The Raptor

Footballers doing mundane/normal things

Nothing really interesting or exciting here but I've seen a few of them mostly outside of Norwich. 

Most recently saw Gibson walking along Yarmouth sea front with his partner. That's about as mundane as it gets. 

Was at Yarmouth stadium some time in Hughtons first year and saw Holt and Morison outside together which was funny to me at the time because during that season a lot of people were spreading rumours that they didn't like each other. Going to a greyhound race is pretty ordinary too. 

Years ago at school in Ormesby middle school a few of us were standing outside the front entrance and Dale Gordon was jogging past, can't remember his exact words but the jist was "forget school lads lets go for a run" and we followed him jogging for a little while towards the Spar but we were about 9 or 10 so couldn't really keep up. 

Saw Oli Johnson jogging to the ground before a game once too with his gym bag which made me laugh, even footballers have to get to the stadium on foot sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Nothing really interesting or exciting here but I've seen a few of them mostly outside of Norwich. 

Most recently saw Gibson walking along Yarmouth sea front with his partner. That's about as mundane as it gets. 

Was at Yarmouth stadium some time in Hughtons first year and saw Holt and Morison outside together which was funny to me at the time because during that season a lot of people were spreading rumours that they didn't like each other. Going to a greyhound race is pretty ordinary too. 

Years ago at school in Ormesby middle school a few of us were standing outside the front entrance and Dale Gordon was jogging past, can't remember his exact words but the jist was "forget school lads lets go for a run" and we followed him jogging for a little while towards the Spar but we were about 9 or 10 so couldn't really keep up. 

Saw Oli Johnson jogging to the ground before a game once too with his gym bag which made me laugh, even footballers have to get to the stadium on foot sometimes. 

I believe they actually owned a couple that raced. 

• Like 1

I saw Steven Whittaker inspecting a packet of frozen chicken in Tesco’s on Gaol Hill.

I assume he was checking out the nutritional information. 

See idah, McLean, Duffy playing golf at my course a few times. (well trying to play golf lol) 

Saw Hanley in primani too looking very bored with his missus 😂 

Here's an old picture of Adam Idah practicing what to do should ne convert one of the loads of chances he gets in every game

Idah norwich hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Speaking of Adam Idah, back in 2018, after the Lord Mayor’s Procession weekend, myself and a friend were hungover in Morrisons cafe enjoying a breakfast. Who should sit down on a table adjacent, but one Adam Idah with his mum and brother. He had a full English breakfast which he  ate with his family in complete silence. 

2 hours ago, Haus said:

Shared a table with Mike Walker in Jarrolds Cafe.  

I was in the same curry house as him. Don't know what he had though.

I once saw Steve Morison in the phone shop at Tesco.

I also saw EFL journeyman striker Chris Iwelumo buying pick n mix at the cinema.

I sat at the table next to Fabio Liverani (former Lazio captain and Italy international) and his assistant when he was coach of Lecce in Serie A. 

I served a few footballers when I worked in betting shops, but I believe only one of them used to bet on football. He did it a lot and is still playing now, and to the best of my knowledge has never been banned for it.

There are probably other examples which were too mundane to remember.

Met John Hendrie a few times and he would tell me stories about stuff, one of Darren Moore smashing the dressing room door down at Carrow Road. Every time I see him at our place I think "yeah, you're not so hard now are you as a manager"

Other than that, Jack Charlton was in the row in front on the plane on our honeymoon. He and his wife must have drained the free bottle of wine even before halfway across the Atlantic.

Saw Dean Ashton walking his dog down Newmarket Rd a fee years ago and both John Barnes and Alan Brazil at Centre Parcs.

Non footballing I was on the same flight as Richard Branson to Miami 30 years ago,  I believe it was Virgins first ever Saturday flight to Florida hence why he was on it.

2 hours ago, nu_matik said:

I very recently saw Placheta really struggling with the salad section in Old Catton Morrisons.

I remember not really being that surprised and said a quick hello and carried on

Didn't drop any on his foot, did he?

1 hour ago, Rocket Ryan said:

I've seen Peter Mendham........strip.search

Obviously before his induction at Knox Road

I saw Robert Snodgrass trying to force an empty paint tin into the clothing bank at Sainsburys Longwater. I pointed out to him that the clothing bank was just for clothing and he had to take empty paint tins to the council waste depot. He seemed surprised 🙄

Edited by Kathy
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Kathy said:

I saw Robert Snidgrass trying to force an empty paint tin into the clothing bank at Sainsburys Longwater. I pointed out to him that the clothing bank was just for clothing and he had to take empty paint tins to the council water depot. He seemed surprised 🙄

Biggest ego, smallest brain.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

Here's an old picture of Adam Idah practicing what to do should ne convert one of the loads of chances he gets in every game

Idah norwich hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Thought it was the Haka or Hokey Cokey 

10 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

John Barnes and Alan Brazil at Centre Parcs.

The idea of John Barnes at Centre Parcs is just bizarre. Like Zeus turning up at your local supermarket.

12 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Dale Gordon was jogging past, can't remember his exact words but the jist was "forget school lads lets go for a run" and we followed him jogging for a little while towards the Spar but we were about 9 or 10 so couldn't really keep up. 

1 hour ago, Kathy said:

I saw Robert Snidgrass trying to force an empty paint tin into the clothing bank at Sainsburys Longwater. I pointed out to him that the clothing bank was just for clothing and he had to take empty paint tins to the council water depot. He seemed surprised 🙄

These are just brilliant

11 hours ago, Herman said:

Curry?

• Haha 2

1) I stood in a queue with my daughter in a Subway after an away game while Hucks bought his little boy a foot-long.

2) For some reason this has stuck in my head since I saw it, delighted to have an opportunity to share it. It must be tongue in cheek mustn’t it? It’s almost Partridge-esque.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kathy said:

I bet if you told him there was a penalty for that he would take it.

• Haha 3

I saw Rio Ferdinand and his kids on the electric trike things at Presthaven Sands.

12 hours ago, Herman said:

Rogan Goss

Butterworth Chicken

Saw Tim Krul and family at Bewilderwood.

Edited by Ulfotto

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The idea of John Barnes at Centre Parcs is just bizarre. Like Zeus turning up at your local supermarket.

More like Ares, I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

More like Ares, I think.

This is the sort of conversation I can get on board with.

Originally I was going to go with Achilles, but thought the connection with the tendon was a bit confusing.

Not sure I see Barnes as Ares. Not really warlike. Mercury,  the winged messenger.

Alan Brazil is definitely "plumpy Bacchus with pink eyen", though