Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Where is Hoggy?

8 minutes ago, S_81 said:

It’s a squad game, as you well know. Mumba is still a far better option than any of Onel, Placheta or McCallum. Dimi is also inconsistent. Rowe has been excellent, I’m not arguing that. And I hope Sainz is equally so. But selling Mumba for a million was a mistake and I will never agree with you that it wasn’t. 

Mumba didn't want to be a squad option. He wanted to start week in week out - at the time you decided he was better than Rowe but absolutely no idea what you based it on. I'd have been happy to keep Mumba as a squad option. I reckon Wagner would have been happy to have him as a squad option too, since he gave him pre-season with us..

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Mumba didn't want to be a squad option. He wanted to start week in week out - at the time you decided he was better than Rowe but absolutely no idea what you based it on. I'd have been happy to keep Mumba as a squad option. I reckon Wagner would have been happy to have him as a squad option too, since he gave him pre-season with us..

Rowe has the ability to play more centrally also. Maybe even a 10. There really is nothing to say they couldn’t have both been accompanied. Bar Wagner’s lack of flexibility as a manager. And I still think Mumba could have been a better left back option. But it’s done now. 

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s often a welcome counter balance to the tidal wave of miserabilism from you, DCB and many others. Is he not allowed his opinion? If he backs it up and gives reasons (which I guess is where this accusation of a “pompous” tone comes from) why shouldn’t he posts what he likes on here?

Too many of the negative posts seem to me to just be “we’re sh1t”, “Gibson/Huang/McLean etc is sh1t” with no thought or justification, it’s just posters venting. I don’t believe Hogesar does this. A discussion is what we should be having on here. If people want to vent, take up golf, start drinking or something.

this, 100%.

Hoggy probably errs on the side of over-optimism but much rather that approach to life than the relentless miserablism that we see from the OP and many others on this board.

Though I do think, and have said before, that this board clearly serves a useful purpose for the terminally grumpy. If it means fewer wives being shouted at, fewer cats being kicked, then I guess it's a good thing. And there's always the 'ignore user' service...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s often a welcome counter balance to the tidal wave of miserabilism from you, DCB and many others. Is he not allowed his opinion? If he backs it up and gives reasons (which I guess is where this accusation of a “pompous” tone comes from) why shouldn’t he posts what he likes on here?

Too many of the negative posts seem to me to just be “we’re sh1t”, “Gibson/Huang/McLean etc is sh1t” with no thought or justification, it’s just posters venting. I don’t believe Hogesar does this. A discussion is what we should be having on here. If people want to vent, take up golf, start drinking or something.

He’s perfectly entitled to it. I‘m not suggesting otherwise. But I’m clearly not alone in disliking his manner in how he makes it. Nor am I alone in finding it suspicious that he’s so relentless in tackling any form of criticism about the malaise we find ourselves in 

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

He’s perfectly entitled to it. I‘m not suggesting otherwise. But I’m clearly not alone in disliking his manner in how he makes it. Nor am I alone in finding it suspicious that he’s so relentless in tackling any form of criticism about the malaise we find ourselves in 

I don’t think that’s true. For one, he’s just said if it was up to him he would have kept Mumba.

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh no...not again....

To paraphrase what an idiot poster on the club's message-board said when Joe Ferrari denied the accusation that he was actually PurpleCanary: "Oh come on, Hoggy, we all know you're Tom Smith."

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

To paraphrase what an idiot poster on the club's message-board said when Joe Ferrari denied the accusation that he was actually PurpleCanary: "Oh come on, Hoggy, we all know you're Tom Smith."

Ah! What a throw-back to simpler message-board times...or maybe not, as the case were.... 😄 

• Haha 1

I probably will never agree with Hoggy before I shuffle off and we have had a couple of barneys. But just the same as after a win, or a loss, there is always someone who provokes by posting quiet on here or where is Hoggy. Last night I posted, out of sarcasm, quiet on here tonight, because of the volume of posts. And I must say I tended to agree with most of them.

I find it difficult to believe that many cannot see we are going backwards after an era where we should have solid foundations so we are both financially and sportingly able to progress even further.

But many will wonder what I cannot see. And of course we all have our own level of what we get out of each match let alone each season.

Some posters like to vent their spleen with the minimum of words while others like to delve into the causes. I must admit Mrs KG came into the dining room where I sit and watch matches and asked ne to stop swearing. Once when Onel gave the ball away when a simple pass would have done, once when Rowe lost the ball when Hwang could have been put in and finally when Adam missed, to me gents and ladies, a sitter. Heart on my sleeve. That is me.

