14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'They don't want to sell him but if the right price is offered..'

I think that can be said of most starting 11 players at most clubs. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

On various rumours pages the Leeds connection to Sargent doesn't appear to be going away, and latest reports suggest Josh is "keen on a reunion with Farke"

I think it would take absolute crazy money for NCFC to even entertain a bid (if it ever transpires) but Josh appears to look very happy in his role (& body language) as main striker at the moment and hoping the rumours are absolute tosh! 

If he's keen on a reunion with Farke then going to Leeds might not be a wise choice. My gut tells me Farke won't be there long.

Anyway, after his performance Sunday I'd say the transfer fee has just gone up a notch.

I am really hoping the noise around Josh is him trying to get an improved contract……. I would give to him, he is integral.

I don't believe Leeds have the £20m+ we'd be demanding. I'm not convinced a club that brought in Byram as a replacement right-back is a club flush with the sort of financial resources people assume they must have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I am really hoping the noise around Josh is him trying to get an improved contract……. I would give to him, he is integral.

Does rather feel like a 'even if its only one extra year pay him whatever he asks' kind of situation

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I am really hoping the noise around Josh is him trying to get an improved contract…….

I can't see why he would be looking for further commitments from the club at this point, if we got promoted, of course that's a whole different scenario.  Or do you mean a small extension but a decent pay rise?

Leeds are a big club, with reasonable money and have our ex-coach, plus Josh is looking a real threat at this level and they are needing cover for Bamford.  That's why there's noise.

I really cant see Farke being there that long. Leeds fans are already on his back. 

Edited by jaberry2

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

When Josh was asked about the World Cup last year he said it was a chance to put himself in the shop window 

Interesting. Do you have a source for that? Not saying you're wrong but I never saw that.

Just now, splutcho said:

Interesting. Do you have a source for that? Not saying you're wrong but I never saw that.

It was an interview in the EDP/Pinkun 

Josh just needs to get his head down and score goals and there is absolutely no evidence from his performances and body language that he doesn't want to do that with us.

What might become an issue is if Josh's place in the USA squad becomes at risk if things don't go as well here. The next WC in 26 is co-hosted by the US, a chance in a lifetime for him. 

It's a bit early for him to commit to us on a longer contract, possibly even Leeds, if he has the WC in the back of his mind. I think we're in a strong position at the moment, but he isn’t going to grub around in the Championship too long.

Edited by Capt. Pants

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Josh just needs to get his head down and score goals and there is absolutely no evidence from his performances and body language that he doesn't want to do that with us.

What might become an issue is if Josh's place in the USA squad becomes at risk if things don't go as well here. The next WC in 26 is co-hosted by the US, a chance in a lifetime for him. 

It's a bit early for him to commit to us on a longer contract, possibly even Leeds, if he has the WC in the back of his mind. I think we're in a strong position at the moment, but he isn’t going to grub around in the Championship too long.

Josh place in the USA squad is very safe, him and Weah are seen as the strike partnership to take the USA into the future

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

I really cant see Farke being there that long. Leeds fans are already on his back. 

Not what I've been reading. The natives are livid at certain 'rats leaving the sinking ship' / refusing to play etc. Farke seems to have full support at the moment with said natives sympathising with the hand he's been dealt.

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Not what I've been reading. The natives are livid at certain 'rats leaving the sinking ship' / refusing to play etc. Farke seems to have full support at the moment with said natives sympathising with the hand he's been dealt.

That sympathy will only last so long though and the new owners may also not be patient.

If they sit 14th come December then excuses about the squad will start to run thin.

6 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Farke seems to have full support at the moment with said natives sympathising with the hand he's been dealt.

That's the impression I get too, he seems to be their side of the fence and many have loved what he's been saying in interviews and connected well with him.  I didn't think he was going to get much time there, but I believe he will seeing how they've taken to him on a personal level.

Let's not forget that they've been there before and seen a longterm project work under Bielsa, I really don't think they will put pressure on the club to keep turning over on managers/head coaches as it only sets you backwards.... The owners however, who knows!

49 minutes ago, king canary said:

That sympathy will only last so long though and the new owners may also not be patient.

If they sit 14th come December then excuses about the squad will start to run thin.

True - but that is a world away from the poster who claims...............'Leeds fans are already on his back'!

Need to clear Webber out ASAP if he has contact with Leeds then he needs to go

• Like 1

The amount of money it makes sense to sell Sargent for isn’t coming from Leeds. It would have to be an utterly ridiculous amount.

I completely understand that the whole model revolves around attracting good young players by promising that we'll allow them to move on after we develop them but this is not the right time. The 'right offer' might come along but it's the worst time possible for us to sell a key player. We've only just turned around the negativity and against all odds look like we have a promotion capable team again. Can you imagine how demoralized everyone including the players would be if we sold Sargent? It would kill our season before it even started. I don't think Sargent is a world beater but he's absolutely perfect for how we want to play and can score goals at this level and we're not going to replace him for the percentage we'd be willing to spend of any up front fee we'd receive. The damage it would do to the club wouldn't be worth it. It would tell everyone including the players that we're not that bothered about trying to go up this year and so the likes of Sara and Gunn might start talking to their agents to get a move before it turns toxic again. 

