Thingy

New stadium at Anglia Square?

Anglia Square is available. It would be a good location for a new stadium. 

• Haha 3

I thought Anglia Square should now be renamed the Robert Jenrick Folly, complete with Nimby way and Norwich Society view. Really should now be Grade 2 listed as a monument to stupidity.

Seriously this is what happens when you allow committees with no vision or unrealisitc ideological views to determine what should be built where. 1000 years ago they'd of **** pooed the Cathedral and Castle too. Far too big / tall / modern

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Robert Ketts Yellow Army said:

As ludicrous as Jenrick is, or was, the real blame for this decision and a gazillion others like it is the anti-everything civil service blob. 

You're in a cult.

• Like 7

I remember getting a bus in to Anglia Square as a youngster, it was a decent shopping experience then.

But, surely it is not big enough, or is my memory serving me badly?

Inconvenient compared with Carrow Road as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I remember getting a bus in to Anglia Square as a youngster, it was a decent shopping experience then.

But, surely it is not big enough, or is my memory serving me badly?

Inconvenient compared with Carrow Road as well.

Well it wouldn't be more inconvenient for anybody who lives in the North or East side of the city.

Its not just Anglia Square that was due to be demolished but that huge unsightly former Stationary Office building and the multistorey car park, so I should imagine it would be big enough for a football stadium, but might have to be one with an under-stadium players, VIP and directors car park (and blue badge holders perhaps?).

Personally I'd rather we stayed at Carrow Road, we're a nightmare to get to by car for fans of most teams so being close to the Railway Station is helpful for away attendances. If away attendances drops so does the overall atmosphere.

Realistically we only need to go to 35,000 and its been confirmed we can achieve that by simply knocking down and rebuilding the City Stand. No new stadium needed. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Its not just Anglia Square that was due to be demolished but that huge unsightly former Stationary Office building and the multistorey car park, so I should imagine it would be big enough for a football stadium, but might have to be one with an under-stadium players, VIP and directors car park (and blue badge holders perhaps?).

Personally I'd rather we stayed at Carrow Road, we're a nightmare to get to by car for fans of most teams so being close to the Railway Station is helpful for away attendances. If away attendances drops so does the overall atmosphere.

Realistically we only need to go to 35,000 and its been confirmed we can achieve that by simply knocking down and rebuilding the City Stand. No new stadium needed. 

Capture.JPG

Now if you told me this picture was taken in the USSR..

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Well it wouldn't be more inconvenient for anybody who lives in the North or East side of the city.

Capture.JPG

As a complete hypothetical, the portion to the bottom left of that photo isn't actually Anglia Square and has been redeveloped with housing. The rest of Anglia Square I doubt is big enough (although the architects who built Brentford's new ground may disagree).

But whatever happens, Anglia Square seriously needs to be levelled as soon as possible.

• Like 1

The footprint for a stadium isn't as big as people think. It would obviously need a lot of funding from outside the club, which kicks this into touch pretty much straight away.

Location wise it's better than the Showground or Broadland and involves a cracking pub crawl along the way!

There are plenty of other clubs with city centre stadiums, why can't we?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Carrow Road will likely be flooded for weeks on end within the next 10-15 years so we will need to move at some point.

Is that when they remove the “seat for life” benefit?

Seriously, though, it needs dropping .

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

There are plenty of other clubs with city centre stadiums, why can't we?

How much more central do you want? Carrow Rd is hardly out of town.....

The old stationary building should be saved and restored it’s a brilliant example of the brutalist style of architecture , one of the best in the country

It looks an eyesore only because it isn’t being maintained 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, norwich canary said:

The old stationary building should be saved and restored it’s a brilliant example of the brutalist style of architecture , one of the best in the country

It looks an eyesore only because it isn’t being maintained 

I could go with that alongside the other 50's / 60's brutalist buildings in Sheffield, but in Norwich, nah. Get rid!

As for the stadium, it's in the perfect place as it is, moving to Anglia Square wouldn't improve things substantially, if you take the increased distance from the railway station. I take it Worthy's comment about flooding at the Carra was tongue in cheek - there still is little evidence of it being more than a one day a year issue at most in 30 years time.

The only issue that currently prevents the replacement of the City Stand is what to do with the current ST holders during its re-build (Attanasio's mob can cover the costs and rack up more debt to him). If the 20% do fail to renew, then that should become an easier problem to solve. Perhaps that is part of the masterplan!

• Like 1

The cost of just building a second tier on top of the city Stand was too much so a new stadium will not be happening anytime soon. As for location most stadiums are moving out of city and towns not into them so very unlikely. I do hope the space is eventually put to good use though. 

4 hours ago, Robert Ketts Yellow Army said:

As ludicrous as Jenrick is, or was, the real blame for this decision and a gazillion others like it rests with the anti-everything civil service blob. 

Brainwashed!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AJ said:

The cost of just building a second tier on top of the city Stand was too much so a new stadium will not be happening anytime soon. As for location most stadiums are moving out of city and towns not into them so very unlikely. I do hope the space is eventually put to good use though. 

Too much for whom AJ? Not for Attanasio's mob, but first he has to gain complete control of the club. That will be a few years yet.

5 hours ago, Robert Ketts Yellow Army said:

As ludicrous as Jenrick is, or was, the real blame for this decision and a gazillion others like it rests with the anti-everything civil service blob. 

The debacle is absolutely NOTHING to do with civil service. They have no input in the political decisions made.

