CANARYKING

Do you think Wagner knows he is for the chop ?

If he does why is he bothering with Cardiff ? I wonder if he still thinks he can sort this mess, perhaps dependant on Hanley and then Sergeant and Barnes bailing him out.

Does this read as he knows he is on his way? Certainly reads as he understands he needs to get positive results. But at Cardiff?

DW on Delia and Michael's phone call: "It meant a lot to me. I knew I had the full support of the owners and the board, but Delia and Michael picked up the phone at the right moment. It's not only about backing me, the most important thing is that they see the reasons why we're in this situation the same way I see it. It's great to have owners like this, and it shows that they care about the club. But we need results, and it's still a results-driven business. It was a very good conversation."

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Does this read as he knows he is on his way? Certainly reads as he understands he needs to get positive results. But at Cardiff?

DW on Delia and Michael's phone call: "It meant a lot to me. I knew I had the full support of the owners and the board, but Delia and Michael picked up the phone at the right moment. It's not only about backing me, the most important thing is that they see the reasons why we're in this situation the same way I see it. It's great to have owners like this, and it shows that they care about the club. But we need results, and it's still a results-driven business. It was a very good conversation."

Well there we have it. Unless Knapper has other plans he's here to stay.

I'm honestly coming round to the idea of supporting him through this mess... as mental as it sounds!  

I just can't see Knapper coming in and sacking him straight away without attempting to work with him first to sort this mess out. 

Wanger has to use this stay of execution by taking risks and being bold. Our first 11 is ****e and shot to bits. He needs to make some big changes, he now has nothing to lose. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Delia and Michael and Wagner

Ah, the DMW Canary Series.  Nice choice, sir, one of our most popular models in Norfolk. 

Bring it back in 12 months if you're not happy with it and we'll swap the Wagner-drive, we've had a few customers say it roars out the block only to stutter and get stuck in reverse as the winter months approach.

That said the Smith edition suffered from losing it's headlamps and windscreen when being parked overnight in the city.  So no guarantees.

Are you paying cash, sir, or did you want to go through the Attanasio approved PCP options?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 4

The only people who seem to KNOW Wagner is for the chop are people on this forum working on assumption / hope. 
Sadly however we have tight fisted owners and an inexperienced Sporting Director who will be day one on the job. Those two things likely mean Wagner will be here for longer than most want, I fear. 

Delia cares for the club apparently, doesn't give two hoots for other proper supporters.  That doesn't include me I gave up giving a tss a long time ago, just waiting for them all to go, for to feel enthusistic

23 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Ah, the DMW Canary Series.  Nice choice, sir, one of our most popular models in Norfolk. 

Bring it back in 12 months if you're not happy with it and we'll swap the Wagner-drive, we've had a few customers say it roars out the block only to stutter and get stuck in reverse as the winter months approach.

That said the Smith edition suffered from losing it's headlamps and windscreen when being parked overnight in the city.  So no guarantees.

Are you paying cash, sir, or did you want to go through the Attanasio approved PCP options?

The current model seems to only have a reverse gear 

Delia has learnt nothing in her time at Norwich City regarding managers. 

There should always be distance between owners and management, because they will have to sack them at some point. It's not a nice job sacking people as I've done that myself, but you have to protect your business as that comes first. 

Quite why DW and MWJ feel they need to call Wagner to offer 'their support' you have to wonder. The man clearly has run out of ideas and the team as a whole aren't playing for him. There is no way back. 

How many more games are we going to lose before a decision on Wagner that should have already been made, be made? 

Delia reminds me of my old headmistress; You could be as bad as you liked and she would invite you in for a cup of tea. 

Edited by komakino
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, komakino said:

Delia has learnt nothing in her time at Norwich City regarding managers. 

There should always be distance between owners and management, because they will have to sack them at some point. It's not a nice job sacking people as I've done that myself, but you have to protect your business as that comes first. 

Quite why DW and MWJ feel they need to call Wagner to offer 'their support' you have to wonder. The man clearly has run out of ideas and the team as a whole aren't playing for him. There is no way back. 

How many more games are we going to lose before a decision on Wagner that should have already been made, be made? 

Delia reminds me of my old headmistress; You could be as bad as you liked and she would invite you in for a cup of tea. 

She’s abysmal. We are no doubt stuck with Wagner until Ipswich hammer us. Then she’ll be forced to act. But it will be on her 

Wouldn't read too much into the statements. All involved have to talk positive, it's typical football front. Behind the scenes may be very different. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Unthink road said:

Wouldn't read too much into the statements. All involved have to talk positive, it's typical football front. Behind the scenes may be very different. 

was just about to say pretty much the same..

Wagner is toast, he knows it, everyone knows it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Unthink road said:

I wouldn't read anything into the statements, and not just because it is Wagner saying what S&J said.

• Like 1

If Wagner isn't going then bringing Knapper's start date forward makes no sense at all. The only thing that can be done is Wagner sacked/a new manager appointed. 