But the thing that annoys me most is the daft annoying posts that have no real opinion, research or acceptance. I can laugh at Keith Scott and I do, believe me or not Hoggy, read your responses and have been known to nod my head. Whereas someone who just posts "we're fcukin siht" may be right but only serves in trying to wind others up.

I think what I have gone round the houses trying to say is that its probably best not to post on here directly after a loss  and avoid the negatives but also stop winding those who do when when win a match. Quid pro quo.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I probably will never agree with Hoggy before I shuffle off and we have had a couple of barneys. But just the same as after a win, or a loss, there is always someone who provokes by posting quiet on here or where is Hoggy. Last night I posted, out of sarcasm, quiet on here tonight, because of the volume of posts. And I must say I tended to agree with most of them.

I find it difficult to believe that many cannot see we are going backwards after an era where we should have solid foundations so we are both financially and sportingly able to progress even further.

But many will wonder what I cannot see. And of course we all have our own level of what we get out of each match let alone each season.

Some posters like to vent their spleen with the minimum of words while others like to delve into the causes. I must admit Mrs KG came into the dining room where I sit and watch matches and asked ne to stop swearing. Once when Onel gave the ball away when a simple pass would have done, once when Rowe lost the ball when Hwang could have been put in and finally when Adam missed, to me gents and ladies, a sitter. Heart on my sleeve. That is me.

But the thing that annoys me most is the daft annoying posts that have no real opinion, research or acceptance. I can laugh at Keith Scott and I do, believe me or not Hoggy, read your responses and have been known to nod my head. Whereas someone who just posts "we're fcukin siht" may be right but only serves in trying to wind others up.

I think what I have gone round the houses trying to say is that its probably best not to post on here directly after a loss  and avoid the negatives but also stop winding those who do when when win a match. Quid pro quo.

We disagree on lots and on top of that, we've had a few altercations but you've always given reasons for your opinions and I don't think anyone can have an actual problem with that. We have different views on lots of things but i've never come close to blocking or ignoring you. 

Your last point is pertinent. I tried the match-thread at the start but I realised that the venting and (imo) OTT reactions weren't for me, so I backed out. But I don't mind if other people want to do that. I think it helps some to vent and go for the "we're sh*t" lines. I get just as irate at football but I tend to calm down from trying to discuss and analyse. And I know that's not for everyone 🙂

• Like 2

Genuinely find it mystifying why anybody would be irritated by Hogesar's posts, unless they just really don't like anything that suggests problem-solving in football might be more complicated than simply finding someone off-pitch to sack.

24 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Genuinely find it mystifying why anybody would be irritated by Hogesar's posts

Hoggy doesn't suffer fools gladly, which tends to irritate said fools, understandably.

• Like 6

Firstly, let's be clear, @hogesar clearly isn't Tom Smith and doesnt work for the club. In fact he's pretty open about who he is 'in real life' it doesn't take much to find out.

Secondly, this forum has certainly been a bit heated of late and I've noticed plenty of usually sensible posters becoming increasingly abrasive in their style. Certainly I'd recommend hoggy could dial down the amount of digs at nameless 'some of our fans' that have become increasingly common in his posts but that's entirely up to him. I'd also commend him for steering clear of the match threads. I think it was @canarydan23 who once said he's going to be more emotive and less rational when the match is ongoing, which is part of the general supporter experience. No point joining in that thread if it's going to wind you up.

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Joe Ferrari/owns a Ferrari. Easy mistake to make...

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, king canary said:

Firstly, let's be clear, @hogesar clearly isn't Tom Smith and doesnt work for the club. In fact he's pretty open about who he is 'in real life' it doesn't take much to find out.

Secondly, this forum has certainly been a bit heated of late and I've noticed plenty of usually sensible posters becoming increasingly abrasive in their style. Certainly I'd recommend hoggy could dial down the amount of digs at nameless 'some of our fans' that have become increasingly common in his posts but that's entirely up to him. I'd also commend him for steering clear of the match threads. I think it was @canarydan23 who once said he's going to be more emotive and less rational when the match is ongoing, which is part of the general supporter experience. No point joining in that thread if it's going to wind you up.

Part of the reason I opted out of the match threads 😅

Hoggy's fine and I'd rather his perspective than Buh or BKS. Yes his pragmatism can sometimes be a little frustrating, but it's way preferable to the 'sack everyone' brigade every time we lose.

I wouldn’t cancel anyone - a variety of opinions and characters is what makes the board work. It amuses me that I am seen as a miserablist because literally nobody in real life has ever accused me of that- quite the reverse. I guess our online personalities are different! 

