^ Beat me to it. That one sounds more of a goer to me. Like I said earlier, I don't think even if they wanted him, which I dont think they do, Leeds would be prepared to pay what Sargent is currently worth to us. I would imagine we'd want 15-20m at this point in time. 

39 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Alan Nixon reporting this morning that Leeds are about to bid £15m for Joel Piroe at Swansea.

The rumours continue

Crikey, what does that make Sargent worth?

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Crikey, what does that make Sargent worth?

Probably about 20m.

I'm surprised Piroe would be that much considering his contract is running out in July but he's the most consistent Championship goalscorer available right now.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Probably about 20m.

I'm surprised Piroe would be that much considering his contract is running out in July but he's the most consistent Championship goalscorer available right now.

Circa £8m touted. Archer has gone to Sheffield Utd.

54 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Alan Nixon reporting this morning that Leeds are about to bid £15m for Joel Piroe at Swansea.

The rumours continue

This is more of a Farke signing. Sargent I struggle to see how he would fit in, this season shows his best talent is the headed goal and Farke's teams really need the player who sits on the shoulder of the last defender and has pace.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Hate Webber? People need to grow up. You can have an opinion about someone without "hating". He gets somethings right and some things wrong. It's not either love or hate.

With Emi there is no concrete evidence that he was promised a move and people with access to these things tell me different sides to the story when the club mives on players. It's all part of selling a player and making it easier for the fan base imo. 

Emi was used as, in my opinion an example of the effect of selling Sargent, notthing more nothing less.. I believe it would have a similar effect and indeed Barnes has already come out to say what a great player he is. How do you replace a 20 plus goal player with £15m late on in the window? You don't... 

Unfortunate there a few on here (we all know them) who attempt to shut down or ridicule opinions different to them. In their eyes what the club says is alway true. 

I know that not to be true.

Find me one post where someone has “shut down” opinions different to theirs? If you can’t handle people justifying their view when it differs to yours, perhaps the rough and tumble of an internet message board (!) is too much for such a sensitive flower as yourself.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Find me one post where someone has “shut down” opinions different to theirs? If you can’t handle people justifying their view when it differs to yours, perhaps the rough and tumble of an internet message board (!) is too much for such a sensitive flower as yourself.

Maybe 'ridicule' was a better choice of words. You didn't seem to challenge that.

Edited by essex canary

14 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Maybe 'ridicule' was a better choice of words. You didn't seem to challenge that.

One man’s ridicule is another man’s “banter”. Feel free to find an example or two though.

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

So two title wins then two poor seasons = long way to make up for the two poor seasons?

Recency bias. Its a problem with football fans.

You might not hate Webber in which case the post is nothing to do with you anyway but there's a huge list of fans that do, on here alone. It only takes a little search 😉

Yes it does, what you are referring to as recency bias is what many people may call current job performance. BTW there was another abysmal PL season in there as well.

You said people who mention Emi normally do because they hate Webber, I was pointing out I don’t think that’s the case.

You can believe, like I do, that selling Emi was one of the biggest mistakes in recent history without hating the guy responsible and I see plenty who do. People massively overuse the word hate.

17 hours ago, king canary said:

TLDR.

My point was simply that the person I quoted said 'that's what happened.'

My point is we have conflicting reports of what happened so it can't just be neatly tied up like that.

So remove all the conflicting bits. In this case, it's just the one bit, which is neither here nor there unless you want to paint it a particular way.

That being whether or not there was an agreement of some sort, gentlemanly or otherwise, to encourage him to stay for that season - with the sale being pushed to the following summer.

That's it. That is the only conflicting bit. Either it happened or it didn't. In any sense, it doesn't change any other element of what has been widely reported. He wanted to leave, wasn't focused, was less focused than Cantwell and so missed several games at the start of the season. He was then sold at the end of the season.

Everything else is just how people want to spin it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

This is more of a Farke signing. Sargent I struggle to see how he would fit in, this season shows his best talent is the headed goal and Farke's teams really need the player who sits on the shoulder of the last defender and has pace.

I think that's a bit unfair on Sargent, he's got more ability than that - backed up by Barnes' opinion of him.

