Sign in to follow this  
bringbackchippy

Lack of quality!!

9 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Keep pissing those pants. 

That is a stupid thing to post. Its a stupid expression. Nobody is going overboard. Just commenting on what they saw today. If you cannot accept that, then respect others who wish to.

• Like 2

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Season defining. 

Terrible news.

Yeah, that's a huge blow. And so rough on Josh: after a couple of seasons of being shoved out on the wing and having to play second fiddle to Teemu, he finally had the chance in his best position and really looked like taking it. Really dreadful luck for such a hard working, likeable player.

• Like 2

It's a bit strange to suddenly appear with this nonsense because we lost a game. Seems to me that despite it being a poor performance it was still far better than a lot of those games we lost last season whilst barely having a shot on target. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I agree with the poster. There was a lack of quality today but what can you do when you don't have much money? Wagner/Webber have gambled on reducing the technical ability in the squad and replacing it with physicality and effort, which basically seems sensible given our financial limitations. So far this season it's worked. We'll have to see if it works long-term.

It's a very bad long-term strategy though isn't it. And potentially a very bad short-term strategy as well, if the crowd starts to turn again with the lack of quality on display.

7 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Awful news that Sargent is out until Jan, no doubt about it he will be missed, not just for the goals (with a full season 20 plus imo) but the energy and sheer upset he can cause to a defensive line. 

And with the best will in the world, Idah can't replace that. He's not an in-your-face kind of player. Is it worth moving Barnes upfront and changing the formation behind him?

There wasnt much on the bench today

...but come the next game...assuming Hwang starts, we could have Sainz .... Hernandez and Idah (both better off the bench) as well as a bit more strength in midfield in Forshsw and Batth with more insurance at the back. Add placheta and Sorenson and it will look stronger

1 hour ago, ncfc-tom said:

It wasn't a lack of quality when we was starting well this season.

Rotherham beat us because of a much better 1st half leaving us to chase the game.

We lost, this match will not define our season.

Exactly. Simply put, we were complacent in the first half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Yes, January 

FB_IMG_1693673777374.jpg

Horrible news. What Josh does for the team can't be easily replicated without a lot of money. Gutted for the guy, he was setting up a benchmark season as #9. Hope he can bounce back from this.

Wagner needs to find an alternative, workable strategy with current personnel during the international break.

36 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

And with the best will in the world, Idah can't replace that. He's not an in-your-face kind of player. Is it worth moving Barnes upfront and changing the formation behind him?

Indeed.

The only way we could possibly get away with playing what was essentially a 442 , in an age where hardly anyone else does, thus risking outnumbering ourselves in midfield, is that we were able to compensate with the workrate and the dropping deep that both/either Barnes and Sargent can do.

If one if them isnt available , you just cant stick Idah there as we will sacrifice the midfield, as he cant do the same job.

Now unless Hwang can replicate that, we will simply have to revert to an extra midfielder.

I wonder whether this could work?  4-1-4-1

Barnes

Rowe   Sara    Fassnacht   Sainz

McLean / or Forshaw

• Like 1

We have historically struggled to put in a performance at Rotherham for whatever reason. We will not be the only side to slip up there. no need for an over reaction give the opposition some credit for a solid performance. 

Liked the look of their striker who got their second goal today. Had the same name as one of our old players but it couldn't be him because loads of people on here reliably informed us all he was utter dog****.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Indeed.

The only way we could possibly get away with playing what was essentially a 442 , in an age where hardly anyone else does, thus risking outnumbering ourselves in midfield, is that we were able to compensate with the workrate and the dropping deep that both/either Barnes and Sargent can do.

If one if them isnt available , you just cant stick Idah there as we will sacrifice the midfield, as he cant do the same job.

Now unless Hwang can replicate that, we will simply have to revert to an extra midfielder.

I wonder whether this could work?  4-1-4-1

Barnes

Rowe   Sara    Fassnacht   Sainz

McLean / or Forshaw

What we are playing is not remotely a 4-4-2 in the traditional sense.  We have a markedly different shape in both defence and attack depending on how the transition works.  Now I'll be the first to admit that I had issues with Wagner's approach before the season started, and still have some if someone plays fast counters with pacy strikers, but to say we are playing 4-4-2 is to fundamentally misunderstand what Wagner is trying to do.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

It's a bit strange to suddenly appear with this nonsense because we lost a game. Seems to me that despite it being a poor performance it was still far better than a lot of those games we lost last season whilst barely having a shot on target. 

Well I thought that for large parts of the game it was just as bad as anything under Smith or the appalling run in last season. Their keeper came our and collected a series of crosses and that was about it. We take off one of our strikers who I thought had played pretty well with zero service and put Gibbs up top! The longer the game went on in the second half, the more ragged we became. Let's hope its a blip otherwise all that positivity is going to disappear very quickly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

Exactly. Simply put, we were complacent in the first half.

This. 

I didn't agree with the scapegoating and slagging off of Sargent for the last two seasons. The same people are now saying our campaign is doomed without him.

