KiwiScot

***Official Lappinitup Match Thread - Liverpool v Norwich***

10 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

We're Norwich. We will not just steamroller the Championship every time and will always struggle away atĀ Anfield. If you don't like it, support Man City.

We've done okay today, not brilliant, but not horrendous. We've also done well this year when we've had a fully fit squad. Wagner is not to blame for getting beat at Liverpool today or for having injuries to Sargent, Hanley, Sorenson, Barnes, Gibson, Rowe, Sainz, Gunn, Dimi, Nunez throughout our bad spell.

Yes we were outclassed, yes we got caught in possession, yes there were some soft goals but you have to have context - it's Liverpool away and we're Norwich. I find our fans insufferable at times.

Ā 

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I thought it was pretty horrendous at times to be honest. Some of our defensive play, marking and playing out from the back is utterly embarrassing.Ā 

Two agreeable posts, but there is a midground here, and we failed to hit that, which is a bit disappointing.

Naming 2 keepers on the bench announced straight away what our intentions were. That's fine if we can kick on in the league but we'll see what happens against Coventry.

Ā 

• Like 1

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

They have done haven't they? As indicated by having managed to score two against them rather than zero?

Maybe we watched a different game. I think we scored twice about the only two times we got out of our half. Just imagine if weā€™d tried to get out of our half a bit more.Ā 

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Architects of our own downfall. Their goals only came from our own shambolic defending and passing out.Ā 

always gift goals away to opponents. we never learn

Quite happy that we actually managed to score two goals,Ā but ultimately if you want to have any chance in a match like this then you need your best 11 out there all performing and an almost old fashioned cup match approach that the opposition arenā€™t expecting. Trying to constantly play it out of defence and presenting them with chance after chance was only going to end one wayĀ 

Edited by Virtual reality

2 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Maybe we watched a different game. I think we scored twice about the only two times we got out of our half. Just imagine if weā€™d tried to get out of our half a bit more.Ā 

We did try and get out of our half, we just aren't very good and we're playing against a team containing numerous elite players and a world class coach.

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

We did try and get out of our half, we just aren't very good and we're playing against a team containing numerous elite players and a world class coach.

Yes maybe the not being very good at it is more apt I suppose.Ā 

Pleased with the scoreline, which I feared could have been a lot worse. Had the referee not decided a Liverpool handball should be punished with a Liverpool unopposed drop ball it would have been 4-2, which surely we'd all have settled for at the start.

Disappointed with the performance,Ā  though. Too many players overawed/weak. Stacey, Fassnacht and Nunez especially gutless.Ā 

And I'm a big advocate of playing out from the back, but that was Einsteinian insanity. Just the architects of our own downfall too many times.Ā  They were always going to be better than us without giving them a helping hand.

• Like 3

Not a complete embarrassment but still looked like a training exercise for Liverpool.

Today was the perfect reminderĀ of what awaits in the PL most weeks, can't believe fans really want that.

5 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

Liverpool love in on ITV1... Banker's!Ā 

It's going to be insufferable if the media are going to harp on about Klopp leaving every single game.

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Looks like Kate Shanahan one of theĀ pitchside presenters with Wright and Fowler

It's Laura Woods.....

• Like 1

GOOD old Berny onĀ  radio Norfolk - he speaks a lot of truth- they should have him on the board at cityĀ 

17 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I imagine Liverpool would have scored twice as many goals.

9 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Not a complete embarrassment but still looked like a training exercise for Liverpool.

Today was the perfect reminderĀ of what awaits in the PL most weeks, can't believe fans really want that.

Yes. If only the PL afforded us some money to strengthen. I expect we will have to keep our two best strikers out, as well as our international keeper. And the thought of away games in the PL. How many fans would we take ? Look at today.Ā Ā 

Wise words DB, even if others don't see it that way.

22 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Sounds like Maidstone yesterday

After watching today, I'm more convinced than ever that one of the key differences between players of Liverpool's quality and those of oursĀ is speed of thinking. They were just quicker to the ball all the time because they were reading the game better and therefore doing things more quickly, not just when building attacks, but even simple things like being in the right position.

Some of that is coaching, of course, and Klopp has set them up very well. Their press is impressive. I thought the theory was that we were going to be Klopp-lite, but in reality we hardly press at all, and not just in this game. That aspect of Wagner has been very disappointingĀ (although buying a load of thirty-plus players hasn't helped).Ā 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Looks like Kate Shanahan one of theĀ pitchside presenters with Wright and Fowler

Ā 

9 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

It's Laura Woods.....

Yes, I just realised Kate was at the Hawthorns. It would have been somethingĀ if sheā€™d made it to Anfield bearing in mind the delay there.

• Thanks 1

For me another layer of chagrin, to hear our manager clearly quite happy afterwards.Ā 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I hear this comment a lot. What would you accept as an alternative? When do you want to book your place in the EPL?Ā 

I can't really get behind a Coach or Club that doesnā€™t try to win every game. Today, whilst not an unmitigated disaster, felt a bit half-hearted tbh.

Wagner has now set himself up to have to deliver a real barnstorming performance against Coventry. I'll be delighted if he can deliver that, but we will wait and see.

