cambridgeshire canary

Breaking; Wagner says he won't resign

Give DW some decent players before making a judgement. The problem runs deeper than the manager. Lost your two main strikers for starters. Give a manager some financial backing!!!

The complete lack of leadership at the club is killing it. Wagner needs to be gone and everyone knows it. Webber should be gone and everyone knows it. Game after game chucked away and wasted because nobody ever makes the decisions they need to make when they should be made. From top to bottom the whole club is in a state of limbo due to the ineptitude of our board, sporting director and coach. It’s so unbelievably frustrating. 

• Like 1

Webber resigned six months ago and, because Norwich do things differently to every other club, he's still here.

So why should Wagner?

Webber and Wagner should both be out the door before tomorrow, but unfortunately I expect they'll both still be here.

The players aren't playing for him, thats clear, so sack him and put a caretaker in until Knapper can appoint his man

32 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

utter cnut.

Sending round the players to take the flack at the end of the game.

Spineless.

Harsh and ironic. 

Harsh because spineless can’t be a word used against a guy willing to stand in the fire like he is currently. 

Ironic, because taking the flack is exactly what he’s doing for our board.. who are indeed spineless.

• Like 2

Its been long established that the problems at The Club run deeper than just Wagner and the management team. But yes, Wagner and Webber have to go otherwise this season is gone.

Edited by TheRock

Don't blame he  not to resign. Would you lose 12months wages ie £1m.Webbers won't give up their pile. And they are bleeding our club dry. Wagner looks shot, The Webbers don't look to stressed out. 

Can a 12 month rolling contract still have accountability clauses? Such as x amount of points off the play-offs at a certain point?

6 hours ago, slaphead said:

Don't blame he  not to resign. Would you lose 12months wages ie £1m.Webbers won't give up their pile. And they are bleeding our club dry. Wagner looks shot, The Webbers don't look to stressed out. 

Exactly. Why is Webber hanging around? Because he loves Norwich and wouldn't leave Delia in the lurch? Excuse me while I reach for my box of Kleenex.

The reason he's hanging around is because he plans to climb Everest next May and he knows he won't get offered a new job that will let him take the time off to do it, so he wants to keep drawing his salary for as long as he can while he 'hands over the reins' and simultaneously plans his ascent. And Delia and Michael are so besotted with this failed charlatan that they're allowing him to get away with it.

So why should Wagner do the honourable thing and fall on his sword? Would Webber? No, he'd stick the sword in someone else's back, like he did with Farke.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tea total said:

Give DW some decent players before making a judgement. The problem runs deeper than the manager. Lost your two main strikers for starters. Give a manager some financial backing!!!

I agree, fact is what manager would get anything out of this awful squad?

It seems under the present regime the Head Coach has little to do with player recruitment. Guess the change of title from Manager to Head Coach tells you that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

It seems under the present regime the Head Coach has little to do with player recruitment. Guess the change of title from Manager to Head Coach tells you that. 

I agree the problems run deeper. But I do not agree that Wagner is not a problem. It’s been a consistent theme of his managerial career that his sides go on long losing runs that he seems unable to address. Our players are not as bad as they are currently looking. There is an organisational and coaching issue. 

Look at the history of NCFC They Wagner and Webber, won’t be going anywhere! Remember the dream team!

28 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

At the start of the season we were doing okay. Not saying everything was perfect but we had a decent start. Barnes and Sargent being out is a massive blow, although Hwang had a decent game yesterday I thought. Hanley is an organiser at the back and we miss that big time. In possession we played some decent stuff but defensively we were poor at times. The manager can only perform with what he has and whether these players are Wagners players then only he'll know. Change at the top and investment is needed. Keep changing the manager isn't the answer.

• Like 1

The reaction when Wagner is eventually, mercifully, sacked will be a resounding 

“Aaaaaand… come on… who else?”

The cat is out of the bag when it comes to NCFCs back room problems, it was on TV for all to see yesterday.

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I agree the problems run deeper. But I do not agree that Wagner is not a problem. It’s been a consistent theme of his managerial career that his sides go on long losing runs that he seems unable to address. Our players are not as bad as they are currently looking. There is an organisational and coaching issue. 

I do think the lack of vocal anger from the stands yesterday is going to result in him being given Cardiff, which he shouldn't.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I do think the lack of vocal anger from the stands yesterday is going to result in him being given Cardiff, which he shouldn't.

I'm really surprised there weren't loud chants of we want Wagner out, especially after going 3 down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Satriales said:

I'm really surprised there weren't loud chants of we want Wagner out, especially after going 3 down.

The owners/board have sucked the life out of everything 

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Totally agree. It’s really damaging to our club that we have such an apathetic fan base, with plenty of daytrippers who are happy to clap whatever turd is being dumped upon the pitch 

Wagner is clearly here on a stay of execution. I do have a degree of sympathy for him, insomuch as he’s probably acutely aware of that and despite his voiced intentions (and positive ethos when he first arrived), he likely knows in himself he can’t turn this around. It’s not the first time a stint at a club has gone this way for him either, but that’s more a fault of Webber’s for bringing him in at all - though that was likely done in the hope he’d ‘do a Huddersfield’ with us. Sympathy being that it can’t be a nice place to be, knowing you’re missing objectives. That’s the human part of this. 

