Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Now I believe!

Our best eleven on the pitch, a fighting team performance against a good team away from home, backs to the wall but deserved the win, key players performing well and the desire to bring home the points clear to see. Yes, still room for improvement - but that is a good thing.

So yes, for the first time since Farke left, I believe we can do something. The match was - for me - a season changing performance. We have seen the team win in the most difficult of situations - up against it, but up for the challenge and clearly playing for the manager and  the shirt with huge desire and class at key moments.

I was anti Dean Smith and I've been wanting Wagner gone too - but I think the players will take so much from that win - and so ought we as fans. We have witnessed the kind of performance that if repeated for the rest of the season, will see us in the play offs.

It was inspirational form front to back, defined by Rowe's goal and Gunn's spectacular save - but incuded everyone in a yellow shirt. Not going over the top with it, but I do think that it was the right performance with the right players at the right time to show that we do have something to offer this league this season.

Lets be avin' you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Our best eleven on the pitch, a fighting team performance against a good team away from home, backs to the wall but deserved the win, key players performing well and the desire to bring home the points clear to see. Yes, still room for improvement - but that is a good thing.

So yes, for the first time since Farke left, I believe we can do something. The match was - for me - a season changing performance. We have seen the team win in the most difficult of situations - up against it, but up for the challenge and clearly playing for the manager and  the shirt with huge desire and class at key moments.

I was anti Dean Smith and I've been wanting Wagner gone too - but I think the players will take so much from that win - and so ought we as fans. We have witnessed the kind of performance that if repeated for the rest of the season, will see us in the play offs.

It was inspirational form front to back, defined by Rowe's goal and Gunn's spectacular save - but incuded everyone in a yellow shirt. Not going over the top with it, but I do think that it was the right performance with the right players at the right time to show that we do have something to offer this league this season.

Lets be avin' you!

Agree with every inch of this.

Not quite as sure as you about how we will carry it on, but if we can and do play like that then we can beat many more teams. 

Hull didn't get it together but they often do, and their loss was due to us and how the team battled.

We lost so many second balls and Hull were much better at passing and winning the ball at times. We owe Gunny one but we did the necessary stuff well and got stuck into it

More of the same please, lads

3 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

LDC getting back to his unnecessary post starting ways. 
CC is not gonna like it

It was necessary for me. The first time in two years I've seen something that speaks to me as being a real positive sign. Our best eleven (imo), substitutions that worked, against a strong competetive team.....it was like everything clicked - not in terms of being brilliant football, but in terms of a statement of saying  "we are here, we're going to win this match whatever you throw at us" - and that is inspirational.

• Like 1

It’s not pretty to watch  but with our best 11 fit for the remainder of the season, I could see a situation arise where we sneak that 6th spot and face Ipswich in the play offs 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It was necessary for me. The first time in two years I've seen something that speaks to me as being a real positive sign. Our best eleven (imo), substitutions that worked, against a strong competetive team.....it was like everything clicked - not in terms of being brilliant football, but in terms of a statement of saying  "we are here, we're going to win this match whatever you throw at us" - and that is inspirational.

Glad it’s helping you LDC. 

• Like 1

Now let's bring in some new signings to give us a boost for the rest of the season. Wagner said the team will look different at the end of January so bring it on

The plus side is and always has been that the effort is there. Wagner is not a man who is easy to dislike so I can see the players will give their all for him. I also agree that at full strength we will potentially scrape enough results despite his awful tactics.

But we will not beat a decent side over two legs in the playoffs or win a playoff final unless he can change the way we are playing significantly and his tactics over the remainder of the season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with much of your original post and it is clearly our best 11 at the moment. However to call it our best performance since Farke is pushing it. Those early performances after Wagner first arrived, especially Preston and Coventry were like a breath of fresh air after Dean Smith.

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Lets be avin' you!

It was gritty. It showed the players could work very hard, defending with commitment against a very motivated Hull team. They played for the shirt and Wagner I agree. They also conceded very often in midfield and therefore we couldn't take control of the game, save for the superb rearguard defensive shape. Onel did well coming on. He is strong and shields well. It was a committed performance and all you can ask for each week.

Overall, I have the sense that it isn't sustainable over the course of a few games. Sustainable as in gaining points. On the defence so often (like against Southampton) will not work. This time though we showed resilience and it's great to have some positivity - thanks for your post. I am just wary of going gung ho in it being a season changing one. 

