cambridgeshire canary

I see Mumba scored a world class wonder goal today

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I miss him already. Clearly from todays result we don't need him mind๐Ÿ˜‰

Iโ€™ll just repeat/paraphrase what I said earlier: I donโ€™t care about Bali Mumba. Heโ€™s gone and now plays for Plymouth, who I donโ€™t care about.ย 

Save your energy for thingsย that actually matter.ย 

• Like 1

We didn't need another height challenged RB however talented he maybe.ย  Wagner knows best for Norwich a creative free zone.ย  Creativity an over rated talent.ย  May have fluked result today jury still out until winning becomes common place

5 minutes ago, pete said:

We didn't need another height challenged RB however talented he maybe.ย  Wagner knows best for Norwich a creative free zone.ย  Creativity an over rated talent.ย  May have fluked result today jury still out until winning becomes common place

Fluked the result, perhaps.

But we created more chances, hit the post, narrow misses etc than we did in all the home games since Wagner took over. For much of the game we battered them. Hull only looked as good as we let them.ย  We fought for every ball, and then it was straight for goal. Gone was the over playing slow build up, then fannying around the box. No, it was, have a shot whenever possible.ย 

The late winner shows we have what previous title winning City sides had. The ability to grind out a result when it doesn't look likely.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, pete said:

Believe he started on the wing today, a position I always thought would be his end game. Would take him over Hernandez, Tzolis and Placheta any day of the week.ย 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Believe he started on the wing today, a position I always thought would be his end game. Would take him over Hernandez, Tzolis and Placheta any day of the week.ย 

Itโ€™s just hard to fathom why Wagner and Norwich didnโ€™t consider him as a winger, isnโ€™t it?! Heโ€™s clearly a very exciting, attack minded player who can score stunners. A real weapon.ย 

I canโ€™t see in anyway how selling Mumba can be justified. The lad is going to hit 10 plus goals this season.ย 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Itโ€™s just hard to fathom why Wagner and Norwich didnโ€™t consider him as a winger, isnโ€™t it?! Heโ€™s clearly a very exciting, attack minded player who can score stunners. A real weapon.ย 

I canโ€™t see in anyway how selling Mumba can be justified. The lad is going to hit 10 plus goals this season.ย 

i can understand if it was big money but for around a million looks far to cheap ,

young player of season last year ,if he carries on like he is will be worth a lot more at end of seasonย 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I do agree, and it does seem extremely dense selling him. But it's done, and I think we're almost universal in our acceptance that Webber is now a bit ****, so we're just going to have to swallow these dense things until he finally ****s off. There's nothing to be gained in seeing how he is getting on at Plymouth. He's now just another ex-player.

The evidence after match day 1 suggests selling Mumba and playing Hernandez was crass in the extreme.

Hernandez, despite his best efforts, is one of the bluntest weapons in our limited armoury. Much like Aarons , with his endless attacking runs down the road to nowhere, which was sadly emphasised by Staceyโ€™s display today.

Mumba looks like a real attacking deal, and without a clear explanation as to why he went, the hierarchy look to have made an appalling decision on letting Mumba go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I miss him already. Clearly from todays result we don't need him mind๐Ÿ˜‰

Mumba is nothing to do with us. You clearly miss the point if you don't go to matches.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I do agree, and it does seem extremely dense selling him. But it's done, and I think we're almost universal in our acceptance that Webber is now a bit ****, so we're just going to have to swallow these dense things until he finally ****s off. There's nothing to be gained in seeing how he is getting on at Plymouth. He's now just another ex-player.

The same bloke behind the signings that earned us 3 points today. Fisher, there was a mistake I suppose.

42 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

You're correct; he started on the left of a front three, so couldn't have been further away from the right back position unless he was in the car park.

I completely agree with you as well that he is a better proposition than some of the wingers we have. And I don't think the fee we received was enough to justify selling him.ย 

The goal he scored today was absolutely fantastic, and also underlines why most people in this forum viewed him as a winger rather than a full back.ย 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, pete said:

Right back? He played left wing back all last season. And played left wing for them today. Keep upย 

• Like 1

Rarely see goals like that. I can only think of John Barnes against Brazil in the Maracana, Maradona against England in 86 and probably a distant memory of George Best against Northampton or something.

Still. ยฃ1,000,000, eh?

WELL DONE STURT.ย 

I don't think the departure of Mumba can be laid ar Webber's door, one of his many mistakes.ย  Mumba was clearly not fancied by Wagner a man who clearly cannot see pore talent and is evidenced by Mumba comments in press and after yesterdays match.ย  He feels the love at Plymouth something lacking at Carrow Rd,ย  Wagner has got the man management skills of Farke.ย  Wagner obviously can't see talent, however seems Rowe a talent hjm on rightย and Mumba on left would have been exhilirating, but we will go with Onel, proved his capabilities yesterday.

I hate Wagner and Webber, Delia and the rest I admit so much just couldn't enjoy yesterday and last minute goal from the talentless Idah made it even worse.ย  An unlikely promotion charge may just improve my demeanour biut I doubt it its gone too far now.ย ย ย ย ย 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pete said:

last minute goal from the talentless Idah made it even worse

You couldnโ€™t enjoy a last minute goal by one of your players to win a game of football from the team you supportโ€ฆ wowโ€ฆ a hit at parties??

