6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

If Max goes, it means we've got Stacey and Dimi for LB/RB positions doesn't it?

Sorensen as backup, plus Fisher?  Or have I missed someone?

Sam McCallum too….although he’s not been great so far either.

• Thanks 1

If there is a good sell on clause this could actually be a very good piece of business. An awful lot on here are unhappy with the Idah situation, many feeling he should have been loaned out to develop.

With Mumba, as quite a few on here have said (are they club apologists?), there was no prospect of him getting in the starting line up regularly, at full back or winger, left or right and definitely not as a wing back. Like Idah, this would mean he would fail to develop. At the end of the following season there would be a real risk that Mumba himself would be pissed off and the club would get bobbins for a fee as he moved on. The club's thinking is that Plymouth want him, are prepared to pay something for him that other clubs might not right now, if he is successful at Plymouth they may sell him on for a very good fee and Plymouth right now are probably quite prepared to accept a big sell on clause which would yield Norwich a good return in the future if this happens. If he actually proves to be not quite as good as most on here seem to believe, at least we have a million in the bank and have moved on a plyer who would increasingly become demotivated.

I also think that Mumba has pushed for this move. He did so at Sunderland, this suggests he has an agent (boo, hiss) who is not slow on getting his clients transfers. 

Perhaps the lull in the transfer market meant that the stars were aligned for this transfer to happen to fill the boredom. I wonder as well as to what else is about to happen?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Bunny said:

Dodgy? He literally couldn't have done any better on loan last season. He took his opportunity on loan perfectly, totally excelling by all accounts. There was almost nothing he could have done better in that situation. What exactly did you expect, a Ballon d'or? 

Wasting your typing with some of the blind loyalty on here. It’s baffling. But is in part why we are where we are 

Just now, shefcanary said:

If there is a good sell on clause this could actually be a very good piece of business. An awful lot on here are unhappy with the Idah situation, many feeling he should have been loaned out to develop.

With Mumba, as quite a few on here have said (are they club apologists?), there was no prospect of him getting in the starting line up regularly, at full back or winger, left or right and definitely not as a wing back. Like Idah, this would mean he would fail to develop. At the end of the following season there would be a real risk that Mumba himself would be pissed off and the club would get bobbins for a fee as he moved on. The club's thinking is that Plymouth want him, are prepared to pay something for him that other clubs might not right now, if he is successful at Plymouth they may sell him on for a very good fee and Plymouth right now are probably quite prepared to accept a big sell on clause which would yield Norwich a good return in the future if this happens. If he actually proves to be not quite as good as most on here seem to believe, at least we have a million in the bank and have moved on a plyer who would increasingly become demotivated.

I also think that Mumba has pushed for this move. He did so at Sunderland, this suggests he has an agent (boo, hiss) who is not slow on getting his clients transfers. 

Perhaps the lull in the transfer market meant that the stars were aligned for this transfer to happen to fill the boredom. I wonder as well as to what else is about to happen?

He’ll have pushed after being told he’s not in the thinking. But it’s perplexing why he isn’t. Our left side options are poor 

• Like 3

I would understand this decision if we sent him out on loan and it was clear that he 'found his level' in the lower leagues, but he excelled in a promotion winning side and is being sold to someone in the same division. It's baffling. Only thing I can think of is a falling out or an agent causing issues. Other than that, it doesn't add up. It raises concerns about the state of the clubs balance sheet if we are grabbing at such trivial fees.

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Absolutely spot on, Imo it’s a pragmatic decision - he has done well (allbeit at a lower level) in a formation we don’t play. I can’t see him having anything other than odd chances for us, and we need to be fair to him.  We can jidge the decision much more fairly when we see the squad at the end of the Window. 

5 minutes ago, S_81 said:

He’ll have pushed after being told he’s not in the thinking. But it’s perplexing why he isn’t. Our left side options are poor 

Exactly, I'm not denying it. So better all round for him to be moved on. We can if we want just stamp our feet and demand Webber's / Wagners' / Smith's head, but what's done is done. For once I think the club has done right for both player and club given the circumstances.

4 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

agent causing issues

Definitely this ...

And yes, you just know Mumba will score against us, but so have plenty of others we've moved on - generally this is the only thing those players ever do after being let go by us.

FFS  I wish so called fans would stop bashing the club. They see the players say in day out and maybe Bali just wasn't up to the levels required. He may have had 13 goal assists last season but when I watched him play his positional sense wasn't great. If he hasn't improved then he is no good to us and £1m plus is good business. Our starting 11 will be completely different in 3 weeks time. All have a little faith eh ?

36 minutes ago, S_81 said:

We can’t be confident they are good judges of talent - given much of the recent track record regarding signings. So no reassurance that 

Exactly. Really, given recent moves, we should almost assume that any bit of transfer business is bad. We should not have any confidence in Webber after the last 2 or so years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Don't really get the furore. Is he really that good? If the coach doesn't fancy him then he doesn't, simple as that really. 

I see it like this ...

1. He's shown actual promise. There's evidence there.

2. We could give him some time in a different position, specifically left winger, to see what he can do. Even a half season. At a position of need.

3. Instead we're shipping him out for a pretty small sum to a rival.

It just seems like we didn't even really try. We don't have much money, we don't have much talent, but as fans I think we at least hope the club can try?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

As well written as this argument is - I can't agree.

