Sign in to follow this  
pinkun_admin

Messageboard access - Pinkun site subscription

Good morning

From later today (Weds May 3) the Pinkun web site will start to prompt users to register and subscribe for access to content. 

This is the next phase in the strategy that commenced with the launch of the Pinkun+ app in December 2021.

Access and use of this messageboard will remain as it is now, irrespective of whether you are a subscriber to the web site or the app.

More details right here: https://twitter.com/pinkun/status/1653640536845058049?s=20

Thank you

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Could someone translate this into English for me please? 

Not me I’m afraid. Awaiting further clarification…🧐

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Could someone translate this into English for me please? 

Articles = pay to read. Messageboard = free to use. 

This post makes absolutely no sense. Intentionally misleading, to drive up users presumably.  

Edited by Kingston Yellow

Does anyone know if they’ve stopped splitting up whole articles into separate stories effectively repeating the same thing?? If so then I might be tempted to take out a subscription 

TLDR- In order to read the Pink Un you will have to pay. While there have been articles that have been free to use the whole site will now charge you to view.

This messageboard will remain free to use however.

I herby predict the Pink'Un to shut down a year or two from now as a result as the fact they are now charging to raise money in the first place is not a good sign for how the site is doing.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

TLDR- In order to read the Pink Un you will have to pay. While there have been articles that have been free to use the whole site will now charge you to view.

This messageboard will remain free to use however.

I herby predict the Pink'Un to shut down a year or two from now as a result as the fact they are now charging to raise money in the first place is not a good sign for how the site is doing.

I think you're right. We're living on borrowed time. I've posted a suggestion on a separate thread. 

CC we're all thinking of you at this difficult time 

Presumably means you can't link in news items to the message board, well you could but it will be subscribers only who'll be able to read them.

I think and hope you guys are overreacting.

You can’t charge for a message board, you just can’t. There’s too many free options for discussion groups - Reddit, discord, Facebook etc.

The only thing unique and appealing about this place is the posters, most of whom would surely leave if it was paywalled.

Plus they probably hope to convert a fair few poster’s to subscribers, you might force a few to subscribe but more likely you’ll destroy the community and put a lot of people off subscribing, probably permanently.

I doubt they’ll stop the free YouTube videos or podcasts and I see no reason you’d treat this place differently to that other free content.

Just my opinion, but it’s a monumentally stupid idea if it happens.

• Like 2

Overreaction? On the Pinkun forum? 😏

The site is just following the same business model plan as all other NewsQuest sites. Fortunately they’ve realised they can’t charge for what is essentially user generated content so nothing to worry about with regards to this message board. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone else noticed the last line of this one......looks like a good deal to me.........🙄

Proof reading needed methinks.

image.thumb.png.26a6edc69c4ee1f1ef3e32c31f9c2a22.png

image.png

• Haha 8

I don't think i would miss the ' big name journalists ' or for that matter ' hard hitting opinion ' should the messageboard disappear.

11 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Has anyone else noticed the last line of this one......looks like a good deal to me.........🙄

image.png

I blame Stu setting the 90% precident and now everybody wants to give less for more. 😁

It's just take, take, take these days.

Apples

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, PeteRaven said:

Overreaction? On the Pinkun forum? 😏

The site is just following the same business model plan as all other NewsQuest sites. Fortunately they’ve realised they can’t charge for what is essentially user generated content so nothing to worry about with regards to this message board. 

For now, while Archant is still solvent. I still think a contingency plan is wise, because it's only a matter of time before the plug gets pulled on it. Unless you know different, Pete?

14 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I still think a contingency plan is wise, because it's only a matter of time before the plug gets pulled on it.

(imo) I think the only way this gets pulled is if newsquest or the pinkun brand goes **** up.   

It'd never be cut as a cost saving measure as it brings eyes to the brand and keeps them relevant/high on the search results.  And for what they get back, it's basically a freebie as the infrastructure for hosting, database and bandwidth as will be part of their entire panel.

If they were having to pay for regular maintenance or moderation then it would be different.  But it doesn't appear to be the case.

If anyone's concerned about the pinkun going **** up and cherish this board, then pay couple of quid a month to support them.  That's one contingency plan already presented.

I pay for the athletic which has much better content and is cheaper as well.

they are going to kill the edp with this model I am afraid 

• Like 2

Oh dear, the beginning of the end for the Pinkun. The quality of the coverage is already pale by comparison of other journalists. The only thing they have as an asset now is the message board and that's mostly inaccessible these days. That error message which comes up is a server cache issue which is easily fixable. The subscription model used on the Pinkun website isn't exactly secure either.

35 minutes ago, Bert said:

they are going to kill the edp with this model I am afraid

Athletic are quite different to the EDP/NewsQuest in fairness.  Pinkun is just one element that covers a local team, and don't forget that Bailey was a product of that system.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

image.png

10 months for the price of 12 ! Bargain !

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I think and hope you guys are overreacting.

You can’t charge for a message board, you just can’t. There’s too many free options for discussion groups - Reddit, discord, Facebook etc.

The only thing unique and appealing about this place is the posters, most of whom would surely leave if it was paywalled.

Plus they probably hope to convert a fair few poster’s to subscribers, you might force a few to subscribe but more likely you’ll destroy the community and put a lot of people off subscribing, probably permanently.

I doubt they’ll stop the free YouTube videos or podcasts and I see no reason you’d treat this place differently to that other free content.

Just my opinion, but it’s a monumentally stupid idea if it happens.

Oh dear, we could be in trouble... 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

10 months for the price of 12 ! Bargain !

I can see Ethics buying a thousand  subscriptions.... it would give him ammo for years of whining. 

31 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Oh dear, the beginning of the end for the Pinkun. The quality of the coverage is already pale by comparison of other journalists. The only thing they have as an asset now is the message board and that's mostly inaccessible these days. That error message which comes up is a server cache issue which is easily fixable. The subscription model used on the Pinkun website isn't exactly secure either.

Talking of which, I tried following the above instructions with respect to  the ‘My Account’ part of the Pinkun+ app.

Two observations :-

There’s no ‘Link my [Apple/Google] subscription’ button.

The ‘Manage Subscription’ returns a 404 error within the app.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3