cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Peacocks V Canaries*

Never looked like scoring I’m afraid - couple of half chances but any team should be able to create them 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Zidane was technically superior, but the scary thing about Bellingham is that when Zidane was his age he was playing for Cannes at the bottom of Ligue 1, had played 150 fewer competitive games, and was still 2 years away from getting a France cap.

Who knows what peak-Bellingham could look like. It is easy to forget that he is still only 20, he's 3 years younger than Haaland.

For sure Zidane was more technically gifted than Yaya. Zidane wasn’t as box to box though with his athleticism as what Yaya was. I think Jude has the world at his feet. He’s still not as mercurial a talent though as people like Best, Gazza & Maradonna. I guess also because those players were flawed geniuses they become more relatable to the average fan? 

54 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Some lovely football in the last 10 minutes. 

It was actually about 15 mins BUT during that period the ball was never on the ground in the Leeds penalty box. Whilst it was good to see us in total control of the midfield for a change we never looked like scoring.

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Do you think? Yaya Toure didn't do a huge amount in the final third, Bellingham is all about the final third. He will probably surpass 50% of Toure's career goal total by the end of this season aged only 20.

I think Bellingham could play any position on the pitch and still look the best player so in a way he’s probably more like Ronaldo. The Yaya comparison was because of how box to box Bellingham can play although at Madrid he is playing a lot more advanced than at Dortmund or for England. 

Shame Sara missed and Idah failed to get his shot off.  I think we deserved a draw from that, and Farke was clearly relieved at the end.

Can only be optimistic seeing us going at a team like Leeds after the complaints of us sitting back in recent games.  I think this bodes well for the rest of the season personally.   We have plenty of fight and I think you can take a lot of positives out of this even being a loss.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Do you think? Yaya Toure didn't do a huge amount in the final third, Bellingham is all about the final third. He will probably surpass 50% of Toure's career goal total by the end of this season aged only 20.

Toure scored 79 in 316 for Man City, so exactly one in four. 

I know there's more to football than just goals, but Zidane and Toure actually have very similar goalscoring records.

Bellingham is an incredible talent though and even if he just maintains this level for the next decade he'll go down as one of the best of his generation, but he's still only 20 so could improve and last another 15.

2 minutes ago, vos said:

It was actually about 15 mins BUT during that period the ball was never on the ground in the Leeds penalty box. Whilst it was good to see us in total control of the midfield for a change we never looked like scoring.

That was the problem. It was some lovely football to watch had we been leading and managing out the game but we needed to test their keeper. Did he actually have anything to save in that second half?

If there is to be a loan incoming then it needs to be a striker. Idah is not a 'finisher' as is Rowe, and Barnes is way past his best Otherwise the reaction of the crown and Farke at the end told you much. It was not the easy game their last one against us would suggest this was going to be.

A bad night again for the whiners who had us being relegated, and for the binners who see Leeds  ever edging closer towards them (the two not mutually exclusive). And a bad night for the phone wavers as City fans were beneath the cameras and so their protest would not have been seen.

4 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

He’s still not as mercurial a talent though as people like Best, Gazza & Maradona. 

Brings us to the whole Messi versus Ronaldo debate doesn't it.

You've got two types of fans, you've got the ones who want to be on the edge of their seat waiting for a moment of pure genius and Messi will win their hearts, then you've got the data driven fans who throw a load of numbers around to argue the case for Ronnie being more effective. 

Debate will be had all again with the sheer numbers that Haaland will output versus the match winning brilliance of Mbappe, and the all round play of Bellingham. 

If Real Madrid get all of those three then no amount of Oil money will buy Manchester City another Champions League title.

21 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Never looked like scoring I’m afraid - couple of half chances but any team should be able to create them 

Are you seriously serious?

Would have loved to get something out the game but let’s not get too wound up about the result everyone - it puts Leeds just 2 points behind the binners

We were ok with more than occasional flashes of really good play....but, if you don't take your chances....and we didn't create many...

Oh well bring on them scousers....

Where was all the rolling round on the floor at every challenge and repeated time wasting when Farke coached us???

• Like 1

Refs should carry 3 cards....a red, a yellow and including an equity card, to show to those "Medic" and "Man Down" serious case o' twisted sock players or 'I've been shot by an imaginary stadium sniper'....Them hoodwinkin' and fakin' players probably think they're auditioning for the beach-head landing and assault scenes for a remake of 'Saving Private Ryan'..... 

• Haha 1

Generally OK performance and with the WBA game I think some good steps have been taken. It's easy to forget that a month ago we were still often looking like we were playing the wrong sport.