This club is based on a self funding model. The primary source of funding has to come from the sale of players. If we want progress, ****, if we want this club to even be able to stand still - we need to be encouraging a conveyer belt of talent at the club. 

Mumba last season was an influential member of a promotion winning season. 6 goals and 7 assists from a wing back position is a superb return. He has earnt the opportunity to play at a higher level this season. If our own tactical approach was not going to give him the chance to get that game time, the option should have been taken on his deal and he should be allowed to go out on loan, which Plymouth I suspect would likely have jumped at the chance to take again.

Imagine now, Mumba plays for Plymouth, does as well in the Championship for them as he did for them last season. His English nationality and age means Plymouth likely have an £8m-£10m player on their hands. With a year left on his deal, we would likely be asking for £3m+. 

If Mumba flopped - what would we have lost? I'm not privy to the add ons, maybe we might benefit to the value of millions of them, I don't know. But the relatively small fee we've gotten up front seems a small amount to risk compared to the development opportunity a young player of Mumba's age and potential offered for us.

A strange, very disappointing and concerning decision which I think hints at underlying cash issues at the club that I really didn't think existed.  

• Like 2

Could it just be the case that Mumba thinks he deserves first team football and hasnt displayed enough so far in pre season that the club dont deem him good enough to dislodge our existing players? That is probably the most likely scenario that has happened here. I do not see this as an end of the world scenario like most fans are making out currently, there needs to be some perspective, despite some wider aspects concerning the clubs hierarchy and steps going forwards.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Imagine now, Mumba plays for Plymouth, does as well in the Championship for them as he did for them last season. His English nationality and age means Plymouth likely have an £8m-£10m player on their hands. With a year left on his deal, we would likely be asking for £3m+. 

Imagine now, the money for Mumba allows us to formalise the signing of a Defensive Midfielder who could transform our starting 11.

What would you rather?

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

As well written as this argument is - I can't agree.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

Mumba thinks he deserves first team football and hasnt displayed enough so far in pre season that the club dont deem him good enough to dislodge our existing players

Absolutely, plus his bloody meddling agent ...

Oh come on. The fee is nothing to do with our cash position but that of Plymouth's, who were the only club likely to be interested in Mumba. Why are we on three, yes three, overseas pre-training visits if there was a cashflow crisis. Hardly like Hull having four pre-season games in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire because the owner won't spend any more, is it? FFS Cambridgeshire, do think first before posting.

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Imagine now, the money for Mumba allows us to formalise the signing of a Defensive Midfielder who could transform our starting 11.

What would you rather?

Yep it's a possibility.  I hear on the 🍇 grapevine , Declan Rice's wee brother is ready for the big time 100k .17Yr old. Bargain.🤣😉🙃

• Haha 1

Why is it that some posters cannot understand that Mumba is not a left back, not a left winger but is a wing back.

If you do not understand the difference and cannot understand that we do not play wingbacks then perhaps you will never understand this sale.

49 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Happy clapping post of the thread 

42 minutes ago, S_81 said:

I messed up the reply. I was commenting upon the poster who can’t get the furore. Must be like Webber and Wagner and can’t see talent 

If I was a happy clapper I'd rather be that than a pant wetter. 

2 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

You can only make money from those players who others wish to pay for. 

Parma

Sometimes, Mouldyo , your knowledge of football takes the Mickey...out of itself.

30 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

What would you rather?

I would ask the question why a key position needs funding with the sale of a promising youngster when we've had not one but two seasons of Premier League money and are being told by Wagner in interviews we do not need to sell to buy. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I would ask the question why a key position needs funding with the sale of a promising youngster when we've had not one but two seasons of Premier League money and are being told by Wagner in interviews we do not need to sell to buy. 

He's said we don't need to sell.  I don't think he's ever said we don't need to sell if we want to buy, however? 

But yes agree whole heartedly on selling a youngster for this kind of money when it's clear he's going to be worth far more in the future.  Which just makes me think that there's s deal the club are wanting to get over the line but operating at a tighter budget than expected.

Personally hopeful that this means that Max is the only significant outgoing, Rashica stays and we bring in someone else to steady up in the centre. 

In that instance, while we've sold Mumba relatively cheap, we've also not had to carry him for a few seasons and split between loans and fitting him into a system that doesn't suit but instead opted for players that will.

Question remains though, what outcome would you rather?

Edited by Google Bot

24 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Cambridgeshire, do think first before posting

If he did ,would it be an Oxymoron .

40 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Absolutely spot on, Imo it’s a pragmatic decision - he has done well (allbeit at a lower level) in a formation we don’t play. I can’t see him having anything other than odd chances for us, and we need to be fair to him.  We can jidge the decision much more fairly when we see the squad at the end of the Window. 

I have to problems with this sort of thinking.

1- it's extremely short termist to sell an exciting young prospect because he has excelled in a position that our current manager, who has a one year rolling contract, is coming in on the back of 1 win in 11 to finish the season and was hired by a sporting director who is on his way out. 

2- Mumba, in his young career has shown remarkable adaptability. He was a central midfielder when he joined, was converted to right back by Farke and last season excelled at left wing back. There is nothing to suggest he couldn't have worked to adapt his game to a position we do use.

Personally I think we'll regret this one quite a lot. I think he'll do well at Plymouth and they'll get a good fee for him, while the manager who apparently can't use him will be gone by Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S_81 said:

1m for Mumba. Seriously, what’s the point. What will we do with that money to get better!? 

The players do get paid you know.