kirku

Aarons to Leeds

1 minute ago, Soldier on said:

None of the above. Jamal was on a long term deal Max is in his last year and won’t sign a new contract.

Forgot that. Has Max indicated that he won't sign a new contract?

I really dont care where he ends up and im not surprised by the Leeds move. If he wants to go and play for that dirty club go let him. Its more a matter of how shrewdly we invest the £12m now. I want 3 decent signings for that amount. I dont ask much.

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

In fairness to Max I am unsure whether he has been offered one. Max and Webber both talked up his need to move on earlier in the summer though.

1. If we look at it objectively a deal for £12 million (probably less with add ons) is a good deal for someone who is our reserve full back in the last year of his contract.

2. As with Todd, it is reasonable to suggest that we might have done better financially to sell him earlier.

3. The add ons almost certainly include a promotion bonus, which means that financially we would benefit from Leeds gaining promotion! (Still not worth it imo, although I have a soft spot for Farke.)

33 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So NCFC would rather strengthen a rival for the sake of £12m?

I'm struggling with that I have to say. I can't see Webber agreeing that, unless of course Leeds is his likely destination.

That or risk losing him for nothing...

Not only that, but a similar statement has been made about Aarons since our last promotion to the premier league. In terms of selling him.

Yet the only offer that actually materialised as a solid one was a season long loan to Barcelona with no obligation to buy. Realistically that also meant Barcelona B.

Even this summer, we get the same sorts of rumours. Spurs, West Ham, now it's Sourhampton and Leeds.

As with Lewis, is Aarons really as good as some of our fan base project him to be? What is it other clubs are missing to not take the plunge on him?

I would probably look at the right backs who have moved for money to understand that.

Trippier and Walker. Different styles of full back. Both with pace. Trippier can cross and has set pieces in his tool box. Walker has height and has stepped into CB when needed.

Aarons is an assett or two away from them. Right now, if you took his pace away from him, I think he'd struggle.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

1. If we look at it objectively a deal for £12 million (probably less with add ons) is a good deal for someone who is our reserve full back in the last year of his contract.

2. As with Todd, it is reasonable to suggest that we might have done better financially to sell him earlier.

3. The add ons almost certainly include a promotion bonus, which means that financially we would benefit from Leeds gaining promotion! (Still not worth it imo, although I have a soft spot for Farke.)

I believe we have tried to sell him sooner... no bites though.

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Even this summer, we get the same sorts of rumours. Spurs, West Ham, now it's Sourhampton and Leeds.

Yes - noticeable that the rumours seemed to harden around championship teams, with PL teams dropping out. It will be interesting to see if there is a large minute "rush in" for him: if there isn't, I suggest that it shows us a lot.

Like you, I'm not sure it "strengthens an opponent." Even if our reserve right back makes Leeds a stronger team, they will be £12 "lighter." I imagine the big attraction to Farke is that he already knows Farke's way and will help the team as it adapts to his style.

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

I believe we have tried to sell him sooner... no bites though.

I agree - I suspect that some of the earlier rumour came from us! (But have absolutely no evidence as to whether this is the case.)

I think it's a touch disingenuous to refer to him as our reserve right back. He's only 'reserve' because we've been trying to sell him for the last few months and got his replacement in earlier. He was a starter for the last 5 or so seasons.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yes - noticeable that the rumours seemed to harden around championship teams, with PL teams dropping out. It will be interesting to see if there is a large minute "rush in" for him: if there isn't, I suggest that it shows us a lot.

Like you, I'm not sure it "strengthens an opponent." Even if our reserve right back makes Leeds a stronger team, they will be £12 "lighter." I imagine the big attraction to Farke is that he already knows Farke's way and will help the team as it adapts to his style.

As ever max will choose the team which he feels is right for his career, as he did when he joined us instead of Man City 

If Farke wants him then that is an endorsement of Max and it says a lot for the contribution he expects from the player, all of which rather distracts from the sudden outburst of negativity regarding him.

Farke knows what he's getting. He knows the player.

Farke will be eying the PL.

Aarons is great at what he does, holds on to the ball well, passes accurately, and links play beautifully.

Two issues though -

When it comes to crossing, his decision making is questionable, often waiting too long then just passing sideways, or just not delivering particularly good crosses.

His defending is also a bit suspect due to his height and he is skinned a bit too easily by fast powerful wingers, especially in the PL. 

In a good team though, with a Farke like prediliction for keeping possession, those two weaknesses are not so important - if you keep the ball, the opposition don't have it and you can't get exposed at the back - and in attack it's the same, take no risks and you don't give possession away lightly (but you don't score so much either).

So yes, no wonder possession based type managers are after him - hence the Farke and Russell Martin links. Good luck to him, he's been terrific for us, don't begrudge him any move, even to Leeds.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

We all appear satisfied with Stacey & Fisher. Leeds have got a Good Deal with Max ( in todays market ). Hopefully we can strengthen our Squad before Deadline with this money.

Really would have preferred Max joining a current Premiership Team

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm struggling with that I have to say. I can't see Webber agreeing that, unless of course Leeds is his likely destination.

I get the point you are making but on the other hand it gives us £12m which we can use to strengthen our team to a level that is better than having Aarons.

