Soldier on

Guardian linking us with Arsenal No2

31 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

28 is too young. 

Working at Arsenal with Arteta not a bad way to learn though. 

• Like 1

Let’s hope so, would be very exciting and a future we can all get behind 

45 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

28 is too young. 

For players sure, 30+ is the way. 

Coaches on the other hand 👌

• Like 1

Grass isn't always greener, as we've seen with Farke/Smith. Rather we put all our energy into getting behind the current manager. All these reports and issues are unsettling at a time when we need to get behind the team. Anyone would think we don't want promotion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crab man said:

Grass isn't always greener, as we've seen with Farke/Smith. Rather we put all our energy into getting behind the current manager. All these reports and issues are unsettling at a time when we need to get behind the team. Anyone would think we don't want promotion. 

Exactly Crab man.

I think we have bunch of people here who'd rather get shot of Wagner than have a decent shot at the Play-offs. It's totally crack pot. Get behind the manager and stop this absurd sniping.

• Like 1

But what about Daddy Wagner??? #Cry

Heres what I was talking about with the day trippers. They were all supporting him yesterday during boo-gate and now they are happy to ditch him for this new guy.

Its all just a lovely day out to them. Potato wedges and bovril all round.

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

But what about Daddy Wagner??? #Cry

Heres what I was talking about with the day trippers. They were all supporting him yesterday during boo-gate and now they are happy to ditch him for this new guy.

Its all just a lovely day out to them. Potato wedges and bovril all round.

The ground doesn't sell wedges, but you'd know that if you'd been.

• Like 1

Just now, nu_matik said:

The ground doesn't sell wedges, but you'd know that if you'd been.

The ground clearly sells potato wedges my man, or did you think I meant women’s shoes?

Just now, The Real Buh said:

The ground clearly sells potato wedges my man, or did you think I meant women’s shoes?

Did you just assume my gender? 😉

3 hours ago, vlad666 said:

IMG_1618.png

IMG_1619.png

For what it's worth, this was followed up by another tweet saying that we spoke to him late last year. So at a time when it was certainly more conceivable that Wagner was about to go. 

I did think this was exciting until I read “rated as one of the world’s best young coaches”. Surely not coming to Norwich? At minimum we must surely  be promising him some reasonable spend on players if he is tempted?

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If I was Wagner and knew this I’d be seriously p*ssed off.

Unless there was some fabulous top six / promotion bonus involved I’d be inclined to really f*ck us over.

But he’d be hurting himself too. A (second) promotion to the PL is going to look very attractive on his CV, especially compared to ****ing the club over in a fit of pique. He’d be virtually guaranteed a job in the Championship with someone next season, and if there was competition for him he could do very well out of it. It’s just a job after all.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

But he’d be hurting himself too. A (second) promotion to the PL is going to look very attractive on his CV, especially compared to ****ing the club over in a fit of pique. He’d be virtually guaranteed a job in the Championship with someone next season, and if there was competition for him he could do very well out of it. It’s just a job after all.

Can see the logic in that but managers seem to fall into jobs no matter how c*ap their CV. 

You’re probably right but it would be so tempting.

3 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

I Agree about some of the Games if it was not for a player pulling out something special it would be a different story 

but football is about fine margins  ,

i do not trust him as a Manager 2-0 up we won 4-2 but could easily lost 3-2 or drew 

But conversely if it weren't for some players dropping absolute clangers we would have won or drawn more, if you're discounting the manager from the successes then you have to let him off him from the individual errors that have cost us

• Like 3

Wagner may already be aware he's not being kept on for next season for all we know. Knapper's hardly made any commitment towards him; has talked about people working hard etc etc but no mention of getting behind Wagner and that he's the man to take us forward.

At this stage all options are open and Wagner will not expect to be here if we fail to get to the play-offs yet again.

You can't stop rumours in this day and age but Carlos Cuesta isn't going to leave Arsenal mid-season whilst they still have a chance of winning the Premier League. Nobody is suggesting Wagner will be sacked now, but without promotion no one can expect him or Johnny Rowe to be here next season.