It's all to with the local and national politics plus wet behind the ears unworldly nimby / green / historical pressure (of all political persuasions like Jenrick) groups that made the perfect the enemy of the good. Seriously not a sensible site for any stadium (transport / noise) but people do need to ask themselves what they want there - or indeed in the city at large. It actually needs to be new 'quarter' where people WANT to live and work - that needs iconic starement  buildings and a sense of life / buzz / action - the place to be. Frankly, it needs the tower - a modern compliment to the cathedral spire - even with a viewing platform probably lit up like some Asian city! Else, I'm afraid it will become a wayward sink area in an ever fossilizing city.

13 hours ago, Thingy said:

It’s a crazy idea. Move the stadium from one with excellent rail access to one that hasn’t got that. For people driving at least Carrow Road is towards the edge of the city. There is no way you would want to put it more centrally, especially in a city like Norwich with many preserved and listed buildings. There’s as much chance of this happening as there is of us moving to Diss!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Thingy said:

Oh yeah, all one way roads around that dump of a area, great call. 

Get the new top on the City Stand that will do me! 

• Like 1

The thought of "The Carrow", Anglia Square has me shuddering.  Because that's the type of stupid name it'd be given lol.

Carrow Road has riverside on it's doorstep for amenities, train station link and city hall for parking right near by.  Plus you come in straight off the A47/A146 for those coming by coach/road.

I can't begin to think what a mess it would be routing football traffic through a more central location like that that doesn't have such links.

As for Anglia Square itself, there's some real emotions around that place for me, I was living rough there for a while in the 90s and I find it quite a dark place to go to.  Back in the day I would often to pop Carlsboro/Academy of sound and the second hand shops, but would always feel relieved to get back into the main part of the city afterwards.

As a kid it was quite different, going up with my mum shopping. Watching big films like ET and Return of the Jedi at the Odeon which always seemed quite a futuristic place to go... But we lived out in the sticks the at the time!

As some have mentioned above, it's one of those areas that without the upkeep and maintenance it was always going to turn to crap really because of the amount of concrete and industrial styling.  I don't know the ins and outs of it's planning and such like but surely it's demise is more down to the fact that the high street is dying on it's **** year after year?

In fact, in a similar vein, I had a nose around an estate opposite the exit of Sainsbury's car park last week (Brazen Gate), it used to be a cheap car park years ago.

They're leasehold and each of the houses have a yellowish porch on the front and deliberately kept the same - I couldn't help but wonder how they'll look in 20+ years, same as the apartments around Carrow Road.  At some point the money can dry out in all these places, as people focus elsewhere and at that point the maintenance/service agreements get cut and things slack.   

Anglia Square was the 'go to' at one point, as Castle Mall was...  It's very interesting, but also quite depressing to see how as people we move in fads, follow the rich hand which beckons us, and completely drop the previous.  All the while losing more and more of our natural habitat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ said:

The cost of just building a second tier on top of the city Stand was too much so a new stadium will not be happening anytime soon. As for location most stadiums are moving out of city and towns not into them so very unlikely.

I think it was the cost in relation to how many additional seats it would add. As a result, a new stadium would result in a lower cost-per-seat, and most new ones are designed to have office or leisure spaces to generate extra income. Also, they're only moving out of cities and towards the edge because that's where the space is. A city centre stadium is surely more desirable than an industrial estate or retail park on the outskirts.

Personally, I think Anglia Square would be a very good location if a stadium could be shoehorned into the space, with the main drawback being that it would be an absolute nightmare to reach by road, and also park. The Western Link may help ease the strain on the former as it would avoid clogging up the west of the city. Public transport wouldn't be an issue, as it's only 15 minutes on foot from both the bus and train station.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

We’ve already got one. There aren’t many higher level clubs who have.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

How much more central do you want? Carrow Rd is hardly out of town.....

My point was really if the club or city itself wants a new stadium which can be used for other purposes then it doesn't have to be on the outskirts like the Showground and Broadland just because there's vacant plots available.

From a personal perspective Carrow Rd suits me fine, but the prospect of increasing capacity is challenging.

The proposed developers of the Anglia Square area have just pulled out so in theory it's available. It's too big a project for NCFC though unless Attanasio's eyes light up at the prospect.

Now guys, hear me out

New stadium in the menswear department at Jarrolds.

you’ve got a cheese room in the basement (Tottenham eat your heart out) and floors and floors of just the purest Norfolk-ness you can find.

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Now guys, hear me out

New stadium in the menswear department at Jarrolds.

you’ve got a cheese room in the basement (Tottenham eat your heart out) and floors and floors of just the purest Norfolk-ness you can find.

And a million pound cycle path included! 

2 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

And a million pound cycle path included! 

There’s a Prosecco bar, like 4 restaurants, you’ve got the weirdo Jarrolds people who bring their dog and turn up in wellies. It’s be great!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

There’s a Prosecco bar, like 4 restaurants, you’ve got the weirdo Jarrolds people who bring their dog and turn up in wellies. It’s be great!

Not as great as an underground stadium built into the Castle Mall site.  Just imagine the motorised roof opening up before kick off, revealing the city sky.   The Castle glares back down on us as a reminder that this is our fortress and we SHALL... DEFEND IT!

It'd be the best League two stadium ever.   The very thought is giving me tingles.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Not as great as an underground stadium built into the Castle Mall site.  Just imagine the motorised roof opening up before kick off, revealing the city sky.   The Castle glares back down on us as a reminder that this is our fortress and we SHALL... DEFEND IT!

It'd be the best League two stadium ever.   The very thought is giving me tingles.

conspiracy theory, there’s a lot of work going on right now at hay hill square right now.

I’m thinking maybe we can get some sort of floating pitch that is stored in primark and we can watch it from Next, McDonalds, Starbucks and, the new stand, the mountain warehouse.

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Now if you told me this picture was taken in the USSR..

Ever been to Middlesbrough?

• Like 1