If Farke is trying to play Farkeball again, then good luck to him. I'd have hoped he'd have learnt from his experiences both here, and since. We'll see I guess.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

So remove all the conflicting bits. In this case, it's just the one bit, which is neither here nor there unless you want to paint it a particular way.

That being whether or not there was an agreement of some sort, gentlemanly or otherwise, to encourage him to stay for that season - with the sale being pushed to the following summer.

That's it. That is the only conflicting bit. Either it happened or it didn't. In any sense, it doesn't change any other element of what has been widely reported. He wanted to leave, wasn't focused, was less focused than Cantwell and so missed several games at the start of the season. He was then sold at the end of the season.

Everything else is just how people want to spin it.

The absolute irony of this post.

i bet teams do it all the time lets try and unsettle a player Team who is doing well ,

Team say we are interested in XYZ players head gets turned loses form etc 

i still think a bid for one of our better players Mclean / Sarge / Sara might come in 

Mclean would be the one if i was Farke he could bring the glue that is needed for the leeds team to gel 

On 21/08/2023 at 16:35, splutcho said:

Would be equal parts gobsmacked and livid if he went. Don't see it. I don't think they'd be prepared to pay what we'd want even if the interest were genuine.

totally agree, better with us in Championship than Leeds with their cyrrent problem of players. What would he gain - only money possaibly.

53 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Yes it does, what you are referring to as recency bias is what many people may call current job performance. BTW there was another abysmal PL season in there as well.

You said people who mention Emi normally do because they hate Webber, I was pointing out I don’t think that’s the case.

You can believe, like I do, that selling Emi was one of the biggest mistakes in recent history without hating the guy responsible and I see plenty who do. People massively overuse the word hate.

I think Emi sale was a huge mistake because of what we recruited after. Its the only season in my opinion that we had an awful transfer window under Webber.

The first prem season we made it quite clear we were pocketing the money for other club improvements. It's nice to hear Krul talking about how unrecognisable the club is all over from when he joined. Something I hope we benefit from for years to come a staple to Webbers legacy.

I'd love to believe you re the hate thing but the first poster that agreed to you when searched against his name and the word "webber" the first page had 4 examples of him talking about how much he hated the bloke so....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Perfect example... thanks for helping me make my point

Maybe use your time better and give us your view on Sargent and the current debate rather than lowering yourself to schoolboy insults.

Yours 

The sensitive 🌼 

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Perfect example... thanks for helping me make my point

Maybe use your time better and give us your view on Sargent and the current debate rather than lowering yourself to schoolboy insults.

Yours 

The sensitive 🌼 

Seriously? If I’ve misjudged the tone apologies, but I meant that as a bit of gentle joshing. If you see it as a schoolboy insult, one of us needs to recalibrate. Or is it just the lack of emojis?

18 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

As his agent, I would be telling Sargent to stay where he is and keep up the good work.

As his agent I would also point out that at the end of the season he will only have one year left on his contract and have a very strong hand to play if the season goes well.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

The first prem season we made it quite clear we were pocketing the money for other club improvements. It's nice to hear Krul talking about how unrecognisable the club is all over from when he joined. Something I hope we benefit from for years to come a staple to Webbers legacy.

Time and again we hear from new signings how they were blown away by the top level training facilities at the club. No one should underestimate the importance of Webber spending the money he has on this aspect of the club.

• Like 1

A friend saw Sarge up the City earlier, and mentioned Leeds to him.  Sarge turned his ear and said "Who?" and laughed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chicken said:

I think that's a bit unfair on Sargent, he's got more ability than that - backed up by Barnes' opinion of him.

If Farke is trying to play Farkeball again, then good luck to him. I'd have hoped he'd have learnt from his experiences both here, and since. We'll see I guess.

I didn't mean to be disparaging of Sargent, in a way he is more exciting to watch than say a Pukki. Sarge does offer more than headers, he just isn't a hanging off the shoulder of the last defender guy! Much more suited for Wagner's style than Farke's was all I was conveying, and Piroe is a Farke style of player.

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think Emi sale was a huge mistake because of what we recruited after. Its the only season in my opinion that we had an awful transfer window under Webber.

I'd love to believe you re the hate thing but the first poster that agreed to you when searched against his name and the word "webber" the first page had 4 examples of him talking about how much he hated the bloke so....

