Sign in to follow this  
king canary

If we get banned...

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Expected assists? Pah! That's so 2023.

The future is ESTIĀ - expected successful throw-ins. Catch up!

After we basically scored against the sc*m from a NUNEZ long throw-in, I think this stat has taken on a whole new level of importance!

• Haha 2

The real issue with any forum is getting the balance right for the moderation and that is where @JonnyJonnyRowe 's forum did't quite work. it was too restrictive - and people want to feel they can say what they want within reason.Ā  That balance is hard to achieve because there will always be the one or two people who want to dominate proceedings, or get nasty when they feel their line is't being followed. I know this because I've had first hand experience of being persistently hounded in the past for opposing the popular view at times.

@Pete Raven did a good job at moderating - he let a lot go, but acted when really needed - and it is a difficult job, because to do the job thoroughly would need someone to be on top of it 24/7, which is impractical for one person to do on their own. Having several moderators - as @JonnyJonnyRowe 's forum had - might have worked, had it not been set up with the view of being squeaky clean.

Frankly, people don't want squeaky clean forums - they want a bit of argument, heated discussion and disagreement - it's the spice of life after all - and people should be allowed to speak their minds.....as long as they don't get abusive - with other posters or about people at the club.

So whether it's one moderator, or several, it ought to be possible to keep things interesting - even spicy - but kick out those who go over the top and spoil it for others. My experience on here, has been mixed with all sorts of opposites - huge support at times and also abuse and bullying at times too -so I feel qualified to comment on this subject. Without the help of moderation, I would not be posting on here at all - I would have long ago given it up as a waste of time - but underneath all the problems of running a forum, the responsibility for making it work lies with every single one of us - making sure we keep ourselves in check - and also means reporting abuse from others when you see it.

In other words, we all need to help those in charge of the forum - if we want it to continue, we need them to think we value it enough by keeping things civil, to confront abuse when we see it - and to show that WE care enough to look after it!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, king canary said:

...I'd like to invite you all to listen to mine and @hogesar's new podcast 'The Rest is XG' where we bring the magic of graphs to an audio medium.

Rotating guest will include @shefcanaryĀ talking about how our left back failing to track back is in fact a failure of corporate governance, @lake district canaryĀ to discuss which previous managers whos name rhymes with Baniel Barke we should rehire and @Parma Ham's gone mouldyĀ to talk for a solid 80 minutes while weĀ stroke our chins and nod.

You joke but I absolutely would subscribe to this.

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The real issue with any forum is getting the balance right for the moderation and that is where @JonnyJonnyRowe 's forum did't quite work. it was too restrictive - and people want to feel they can say what they want within reason.Ā  That balance is hard to achieve because there will always be the one or two people who want to dominate proceedings, or get nasty when they feel their line is't being followed. I know this because I've had first hand experience of being persistently hounded in the past for opposing the popular view at times.

@Pete Raven did a good job at moderating - he let a lot go, but acted when really needed - and it is a difficult job, because to do the job thoroughly would need someone to be on top of it 24/7, which is impractical for one person to do on their own. Having several moderators - as @JonnyJonnyRowe 's forum had - might have worked, had it not been set up with the view of being squeaky clean.

Frankly, people don't want squeaky clean forums - they want a bit of argument, heated discussion and disagreement - it's the spice of life after all - and people should be allowed to speak their minds.....as long as they don't get abusive - with other posters or about people at the club.

So whether it's one moderator, or several, it ought to be possible to keep things interesting - even spicy - but kick out those who go over the top and spoil it for others. My experience on here, has been mixed with all sorts of opposites - huge support at times and also abuse and bullying at times too -so I feel qualified to comment on this subject. Without the help of moderation, I would not be posting on here at all - I would have long ago given it up as a waste of time - but underneath all the problems of running a forum, the responsibility for making it work lies with every single one of us - making sure we keep ourselves in check - and also means reporting abuse from others when you see it.

In other words, we all need to help those in charge of the forum - if we want it to continue, we need them to think we value it enough by keeping things civil, to confront abuse when we see it - and to show that WE care enough to look after it!

Partially agree. A lot of us reported one particular post which went beyond decency and was highly offensive to those that have suffered cancer, or knew someone that had. Best cause of action is not to engage with them on any level.

I'm having very mixed feelings about this forum tbh. This might be the time to finally call it a day.

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Difficult to disagree with any of that.

The moderation on here is, in my view, absurdly light touch. To have Connor wade in with a 'final warning' having done absolutely nothing to try and nip these issues in the bud is a bit of a joke to be honest, and it happens because the owners of the site for some reason are asking their actual journalists to manager a forum alongside their actual day jobs so of course it gets ignored until we're at crisis mode.

Most other forums have a team of moderators, generally trusted posters with a solid track record, to keep a lid on things. It usually works pretty well and wouldn't be that hard to make work on this forum.

• Like 4

Right so having checked the suggestions I'm adding...

@essex canaryĀ to discuss all things finance. Occasionally we'll allow @wcorkcanaryĀ a right of reply as long as he only swears in moderation.

@littleyellowbirdieĀ can have a slot after LDC to make the case for rehiring a different manager, likely one that rhymes with Lean Cliff.

