Browno

Ben Knapper - New Sporting Director

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Anyone going to miss Mr Egotistical? I’m not. 

You should. He's given us some incredible memories, responsible for some of the best players to have played here and left the club facilities in a significantly better situation than when he arrived.

As much as I believe he should have gone after the last Premier League relegation, the day he leaves should be marked as a sad one for the club and a definite end of a period of time which has seen some incredible times. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, essex canary said:

Fair enough. The point is they don't pay to the same extent as the UK. FACT.

As you seem to be an expert can you explain how the TV funding works in the ROI?

I'm not saying he looks too young but if it doesn't work out, he could always get a run out in the under 19's squad

4 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You should. He's given us some incredible memories, responsible for some of the best players to have played here and left the club facilities in a significantly better situation than when he arrived.

As much as I believe he should have gone after the last Premier League relegation, the day he leaves should be marked as a sad one for the club and a definite end of a period of time which has seen some incredible times. 

I'm generally extremely negative about Webber, but your first paragraph is basically true. He leaves behind a much better club infrastructure and he was a key part of those two fantastic promotions.

Sadly, your second paragraph is true as well, though, and, with the exception of Sara, he has been a liability for the club since the nightmare transfer window on our second promotion, not just in terms of the steep decline in quality of players and results on the pitch, but also the relationship between the club and the fans and local media. 

I was really scared he would withdraw his resignation and that withdrawal would be accepted by the club.

Personally I'm delighted he's gone because that period of time which you mention has been over for quite a while, with almost none of the 18-19 team here anymore and a disgruntled fan base which dreams of promotion but knows deep down that we have become a mid-table Championship club. Webber is almost the last thing to go from that period, and IMO the club cannot begin to rebuild from this low point until he leaves. The new start may not be successful but at least it can begin. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

That pun deserves to rest for aeons in a grimey grave 

Hoo Hoo Hoo...I see what you did there....

10 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Wasn't being 100% serious - see the next line of my post. The pun was good enough for Mello Yellow to copy it - but then they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

Actually I'm on dial up....and I submitted my post at least 47 minutes before you....so please don't accuse me of plagiarism....

I have a reputation to keep....(Oh, and it's Yello)....

4 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I preferred our time under David McNally and Mr Bowkett...

• Like 2

I suppose these days it would be unusual to get someone in this role who doesn't promote the analysis, analytics and sport science side of the game.

https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/subjects/features/graduate-q-and-a-ben-knapper-sports-coaching-and-performance

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-fc-ben-knapper-norwich-sporting-director-edu-b1111973.html

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

People seem to hate Webber but you make a good point. Those championship years under him and Farke were some of the best years I’ve had supporting Norwich (last 45 years).

Mistake the club made was sacking Farke rather than Webber. It was the rubbish players we bought that caused the issue and if we are to believe the reports it was Webber who decided on quantity rather than quality, a huge error.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yes, he started well but has single-handedly created the financial disaster that has required the begging bowl to be thrust out to some random Americans.

Of course, the big losers from that are actually the ex-majority shareholders who have effectively given away their control on the cheap, but is also seen on the pitch with recruitment largely currently being limited to free agent journeymen.

Yes, the facilities are better than pre Webber, but the squad certainly isn’t - of course it may all be a blessing if the random Americans can steer us out of trouble but only time will tell.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Anyone going to miss Mr Egotistical? I’m not. 

Nope, maybe it's a CEO thing but he reminds me of my boss, who is an out of touch, workaholic, narcissistic twerp. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

I think that period ended when he sacked Farke.

Webber achieved some great things for the club, but he’s also overseen the two poorest top flight seasons in our history.

Also bar the structural improvements he has arguably left us in a similar footballing position to how he found us.

If he’d kept his ego in check in public I think he’d be far more warmly remembered than he (at least initially) probably will be.

• Like 1

How much did we spend on the facilities? I can't remember being 33 million in debt when he took over. 

15 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I'm really happy with this. Looks a good fit on paper and everyone needs to make a step up in their career at some point. This is his chance. Good luck Ben and welcome to the club!

I agree people need to step up in careers, my objective point to that though is that as a supposed top 26 club the step up should be from a successful position at a lower level club. Their original step up is to take a DoF job at a lower level first. I hope I’m wrong and the lad smashes it out of the park but I just don’t agree with us being a his apprenticeship in the job as I don’t think we can afford to have any missed steps along the way without catastrophic consequences. 

when I’m hiring people at work, I’m much less likely to give the job to someone I’ve got to train for 6months to do the job because they’ve no experience. I am much more likely to hire someone who can come in and start on Monday. 

