19 minutes ago, Indy said:

If and a big if we get up totally agree! But I can’t stress enough Barnes contribution to Sargents game! We really should be looking at a long term younger Barnes, our scouting system should be acting to bring in that type of player while we have Barnes to coach & support the development of a younger player!

Can you coach a striker to become a Barnes-type player though? It seems to me a lot of it is down to experience.

"Trouble is any £25 million plus offer would have to be considered and probably accepted if the buying team was attractive to the player!"

That's the rub, but the usual answer to that is that promotion would mean considerably more.

We seem in with a slight chance considering our metamorphosis into a goal hungry winning machine.

The loss of either would derail this. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Can you coach a striker to become a Barnes-type player though? It seems to me a lot of it is down to experience.

I believe so, you do need a strong player, but learning at young level does help.

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Perhaps it is down to Sean Dyche?

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

“He’s a special player. I keep telling him that he is so incredibly good. He doesn’t realise how good he is,” 

The more interesting quote to me and also the reason we should be issuing some sort of hands off statement that he isn’t for sale, because he shouldn’t be.

Just now, Monty13 said:

“He’s a special player. I keep telling him that he is so incredibly good. He doesn’t realise how good he is,” 

The more interesting quote to me and also the reason we should be issuing some sort of hands off statement that he isn’t for sale, because he shouldn’t be.

It's interesting how it's changed. Its been clear that Josh has lacked confidence at times. More so with his infamous miss that it's fair to say did place him into the Pink'Un scapegoat position for some time. Hell, even I called him bambi on ice and said at times he played like one of the worst strikers we have had. Things were not helped when it seemed to leak that we as a club were said to have been told and warned not to buy him.

And yet now it's fair to say it's reversed. He's scoring for fun, he's looking like he's enjoying playing his football and the team looks very much together. It's clear he needs a close friend and someone on the pitch to help him out and it does seem we have found the perfect partner for him in Barnes.

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Ive read on a Leedsallover page this morning that theyre now looking at Duk from Aberdeen, who scored 16 goals last season.

Lets hope.they drop.their interest in Sarg

Moo ski and Duk were a really dangerous double threat for Aberdeen ( apart from their humiliation at non league Darvel!). Duk is quick, strong and powerful- many of Sargent’s attributes but it’s difficult to be certain how well he would do in the championship, compared to some of the SPL defenders. Miovski a bit more brains than brawn.

Kevin Nisbet was s**t hot for Hibernian last season and a Scottish international but he looked completely lost on Sunday, though with almost nil service. 

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I suppose he could have said well I hope we sell him because I'll be the main man then!

I wouldn't read much into that as Barnes won't know what's going on behind the scenes.

It's a nice comment from Barnes but I don't think it actually helps our position, especially if someone from Leeds reads it.

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Ive read on a Leedsallover page this morning that theyre now looking at Duk from Aberdeen, who scored 16 goals last season.

Lets hope.they drop.their interest in Sarg

Know nothing about this  but it does raise a point that no one else has touched upon..the original media rag that started this whole Sarge rumour said Leeds had a list of strikers they were interested in and Josh's name was on that list..so who else was on that list?..why just mention Josh?...is it because of the DF connection?..i very much doubt Josh would be the sole  guy Leeds would be after.

But agree that we need to keep Josh at any cost...he is indeed integral..and do well here  for a season or two and he will be ripe for much bigger  places than Leeds.

31 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

100%. Just say he's not for sale and the speculation goes. Selling Sargeant would be an absolute joke given how we have started.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

EVERY player is for sale, if that player wants that move.And other clubs will be well aware of any release clause, and the amount. They will also be aware of his wages/bonuses etc. It is not in the agent's interest to keep quiet.

A few players will want to move for personal reasons - Cantwell. The lure of the PL and vastly increased wages/signing on fee etc can be very persuasive. I doubt either of those exist with Leeds. I am certain that it doesn't take much to link Farke with ex players either, irrespective of any reality.

Up to Tyler Adams departure, Leeds had not raised anything in sales. They have a £40 million drop in TV money to cover. While they have released a huge number of players, they will be aware that should they not go up this season the parachute money drops another £30m for season 24/25.

However, while that may be the bare facts and reasoned thought. Football has a habit of throwing all that to the wind. And the Championship is littered with clubs whose desperate attempts at getting back (or even staying) in the PL pretty much farked them up. So who knows. Less than 10 days to go.

37 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

100%. Just say he's not for sale and the speculation goes. Selling Sargeant would be an absolute joke given how we have started.

Speculation doesn't go just because a club says they're not wanting to sell.

Best thing to do is keep quiet because if Leeds randomly offered £30 million then the decision completely changes.

Just appreciate that we have owners and a Sporting Director able to sign players like Sargent and Sara ahead of all these bigger clubs that now want a piece...😉

• Like 1

Just to be clear though, this is the same Josh Sargent that everyone now wants to keep even if we get bids of £25m plus, as the Josh Sargent who we "spunked" £8m up the wall for just two seasons ago. He's gone from absolute donkey to virtually indispensable in a few weeks. 

Likewise Sara has moved from a waste of £13m to being worth more than the £30m West Ham supposedly want to throw at us, and Jon Rowe will apparently become our first £50m player.