• Like 2

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Thing is, as much as dislike Webber for certain aspects, heโ€™s not stupid. Heโ€™s made a lot of bad transfers, but some great ones too. And for every bad transfer, for the most, I can see the โ€˜paperโ€™ logic and reasoning for taking that punt in the first place.

Specifically selling players though. Although a fewย have angered me, Pritchard, Howson and Buendia, I donโ€™t think there is an example of any being bad business on both commercial and football fronts. Buendia was bad on the football front, but certainly not commercially. Godfreyย was excellent business on both. And in near all circumstances, no player has gone on to be great success from Norwich.ย 

Mumba does look to be the first playerย leaving under his reign that doesnโ€™t make sense either commercially or on the pitch. Heโ€™s surely worth more money (or very likely will be soon)ย than the relative peanuts we received, and offers more in terms of attacking ability than players vested in by Wagner.ย 

I just canโ€™t see the logic and Iโ€™m confident to say Webber has this one wrong.ย Wagners statements about him being a full back only were bizarre. He played Aarons right winger at Stoke last year!

Due to the above, this transfer will be scrutinised for a while yet. Even Ipswich fans are a bit of obsessed with him!ย 

ย 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

We can't assume, though, that Mumba would have performed as well for us as he didย for Plymouth today. First, he wouldn't have been played as a winger. Second, he was playing for a manager who believed in him and that wouldn't be true here. For me, that's a real shame because Rowe on one wing and Mumba on the other sounds a pretty potent combination.

But it's history now. He's gone and we can't change it. Better hope that Sainz is as good as he's made out to be.

EDIT: Those people who don't think he could work as a winger, watch the build-up to the first Plymouth goal rather than just the stunning second one.

Edited by canarybubbles

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

We can't assume, though, that Mumba would have performed as well for us as he didย for Plymouth today. First, he wouldn't have been played as a winger. Second, he was playing for a manager who believed in him and that wouldn't be true here. For me, that's a real shame because Rowe on one wing and Mumba on the other sounds a pretty potent combination.

But it's history now. He's gone and we can't change it. Better hope that Sainz is as good as he's made out to be.

But that assumption is made every time we sign a new player, why is this any different really?

To be fair, Mumba appear to be happy and settled there, heโ€™d never got an opportunity here with the players here so did the right thing and has said so! Sad to see this one go as I genuinely believe heโ€™s is a talent.

Great goal and well done young Mumba. When do we play Plymouth? Hopefully we wonโ€™t have Gibson playing as Duffy Gibson combo might see a replay of a dancing Mumba through our defence!

Great goal weโ€™ll finished.

7 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

But that assumption is made every time we sign a new player, why is this any different really?

My reading of this FWIW is that Wagner had already made his decisions about how we were going to set up this season and Mumba was a complication that he didn't want. So it was easier to simply see Mumba as a full back only and not to look at the possibility that he could be a more productive winger than any of Hernandez, Placheta, Tzolis, Springett etc.

Wagner seems the kind of head coach who works from the system and then slots players into the system rather than looks at the players he has and builds a system around them. We have to see if this works this season. The pre-season signs and yesterday's performance suggest it might, but it's very early days.

If Plymouth were to sell Mumba tomorrow I wonder how much they would get for him?

After yesterday's display, and previous accolades it is likely to be quite a bit more than he cost them.

I just hope that we have massive add-ons.

• Like 1

A great goal to be sure. But I suspect there will be very few other powder-puff defences that would give him such an easy free run like the Huddersfield defence did today. We have a well stocked academy, and it is a function of that thatย some talented youngsters will be sold or released. I suspect the club decided that 3 border-line first-team young wingers was a surfeit of riches and decided to let one of Mumba, Springett and Rowe go.ย  Who knows exactly why they chose Mumba to sell, but I doubt they simply drew his name out of a hat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whilst it was a good goal I do think people are getting a tad carried away describing it as world class. He had one midfielder who guessed he was going the wrong way, then ran through acres of space before the defender backed off until he shot. Good pace and positivity but he Rowe's goal certainly showed more skill...

• Like 1

Mumba scored a good goal - that's good and we should be happy for him. Presumably, he played well yesterday for a team that will be scrapping to avoid relegation.

Trying to pretend that it's instantly 5x his valuation, or that you understand the full terms of the deal with Plymouth, or that "the forum" know more about him than the coaching staff, is ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

A great goal to be sure. But I suspect there will be very few other powder-puff defences that would give him such an easy free run like the Huddersfield defence did today. We have a well stocked academy, and it is a function of that thatย some talented youngsters will be sold or released. I suspect the club decided that 3 border-line first-team young wingers was a surfeit of riches and decided to let one of Mumba, Springett and Rowe go.ย  Who knows exactly why they chose Mumba to sell, but I doubt they simply drew his name out of a hat.

Now, now. Don't go talking sense.

As someone rightly identified yesterday, this is like binning Iniesta because they're both a bit short.

It's the same level of genius insight that had people pretending Sorensen was the perfect blend of Gattuso and Pirlo, if only the philistine coaching staff could open their eyes..

Edited by kirku
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Exactly this. The defence that he isnโ€™t a full back so is expendable is rubbish. Heโ€™s an out and out winger and seems better at it than Onel Hernandez.ย 

I donโ€™t care that Wagner didnโ€™t fancy him; he had the potential to outlast Wagner and that is the exact sort of scenario the sporting director model should ensure isnโ€™t really a thing.ย 

I genuinely think this could be Webberโ€™s biggest failure at this club and that is saying something.
ย 

Edited by Captain Holt