Objectively I think other than Pukki and Buendia the rest of the signings have been mid. I loved Emi but I also loved James Maddison who I believe is now a better player than Buendia. I think if we’d had 3 seasons with Maddison we’d view him in the same way we do Emi. 

Facilities have improved for sure. But it also should constantly be improved. I don’t see it any different than me redoing my kitchen every 10 years to keep it up to date. Also the entire spend on the facilities is less than what people spend on a half decent player these days. 

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

You beat me to it, I was just reading that! Sounds like BK is highly regarded.

If Cox of Man Utd was the other leading candidate, it's really beginning to feel we'll be looking to improve the way we develop young players as one of the key strategies going forward.

It could be quite exciting seeing this all develop.

25 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Glowing stuff. He's just thirty-four unusually young for such a role. I'd been trying to find out his age as it wasn't exposed from previous articles. 

I get more encouraged by the column inch. Have we discovered a gem here? I'll hesitate to be over enthusiastic, but I suspect he'll be his own man and not a 'Happy Clapper Knapper' (Ugh!) at least.

I have stated before that there has often seemed to be an element of the 'spiv' about the role with the only difference being a slight change of title. This is probably unfair as I have really just McNally, Moxey, Webber and Ashton (at the 'Loo) to go by. That this new chap seems younger and far more football integrated (including being an ex-pro) might turn out to be a good thing in an age where the likes of McKenna down the road are making waves.

Edited by BroadstairsR

If this new guy can simply talk for 5 minutes without coming across as a complete d1ck, he'll be an improvement on the last.

It will be refreshing to have a sporting director who just gets on with their job rather than feeling the need to verbally ejaculate every time someone asks him a question.

OTBC

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Objectively I think other than Pukki and Buendia the rest of the signings have been mid. I loved Emi but I also loved James Maddison who I believe is now a better player than Buendia. I think if we’d had 3 seasons with Maddison we’d view him in the same way we do Emi. 

Facilities have improved for sure. But it also should constantly be improved. I don’t see it any different than me redoing my kitchen every 10 years to keep it up to date. Also the entire spend on the facilities is less than what people spend on a half decent player these days. 

Pukki and Buendia was a fluke. They were both great signings and those responsible should get a lot of credit for that. But they weren't signed as a pair. And it was the telepathy between them that won two championships. Webber couldn't replicate that. I doubt anyone will. It was a once in a lifetime occurrence. It lifted our ceiling to top 20. But no higher. Now our ceiling is where it was before they signed.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

If this new guy can simply talk for 5 minutes without coming across as a complete d1ck, he'll be an improvement on the last.

It will be refreshing to have a sporting director who just gets on with their job rather than feeling the need to verbally ejaculate every time someone asks him a question.

OTBC

I imagine once the Americans take over fully, take the club and turn it private, our SD or CEO will simply toe whatever party line is required ala Doncaster and that'll be a consistent complaint on here in a couple years time, with fans wishing they just had some 'honesty'.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I imagine once the Americans take over fully, take the club and turn it private, our SD or CEO will simply toe whatever party line is required ala Doncaster and that'll be a consistent complaint on here in a couple years time, with fans wishing they just had some 'honesty'.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I just want someone who will shut their mouth and get on with their job.

OTBC

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

You beat me to it, I was just reading that! Sounds like BK is highly regarded.

If Cox of Man Utd was the other leading candidate, it's really beginning to feel we'll be looking to improve the way we develop young players as one of the key strategies going forward.

It could be quite exciting seeing this all develop.

Or frustrating when we sell them with potential instead of building anything that resembles a team.  Keeps the money coming in but will  not get us  competing in the Premiership   

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hopefully I'm wrong.

We don't have any honesty now , but are supposed to be a family club ,where the fans are everything.  

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I think that period ended when he sacked Farke.

The turning point of course was the summer preceding that when he sold Buendia and failed to adequately replace Skipp. The recruitments weren't good enough, the spine of the team had been ripped out, and Farke was thrown under a bus as a result. 

It's been a gradual downhill slide since then. What's telling is two successive managers since have made almost no difference to the trajectory. Poor recruitment over successive seasons has reduced us to a mid-table championship side.

These days of course, money is the main issue. But had we been more careful with recruitment when we had premier league TV money, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Webber had an amazing start, but the last few years of his tenure have been catastrophic for the club. 

• Like 2