We really missed Jonny Rowe yesterday, I can’t see what Fassnacht brings to the team, love to know how many times he actually touched the ball.

• Like 1

Agreed. Would happily let him go this summer. 

• Like 3

He was better yesterday and had a few good moments, but usually he has been as useful as a chocolate teapot, despite getting a few decent goals.

Cedric Anselin, who was a very good co-commentator yesterday, actually spoke highly of Fassnacht's "intelligent" play.

Just a sub at best, though.

14 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Agreed. Would happily let him go this summer. 

How many of Steipermann, Hernandez, Zimmerman, Trybull or Vrancic would we have said that about though during Farke's first season? Foreign players in the first season here often struggle, its a lot of games at a fast pace with no winter break while living in a new country. Takes some adjusting to. 

• Like 16

47 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

How many of Steipermann, Hernandez, Zimmerman, Trybull or Vrancic would we have said that about though during Farke's first season? Foreign players in the first season here often struggle, it’s a lot of games at a fast pace with no winter break while living in a new country. Takes some adjusting too. 

Hppe so. But hard to be confident at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

How many of Steipermann, Hernandez, Zimmerman, Trybull or Vrancic would we have said that about though during Farke's first season? Foreign players in the first season here often struggle, it’s a lot of games at a fast pace with no winter break while living in a new country. Takes some adjusting too. 

I agree with this.

he is obviously a talented and intelligent player (combination many don’t have) but for some reason it isn’t just clicking at the moment. Not sure why, but probably as playing in wrong position or in wrong formation . He certainly doesn’t seem to be the type of winger Wagner actually wants them to play.

I've said before that id be tempted to try him more central in the number 10 position. Especially now it appears that actuality isn’t Sara’s best position.

Ironically he probably needs a run of games but unfortunately the odd appearances he is making don’t justify that.

I’m not giving up on him yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

How many of Steipermann, Hernandez, Zimmerman, Trybull or Vrancic would we have said that about though during Farke's first season? Foreign players in the first season here often struggle, its a lot of games at a fast pace with no winter break while living in a new country. Takes some adjusting to. 

Nail on head 

• Thanks 1

He’s good when we’re on top and aggressive and the game is played in the final third. He has a good touch, and is an intelligent player. Has the knack of getting into goalscoring positions. 

On the back foot, his lack of pace really hinders our ability to break out and relieve pressure. 

In summary, depends on game situation to his effectiveness. I’d not be quick to get rid, a decent squad player at this level and one who could still improve once fully adapted. Comparisons to Steipermann are not far wide of the mark.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 2

Could the coaching he is currently getting at City a possible reason for his misgivings.  Apart from a couple of the playing personnel you could use that excuse for poor performance.  Lack of fitness in the squad certainly down to coaching, those early season extensive training methods have not worked. 

4 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I remember thinking Vrancic was an absolute joke of a player in his first season. He went on to make himself one of my favourite players of that era,  maybe even if all time. He was class but I had written him off early on.

• Like 4

So foreign players are better value for money than home based players.

The challenge though is that bedding in time may have a negative impact especially if there is too much churn from year to year. Does the model allow for this?

We have that conundrum whereby he needs more gametime but he isn’t playing well enough to justify selection in the starting XI.

I'm not sure he's that great defensively; arguably better than Rowe and Sainz, but actually quite weak in the tackle. Combined with an inconsistent Stacey I do get nervous when being attacked down our right.

He's not a pacey attacking winger. A decent link up player and seems more effective when he drifts inside. 

7 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

No Janny Row yesterdai Neal, That Fassbender he dint score a ghoul or and assist, es raaabish Neal. 
Whatsthatallabout?

Sorry thats all I saw.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

I thought he was alright to be honest, although obviously we will miss Rowe. If Rowe remains out I'd still start him over other wingers on the books.

2 hours ago, splutcho said:

I thought he was alright to be honest, although obviously we will miss Rowe. If Rowe remains out I'd still start him over other wingers on the books.

Hernandez ?

10 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Bit unfair about Stieperman. He had to spend a large part of his first season as an emergency left back. When moved to his proper position (no10) he showed his true colours?

18 minutes ago, Ernie Wise said:

Bit unfair about Stieperman. He had to spend a large part of his first season as an emergency left back. When moved to his proper position (no10) he showed his true colours?

Very true, however I suspect and can probably remember some folk writing him off as not good enough regardless.

58 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Hernandez ?

100% over Hernandez. Persevering with him when he offers very little in terms of goals and assists is pointless. We need to grow as a club and need better quality players in the building. Hernandez should be replaced in the summer. Fassnacht offers more of a threat in front of goals in terms of conversion and is probably still adjusting to the English game.

Edited by jaberry2

Wagner's tactics do not use wingers as the FBs provide the width. How many crosses do Rowe and Sainz put in? Hernandez is the only true winger and even he is adapting his play to Wagner's system. The wide players cut in to provide room for the FBs to overlap and either cross or reverse pass to the wide player as he cuts in. Fassnacht is good in that role, but most of his goals come from his clever positional play when the ball is coming in from the opposite flank. He got in a good curling shot in that way early in the Coventry game. The suggestion made earlier about trying him in a Stiepermann role is an interesting one though, and I wonder whether Wagner may have considered it.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

On 04/02/2024 at 14:15, essex canary said:

So foreign players are better value for money than home based players.

The challenge though is that bedding in time may have a negative impact especially if there is too much churn from year to year. Does the model allow for this?

It does and it has 

On 04/02/2024 at 09:13, CANARYKING said:

We really missed Jonny Rowe yesterday, I can’t see what Fassnacht brings to the team, love to know how many times he actually touched the ball.

Bump, Fassnacht-complete waste of space

If there’s a player there, and I’m struggling to see that there is, there certainly isn’t out on a wing. 

Seems more of a (considerably-more-championship-level) Raumdeuter, in the vein of Thomas Muller to me.  Rarely keeps his width, and has no pace to speak of. But has good tactical awareness.

Wish we knew why Rowe did not start, could be many reasons, not back to full fitness yet, or maybe even head elsewhere after the transfer window.