I still maintain that there will be a mutual parting of the ways at the end of the season. If we make the play-offs (or even just miss out) Wagner will be able to leave with his head held high and probably be in demand by some Champs outfit or even a club back in his homeland.

We have Knapper. The Arsenal connection was often mentioned on here as being a plus factor, and although mainly regarding the loan of youngsters, if the Cuesta rumours are true then we should strike while the iron is hot. I should imagine that he had a good relationship with Cuesta when at the Gunners and this should be a plus in our favour if other Championship sides are in the running. 

5 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I don’t think there’s a clause he’s on a rolling 12month deal so it’s not the biggest pay off we’d have to pay regardless and I can’t imagine Wagner is on super high wages given he was unemployed before we gave him a chance 

On the contrary I think he'll be on pretty big wages considering his only season in this league prior to joining us was a promotion, followed by staying in the Prem for a season, and having to pay a sufficient amount for him to move his family from Mallorca to Norfolk. Can't see him being on any less than £1 million a year + bonuses, which would make the cost of his pay off £1 million.

That's a lot of money to a team which is about to see the end of parachute payments.

4 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

On the contrary I think he'll be on pretty big wages considering his only season in this league prior to joining us was a promotion, followed by staying in the Prem for a season, and having to pay a sufficient amount for him to move his family from Mallorca to Norfolk. Can't see him being on any less than £1 million a year + bonuses, which would make the cost of his pay off £1 million.

That's a lot of money to a team which is about to see the end of parachute payments.

Sorry but a million a year is less than what an average player makes in our squad these days. Our average wage on players last season was 30k a week that’s 1.5m a year. It’s all relative in football. A unemployed manager who realistically would have struggled to find a job had we not come knocking due to his previous record, I’d be surprised if it’s as much as a mill. I’d bet between 500k and 750k a year. 

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not that it matters but he's actually younger than some of the players.

been a coach since he was 18

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Said to be the brains behind Arsenal whilst Arteta does all the arm Waving and jumping about.

Oh and he certainly won't be cheap and want nothing less than a 3 year contract.

It was on the cards that an Arsenal coach was coming in at the end of season

Be ironic if we through any Black Magic we got to Wembley and won the Playoffs  

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If I was Wagner and knew this I’d be seriously p*ssed off.

Unless there was some fabulous top six / promotion bonus involved I’d be inclined to really f*ck us over.

Otherwise known as ‘doing a Webber’…

Don’t give a toss if he’s any good, as long as he makes the same subs that I would, cos if he does he will obviously be a genius.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Sorry but a million a year is less than what an average player makes in our squad these days. Our average wage on players last season was 30k a week that’s 1.5m a year. It’s all relative in football. A unemployed manager who realistically would have struggled to find a job had we not come knocking due to his previous record, I’d be surprised if it’s as much as a mill. I’d bet between 500k and 750k a year. 

Our turnover in the Championship with parachute payments for year ended 30th June 2023 was £75m.

Of which about £35m will have been parachute payments, and just under £4m was profit on player trading.

So we're looking at a turnover of about £36m before any profits from player trading next season, halved basically.

So if the average player next season in a 25 man squad is on £1.5m a year then we'll be up sh*t creek without a paddle and spending more than 100% of turnover on player wages alone, which is how Everton ended up a billion in debt.

That's our new reality. Of course what we'll need to do is realise a large profit on player trading to keep the show on the road, and replace the likes of Gibson and Giannoulis with much cheaper players (probably players who make those two look like world beaters).

That is why it would be complete madness to sack a manager who has us in 7th level on points with the team in 6th, and a track record of taking an unfancied team up through the play offs, like some of our braindead fans are calling for. Do these fans actually understand the gravity of our current situation and how a play-off lottery ticket is our only hope of keeping hold of Sargent, Rowe, Sara, probably Gunn and prevent years of stagnation? Because it doesn't feel like it.

What I would like for our next manager is someone who improves the players at his disposal, has a style of play we can all get behind and the tactical nous to make in match changes which improve us. Not much to ask?