We badly need a new midfield set up (at least one defensive mid and a ball playing central mid alongside Sara. That ought to be Nunez or McClean but they've been pushed deeper. Hence our set up shape is defensive. We need two new midfielders (not Forshaw) because in attack we actually look very dangerous. Our scoring stats show we have the 'weapons:. We must gain control of midfield! Until that day comes I fear we will continue to struggle.

It's been said dozens of times. Just hope Wagner or the recruitment team identify it.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

It was gritty. It showed the players could work very hard, defending with commitment against a very motivated Hull team. They played for the shirt and Wagner I agree. They also conceded very often in midfield and therefore we couldn't take control of the game, save for the superb rearguard defensive shape. Onel did well coming on. He is strong and shields well. It was a committed performance and all you can ask for each week.

Overall, I have the sense that it isn't sustainable over the course of a few games. Sustainable as in gaining points. On the defence so often (like against Southampton) will not work. This time though is showing resilience and it's great to have some positivity - thanks for your post. I am just wary of going gung ho in it being a season changing one. 

We badly need a new midfield set up (at least one defensive mid and a ball playing central mid alongside Sara. That ought to be Nunez or McClean but they've been pushed deeper. Hence our set up shape is defensive. We need two new midfielders (not Forshaw) because in attack we actually look very dangerous. Our scoring stats show we have the 'weapons:. We must gain control of midfield! Until that day comes I fear we will continue to struggle.

It's been said dozens of times. Just hope Wagner or the recruitment team identify it.

Agree completely with this. There were positives in terms of effort, commitment and resilience but it is not sustainable in terms of winning points to play like that regularly as there were also some really awful elements to that display. 

9 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I agree with much of your original post and it is clearly our best 11 at the moment. However to call it our best performance since Farke is pushing it. Those early performances after Wagner first arrived, especially Preston and Coventry were like a breath of fresh air after Dean Smith.

I didn't mean it was our best performance since Farke, just that it gave me a sense of positivity for things going forward for the first time. I've barely been able to focus on watching matches this season, even when we won them, but last night drew me in and left me with that feeling that, yes, there is something there.

10 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Overall, I have the sense that it isn't sustainable over the course of a few games. Sustainable as in gaining points. On the defence so often (like against Southampton) will not work. This time though we showed resilience and it's great to have some positivity - thanks for your post. I am just wary of going gung ho in it being a season changing one. 

Football has fashions. The principle that the opposition can't score if they don't have the ball is sound, but that's the fashion now; everyone wants this style, so everyone's competing for the midfielders with the quality to pull it off. That necessarily makes recruitment for that style harder.

Not controlling midfield, but quality and resolute defending, with fast and efficient counter attacking can be a potent weapon as well, as we've seen at our own expense many times.

Maybe our players are more suited to one or the other, maybe a blend of the approaches, maybe a different blend is needed depending on who you're playing? I don't know. Those are questions probably better suited to a professional manager in the run up to a game. I don't see there's necessarily a problem if the answer is different from game to game and there's no identifiable pattern from game to game. Arguably, Lambert's success at Norwich stemmed from that approach.

We’ve had spirited away performances before, we’ve also crumbled and lost games we were leading. It’s the inconsistency that means we are mid table. I’m glad you are optimistic, but for me, there is no reason to believe this is the Norwich way going forward, when we have seen so many different (or indifferent) Norwich’s this season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Football has fashions. The principle that the opposition can't score if they don't have the ball is sound, but that's the fashion now; everyone wants this style, so everyone's competing for the midfielders with the quality to pull it off. That necessarily makes recruitment for that style harder.

Not controlling midfield, but quality and resolute defending, with fast and efficient counter attacking can be a potent weapon as well, as we've seen at our own expense many times.

Maybe our players are more suited to one or the other, maybe a blend of the approaches, maybe a different blend is needed depending on who you're playing? I don't know. Those are questions probably better suited to a professional manager in the run up to a game. I don't see there's necessarily a problem if the answer is different from game to game and there's no identifiable pattern from game to game. Arguably, Lambert's success at Norwich stemmed from that approach.

