8 minutes ago, S_81 said:

And the weird happy clappers on this forum applaud the move without even knowing the fee. Further evidence of the expectation demise of our fan base. 

And the people that are blatantly using Mumba as a nice new stick to beat the club with

I was p'eed off when we moved Earley on with not even recognising how good a LB he was.  Watching him perform at Stevenage he wass the best LB I saw last season, that includes the crep we currently have.  Now Mumba previously ignored by previous coaches and sent on loan andf now sold without any opportunity to see how good he could have been.  For the 20 minutes he actually played under Farke he was a threat on the left wing and looked a threat.  Wagner gave him no chance to see him and only praised Rowe.  Is he better than Mumba I think not.  Crazy team building from Wagner and Webber.

It does seem a strange one, if true.

Surely the League One Young Player of the Season, a regular starter in a team who won the league with over 100 points, is worth more than a club like Plymouth would be able to pay?

We're short on wingers with Sainz out injured, so I would've thought he'd get a chance, especially if he's competing with just Hernandez, Placheta, Tzolis and Rowe, none of whom are particularly convincing for varying reasons.

• Like 3

I have mixed feelings about it. Accepting it was only in pre season friendlies Mumba has looked pretty terrible at RB.

Most of us wanted Smith sacked and accept that the new coach should be allowed to rebuild. If Wagner and coaching team  don't think Mumba is up to it and or doesn't fit our style of play then we have to accept that. 

Perhaps Mumba is not happy about the prospect of benchwarming either, and we also have to accept players like Onel are blockages to the development of younger players. Again this is Wagner's choice and he sees more of the squad than we do.

Also means we need another RB sharpish as we have no cover for the now inevitable injury to Stacey.

If it was for a pretty significant sum of money then I could see the logic. 

But it seems to me that we are moving somebody with considerable creative potential on because he doesn't match up to the current template of a full-back which is a position that most considered posters on here don't think he is especially suited for (and where he wasn't particularly played last season) for a not particularly considerable transfer fee.  

The very fact that Plymouth are so keen to sign him should at least set some alarm bells ringing.  If we aren't convinced on him yet, why not a loan and see if he can cut it in the Championship against everyone else except us ?!

23 minutes ago, S_81 said:

And the weird happy clappers on this forum applaud the move without even knowing the fee. Further evidence of the expectation demise of our fan base. 

Who's "applauded the move"?

I've seen fans discussing it.

Some haven't instantly ripped into everyone at the club about it, are those the people you refer to?

26 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

So we are crying out for creativity/ Mumba was amongst the most creative in his league last year playing a little further forward, so instead of playing to his strength we are going to hand him for peanuts to a relegation rival. I have no words. 

madness I agree, we need forward threats and he knows the attacking area. So unless we get mega money it is a no go

• Like 1

I think the point is that fans like to see creative players going for it and that is what Mumba offers. Giannoulis is good going forwards too, but Mumba looks to be such a confident player and on the back of his successful season, seems to point him doing well at Norwich.....but if he goes to Plymouth, he will likely do well again there too, which is not what we want at a rival club.

If he does go back to Plymouth, it just feels disappointing not to have seen some more of him playing for us....and we aren't exactly overburdened with confident creative players......

• Like 1

I was looking forward to Mumba in a forward role for us next season .... one of the highlights as he's done little wrong in my book. He looked decent in his previously brief exposure in yellow and seemed to have confirmed that promise during his stint at Plymouth.

Then Wagner said he would be a full/wing-back, and I was slightly dispirited, now he's off to a rival for a smallish fee that won't be of much use in the marketplace in any case.

Huh! Where exactly are we heading it seems to get more confusing rather than less so?

23 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

And the people that are blatantly using Mumba as a nice new stick to beat the club with

My favourite stick this summer has been the home kit stick. What’s been yours?! In fact I should probably create a new thread… watch this space - might be a summer retrospective thread…

41 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

With perfect justification on this occasion. 

Have a pretty limited knowledge of football, but think it's safe to say you can judge a player's ability by the stature of a club that comes in for him if he's available for transfer.

I've not seen enough to Bali to feel strongly about this one, but the bottom line is he's joining a club likely to be below us next season.

20 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

You can only make money from those players who others wish to pay for. 