It's 3 games, everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We love a scapegoat, and a disproportionally idealised hero, although definitely prefer the scapegoat, often with a couple of options available at any one time.

3 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

3 games in football is a long time. That's 7 watford coaches.

Remember - it's been scientifically proven that you're never more than 2 metres away from an ex-Watford manager. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Just to be clear though, this is the same Josh Sargent that everyone now wants to keep even if we get bids of £25m plus, as the Josh Sargent who we "spunked" £8m up the wall for just two seasons ago. He's gone from absolute donkey to virtually indispensable in a few weeks. 

It's 3 games, everyone. 

Not fair, there were plenty of us who wanted Josh up front in place of Pukki last season, and he finished as our leading scorer despite being shoved out onto the wing for half the season to accommodate an aging and slowing Pukki where he looked uncomfortable and ineffective compared to when he was playing as a number 9.

He hasn't "suddenly" become indispensable, he should have been our star striker last season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Not fair, there were plenty of us who wanted Josh up front in place of Pukki last season, and he finished as our leading scorer despite being shoved out onto the wing for half the season to accommodate an aging and slowing Pukki where he looked uncomfortable and ineffective compared to when he was playing as a number 9.

He hasn't "suddenly" become indispensable, he should have been our star striker last season.

Point taken - but it was pretty much unanimous that he was a failure as an £8m purchase. Not so much now.

54 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Speculation doesn't go just because a club says they're not wanting to sell.

Best thing to do is keep quiet because if Leeds randomly offered £30 million then the decision completely changes.

Just appreciate that we have owners and a Sporting Director able to sign players like Sargent and Sara ahead of all these bigger clubs that now want a piece...😉

May be but little point if we sell said players to the first club who slaps a wad of cash on the table! Makes a mockery of trying to build a squad for a serious attempt at promotion. You can add Jonny boy Rowe to your list. At least in years gone by we had a season or so out of the likes of Reeves and Fashanu and Eadie and Bellamy.  

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Point taken - but it was pretty much unanimous that he was a failure as an £8m purchase. Not so much now.

At the end of the Premier League season, despite being responsible for one of the only bright moments of said season (the Watford scorpion kick), I'd agree that he didn't look like good value for money.

At the end of last season, I felt he was worth close to the money we'd paid. I think this season if he continues like this £8m will start looking like good business.

34 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

We can hardly call Sarg a failure, at any point in his NCFC career, compared to Rashica & Tzolis.

Sarg at least always works his socks off. The other two have, well p*ssed off 

It is all relative on Sargent did he look ready for premier league no but did he look like he could score goals in the championship I always thought he would. You have to consider as well that season I think Todd was supposed to be the starting RIght Winger taking over from Emi and Sarge was there to provide cover across the front three.

He needs to improve his first touch and finishing to be a premier league player again but I would think he is well aware of that as he seems like a top pro. 

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Likewise Sara has moved from a waste of £13m to being worth more than the £30m West Ham supposedly want to throw at us, and Jon Rowe will apparently become our first £50m player.

It's 3 games, everyone.

They are the ones.......sometimes from the same posters as well

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

May be but little point if we sell said players to the first club who slaps a wad of cash on the table! Makes a mockery of trying to build a squad for a serious attempt at promotion. You can add Jonny boy Rowe to your list. At least in years gone by we had a season or so out of the likes of Reeves and Fashanu and Eadie and Bellamy.  

But we've already had a season from Sara, 2 from Sargent etc.

And we've not sold anyone yet! So stop worrying about a "mockery" when it's not happened, whereas the bit of my post you're quoting is...fact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I take it if Rowe is still here when the windows slams shut you will hold your hands up and apologise for pant-wetting?

4 hours ago, sgncfc said:

It's 3 games, everyone. 

Personally I’ve always liked the look of both, they just weren’t the signings needed for the seasons we bought them.

Now we’ve been through that growing pain with both and they are firing and look capable of getting us somewhere this season it would be crazy to sell this summer IMO.

4 hours ago, RobJames said:

EVERY player is for sale, if that player wants that move.And other clubs will be well aware of any release clause, and the amount. They will also be aware of his wages/bonuses etc. It is not in the agent's interest to keep quiet.

A few players will want to move for personal reasons - Cantwell. The lure of the PL and vastly increased wages/signing on fee etc can be very persuasive. I doubt either of those exist with Leeds. I am certain that it doesn't take much to link Farke with ex players either, irrespective of any reality.

Up to Tyler Adams departure, Leeds had not raised anything in sales. They have a £40 million drop in TV money to cover. While they have released a huge number of players, they will be aware that should they not go up this season the parachute money drops another £30m for season 24/25.

However, while that may be the bare facts and reasoned thought. Football has a habit of throwing all that to the wind. And the Championship is littered with clubs whose desperate attempts at getting back (or even staying) in the PL pretty much farked them up. So who knows. Less than 10 days to go.

While of course every player has a price there is a difference between rebutting PL and top European clubs advances while in the Championship and that of a club we can legitimately say we are rival of.

If a strong bid comes from one of those clubs for Sargent (Or Sara), I still think the club should stand firm at this point unless the money is literally stupid, but at least it would be understandable.

Any scenario where we sell Sargent to Leeds is ridiculously short sighted IMO.