Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Semi official friendly match thread Le Téfécé V Canaries*

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Fair to say that with Nunez, Sara and Fassnacht in the team we look like a different side

And with Giannoulis and Tzolis working down the left. I think I remember almost four more goals from that side - the offside, the chance where Gibbs should have hit it first time, and two where Gibbs and Fassnacht just failed to connect. We suddenly looked creative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

And with Giannoulis and Tzolis working down the left. I think I remember almost four more goals from that side - the offside, the chance where Gibbs should have hit it first time, and two where Gibbs and Fassnacht just failed to connect. We suddenly looked creative.

Certainly looked like we had something - I suspect Rowe and Springett might be heading out on loan.

Nice to hear the positivity around the last few mins and uts good to get a goal and a win under the belts.   Hopefully wagners preferred starting line up is crystallising.

Need to remember that the french league starts a week later than us and their keeper looked like he also deserved an assist credit.

But we continue to look solid defensively (defences wins titles they say) and we seem to have a philosophy to score of let them make mistakes and or set pieces

Bring on olympiacos

4 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Certainly looked like we had something - I suspect Rowe and Springett might be heading out on loan.

Out all afternoon so great to read the positive last 40….but Don’t we need to have a set number of homegrown players in the playing Squad? Surely we need to keep them for that reason?

5 minutes ago, BigFish said:

My money's still on Tzolis being loaned out. I get the feeling Wagner prefers a player who can run and run to one who can see and weight a killer pass. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Captain Holt said:

It must be said, with all the usual pre season caveats, that this is terrible. Absolutely nothing creative in this team set up in this way with this manager. If this carries on we’re going to score one goal every five games.

Don’t agree. We looked solid against a decent side. Lacked creativity til the last 40 but then we didn’t have any of our more creative attacking players on. We have a much more robust look about us. 

• Like 1

Just now, canarybubbles said:

My money's still on Tzolis being loaned out. I get the feeling Wagner prefers a player who can run and run to one who can see and weight a killer pass. I hope I'm wrong.

Would be a real shame quality/ creAtivity  seemed to go up a notch when Tzolis on to link with the others 

13 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Look forward to Saturday... surely they both start against Olympiacos

30 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

Missed the whole thing.......can someone give an abridged version? 

You’ll be able to rewatch the full game on the canaries player over the next few days 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I get the feeling Wagner prefers a player who can run and run to one who can see and weight a killer pass. I hope I'm wrong.

Very much my feeling too.  And I don't want to dislike the likes of Rowe for being played for so many minutes either because of that, as wish to get behind all players... But there seems such favouritism going in his direction that is frustrating when other, more established player is only seeing 10 mins gametime.

The 3x 40 mins format really showed a big difference in runners vs ball playing types.  I just hope we maintain a balance.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Very much my feeling too.  And I don't want to dislike the likes of Rowe for being played for so many minutes either because of that, as wish to get behind all players... But there seems such favouritism going in his direction that is frustrating when other, more established player is only seeing 10 mins gametime.

The 3x 40 mins format really showed a big difference in runners vs ball playing types.  I just hope we maintain a balance.

I think there's an argument for starting the runners, to keep the game tight and wear out the opposition. But once the game gets more stretched because players are getting tired, I think fresh creative players can make all the difference. In a way that seemed to be what happened today - that the creative players came on in the last 40 and turned the game around.

Looked ok to me, good to get more minutes in the legs, is never a bad thing to win a game; hopefully any knocks are only minor.

Poor old Idah, rounded off what was a rather nice move, only to see the flag up.

12 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I thought Rowe was our bright attacking option in the first 40. Could go past their players with ease but we didn't get the ball enough to him.

Gianoullis is a huge attacking threat and to be fair Tzolis linked up with him well (after a start where he'd ran straight into the opposition and given the ball away 3 times). 

I still don't think there's much we can take from pre season other than we appear to have a much more solid structure and we are actually pressing how Wagner wants us to for the most part.

Will we look the same under the pressure of competitive football with fans?

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I think there's an argument for starting the runners, to keep the game tight and wear out the opposition. But once the game gets more stretched because players are getting tired, I think fresh creative players can make all the difference. In a way that seemed to be what happened today - that the creative players came on in the last 40 and turned the game around.

Agree with this, with the exception of Hernandez, who is a speed merchant you want to keep in reserve for tiring defenders due to his ability to turn in tight spaces.

Edited by TheGunnShow

I hate to be “that guy” but Idah got a single mention in the match report and that was in reference to him giving the ball away leading to a Toulouse chance. Can someone please tell me he made some more positive contributions that haven’t been mentioned?

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I hate to be “that guy” but Idah got a single mention in the match report and that was in reference to him giving the ball away leading to a Toulouse chance. Can someone please tell me he made some more positive contributions that haven’t been mentioned?

Probably offside a couple of times as well…oh positive

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I thought Rowe was our bright attacking option in the first 40. Could go past their players with ease but we didn't get the ball enough to him.

Yeah he looked strong, he just needs to work on his touch as he seems very raw in those elements to me.  But that will hopefully come with gametime.  It still feels like he's in that phase of wanting to impress, a bit like Onel which can lead to doing too much.

I just hope we go with this balance of players, and not put eggs all into the runners is my only concern right now.  I say that as I expect Wagner to be a very stubborn man so would rather he had a plan A and B that are his at the start of the season, rather than needing to find one mid-season.

21 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He tapped in an off side goal. But, honestly, looked very ordinary. It’s a huge season for him as he is no longer youth - but how many chances can he fluff? 

24 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He was lucky that he was offside when he missed a chance from about one yard out and then he was unlucky when he scored but there was an earlier offside (I think it was Giannoulis who was offside, not Idah, but I need to look again to be sure.)

35 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Did they not mention the part where he skied an open goal from about a yard out?

• Thanks 2

Rowe's been out for a long time and will take more than a pre season to get up to speed. Has anyone seen any highlights available anywhere?

The incomings look pretty decent tbh. Dare I say Webber looks to have been involved in some pretty astute signings so far.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Dare I say Webber looks to have been involved in some pretty astute signings so far.

Let's not forget the work that went into getting Sara here too, such a game changer.

33 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The incomings look pretty decent tbh. Dare I say Webber looks to have been involved in some pretty astute signings so far.

Stacey looks good for sure. Bringing Barnes in was very savvy and Fassnacht seems to have hit the ground running. Looking forward to seeing what Sainz can do, too. 

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

That just about sounds like a plan I could get behind. Let's hope we've actually got enough firepower to score the goals.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Out all afternoon so great to read the positive last 40….but Don’t we need to have a set number of homegrown players in the playing Squad? Surely we need to keep them for that reason?

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Couldn't disagree with either of you guys, I expect you are right. I think it would be a shame if it happened that way for these reasons but would undertstand.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Nothing to fault in pre season, quietly confident it’s coming together. 

Yes. A few surprises as well  Duffy looks very solid and competent (no backheaders though). Much as with Stacey. Gino was linking up well down the left side, whoever was with him. Gibbs is quite an aggressive player for someone so slight. Looking like he will take a DM role. Sara's goal was a 'Hey lads, look what you have been missing'

Without an open admission of fault, the signings are in direct contrast to the ones signed from abroad previously. Players who look like they are ready for the Championship. i expect that what we have saved in transfer fees is going out in wages - but if they do the job then that's fine.  Too many recent loans and purchases have turned out duds.

• Like 2