Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Would you drop Duffy and/or Gibson now?

I'd like to say both, but we have so few options.

With Batth being rated id like to see him instead of Gibson?

And still ncfc look lightweight at the back and we'veĀ  been saying this for so many seasons now!

Gibson for sure. Had a couple of games where he was decent. Now back to his old ways.Ā 

Duffy has had quite a good start to the season (not including today) in my opinion, but Gibson has been pulled all over the place by opposition strikers, so after today's shower its time for a Batth.Ā 

• Haha 2

Gibson for sure, he never seems to be able to have more than a couple of good games at a time then reverts back to calamity Ben, Batth needs to be given a go.Ā 

Ā 

Duffy while not being any good today, has had a good start and looked like what we've missed at the back.Ā 

Ā 

Also in the Gibson out camp and have always preferred Hanley to him. Gibson would suit a mainland European league better than the Championship as he looks to intercept - he's not really a tackler.

• Like 1

Gibson should be ejectedĀ out of the club !Ā  I was dead against bringing this donkey in when we were first interested in him 3 seasons ago.

People here have beenĀ singing the praises of Leicester before we played them, expecting them to beat usĀ easily. Don't theyĀ realise that we were like Leicester not long ago. We had silky footballers like Vrancic, Buendia, Pukki, Leitner running ourĀ team but idiots were happy to replace those players with a more physical British player likeĀ Gibson, Angus Gunn and McLean.Ā  These B grade lower division players who have lowered the skill level of ourĀ club.

Webber got lucky when Farke brought his mates from the German leagues to help him. We also need to eject Webber & his wife quickly.Ā  I know he's got untilĀ the end of the season - but that's not soon enough !

5 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

I'd have dropped Gibson last season, let alone this one.Ā 

Ā 

Needs to go and a replacement brought in in the next window.

If Hanley was fit he'd certainly be 3rd choice which will be fine. Unfortunately it isn't fine while Hanley isn't fit.Ā 

I guess it's quite funny to see people's prejudice come out in these situations.

Looking at the game and each goal objectively - Gibson wouldn't be the CB you replace.

He was poor for the first goal but that was offside. The second goal we had Rowe allowing the cross in far too easy, then both McLean and Duffy not getting to it before Gibson was even involved.

The third goal, Duffy doesn't even put it out for a throw in which is what allows the chance. Then neither McLean but in particular Sara make any effort to close or put pressure on, at least Ben notices this and tries.

The fourth goal is Duffy being beaten all ends up by the Plymouth player.

Duffy probably had one of the worst games I've ever seen for a CB. Gibson was considerably better although the bar very low.

• Like 2

Our problems are midfield based, as they have been for a while. CBs got caught out a few times, sure, but I don't think (certainly Gibson) they were to blame.

We are designed to dominate and attack, when the midfield can't connect to the attack we end up with isolated defenders and too many bodies up the pitch. Yesterday was an outlier in that Plymouth were destructively clinical;Ā which doesn't help it being ****, but this result is very unusual.

I'd say if there was any player to look totally out of place, it was Hwang. He's either crap or severely not up to speed yet, but we don't have time for a loan player to feel his way in. Idah up front, Sara behind him and McLean/ Forshaw in the middle for the foreseeable IMO

Ā 

• Like 2

Same starting xi for Fulham with the exception of a keeper change and giannoulis,Ā  nor carabao cup rest for that lack lustre performance.

Make changes for the brum game, batth and placheta to start next sat

8 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Our problems are midfield based, as they have been for a while. CBs got caught out a few times, sure, but I don't think (certainly Gibson) they were to blame.

We are designed to dominate and attack, when the midfield can't connect to the attack we end up with isolated defenders and too many bodies up the pitch. Yesterday was an outlier in that Plymouth were destructively clinical;Ā which doesn't help it being ****, but this result is very unusual.

I'd say if there was any player to look totally out of place, it was Hwang. He's either crap or severely not up to speed yet, but we don't have time for a loan player to feel his way in. Idah up front, Sara behind him and McLean/ Forshaw in the middle for the foreseeable IMO

Ā 

Yes, agreed 100%

McLean and Sara were poor. Further than that, Sara tried to play poor passes centrally high up the pitch which directly left to counters. Neither Sara or McLean got back quickly enough.

Despite everyone blaming Gibson for everything I think he's been the better of the two and therefore I would drop Duffy if I had to pick one of them.

A more sensible plan would be to drop McLean and put a proper CDM in there like Forshaw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yes, agreed 100%

McLean and Sara were poor. Further than that, Sara tried to play poor passes centrally high up the pitch which directly left to counters. Neither Sara or McLean got back quickly enough.

Jesus. The first time I've ever heard you say anything other than McLean is actually brilliant and he'd walk into Man City's team. Coming round to the dark side (correct side)?

How long is it going to be before ahanley comes back? D surely the new swimming pool should have sorted his rehab out by now?

30 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

How long is it going to be before ahanley comes back? D surely the new swimming pool should have sorted his rehab out by now?