@nutty nigelĀ can do PUPS and chip shop etiqutte.

@PurpleCanaryĀ can have a 10 minute slot to do whatever he wants.

In an ideal world I'd like some local sponsors too, ideally companies I remember from Broadland 102 adverts in the late 90's.Ā 

Call call call....carptet call call call

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

You joke but I absolutely would subscribe to this.

Ā 

Just now, king canary said:

@essex canaryĀ to discuss all things finance. Occasionally we'll allow @wcorkcanaryĀ a right of reply as long as he only swears in moderation.

@littleyellowbirdieĀ can have a slot after LDC to make the case for rehiring a different manager, likely one that rhymes with Lean Cliff.

I take it back.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, king canary said:

...I'd like to invite you all to listen to mine and @hogesar's new podcast 'The Rest is XG' where we bring the magic of graphs to an audio medium.

Rotating guest will include @shefcanaryĀ talking about how our left back failing to track back is in fact a failure of corporate governance, @lake district canaryĀ to discuss which previous managers whos name rhymes with Baniel Barke we should rehire and @Parma Ham's gone mouldyĀ to talk for a solid 80 minutes while weĀ stroke our chins and nod.

I really donā€™t see why you would cut me off so abruptly mid-flowā€¦.

ParmaĀ 

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Partially agree. A lot of us reported one particular post which went beyond decency and was highly offensive to those that have suffered cancer, or knew someone that had. Best cause of action is not to engage with them on any level.

I'm having very mixed feelings about this forum tbh. This might be the time to finally call it a day.

Don't quitĀ Pantsy, I already get a feeling of a better community feel and a nicer environment since Connors post last night.

Edited by Ken Hairy

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I really donā€™t see why you would cut me off so abruptly mid-flowā€¦.

ParmaĀ 

I am saying nothing...šŸ˜

2 hours ago, king canary said:

In an ideal world I'd like some local sponsors too, ideally companies I remember from Broadland 102 adverts in the late 90's.Ā 

That's a door you will wish you had never opened...

Can someone DM me to let me know who to look out for as this sounds horrible? I was completely unaware of this. Also who was attacked although I can guess from the description?

15 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I'd rather cut off my penis with a rusty bread knife. šŸ˜‰

OTBC

Sounds like material for a podcast. ā€œThe rest is screamingā€?

15 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I'd rather cut off my penis with a rusty bread knife. šŸ˜‰

OTBC

John Bobbitt style? He went on to serious acting work so there could be an opening for you.Ā 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Ooooh what about me? Do I have a new job yet?

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Don't quitĀ Pantsy, I already get a feeling of a better community feel and a nicer environment since Connors post last night.

I hope so. Equally I'm a bit annoyed as the dreaded thread (it's now been removed) was reported some while ago but with no action taken. It seems it's the reaction to the highly offensive bit that has been called out rather than the offensive bit itself.

I quite like the idea of a new forum although I fear it will just be a Pinkun Old Boys brigade. I'd like to see all new user names with the content of the thread discussed rather than a default reaction just because it was created by Poster X.

Ā 

• Haha 1

Can we reintroduce a "Friendly Fridays" slot? (adapted for the appropriate day of the week...Tender Tuesdays, Warm-heartedĀ Wednesdays, etc.)?Ā šŸ˜

Apples

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Apples said:

Can we reintroduce a "Friendly Fridays" slot? (adapted for the appropriate day of the week...Tender Tuesdays, Warm-heartedĀ Wednesdays, etc.)?Ā šŸ˜

Apples

Leave that with me.Ā 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

Did wonder where those went

3 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

ā€¦you didnā€™t get the chanceā€¦šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚.ā€¦.wasnā€™t wrong though was I?Ā 

ParmaĀ 

Certainly that first statement is true...šŸ˜šŸ¤£šŸ¤©šŸ˜‚šŸ˜

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Certainly that first statement is true...šŸ˜šŸ¤£šŸ¤©šŸ˜‚šŸ˜

ā€¦you were taking journalistic notesā€¦šŸ¤£

Parma

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Binner

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

Today feels like a Thoughtful Tuesday after Connorā€™s advice last night. That said Iā€™m stopping off at theĀ at the Off Licence after this 13 hour shift ends so anything might happen.Ā 

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Today feels like a Thoughtful Tuesday after Connorā€™s advice last night. That said Iā€™m stopping off at theĀ at the Off Licence after this 13 hour shift ends so anything might happen.Ā 

One of my warning points basically says I have to be nice to you.Ā 

Despite our issues, I don't believe you likely reported me yourself. So a bit odd.

Complete unrelated to the above, how are you today Midlands?Ā 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

One of my warning points basically says I have to be nice to you.Ā 

Despite our issues, I don't believe you likely reported me yourself. So a bit odd.

Complete unrelated to the above, how are you today Midlands?Ā 

Have never reported you or anyone else and never would. Iā€™m in no position to do that kind of thing!Ā 

Iā€™m having a pleasant day at work thanks and hope your day is going well too.Ā 
Ā 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, king canary said:

When you call mattress man he reckons he's the best.Ā 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor