kirku

Aarons to Leeds

6 minutes ago, S_81 said:

A rival. Sadly my friend we will be nowhere near challenging Leeds this season, nor many others to come. We are mid to lower table nowadays. That’s where Webber leaves us. 

Absolute nonsense. On the Hull showing, Norwich will finish higher than Leeds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Absolute nonsense. On the Hull showing, Norwich will finish higher than Leeds.

If I knew you better I’d happily take your money on that. No chance

It’s clear from squad that Aaron’s is being sold, we need more money in and he wants a fresh challenge, not going to sign a new contract and we are under pressure to get best prices we can before he’s available for free!

Leeds is no doubt a bigger club, money size and representation, they are in a far more realistic chance of going up than most in this division so it’s not really a sideways move more a fresh challenge to a bigger club.

Additionally as recently shown Aaron’s can play both sides comfortably, so alongside Byram gives good coverage across the back this season.

He gets his move we get money into the club and save on wages, both parties win.

• Like 1

The state of this thread. All of a sudden Aarons is our sub right back on the basis of one half decent game from Stacey (a game which Dimi outperformed him IMHO). He's also a crap defender now who is too small. This is all nonsense and Aarons is, and has been, an excellent player for us. Short memories people, short memories.

If he goes to Leeds, fair enough, he'll go to a manager who knows how to get the best out of him, a massive club, a bigger salary and a real shot at PL football next year.

We should wish him well and thank him for five seasons where he never let us down and could have easily sulked or demanded a move. He never did.

#starman 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s clear from squad that Aaron’s is being sold, we need more money in and he wants a fresh challenge, not going to sign a new contract and we are under pressure to get best prices we can before he’s available for free!

Leeds is no doubt a bigger club, money size and representation, they are in a far more realistic chance of going up than most in this division so it’s not really a sideways move more a fresh challenge to a bigger club.

Additionally as recently shown Aaron’s can play both sides comfortably, so alongside Byram gives good coverage across the back this season.

He gets his move we get money into the club and save on wages, both parties win.

In footballing terms we don't win unless we spend at least the vast majority of the money we get from him on another player(s).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

The state of this thread. All of a sudden Aarons is our sub right back on the basis of one half decent game from Stacey (a game which Dimi outperformed him IMHO). He's also a crap defender now who is too small. This is all nonsense and Aarons is, and has been, an excellent player for us. Short memories people, short memories.

If he goes to Leeds, fair enough, he'll go to a manager who knows how to get the best out of him, a massive club, a bigger salary and a real shot at PL football next year.

We should wish him well and thank him for five seasons where he never let us down and could have easily sulked or demanded a move. He never did.

#starman 

He has been superb for us and the reality is we can't replace him with better like-for-like with our budgets unless we get incredibly lucky developing a youngster - Fisher could be the next one but we don't know.

What we have done well is sign Stacey who overall I don't think is a better player than Max, but has attributes that help us (height, physicality) whilst suiting the way Wagner wants to play.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Badger said:

(Slightly nervously...)

As you say we already have his replacement in the squad - who on early evidence seems to be an upgrade for Wagner's style of football. What word would you use instead of "reserve?"

It's one of those things that can be technically true but also a bit of a loaded term when discussing the merits of this transfer.

'£12m for our reserve right back' sounds great in isolation- a championship team getting £12m for a player who isn't good enough to make their first xi?! Amazing business!

We don't want to sell Max because he's not first choice- he's not first choice because we want to sell him. It's an important distinction in my view.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He has been superb for us and the reality is we can't replace him with better like-for-like with our budgets unless we get incredibly lucky developing a youngster - Fisher could be the next one but we don't know.

What we have done well is sign Stacey who overall I don't think is a better player than Max, but has attributes that help us (height, physicality) whilst suiting the way Wagner wants to play.

Good summary. Stacey looks really good and I think he's going to prove to be a great signing on a free. However Max is still, in my view, the better overall player and I'd suggest will reach higher career highs than Stacey. It's the right move for all parties right now but it is still a shame to see a good young player leave, especially to a rival.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Good summary. Stacey looks really good and I think he's going to prove to be a great signing on a free. However Max is still, in my view, the better overall player and I'd suggest will reach higher career highs than Stacey. It's the right move for all parties right now but it is still a shame to see a good young player leave, especially to a rival.

Especially when that rival is f*cking Leeds 

Just now, hogesar said:

Especially when that rival is f*cking Leeds 

I made peace with my misery when Farke arrived there, so Max going means very little to me. A few wins under Wagnerball though and it’ll be Farke who? Such is the nature of fickle fickle football fans. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's one of those things that can be technically true but also a bit of a loaded term when discussing the merits of this transfer.

'£12m for our reserve right back' sounds great in isolation- a championship team getting £12m for a player who isn't good enough to make their first xi?! Amazing business!

We don't want to sell Max because he's not first choice- he's not first choice because we want to sell him. It's an important distinction in my view.

I think the more important thing is does all the money fill a hole caused by financial mis management or is a chunk of it earmarked to reinvest in the first team squad.

13 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

I think the more important thing is does all the money fill a hole caused by financial mis management or is a chunk of it earmarked to reinvest in the first team squad.

Wouldn’t count on too much being made available, we need to start to plan to cover next season debt, as said we can cover the debt with the last parachute money for this year but we need to ensure financial security.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

Who would be negotiating this? Is it Webber still?

Around the 8m mark and decent add-ons (Leeds promotion etc)  doesn't seem too bad. Hopefully the initial fee is around that mark and we are not low balled too much.  

Either way I hope there is a decent sell on %. Particularly  as Farke could get the best out of him like he has before (if he doesn't get sacked of course). 