Hes never playing for us again.
If you watched him walk around last week he was still hobbling off of his injury, i would say hes 3-6Ā months from running and 5-8 months from 90 minutes.
Take him out of the conversation šŸ˜ž

37 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Jesus. The first time I've ever heard you say anything other than McLean is actually brilliant and he'd walk into Man City's team. Coming round to the dark side (correct side)?

No. McLean has been one of our best players this season but him and Sara as a two were awful.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

I guess it's quite funny to see people's prejudice come out in these situations.

Looking at the game and each goal objectively - Gibson wouldn't be the CB you replace.

He was poor for the first goal but that was offside. The second goal we had Rowe allowing the cross in far too easy, then both McLean and Duffy not getting to it before Gibson was even involved.

The third goal, Duffy doesn't even put it out for a throw in which is what allows the chance. Then neither McLean but in particular Sara make any effort to close or put pressure on, at least Ben notices this and tries.

The fourth goal is Duffy being beaten all ends up by the Plymouth player.

Duffy probably had one of the worst games I've ever seen for a CB. Gibson was considerably better although the bar very low.

This must be a first, Hogesar: you and me actually agreeing on something.

Duffy is crap. He has an inflated idea of his own ability because (woo-hoo!)Ā he is an Irish international (perspective: so is Idah), but he is mediocre at best, and that is being kind. You didn't even mention the couple of times near the end of the game where Gibson had to make last-ditch saves to prevent yet another goal conceded because Duffy was swanning around up the pitch and had left the defence to its own devices. Nor did you mention the comedy classic own goal on his debut, after which of course he looked around to blame everyone else for his own incompetence. And then almost did the same thing in the following game. I mean, if you are experiencedĀ like Mr Duffy, why do you need to bother to look where your goalkeeper is? It's the goalkeeper's fault for not being where Mr Duffy assumesĀ he willĀ be. He's an Irish international, you know.

We have sold a very promising youngster (Omo) for this slow, superannuated, self-important load of crap whose main contribution in games is barking at much better players around him.Ā Ā Gibson deserves some of the flak aimed at him, but at least he has self-discipline and doesn't imagine he's doing us a favour by giving us the benefit of his extensive experience.

Duffy is sh*t. Big mouth, limited talent, which seems to be enough to get hiredĀ by Norwich these days. Not a patch on Hanley nor Omo. And we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, Stuart. You're a genius.

Edited by canarybubbles

A bit harsh on Gibbo, he will managed a very good block 2nd half which prevented yet another goal. Duffy was found out big time yesterday, his lack of pace us simply alarming and was roasted all afternoon by Hardy.

With Andy O sadly gone and Batth cup tied, one of them will have to start with Warner at Fulham. Our midfielders and wingers should not go without blame. Rowe really needs to pull his socks up, he's been **** poor for 2 or 3 games now and becoming one of the first to get hooked. No tracking back or closing down, Plymouth just had a free run at our defence.

I've never had much confidence in Gibson. Some defenders look solid but he has always been susceptible to a mistake.

Should have done everything in our power to keep Omo.

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Duffy is sh*t. Big mouth, limited talent, which seems to be enough to get hiredĀ by Norwich these days. Not a patch on Hanley nor Omo. And we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

I was pleased when we signed him, I generally am when we sign an ex-Celtic player, but I've heard from a couple of different sources that he's an arrogant ****.

On yesterday, he's not got a lot to be arrogant about. I would have done a better job than him.

3 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Despite everyone blaming Gibson for everything I think he's been the better of the two and therefore I would drop Duffy if I had to pick one of them.

A more sensible plan would be to drop McLean and put a proper CDM in there like Forshaw.

We certainly surpassed ourselves this season with Duffy and Barnes and to add insult Hwang

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

This must be a first, Hogesar: you and me actually agreeing on something.

Duffy is crap. He has an inflated idea of his own ability because (woo-hoo!)Ā he is an Irish international (perspective: so is Idah), but he is mediocre at best, and that is being kind. You didn't even mention the couple of times near the end of the game where Gibson had to make last-ditch saves to prevent yet another goal conceded because Duffy was swanning around up the pitch and had left the defence to its own devices. Nor did you mention the comedy classic own goal on his debut, after which of course he looked around to blame everyone else for his own incompetence. And then almost did the same thing in the following game. I mean, if you are experiencedĀ like Mr Duffy, why do you need to bother to look where your goalkeeper is? It's the goalkeeper's fault for not being where Mr Duffy assumesĀ he willĀ be. He's an Irish international, you know.

We have sold a very promising youngster (Omo) for this slow, superannuated, self-important load of crap whose main contribution in games is barking at much better players around him.Ā Ā Gibson deserves some of the flak aimed at him, but at least he has self-discipline and doesn't imagine he's doing us a favour by giving us the benefit of his extensive experience.

Thanks, Stuart. You're a genius.

Well, let's not get too carried away in terms of agreeing!Ā 

I dont think Duffy is rubbish, I just think he was rubbish yesterday. Our worst player, actually. But he's had some good games for us.