He has been brilliant for us but clearly stagnated and I don't think was that great last year. We appear to have a more than adequate replacement so even though I'd rather not sell to a rival £12m is better than none at the end of the season and IF spent wisely could make us a much better team than the current one just with Aarons.

I feel a bit sorry for Aarons -you'd have thought a premier league club would take a c£12m punt on him.

On another point, the Webber position is an interesting one... IF he is going to Leeds I do have some concerns on how robust he will be in negotiations with them, but can only hope the club is getting some form of independent oversight on the deal.

Edited by rock bus

Not only that Aarons signs a 4 year contract at leeds he is almost instantly worth more money ,

if Max wants to move fair enough after his service to the club 

if he is happy to see what the future brings at Norwich New owner and new DOF keep him ,

If he goes to leeds signs a 4 year deal they go up he plays well in PL then they are talking the money we should have got and we sit here skint 

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it's a touch disingenuous to refer to him as our reserve right back. He's only 'reserve' because we've been trying to sell him for the last few months and got his replacement in earlier. He was a starter for the last 5 or so seasons.

(Slightly nervously...)

As you say we already have his replacement in the squad - who on early evidence seems to be an upgrade for Wagner's style of football. What word would you use instead of "reserve?"

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

Not only that Aarons signs a 4 year contract at leeds he is almost instantly worth more money ,

if Max wants to move fair enough after his service to the club 

if he is happy to see what the future brings at Norwich New owner and new DOF keep him ,

If he goes to leeds signs a 4 year deal they go up he plays well in PL then they are talking the money we should have got and we sit here skint 

Im sure we will include a decent sell on fee as they will know they are getting a bargain on a player due to his contract status. 

7 minutes ago, Walcombe canary said:

Really would have preferred Max joining a current Premiership Team

Unless someone comes in quickly, it seems that no Premiership club really wanted him. I'm sure that I'll get corrected if wrong, but I suspect his stature is an issue for many clubs, particularly for someone in "the back 4."

Unless someone comes in quickly, it seems that no Premiership club really wanted him. I'm sure that I'll get corrected if wrong, but I suspect his stature is an issue for many clubs, particularly for someone in "the back 4."

just made same point on the Aarons/saints thread:

I know someone will identify a player to prove me wrong but I honestly think he is too small to be a modern full back. It was really noticeable last season that team were deliberately using cross field balls to target a larger winger or striker on Aaron's side.

I agree about pace and ability but I don't think he is that defensively astute. In fact I think he can be a bit unaware at times. In the championship his pace and ability means he gets away with it but he is found out in the premier league.

Whole heartedly agree with last point though, despite all of above he has been great for us (in the championship!)

Edited by rock bus
  • Like 1

Some on here struggling with the second word in the phrase transfer market. The club, Max and his agent have made it clear that the objective is to find Max a different club. It is in all of their best interests that this happens this window. The whole football world knows that. But there is no bidding war, which speaks to the player's value and the general opinion in the football world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

(Slightly nervously...)

As you say we already have his replacement in the squad - who on early evidence seems to be an upgrade for Wagner's style of football. What word would you use instead of "reserve?"

For sure, he’s currently unused (due to him 99.9% being likely to leave) and would be second choice; Stacey was bought to replace him and is better in our current system. That does, however you look at it, mean Aarons is a reserve in this squad/system.

• Like 1

Dunno if it's this board or our fan base which is dumb but how are people ok about thiis?1

1) Stacey has played a single game and in some people's opinion is first choice and a game changer. He's played ONCE.

2) Aaron's is a product of our academy who had been one of the first names on the team sheet since his debut and now all of a sudden meh... I realise he might be refusing to sign a new contract so let him rot rather than sell him to a rival 

3) Aaron's stagnated last season... Did you watch the cold porridge of football which was Dean Smiths football? Messi would have stagnated in that set up the entire fukcing club stagnated let alone max!

4) Leeds... Really... I'd prefer him to move there on a free at the end of the year than take money from them now for him. Leeds are a club we should hate who currently have our former manager and are about to employ or chief executive (not a bad thing) of course Webber is going to let max to to his next employers a bit cheaper.... Why does no one question this?

Edited by Nexus_Canary

Leeds will strengthen their right-back position with or without Aarons. I'd rather we had their £12m, for a player who is no longer our starting right-back. And the idea we would let him go on a free in a few months time really shouldn't be contemplated.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

We should not be selling tk any divisional rival. Full stop. But then we are so desperate for cash due to our selfish owners that we no doubt will do. 

😅😅😅😅😅😅

4 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Why does no one question this?

Because if he is such a bargain, someone else will come in for him - at present it seems that only Leeds and Southampton are interested. The absence of established premier league interest puts a de facto ceiling on his price.

• Like 1

A rival. Sadly my friend we will be nowhere near challenging Leeds this season, nor many others to come. We are mid to lower table nowadays. That’s where Webber leaves us. 

Because if he is such a bargain, someone else will come in for him - at present it seems that only Leeds and Southampton are interested. The absence of established premier league interest puts a de facto ceiling on his price.

Indeed -it does seem we/he have been waiting for the PL move but no one has so far bitten.  Perhaps they will now, or perhaps our two failed PL campaigns has clouded opinions of him for that level. There’s plenty of good u21-international players playing in the championship these days.

He’s done well for us, and vice versa, so wherever he heads off it should be with his head held high and with our best wishes.