I don’t know the poster but can you explain how “can’t stand”, “don’t like” and “dislike” are synonymous with hatred? Kind of proving my point when I said the word is overused.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I didn't mean to be disparaging of Sargent, in a way he is more exciting to watch than say a Pukki. Sarge does offer more than headers, he just isn't a hanging off the shoulder of the last defender guy! Much more suited for Wagner's style than Farke's was all I was conveying, and Piroe is a Farke style of player.

Ah got you.

I think they all have their place, just that in the modern game, a player like Sargent is arguably more tactically diverse. I think he has the pace to play off the shoulder if he was asked to. If you look at the successful strikers, they tend to be able to do a bit of everything, most importantly, to find that space to score.

Pukki is one of those that was exceptionally good at what he could do. I do wonder if that in itself made us a bit predictable at times. As others said of last season, and even of Farke before that, when plan A didn't work, as in, getting Pukki in scoring positions, what was plan B? 

Surely we know that DF recruits to suit his playing style; Russel Martin, a DF lite at present, therefore an RM trained player will fit the DF mould far better than a raw youngster "coached" by the Smith/Shakespeare combo. He will shed those unable to accept the DF philosophy, or deemed unsuitable, see Hugill & Tzolis, and try to buy skilful players plateauing or just past their peak. A prime example of this Mario Vrancic exquisite ball skills butrapidly waning stamina.

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t know the poster but can you explain how “can’t stand”, “don’t like” and “dislike” are synonymous with hatred? Kind of proving my point when I said the word is overused.

Oh come on, pull the other one 😅 did the guy that shouted at him and call him a c*nt also not hate him? Is hate some exceptional word? I really don't think it is. Dislike to the point of posting about how much you dislike that person 20 times a season is enough in my book. If it doesn't meet your imaginary threshold then cool

10 hours ago, Monty13 said:

There is something emotional, irrational and visceral about some posters dislike and hostility to men they haven't met in the most case and who are are only going about their job of work. Pretty close to the dictionary definition of hatred. It probably says more about them than the subject of their ire. This is particularly true when they just can't let go even though things appear to be going well. What they mean about recency bias is that even though this is the case they will refuse to take it into account and instead continue to give emphasis to events that support their opinion in the dim and increasingly distant past. Less recency bias, more confirmation bias.

18 minutes ago, BigFish said:

There is something emotional, irrational and visceral about some posters dislike and hostility to men they haven't met in the most case and who are are only going about their job of work. Pretty close to the dictionary definition of hatred. It probably says more about them than the subject of their ire. This is particularly true when they just can't let go even though things appear to be going well. What they mean about recency bias is that even though this is the case they will refuse to take it into account and instead continue to give emphasis to events that support their opinion in the dim and increasingly distant past. Less recency bias, more confirmation bias.

I don’t disagree with your first point, I see it, I’m just saying there’s a line.

Webber is a public figure with a controversial personality, there’s going to be a reaction and some will like him some will dislike him.

While some cross the line, it’s wrong to assume just because someone doesn’t like him that they hate him. 

With regards to your second point, our two Championship wins are more in the past than his recent mistakes yet these are brought up constantly?

I think it’s fine to look at his tenure as a whole both positive and negative personally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Oh come on, pull the other one 😅 did the guy that shouted at him and call him a c*nt also not hate him? Is hate some exceptional word? I really don't think it is. Dislike to the point of posting about how much you dislike that person 20 times a season is enough in my book. If it doesn't meet your imaginary threshold then cool

Calling someone a c*nt is a big escalation on dislike, you get that right?

It’s not an exceptional word, it’s just a word that has a certain meaning. Disliking someone isn’t the same as hating someone, it’s not an imaginary threshold.

You gave 3 examples not 20. I don’t know the poster and I’m not defending them, I’m just saying three examples of disliking him isn’t evidence of hate.

Im not saying there isn’t people that hate him, there’s plenty of evidence of that, I’m saying assuming most people that dislike him hate him is wrong.

He has a controversial public persona and thats caused a lot of people to dislike him.

Can't imagine Sarge would entertain this unless they are offering him a huge amount of cash. He knows he's loved here, got Pukki's boots to fill and his only main competition is an aging Barnes. Plus, Leeds are hardly ripping up trees right now whilst naming about 5 keepers as subs to fill the bench 😅