Yes, I take that point. My main theme though is that whatever style of play you adopt you've got to look at controlling possession. It's the main way of defending. The simple stuff ike breaking up play, positional strategies. You look at the best teams (even in our own league) and see how they are dynamic and also solid in midfield. I'm not advocating for a particular style (though have my favourites) but for set up. Clearly too, we don't have the players or perhaps the coaching to control. Or maybe other teams do it better.

My post is a constructive one and I'm not whingeing. There was much to be satisfied with. Yet, I want to see us far more composed and manage such games once we get in front. Someone else though suggested that Hull were a bit like us in the past, lots of possession but little end product. Think that was true. Only later on did Angus pull off two good saves.

• Like 1

I think it’s a really honest bunch of players who give everything every week. It’s not pretty and we have major flaws in how we setup which can be easily exploited but places 5th and 6th are up for grabs. I struggle with the levels of negativity whilst we have a realistic chance of making the playoffs yes it’s not 18/19 or 21/22 but the  in my opinion the players are leaving it out week in week out and deserve to be backed.

• Like 1

I still think we’d achieve more with Wagner gone. We could even make the play offs. We won’t with him. But I can see on results why he’s still here. Not on performances, however. 

Plenty of grit and determination. Plenty of hard work and they are clearly playing for the team and the manager. 

However, the quality of football is League 1 level. And it is not just Norwich. Hardly any team has impressed me this season. Perhaps standards are declining across the board?

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Lets be avin' you!

Hmm, so are you still wanting Wagner gone then?

It was a good away win. I don't think some aspects of the performance were very good at all, especially how we kept giving the ball away and sitting way too deep, but a wins a win and it was good to see some aggression at times.

Hull were a bit poor compared to their league position and they just played into our hands when they were lumping crosses into our box. Meat and drink for Duffy.

In touch with the play-offs and still everything to play for. We need a DM though so Sara and Nunez can be moved forward. It's heartbreaking seeing this talent wasted.

I love a Friday night win. It kicks the weekend off beautifully. Especially as I’d put a few quid on us to win last night. 

As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not sure I enjoyed very much of the game itself - ball retention was largely appalling on the rare occasions we actually had it but in terms of application to the task defensively, it was a job well done. Gunn was excellent and both goals were lovely. 

I maintain though that I don’t *like* the tactics and style Wagner is employing right now, but credit is due to the players for sticking with it and making it work. As grim as the Southampton game was to watch, the same applied then too. 

But where Wagner does deserve credit, is getting a win away in a rather untypical way for us and leaving the opposition manager in a massive funk, as Rosenior was post-match. I enjoyed that. 

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Lets be avin' you!

i Get what you are saying LDC and Wagner is winning games that is right ,

But Sarge and Hanley and all the players we have missed did not win that last night it was Rowe with Mclean at the back and a team he could have put out most of the season ,

it is not pretty or good football but he won so you can not take that away from him 

but why could he not have won more games in the season as he had most of the team last night available most of the season ,

i want Wagner gone but he is winning so i understand why he is not sacked 

Our last 10 league games form;

LWDWDWLLDW 

Within that we've had a battling performance against Ipswich and 45 minutes last night. Otherwise performances have been poor to average. 

That's hardly "inspirational" (ridiculous thing to say) is it?

22 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

LWDWDWLLDW 

Apparently that's Welsh for "inconsistent".

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

LWDWDWLLDW 

Within that we've had a battling performance against Ipswich and 45 minutes last night. Otherwise performances have been poor to average. 

That's hardly "inspirational" (ridiculous thing to say) is it?

Anything further back than the game yesterday is irrelevant. It was a line in the sand imo.....and I'm entitled to that opinion without it being called "ridiculous". 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Anything further back than the game yesterday is irrelevant. It was a line in the sand imo.....and I'm entitled to that opinion without it being called "ridiculous". 

Let’s hope you’re right LDC and this is the turning point. I’d love to see us go on a run but our style of football looks so turgid to me. We got our noses in front last night against the run of play through a beautiful goal and then Hull penned us in for large periods. Fortunately we have plenty of experience in how to get through games but I can’t see us really coming back in games where we go behind too regularly.

but… as you say if we can string some consistency together over the next 19 games then we have a sniff, there is certainly good players in that squad. 

Agree with some comments on here- but we really must not get overly  excited yet-