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No we can't replace him like-for-like, you're right.

And you're also right about Stacey in theory. I think he could prove to be an excellent replacement. However, he's played one game so it is far too early to label him as anything yet.

It just annoys the s**t out of me how people criticise Aarons when he's been such a good player and model pro for us.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Grando said:

In footballing terms we don't win unless we spend at least the vast majority of the money we get from him on another player(s).

Exactly 

if we sign some younger players with the money it will be a good thing in later years to sell those players for profit ,

if we get the signings right the 12 million invested could turn into a lot more ,

if it is to pay older players wages with no sell on fee it is bad for the club in long run ,

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Aarons is great at what he does, holds on to the ball well, passes accurately, and links play beautifully.

Two issues though -

When it comes to crossing, his decision making is questionable, often waiting too long then just passing sideways, or just not delivering particularly good crosses.

His defending is also a bit suspect due to his height and he is skinned a bit too easily by fast powerful wingers, especially in the PL. 

In a good team though, with a Farke like prediliction for keeping possession, those two weaknesses are not so important - if you keep the ball, the opposition don't have it and you can't get exposed at the back - and in attack it's the same, take no risks and you don't give possession away lightly (but you don't score so much either).

So yes, no wonder possession based type managers are after him - hence the Farke and Russell Martin links. Good luck to him, he's been terrific for us, don't begrudge him any move, even to Leeds.

In his defence, he has spent the last five seasons with Pukki to aim any crosses at - Farke teams rarely sling in cross after cross for very good reason.  But you have largely addressed that in you subsequent comment re. Possession based managers.

Max would be a very good signing for a Farke team.  He is likely to be less effective than Stacey in a Wagner team.  In my view he owes us absolutely nothing after five excellent seasons for us - largely injury free - and if he wants the Leeds move to play for a manager who rates him and a style that suits him then fair enough IMO. 

The fee is a fair reflection of his contract situation - it's not as if we are trying to recoup a massive transfer expenditure on him.

Leeds will be getting a good player who suits their system.  We will be getting a reasonable fee for one who doesn't especially suit ours and who is in the last year of his contract after years of highly professional service.  Win-win as far as I am concerned - I doubt he will make or break their promotion bid from right back and I'm not sure that losing him will massively affect our season as long as Stacey stays fit and / or Fisher steps up if needed.

I for one would thank him for his efforts and wish him well.

• Like 2

I wonder if Leeds have been interested since Farke came in, but we've been reluctant to sell due to the potential Top 6 rivalry, the Farke factor, and the suspicion that Webber could be on his way there too?

As the window progresses we're perhaps finding ourselves having to go into negotiations with them, as the only option that comes close to our valuation?

Edited by Google Bot

I always thought if we sold Max i would have the same gutting feeling as when we sold Emi. He’s been an outstanding servant to us but even his potential transfer to Leeds, has left me feeling a bit meh. It just doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Feel the last two years he’s stagnated. Who knows if he’ll recapture the form that make him such an exciting talent, but for me this transfer doesn’t hit like when we sold Buendia.

I know time will tell with Stacey but from what i’ve seen from pre-season and the first game, as well as following his career when he was at Luton i feel he is more than capable of filling the void.  

5 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Exactly 

if we sign some younger players with the money it will be a good thing in later years to sell those players for profit ,

if we get the signings right the 12 million invested could turn into a lot more ,

if it is to pay older players wages with no sell on fee it is bad for the club in long run ,

To be fair we have actually signed some very promising talent in the summer for our development and these all cost money, I think people might not appreciate that we have done really well with the youth who we’ve got in this summer.

• Like 1

I’m not against 12m providing most of it is up front and not add-ons. Think he would have got 25m-30m at his peak. I just hope they spend a good chunk of that money on an athletic, big, strong defensive midfielder. It will make all the difference .

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

I wonder if Leeds were have been interested since Farke came in, but we've been reluctant to sell due to the potential Top 6 rivalry, the Farke factor, and the suspicion that Webber could be on his way there too?

As the window progresses we're perhaps finding ourselves having to go into negotiations with them?

I've now got this image in my head of Webber on his own in a meeting room conducting both sides of the transfer negotiation Gollum-Smeagol style. 

And then coming out celebrating the success of his own hard-line negotiations with himself ...

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

I've now got this image in my head of Webber on his own in a meeting room conducting both sides of the transfer negotiation Gollum-Smeagol style. 

And then coming out celebrating the success of his own hard-line negotiations with himself ...

Would he get a selling % and a buying %…..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

12m seems a reasonable sum. I'm slightly surprised it's more of a sideways move than a step up the ladder given the interest he has had in the past.

This myth about the past links is something that puzzles me, I remember Barcelona wanting him on loan but at no point has any top clubs tabled a bid as far as I’m aware! Strange as he’s a very good young prospect with an under 21 championship under his CV.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

12m seems a reasonable sum. I'm slightly surprised it's more of a sideways move than a step up the ladder given the interest he has had in the past.

I think Fisher will end up being a better player and one who we will sell for a lot more money. People at the club can't believe how he has taken to senior football like a duck to water a la Stuart Pearce I suppose. Stacey with Fisher as back up is good. Spend funds on a new left back

3 minutes ago, canarycop said:

I think Fisher will end up being a better player and one who we will sell for a lot more money. People at the club can't believe how he has taken to senior football like a duck to water a la Stuart Pearce I suppose. Stacey with Fisher as back up is good. Spend funds on a new left back

Thats a very early call on Fisher seeing he has only played several times in pre season, but I admire your optimism. The initial signs are encouraging mind you.