Whilst he is good, and I've said that from the get go, he's not, in my view, a player like Huckerby, or Hoolahan who can singlehandedly lift a team.

Yes, he works hard and in some ways will have been missed today. However, I don't see how he would have made a difference to our complacency first half and the way in which we conceded two goals from set piece situations.

As for quality... we still have more than the majority of this league. Even in depth.

If we consider Rose and Fasi as our first choice wingers, Sainz is probably up next as is Onel. Onel and Placheta have been on loan and played at this level before.

Batth was a first choice CB last season for Sunderland. Our new backup keeper was too.

If you mean technical ability I still don't see a drastic downgrade on last season.

Just now, yellowrider120 said:

Well I thought that for large parts of the game it was just as bad as anything under Smith or the appalling run in last season. Their keeper came our and collected a series of crosses and that was about it. We take off one of our strikers who I thought had played pretty well with zero service and put Gibbs up top! The longer the game went on in the second half, the more ragged we became. Let's hope its a blip otherwise all that positivity is going to disappear very quickly.

I don't think you ever really had any...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bringbackchippy said:

A big lack in quality was there for everyone to see. Gibbs,  Plachetta, Springett, Stacey, all abysmal,  nowhere near good enough performance! Very worrying!

Harsh on Gibbs and Stacey I think albeit the latter wasn’t at his best today. Placheta has improved but he and Springett are no more than ok. 

the lack of game time for Nunez is very strange and a big worry for me. He does have quality and would take some pressure off Kenny and Sara both of whom went awol in the first half today. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

What we are playing is not remotely a 4-4-2 in the traditional sense.  We have a markedly different shape in both defence and attack depending on how the transition works.  Now I'll be the first to admit that I had issues with Wagner's approach before the season started, and still have some if someone plays fast counters with pacy strikers, but to say we are playing 4-4-2 is to fundamentally misunderstand what Wagner is trying to do.

We were able to adapt because of Barnes / Sargents adaptability to drop back and fill in when required. With Idah there, its only Barnes who will do that. ....and if we're asking him to do that, we may aswell just play an actual midfielder

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Norwich came in as the most effective offensive team in the championship facing the worst defence in the championship.

Losing was virtually inevitable under the circumstances. It wouldn't be Norwich otherwise.

• Like 1

Losing Sargent isn't season defining. We've brought in a replacement and a survey shows fans are satisfied with the transfer window and strength of the squad.

What will define our season is if we don't respond well to being beaten. Rotherham showed how it can be done, Wagner now has to do likewise with our lads.

In a way I'm pleased we have lost; better to get it out of our system now early in the season. No cosy club this season please. Let's see what you have got.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Losing Sargent for half a season will probably make all the difference re playoffs and promotion. We look a different animal without him.

It was always going to be down to 3 or 4 players having great seasons , which will define our season unfortunately we have already lost one of them.  Today was a shock , to me that's progress.

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

If we are so s*** how did we beat them ?

Check mate….biatch 

I love how all the happy clapper snowflakes, who were saying what a wonderful transfer window it was last night, are all rallying around each other this evening.

Any right-minded fan has been delighted with the start.  And anyone with a brain between their ears has been able to see that all the wastage from the last 2 seasons has created the problems we’re now faced with.  That is, any injury to the first 11 and were likely to find it tough.

Our match day squad today was paper thin. To have closed out the transfer window relying on Idae and without credible centre forward reinforcements is ridiculous.  And the Koran bloke is not credible.   If anyone is in any doubt, check his appearances in English football. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

I love how all the happy clapper snowflakes, who were saying what a wonderful transfer window it was last night, are all rallying around each other this evening.

Any right-minded fan has been delighted with the start.  And anyone with a brain between their ears has been able to see that all the wastage from the last 2 seasons has created the problems we’re now faced with.  That is, any injury to the first 11 and were likely to find it tough.

Our match day squad today was paper thin. To have closed out the transfer window relying on Idae and without credible centre forward reinforcements is ridiculous.  And the Koran bloke is not credible.   If anyone is in any doubt, check his appearances in English football. 

Kingston, remind me, how has the ‘Koran bloke’ done in the Championship? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Shall I search for my posts where I said- last year- that idah was l2 standard and that if we relied on him we would be finished?

Definitely, especially if it will take all night...

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Shall I search for my posts where I said- last year- that idah was l2 standard and that if we relied on him we would be finished?

Yes please…what a delight, a L2 striker with 2 championship goals already this season 

We've definitely sacrificed some technical ability for more athleticism and tenacity. McLean is the prime example in terms of endeavour over skill, personifying the new emphasis of the team. It was very much on display today. 

However, let's not catastrophise: we had 17 shots today and could easily have won with more clinical finishing and/or better defending in two moments. It was hardly different to the previous games except for the outcome.

Let's see how things develop once the new players are added into the mix. It's still early days so it's not worth getting too caught up in a single away defeat. 

• Like 1