It wouldn't be the catastrophe the selling Buendia after getting promotion was (although selling Sara would equal that in my view) but it would kill all the momentum we've built up and would severely effect our chances of going up. I'm just talking hypothetically here, I don't buy the paper talk but after supporting this club for 20 years I'm conditioned to expect the worst when stories like this come out and I'm just dying for the window to close. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, daly said:

Need to clear Webber out ASAP if he has contact with Leeds then he needs to go

Quite.  I can’t think that any other club would have a departing executive, (who has been repeatedly linked with a rival, who have recently appointed our ex-coach and who have been linked with 3 of our players so far), and leave them with the casting vote (or at least a significant influence) on transfers.  

Absolutely ridiculous.  And I’m not a divorcee. 

I didn't want to start another thread, but did think it was worth sharing this delusional tweet. You will never guess who he thinks they'd get for 8 million 😅

Screenshot_20230821_210348_X.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

On various rumours pages the Leeds connection to Sargent doesn't appear to be going away, and latest reports suggest Josh is "keen on a reunion with Farke"

I think it would take absolute crazy money for NCFC to even entertain a bid (if it ever transpires) but Josh appears to look very happy in his role (& body language) as main striker at the moment and hoping the rumours are absolute tosh! 

The ‘keen on a reunion with Farke’ part had me a bit miffed. Did he not work with him for about 2-3 months. How much of an impact would Farke have made on him in that time span. Dare to say it he’s been around Dean Smith longer than Farke. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

The ‘keen on a reunion with Farke’ part had me a bit miffed. Did he not work with him for about 2-3 months. How much of an impact would Farke have made on him in that time span.

I think Barnes has already had a bigger impact on him than Farke ever did.  Maybe I'm biased, but you'd be a fool to walk away from the team dynamic that we've currently got.  There's a lot of uncertainty around Leeds, whereas he's got a lead role here aand fully bedded in.

It still makes me a little uneasy seeing this thread at the top of the message board topics though.  Perhaps we should stop replying. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I can't see why he would be looking for further commitments from the club at this point, if we got promoted, of course that's a whole different scenario.  Or do you mean a small extension but a decent pay rise?

Leeds are a big club, with reasonable money and have our ex-coach, plus Josh is looking a real threat at this level and they are needing cover for Bamford.  That's why there's noise.

I'm not sure Leeds actually do have that much to spend even after a couple of seasons on the gravy train - they are about €160m down on transfers over the past 4 seasons and if rumours about some of their player's contract clauses are true without a promotion won't be getting much back on the players they do have with value but who have been sent out on loan.

That said I don't know the financial implications of their takeover.  But Farke isn't going to have a trolley dash budget level I suspect even with the outgoings they have had otherwise I'm fairly sure we'd have seen some evidence of it by now.

I also wouldn't think Josh would be seen as cover for Bamford - Leeds fans haven't been overly enamoured with him for a while now and even his biggest fan would struggle to suggest that he offers value for money given his injury history, even with one season where he looked half decent in the Premiership.  I wouldn't swap Josh for him - I'm not sure many others would either.

7 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

I also wouldn't think Josh would be seen as cover for Bamford - Leeds fans haven't been overly enamoured with him for a while now and even his biggest fan would struggle to suggest that he offers value for money given his injury history

Yeah, maybe you're right.  Coming down to the Championship does offer the opportunity to build players in new positions, too.  And we know Farke favours the fittest, most available players.  

But then, that supports a theory that if the interest was real then they'd know he's not going to come cheap and it concerns me more, as the only question mark is whether they would want to spend the money that would see us opening up for talks.

I can't even bare to entertain that thought, though.  I wouldn't even take 30m for him as I think it would be such a blow to this squad.

Edited by Google Bot

Leeds have American owners with deep pockets and they have just banked £20m from Bournemouth. 
I think the argument that they don’t have enough money to buy Sargent doesn’t hold water. 
If Leeds come calling they will be able to test the club’s resolve and also what Sargent wants. 
It took a bit of arm twisting to persuade Buendia to stay for the second championship title season. And that was only after dropping him for the game at Bournemouth and then the promise that he would get his big money move at the end of that season, irrespective of which division we would be in. £80k a week at Villa- who wouldn’t want that and we couldn’t give him that.

1 hour ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Quite.  I can’t think that any other club would have a departing executive, (who has been repeatedly linked with a rival, who have recently appointed our ex-coach and who have been linked with 3 of our players so far), and leave them with the casting vote (or at least a significant influence) on transfers.  

Absolutely ridiculous.  And I’m not a divorcee. 

What is absolutely ridiculous as the number of assumptions you need to make to find something to get upset about. You seem to think something written on a website is some sort of smoking gun. Maybe Google click bait and have a think.