Parma

Tomorrow - the pope is Catholic and bears sh1t in the woods 

So we sell Mumba for 800K and keep the multi-talented Idah and the phenomenally successful Placheta on the books. Rowe and Springett are also ahead of a player who has actually achieved something.

People are saying it was only L1 where he won the Young Player of the Season award. Can you imagine Idah winning that if we sent him out on loan to L1? He wouldn't win it if we sent him to National League North. And I don't think I heard much about Springett pulling up trees at Derby. But he runs and runs and that seems to be the limit of Wagner's vision about a player.

And the boy Fisher has suddenly become a superstar in many people's eyes. It doesn't seem to matter that it was only the National League, two levels below L1.

It's madness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

Mumba is also better than all of those left wing options. And played his best football on Plymouth’s left wing 

He didn't play left wing. He was wing back which is totally different. I would rather rely on those who saw him play rather than our fans who didn't.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

So we sell Mumba for 800K and keep the multi-talented Idah and the phenomenally successful Placheta on the books. Rowe and Springett are also ahead of a player who has actually achieved something.

People are saying it was only L1 where he won the Young Player of the Season award. Can you imagine Idah winning that if we sent him out on loan to L1? He wouldn't win it if we sent him to National League North. And I don't think I heard much about Springett pulling up trees at Derby. But he runs and runs and that seems to be the limit of Wagner's vision about a player.

And the boy Fisher has suddenly become a superstar in many people's eyes. It doesn't seem to matter that it was only the National League, two levels below L1.

It's madness.

What has Idah got to do with it?

We are talking about a player where we already have two left backs. We won't be using wing backs and we have two left sided wide players already.

So if DW says to Mumba that he might not be a starter, then just maybe the player wants to go to a team he walks into.

• Like 3

1m for Mumba. Seriously, what’s the point. What will we do with that money to get better!? 

Surely we need to keep these players who gain acclimation in one division lower? Why not loan him back for the season if he’s not going to get much game time!

I’m not so convinced with the three free players we’ve signed, time will tell but I don’t think we’ve strengthened in what we’ve lost from last summer to now! Mumba & McCullum are players who should be pushing on and I’m concerned Wagner going for too much experience.

Still I’m in no position to make judgement time will show.

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

He didn't play left wing. He was wing back which is totally different. I would rather rely on those who saw him play rather than our fans who didn't.

Keep clapping 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Who's "applauded the move"?

I've seen fans discussing it.

Some haven't instantly ripped into everyone at the club about it, are those the people you refer to?

Quite. It seems some are opposed to it almost on a point of principle that the club can do no right; certainly not on any evidence of having seen him play for us. Others (me included) would love to keep him as a good young prospect, but I can’t see where he’d play so there’s limited point either for us or for him. No one is desperate to see him go. I might have suggested a loan but maybe it isn’t considered an option.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

Mumba is also better than all of those left wing options. And played his best football on Plymouth’s left wing 

Agreed. Keeping faith in the likes of Tzolis and Placheta is a very unwise strategy in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite. It seems some are opposed to it almost on a point of principle that the club can do no right; certainly not on any evidence of having seen him play for us. Others (me included) would love to keep him as a good young prospect, but I can’t see where he’d play so there’s limited point either for us or for him. No one is desperate to see him go.

The fee just seems such a madness. Loan him out for the year if we weren’t going to play him. His value would likely only increase 

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed. Keeping faith in the likes of Tzolis and Placheta is a very unwise strategy in my opinion. 

I dont think its keeping the faith, its just no one is silly enough to buy them or loan them, apart from us of course.

This fits the general pattern of the club selling creative or talented players or letting them leave on a free. There's been a general dilution of talent over the past few seasons and this seems to be just the latest example.

The club seems to have no idea what its doing and don't deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point. 

I suspect we may regret not hanging on to the League One Young Player of the Year when we're playing there in a couple of seasons. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

he general pattern of the club selling creative or talented players or letting them leave on a free. There's been a general dilution of talent over the past few seasons and this seems to be just the latest example.

The club seems to have no idea what its doing and don't deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point. 

I suspect we may regret not hanging on to the League One Young Player of the Year when

Scary isnt it, its almost like some people haven't been giving 100%