55 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Iā€™ve supported Norwich for 40 years not going to change now but thanks. Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m ambitious as a fan and want the best for my club. Iā€™m sorry I hold them to a higher standard than you clearly do and Iā€™m sorry I remember days when we competed with sides. Weā€™d of never set up like we did today under Brown or Walker or Lambert. Happy clappers are what is insufferable about our club. People who seemingly have no ambition to be anything more than we we are. Sadly that will be the legacy of Delia and Michael and the type of atmosphere they have cultivated at the club. Roll on the Attanasios and hopefully some actual ambition.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™ve always took the approach of games like this as a letā€™s have a go game. Itā€™s a free hit so why not go at them?Ā 
Ā 

like I said if you are that firmly behind Wagner and believe we will get the play offs with him Iā€™ll put 100 in that we wonā€™t and you can put your money where your mouth is. Iā€™m firmly of the belief that thereā€™s no long term future under Wagner for the reason Iā€™ve already detailed over the entire season not just against Liverpool.Ā 

Oh do give it a rest with your virtue signalling. Claiming to be ambitious as a fan is just facile, you watch 11 men kick a ball that is all. You don't hold them to a higher standard, you just moan a bit more, and show a greater dislike of your fellow spectators than others. Placing yourself on a pedestal is plain delusion. We lost a game which veryone thought we would lose. We hold a position in the Champs that pretty much everyone expected us to hold. Most of us wish is was better, but it is what it is. Get over youself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's going to be insufferable if the media are going to harp on about Klopp leaving every single game.

Neither Flower or Wright know the names of any of our players, they didn't even realise we put out a weakened teamĀ 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I imagine Liverpool would have scored twice as many goals.

Are maybe we would have? Bit negative to assume we wouldnā€™t do any better.Ā 

It was not a particularly good watch.I was not surprised the way we set up but there were far too many bad mistakes that you just cant make against a side like Liverpool.
I fear that had we set up differently and 'gone for it' the result would have probably been a lot worse and I can just imagine the posts that would have been on this site had we done so.
I dont think that we will be able to compete with much success even if we made it to the Prem but I guess that is the ambition of all clubs in the Championship althoughĀ having been there before failing to maintain your place there is very hard to take.

9 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

Neither Flower or Wright know the names of any of our players, they didn't even realise we put out a weakened teamĀ 

They were banging on about Idah testing himself against Liverpools defence prior to the game.. and he wasnt even starting.

17 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Are maybe we would have? Bit negative to assume we wouldnā€™t do any better.Ā 

We're an upper/mid championship side against a top Premier league side. Realism is the word you're looking for. We've seen us boss possession and get hit on the counter again and again in the Championship. No doubt in my mind that Liverpool would savage us if we tried to take that approach.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Hmmmm.....................bit like MaidstoneĀ šŸ˜ƒ

25 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Oh do give it a rest with your virtue signalling. Claiming to be ambitious as a fan is just facile, you watch 11 men kick a ball that is all. You don't hold them to a higher standard, you just moan a bit more, and show a greater dislike of your fellow spectators than others. Placing yourself on a pedestal is plain delusion. We lost a game which veryone thought we would lose. We hold a position in the Champs that pretty much everyone expected us to hold. Most of us wish is was better, but it is what it is. Get over youself.

First off you come across like a complete bell šŸ”” end but Iā€™ll bite and forgive you for your tone and general rudeness. I am ambitious as a fan I want my side to win things. If we donā€™t watch football with the ambition to win what are we even all doing here? Surely ambition is a key aspect of being a supporter? Going to each game with the aim to win.Ā 
Ā 

You can call it moaning if you like, Iā€™ll call it what it is and callĀ it criticism cause thatā€™s what it actually is.Ā Ā I would pose than moaning is something that isnā€™t backed up with a coherent argument. If you took the time to pay any attention to things IĀ post youā€™ll know I actually give pretty sound reason for the things Iā€™m unhappy with both from the club and from Wagner.Ā Ā 
Ā 

A lot of my criticism about today have been things that are applicable to the entire time Wagner has been our manager. Iā€™ll say it again thereā€™s no long term future of him in charge. He is a coach who is simply incapable of coaching a coherent defensive unit. I do not expect to beat Liverpool at Anfield. I just donā€™t agree with how we set up to play today. Playing a weakened squad undermines the integrity of the cup and is a bit of a slap in the face of the people who paid the money to go all that way. Playing a suicidal tactic of passing out from a back against a side that we all know use Ā high gegenpressĀ Ā is beyond idiotic. Iā€™m not saying we have to play hoofball but going more direct to keep it tight and get the ball away from our own goal seems to make sense right? especially given we all knew how Liverpool would play.

How else is a fan supposed to voice their disliking of something? Are we expected to just keep quiet and accept anything regardless? There is a malaise of acceptance of mediocre at this club which I believe comes from the top and Delia and Michael. Thereā€™s only so many years you can get fed the prudence with ambition line from them with less and less ambition. Itā€™s ruined the atmosphere at matches. Ā Thereā€™s too many fans too happy for a day out than anything else.Ā 

• Like 1