I think in the old days managers could fall on their sword and resign, Bond replaced  by Brown, Machin, Stringer, Walker and so on…. But these days the back room team pretty much come as a package, then you have the responsibility to think about the futures of all those that have followed you.  You can see how that becomes more difficult.

12 minutes ago, repman said:

If Wagner isn't going then bringing Knapper's start date forward makes no sense at all. The only thing that can be done is Wagner sacked/a new manager appointed. 

Wait and see. He's in charge for Saturday. Good things ahead. Just be patient. 

Personally I think Wagner will know his time is limited, but the the new SD is an opportunity.  If I was Knapper will want sometime to reflect on things, and then act in a way which gives him the best chance to improve the club.  If he walks in and Wagner has a plan which Knapper believes can reverse the situation he maybe tempted to support that and then do a full reset further down the line.  Knee jerkily changing the manager and recruiting new players may leave us in a worse place than sticking.  

27 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Personally I think Wagner will know his time is limited, but the the new SD is an opportunity.  If I was Knapper will want sometime to reflect on things, and then act in a way which gives him the best chance to improve the club.  If he walks in and Wagner has a plan which Knapper believes can reverse the situation he maybe tempted to support that and then do a full reset further down the line.  Knee jerkily changing the manager and recruiting new players may leave us in a worse place than sticking.  

As long as we don’t start getting too close to the relegation places I think the new SD will leave the status quo in place until he gets a feel of what needs improving and how to go about and make changes towards the end of the season 

• Like 1

I would have thought that the moment Webber handed in his notice, Wagner would have known that without success, a new DoF would probably want to bring in his own management team. Couple that with the current situation, then of course he must know he is gone after Saturday. 

I don't believe D&MWJ will be in a hurry to sack Wagner after the Farke experience. Even now people who supported the sacking of Farke, myself included, regret that decision. I don't hear a lot about Attanasio's thoughts either, but having just lost his 'Head Coach' at the Brewers I wouldn't have thought he's that keen on sacking the one at NCFC?

This season is pretty much a write-off save avoiding relegation. I wouldn't be surprised that if Wagner can get a result at Cardiff then he could get a bit of breathing space until Sargent, Barnes and Hanley are fit.

If Wagner loses at Cardiff that 9 defeats in 11. The only way Wagner can redeem himself is getting a result which currently looks impossible with the players seemingly not bothered. 

Another loss and we'd be the laughing stock of football to stick by a manager in that form 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Another loss and we'd be the laughing stock of football to stick by a manager in that form 

I think people tend to laugh at the clubs who sack managers on a yearly cycle, not clubs who stand by their man. 

If we got rid now and replaced purely as it's internationals coming up, it would mean we'd be on our 4th different coach in 25 months, that is shocking, and more indicative of why we are where we are. 

IMO He should stay in charge until we know what we're doing or we just create more instability, he's without first choice keeper, without our club captain and without both centre forwards for most of the season.  Not to mention that he's been without one of our most hopeful signings in Sainz since start of season.

I don't buy that he's lost the changing room, personally.  But If that's the case then the club will know, and would have to do the right thing.  Otherwise, i'm happy to back the team and Wagner until Knapper comes in assesses the situation and works out a plan.

I also believe we're as good as the top 6 with players fit, playing his system - we've already demonstrated that and it's no coincedence.

Edited by Google Bot

In many ways it might make sense to hang on to the man for now but, and it is a big BUT, the team is currently embarked upon such a catastrophic downward spiral that the longer Wagner remains in place the more ominous it becomes. 

Relegation form over such a prolonged period is just that and points towards the drop. The team is functioning in such a rudderless way that I, for one, am more than a little alarmed.

Even if he does get a result at Cardiff. Even if the team goes on a decent run can anyone really see this man being the right one for any sort of acceptable future for the team? He's hardly got enough about him to maintain a City side at mid-Chumps mediocrity level let alone push the team towards top-six.

It has been evident to me since the rot set in once we lost the Sarge and the subsequent burst of that initial bubble took place that David Wagner was not a very good manager. Tactics, substitutions and contradictory utterances amongst other things made it clear for me that Norwich City's future was likely to be bleak under the man.

His removal has always been an undercurrent ever since his initial bounce led to last season's awful run-in. It's been flippin' obvious to me except for the time when I was temporarily persuaded that the Summer signing (approach) was actually the answer. Silly of me. It has collapsed like a house of cards built on sand.

My hope was that he would at least achieve enough to keep us within touching distance of top-six in order to give any replacement a fighting chance of promotion. Hanging on to him has scuttled that hope. Now we talk of survival more often than we talk of top six. I firmly believe that our squad is better than Wagner gets from them. How much better is the question, I suspect quite a lot the answer.

Of course there are mitigating factors, injuries are the name of the game and our financial limitation are engrained in our psyche, but the recent accounts reveal the importance of a successfully functioning team for a successfully functioning club, Webber's waste or not, and the bleak future that mediocrity would have in store for the City barring a Lambert-like miracle. 

Knapper's appointment is a positive for me if for nothing other than his youth. There will be other attributes especially as he comes over as a "football man" in a way that the discredited Stuart Webber never did. 

Edited by BroadstairsR