kirku

Aarons to Leeds

On the front page. Could be worth "up to £12m".

Would be a shame to see him go to another Championship side, although clearly a bigger club and the lure of playing under Farke again would be likely a big pull. Fee sounds on the low end for what we'd have hoped for a few years ago.

Edited by kirku

I think it’s a good fee with the perceived lack of interest from other parties and his contract situation. Hopefully improve the squad more now. Like to see another CB and CM come in. 

Shame it wasn’t more when his stock was high. Surprised nobody from the prem wanted him for that sort of money but that’s how much he’s stagnated the last couple of seasons. Take the money and reinvest in a proper Alex Tettey replacement.

Whilst I get the Farke connection Leeds already have two RB's plus Sam Byram as cover so unless they've agreed to sell someone to fund Aarons it's a surprising move.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bert said:

More evidence that Webber is off to Leeds 

Not really farke  tried to sign him in Germany as well last summer.

We have had a few players over the last few years that we have missed good fees for.

The problem is that while they were at the top of their game we could not get players to support them of a same level. We have developed some great players in the last few years and made great fees but we have also missed the boat a bit.

Either way I wish him well and hope we do now have some finances to add to the squad, we do need upgrades.

One thing that we realised last year was we had no plan B and it seems 2 tall forwards and great quality on the box is one route but we also have Sara and Njnez able to pick a pass for players to run on to. So I would like a young hungry striker and a central defensive midfielder. If Andy O goes then def a centre back but as previously noted I am sure we will have replacements or new recruits lined up if fees land and a player departs.

Farke’s getting the band back together…

I respect what he did here but when we play Leeds I hope our high pressing, high octane game shafts them silly. 

• Like 1

Good luck to the pair of them. They’ve both given us sterling service, probably the best years of their respective careers. Absolutely no drama for me. 

• Like 2

Fee is decent and it makes sense with the Farke connection…just a bit ridiculous if he ends up there after hearing how Max has outgrown us, we’ve really fallen far quickly in terms of our own ambitions.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Fee is decent and it makes sense with the Farke connection…just a bit ridiculous if he ends up there after hearing how Max has outgrown us, we’ve really fallen far quickly in terms of our own ambitions.

I understand what you’re saying, but Webber is just talking hyperbole. Clubs will only buy if they want to buy - regardless of whether Webber thinks Aarons has outgrown us. Kind irrelevant what Webber thinks / says now anyway

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yet another sideways move. Probably the best money we could get mind

Remember when he was linked to top clubs? Good times

Whilst it's not a big money move to an established PL club I'd hardly call it sideways.

Leeds is big in every way (3rd largest population in England after Brum, if that's your criteria, great history if that's your criteria, big support if that's etc.) and will be one of the favourites this season and if they fail then promotion will surely only be a matter of time.

Edited by BroadstairsR

So NCFC would rather strengthen a rival for the sake of £12m?

I'm struggling with that I have to say. I can't see Webber agreeing that, unless of course Leeds is his likely destination.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We should not be selling tk any divisional rival. Full stop. But then we are so desperate for cash due to our selfish owners that we no doubt will do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm struggling with that I have to say. I can't see Webber agreeing that, unless of course Leeds is his likely destination.

I thought Leeds already have a DoF in place now?

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Whilst it's not a big money move to an established PL club I'd hardly call it sideways.

Leeds is big in every way (3rd largest population in England after Brum, if that's your criteria, great history if that's your criteria, big support if that's etc.) and will be one of the favourites this season and if they fail then promotion will surely only be a matter of time.

Less to do with them being a "bigger club" and more to do with him joining a team in the same divison as us after years of all the talk about him "being good enough for the top" and all the huge clubs that came after him

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We'd also be strengthening ourselves, because some of that money would be reinvested in our squad and we now have Stacey at right back.

Also, if Leeds didn't spend that money on Aarons, they'd use it on someone else, and you never know, the 'someone else' might be even better.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Less to do with them being a "bigger club" and more to do with him joining a team in the same divison as us after years of all the talk about him "being good enough for the top" and all the huge clubs that came after him

Hence not sideways though.

Max has been in the shop window long enough to excite interest from the bigger boys, but only two present Championship clubs, Leeds and Saints seem in the running.

A dream move for Aarons and us would be a lucrative deal with West Ham, but that doesn't seem likely any more.

Perhaps some of our "stars" do not shine as brightly as we think. Many were disappointed that Buendia only went to Aston Villa, yet he was initially not even a regular starter for them.

If this season is Emi's true breakthrough at Villa Park, as is on the cards, we may well reap the benefits from an even bigger sale.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bert said:

More evidence that Webber is off to Leeds 

That’s great news Id love to see them slip down the leagues again

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We'd also be strengthening ourselves, because some of that money would be reinvested in our squad and we now have Stacey at right back.

Also, if Leeds didn't spend that money on Aarons, they'd use it on someone else, and you never know, the 'someone else' might be even better.

Hope some of that is reinvested but proof will be in the pudding so to speak.

• Like 2

These who say he's regressed are clueless.   The team regressed, the style of play regressed, his options regressed, he had no cover since we don't have any insurance in midfield and they played forwards out of position in front of him.... players not naturally defensive.   

Won't take him long to start progressing again once he's in a better team.    

• Like 1

Is less for Max than we got for Jamal an:

Indication of Newcastle's naivety by over-estimating the lad, Webber's negotiating skills or a decline in the player's development?

An indication that we are desperate for money and the whole world knows it by now?

A decline in the value of any but those circulating among the big boys (with exceptions) whereby Man. City's untried youth go for nearly twice the sum quoted for Max.

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Is less for Max than we got for Jamal an:

Indication of Newcastle's naivety by over-estimating the lad, Webber's negotiating skills or a decline in the player's development?

An indication that we are desperate for money and the whole world knows it by now?

A decline in the value of any but those circulating among the big boys (with exceptions) whereby Man. City's untried youth go for nearly twice the sum quoted for Max.

None of the above. Jamal was on a long term deal Max is in his last year and won’t sign a new contract.

• Like 2