But… my sympathy runs aground the moment I think about the performances, the results, the in-game management, etc. It’s been a shambles, yesterday was bleak as hell, but it certainly wasn’t an outlier. It’s a trend. I’d bet if someone dug out some footage from Wagner’s other losing runs elsewhere , there’d be some familiar characteristics there. 

As mentioned on Canary Call, it is in retrospect a bit uncomfortable to think how organised and vitriolic the Worthy Out campaign was, while there’s an apparent (ironically) ‘resigned’ feel to this current situation with Wagner. 

I would much rather Wagner put his hands up and walked; something tells me the club has no contingency for a scenario in which Wagner resigns and it’d further add weight to the sense of shambles - which IS something to angry about. 

‘Andrew’ Hughes as caretaker manager, anyone? Just imagine if someone had made that prediction back in Hughes’ clapping/playing days… 

Edited by mrdi

Really do anyone believe the board will sack Wagner- they perhaps believe he can suddenly go on to a unbelievable winning run to get to promotion-or they LOVE him- its all a love in with this board of directors

2 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Really do anyone believe the board will sack Wagner- they perhaps believe he can suddenly go on to a unbelievable winning run to get to promotion-or they LOVE him- its all a love in with this board of directors

Lazy being another description 

Really getting p1ssed off with this being the fans fault.

I'm really starting to hate Wagner now. I have no doubt picking Warner ahead Batth was attempt at getting the sympathy vote as was bringing on Fisher.

At the end of the game he cowardly then sent said players around the pitch to get slaughtered by the Barclay while he slunk off.

I'm kind of hoping he will be here for QPR at home...

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm really starting to hate Wagner now. I have no doubt picking Warner ahead Batth was attempt at getting the sympathy vote as was bringing on Fisher.

At the end of the game he cowardly then sent said players around the pitch to get slaughtered by the Barclay while he slunk off.

Re the latter, he won’t ever get the anger that the situation deserves. Our fan base are far too passive for that 

53 minutes ago, mrdi said:

‘Andrew’ Hughes as caretaker manager, anyone? Just imagine if someone had made that prediction back in Hughes’ clapping/playing days… 

Not for me. He's already had a run in with fans, and in my mind the coaching team are a big part of the problem.

We just have to hope Knapper gets shot of the whole lot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don«t think Wagner has ever said it's the fans' fault. Unlike Dean Smith, for example.Which IMO is one reason he hasn't got the vitriol that Smith deservedly did get despite Wagner's obvious failure on the pitch.

We disagree on why Wagner chose Warner and brought on Fisher. I don't think it was the sympathy vote. I suspect he felt the older experienced players were deliberately trying to get him sacked by that point. Obviously this is pure speculation on my part, but God knows, they had been rubbish. 

We definitely don't want him here for QPR at home. That game could be the difference between a comfortable gap between us and the relegation zone or really being in the mix. 

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not for me. He's already had a run in with fans, and in my mind the coaching team are a big part of the problem.

We just have to hope Knapper gets shot of the whole lot.

I 100% hope not too - obviously- but wouldn’t it just be a new epitome of ridiculousness? 

Edited by mrdi

I can't emphasise enough that there is absolutely zero point in making any managerial change while Webber's grubby little hands are still pulling any strings at the club. A director of football has more than a little say in the 'direction of football' so pinning the blame on the head coach is missing the point. I'm not saying I want Wagner to stay, just that the absolute priority must be getting Webber out of the club before he can do any more damage.

It's plain for all to see that the idea of a transition period with a handover is just going to ensure the malaise is perpetuated; which is obviously the opposite of what we need. The club needs a fresh start with a clean break from the negativity. That means getting Webber and Wagner out ASAP as well as all of the first team coaching staff. The roles should be filled in the interim on a week by week basis until the new sporting director is in place and able to appoint a new coaching team.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I can't emphasise enough that there is absolutely zero point in making any managerial change while Webber's grubby little hands are still pulling any strings at the club. A director of football has more than a little say in the 'direction of football' so pinning the blame on the head coach is missing the point. I'm not saying I want Wagner to stay, just that the absolute priority must be getting Webber out of the club before he can do any more damage.

It's plain for all to see that the idea of a transition period with a handover is just going to ensure the malaise is perpetuated; which is obviously the opposite of what we need. The club needs a fresh start with a clean break from the negativity. That means getting Webber and Wagner out ASAP as well as all of the first team coaching staff. The roles should be filled in the interim on a week by week basis until the new sporting director is in place and able to appoint a new coaching team.

There is absolutely 100% point in getting rid of Wagner. I agree we should not recruit a new guy til Knapper is in or unless he is part of the process.

But we need to change  it now. We have zero chance of any points from the next 2 or 3 games if we don’t and the horrendous atmosphere will continue. 

Edited by Jim Smith