The next step for Wagner is finding a way to get Sainz, Rowe, Sargent, Sara, Nunez on the ball in attack. We have the quality to hurt teams.

Quality off the bench still a bit lacking also. I generally take it easy on Idah but out of all of our attackers I'd only have less faith in Onel taking on that chance today.

Edited by Mason 47

46 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Suppose this is the issue. We had all the lovely spells of possestion and passed it around well but..

Other than Saras missed open goal can't think of any clear chances we made

Didn’t see any of it but it seems we lost a tight game against a pretty in-form side. Annoying that we couldn’t force the chances to score, but we move on. 

47 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Brings us to the whole Messi versus Ronaldo debate doesn't it.

You've got two types of fans, you've got the ones who want to be on the edge of their seat waiting for a moment of pure genius and Messi will win their hearts, then you've got the data driven fans who throw a load of numbers around to argue the case for Ronnie being more effective. 

Debate will be had all again with the sheer numbers that Haaland will output versus the match winning brilliance of Mbappe, and the all round play of Bellingham. 

If Real Madrid get all of those three then no amount of Oil money will buy Manchester City another Champions League title.

Both messi and Ronaldo scored an incredible amount of goals. I think the debate ended though when Messi won the world cup with Argentina. For me Messi always seemed the more dignified of the two. Such a shame for us we never got to see him in the English league but also you can’t have it all I suppose 

I was at the game - I tell you what, leeds fans chanting the same two lines for 90 minutes was unbearable. 

There was lots to be happy with but that clinical play in the final third was none existent in my opinion. Second half I'm sure we had 100% of possession for a good 15 minutes & didn't look like we were getting close to their 18. Then we make a poor pass or lose possession  and leeds have a shot on goal. 

I honestly thought we were going to push a draw. 

We go again!

1 hour ago, JamieNorfolk said:

I was at the game - I tell you what, leeds fans chanting the same two lines for 90 minutes was unbearable. 

There was lots to be happy with but that clinical play in the final third was none existent in my opinion. Second half I'm sure we had 100% of possession for a good 15 minutes & didn't look like we were getting close to their 18. Then we make a poor pass or lose possession  and leeds have a shot on goal. 

I honestly thought we were going to push a draw. 

We go again!

Pretty much matches my view. Oh how we could do with an Emi/Wes/Vrancic/Steipermann pass picker right now. Great having possession but no good if you don't create anything. In reality Leeds could and probably should have won that comfortably, can't recall us creating much aside of Duffy and Sara half chances. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Toure scored 79 in 316 for Man City, so exactly one in four. 

I know there's more to football than just goals, but Zidane and Toure actually have very similar goalscoring records.

Bellingham is an incredible talent though and even if he just maintains this level for the next decade he'll go down as one of the best of his generation, but he's still only 20 so could improve and last another 15.

you are wrong   bellingham will go down as the best player of his generation  better than all the rest you mention

Edited by mastoola
spelling

10 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

There are only two possible conclusions I can draw from this post; you haven't seen the goal or you aren't using the word scapegoating correctly. 

He very nearly cost us a second goal.

It wasn't as bad as you’re making out. Bamford cleverly positioned himself between Duffy and Stacy... More blame should be laid at the feet of Sainz. Should've been on top of James and prevented the cross. 

As a centre half, you can't follow the striker everywhere. You have to defend area and hold position too. It's a balance. I agree Duffy should do better, and he'll think that too. But scapegoating him has to stop. He was brilliant against West Brom. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Where was all the rolling round on the floor at every challenge and repeated time wasting when Farke coached us???

He has got a bit more street-wise since, I guess.

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Cantwell was pretty bad at rolling around and as much as we all loved Emi, he certainly had his petulant moments in that regard!

10 hours ago, Bomber said:

Didn't Sara miss a tap in?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Didn't Sara miss a tap in?

Not quite a tap-in but a good chance from a cross, and McLean sliced a very presentable chance from a corner too.

On the whole I see yesterday as a more positive experience despite losing. We look a much better team and seem to be growing, which is a positive especially looking at how bad we were not long ago. We clearly have a lack of quality in depth and I still feel the likes of Idah and Onel need to be moved if we are ever going to progress. A couple of quality loan additions would help push us on or we will most likely just miss out on playoffs with this existing projection/team.

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not quite a tap-in but a good chance from a cross, and McLean sliced a very presentable chance from a corner too.

For me Sara has looked way off his best for a while. Started well but seems to of suffered with lack of form. 

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

For me Sara has looked way off his best for a while. Started well but seems to of suffered with lack of form. 

He needs a game or two rest for me, considering he's been playing full 90s even in most of the cup ties. Just looks mentally a little bit behind.

• Like 1