cambridgeshire canary

Do we think Tzolis will come good this upcoming season?

We live in hope.

But Wagner doesn't seem to rate him, judging by how often he didn't even make the subs bench.

I don't think so, he just looks no better than a non league player.  Think this is just the wrong country for him.

Good ball by Lungi to get the ball forward before the first goal. Shame Fisher's touch let him down, but gotta like a young right-back trying to get that far up the pitch.

• Like 1

I just can't see him getting the run of games needed, Rowe & Hernandez will get the nod ahead of him, Sainz down the other side.

Only hope is if he plays central, but even then can't see him being preferred over Nunez, Sara, Barnes etc.

Hoping he can produce in this pre-season matches as I think his final ball is a class above most, but he's got to show that his more relaxed style is suitable for Wagner's tactics. 

It's hard as I really rate his potential, but at the same time I want us to be active in the press and not sure the two can co-exist.

Hope yes, think no. There's a player in there. Weirdly I think his ceiling is the highest out of all our recent signings. However I think the move to Norwich has been awful for his development and he might not push on until he leaves. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Hope yes, think no. There's a player in there. Weirdly I think his ceiling is the highest out of all our recent signings. However I think the move to Norwich has been awful for his development and he might not push on until he leaves. 

Never forget Farke said he thought he had the potential to become world class

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I just can't see him getting the run of games needed, Rowe & Hernandez will get the nod ahead of him, Sainz down the other side.

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Of the three he has the greatest ability given the chance. The question is whether he will be given the chance.

100% backing Tzolis to come good this season. He's put the effort in pre-season and looks quick and sharp. He just needs clear instructions, some confidence and a bit of luck to kick start.

14 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Only hope is if he plays central, but even then can't see him being preferred over Nunez, Sara, Barnes etc.

Hoping he can produce in this pre-season matches as I think his final ball is a class above most, but he's got to show that his more relaxed style is suitable for Wagner's tactics. 

It's hard as I really rate his potential, but at the same time I want us to be active in the press and not sure the two can co-exist.

9 subs this season and a squad needed over 46 games. He'll get plenty of minutes over the season for sure.

• Like 1

Yes, fitness to me seemed an issue, get up to speed in this country and you can see he has something about him. Probably the sort of player that needs lots of managerial encouragement, with that will come confidence. If I was asked who, between him and Idah will have a breakthrough season I think Tzolis will. 

5 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Yes, fitness to me seemed an issue, get up to speed in this country and you can see he has something about him. Probably the sort of player that needs lots of managerial encouragement, with that will come confidence. If I was asked who, between him and Idah will have a breakthrough season I think Tzolis will. 

Me too. Idah will come good next season, or the one after or .......

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Me too. Idah will come good next season, or the one after or .......

😆 know what you are saying, just don’t think Tzolis has ever been given the boost of a run in the team and that’s probably based on fitness, he just never looked in good shape. Get him fit and imo there is a real player there. Idah on the other hand is just an offside flag waiting to be raised.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

Hope yes, think no. There's a player in there. Weirdly I think his ceiling is the highest out of all our recent signings. However I think Dean Smith  has been awful for his development and he might not push on until he leaves. 

Corrected 

• Like 2

We can't judge Tzolis on a friendly at Barnet. Who knows what effort he's putting into training either.

I'm hoping this season we gently park Onel and bring on the likes of Rowe, Tzolis, Sainz and Springett.

Not forgetting Placheta and possibly Mumba as well. One maybe two of them will be out on loan from our batch of rather ordinary wingers.

You have to hope Wagner gives him a chance as it did sound like he made quite an effort to get Tzolis released from his loan last season to bring him back.

Here's hoping

It's hard to say but he must have been a bit special in Greece to be so highly rated , love to see him have a run in the side !

10 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

It's hard to say but he must have been a bit special in Greece to be so highly rated , love to see him have a run in the side !

Coming to Norwich was a disastrous move for Tzolis from the point of view of his young career. Obviously none of us know what happened at CR, but from the outside it looks like we handled him very badly as a 19-year-old coming to a new country, and it seems totally understandable that he ended up comfort eating and becoming porky when he had a manager (Smith) who decided from very early on that he wasn't even good enough to be considered for a Championship squad. It speaks volumes that as soon as Smith was out of the door, the club moved quickly to get Tzolis back in. Wagner seems to be willing to work with him, give him a chance, and try to develop him as a player, and at least Tzolis is starting to look much fitter. Let's hope that starts to feed into good performances.

Who knows if he really is a bit special or just a kid who got massively overrated, but surely it's worth the effort of finding out?

• Like 1

really is 50/50 

i think Tzolis is either going to start through middle and we find a unearthed gem of a striker

or play out wide and be no better than we have seen ,

Something has to change for him  to come good 

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

Coming to Norwich was a disastrous move for Tzolis from the point of view of his young career. Obviously none of us know what happened at CR, but from the outside it looks like we handled him very badly as a 19-year-old coming to a new country, and it seems totally understandable that he ended up comfort eating and becoming porky when he had a manager (Smith) who decided from very early on that he wasn't even good enough to be considered for a Championship squad. It speaks volumes that as soon as Smith was out of the door, the club moved quickly to get Tzolis back in. Wagner seems to be willing to work with him, give him a chance, and try to develop him as a player, and at least Tzolis is starting to look much fitter. Let's hope that starts to feed into good performances.

Who knows if he really is a bit special or just a kid who got massively overrated, but surely it's worth the effort of finding out?

Too right it is , can't have done his confidence a lot of good not getting in side ahead of marquinos, but give him a run in the side and let's see what he's all about !

Seems to me we’ve had so many players around the first team for years now and still have no clue if they are good enough!

Sorensen, Idah, Tzolis, Sargent, Rowe, Springett, McCallum all spring to mind…. Sainz and Tomkinson, even Mumba are unknown.   They need games in their preferred positions….. they need a manager good enough to play them, to inspire them, give them good instruction to do the job required in the philosophy and to improve them.   After all, that’s what’s required if we continue to sign young talent.   Consequently it makes sense to have the experience around to help them of course. 

A courageous and highly technical manager is crucial to this.   So far Wagner has struggled to affect the players positively.    Hope he can win everyone over.   

There is a player in there somewhere and if anyone is going to get him fit in pre-season by all accounts it is Wagner.  It will all come down to a young player (and the management team) getting his head right and him getting a chance.  It is the mental side that will be make or break for him I suspect.  He seems very young for his age to me if that makes sense, very much a confidence player.

Like many others I'd like to see him play more centrally but it would be a pleasant surprise to me if he makes it with us based on what we've seen so far.

To make the team a player must first show something in training to warrant inclusion. If Tzolis (or any other player, come to that) does this then he will play. Simple as that.

Edited by Conrad

It isn’t as simple as that. Marquinhos was often picked over him due to loan clauses, for example. Same reason Gilmour kept getting selected despite being lightweight and making us worse not better