Ultimately every fan should feel frustrated about the point we find ourselves at. It’s all relative, of course. There are many teams that would kill for our position. But it’s also relative to where we could have been with better decision making. This board is a place to discuss that. And some, myself included, should perhaps at times explain our viewpoint with a little less frustration. But equally some people should dial down on their relentless interventions on why we are wrong to feel aggrieved. 

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Hoggy doesn't suffer fools gladly, which tends to irritate said fools, understandably.

Ultimately that is fine but the problem is who you define as a fool.

Our old pal Bill/City 1st/whoever would probably say he didn't suffer fools gladly. The issue was he designated basically everyone who disagreed with him on any issue to be a fool and thus became belligerent to basically everyone. Morty got banned because he wouldn't suffer one particular (in his opinion) fool and derailed them.

Not saying Hoggy is doing this but if you start thinking everyone else is a fool you may need to step back and take a breath.

32 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Ultimately every fan should feel frustrated about the point we find ourselves at. It’s all relative, of course. There are many teams that would kill for our position. But it’s also relative to where we could have been with better decision making. This board is a place to discuss that. And some, myself included, should perhaps at times explain our viewpoint with a little less frustration. But equally some people should dial down on their relentless interventions on why we are wrong to feel aggrieved. 

When you say "relentless interventions" I assume you mean "reply in disagreement?" - because that's all I can really put against it. 

• Like 1

Also, I'm glad that after 2 pages most long-term posters on here have, in a more polite way, essentially said:

"Hogesar? Bit of a tw*t, but could be worse"

Which to be fair, is above expectation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

When you say "relentless interventions" I assume you mean "reply in disagreement?" - because that's all I can really put against it. 

The point I’m making is that you choose, often, almost obsessively I’d say, to challenge any negative opinion regarding the club. Even though the comment wasn’t directed at you. This is a forum and that’s your right and I’m not questioning that - but I dk question why you feel the need to be so consistent in your defence of some of individuals and their decision at the club. It does lead to the impression that you’re working there, as it’s frankly odd to defend this lot to the degree that you do. 

Edited by S_81

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Good post Pops. But I’m different I guess because I find it difficult to believe people our age can’t recognise Norwich City’s orbit. It’s never really changed. It’s been a continual cycle but has spun quite fast in recent years. Question is are we on the way back up or still going down. I honestly don’t know and it’s too early in the season to tell.

As for the posting on here after the game, I had my eyes opened after Plymouth when I was told ranting on here saved people taking it out on their families…

Edited by nutty nigel

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Also, I'm glad that after 2 pages most long-term posters on here have, in a more polite way, essentially said:

They can probably say the same about me to be fair.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

37 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

They can probably say the same about me to be fair.

‘ Bit of a tw*t but could be worse ‘ must apply to anyone who ever posted anything on a message board, ever.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

maggie-smith-kettle.gif.9fc5c96bfabc206de3c255ac6d3288c6.gif

...except to both read and reply to a thread about him, which is exactly the way to show you aren't bothered by him anymore .... 🤣

It's ABOUT him so which part of not replying to him or reading his posts do you fail to understand?

But you are right, shouldn't have bother in the first place.

I wish him well.... I just don't reply to rude people in life or on social media.

We are all NCFC. All have our own ideas wrong or right. Hoggy is NCFC through and through. If I disagree with his points, it's discussion. Let's not make threads about individuals. 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hogesar ,

our relationship on the forum is very much like my relationship with my Accountant ,

do not like what he says to me or tells me sometimes ,

but in the i end up agreeing with him and think he has a point ,

and he has often the facts in front of him and i do not !! 

Edited by norfolkngood

20 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Where is Hoggy to tell us we are all rotten sods if we dare criticise the board, manager or team and to reassure us we are actually fantastic and all is well despite being in obvious relegation form? 

20 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

He’s only ever very rude to me. But then I tend to point out faults more than I hand out praise I guess. All makes for a good board discussion! 

Rude.... is he rude?   That's very rude !!

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

Hogesar ,

our relationship on the forum is very much like my relationship with my Accountant ,

do not like what he says to me or tells me sometimes ,

but in the i end up agreeing with him and think he has a point ,

and he has often the facts in front of him and i do not !! 

My accountant is worth every penny. Hoggo is free ( on this message board) and also represents very good value.

A much more divisive and unpleasant character can usually be found on the MA thread , often making borderline libellous insinuations...... and we get a thread about Hoggo? WTAF? 

• Thanks 1