us for so long.

I broadly agree about being phlegmatic about yoyoing, and that's why I spoke in favour of keeping Farke at the time, but the prevailing view had voices like mine and yours in the minority. Generally, I would say I would have been no less happy to just keep trying again with Farke on the offchance he sussed it out, that's they way I tend to approach things in general, but that view was drowned out so it must be recognised that the prevailing view was that we needed to try and survive.

Webber did what a lot of fans wanted. Stop b1tching about it for crying out loud.

27 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Were there any "Farke out" calls on match days?

Broady, you've forgotten the bed sheet protests (there were a couple at away matches but strangely not at Carrow Road, mainly youngsters, but they did happen) and as others have referred to on here recently a poll was taken at the time on here and was in favour of sacking him.

As for what happens this season, its looking like 1p5wich v us in the semi-finals with us at home first leg. Then Soton and Russell Martin in the final at Wembley to the victor? Crikey, my heart won't cope with all that.

Leeds have been a special club these years since Bielsa, as a neutral probably my fav team for a few years now in a football sense (no friendo of their fans). Happy to be corrected but I don’t see the form under Daniel as being due to huge resources or buys, often Leeds have stuck loyally to players and got best out of them. 

On 17/03/2024 at 17:23, Well b back said:

My guess he will get far better financial support. This was almost nonexistent after he performed miracles in taking us up on a shoestring.

Webber should have been the fall guy, not Farke, and what he is doing at Leeds is evidence of that.