Soldier on

Sounds like Dowell will be leaving

55 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Honestly, some of the opinions on here. I’m flabbergasted.

We won’t sign anyone as good as Dowell for under 5 million, so losing him on a free is terrible. 

It’s no coincidence our form nosedived when he got injured. Not many players have that much of an impact at Champs level. 

Well said.

The only convincing reason for letting Dowell go is his injury record. He is an excellent player at this level and Wagner seemed to be improving his major weakness, the defensive side of his game. We'll do well to get anyone better.

• Like 3

I've never really seen the excellent player that some on here apparently have. I'm not quite sure why we signed him in the first place as he didn't seem to have a place in Farke's system. OK going forward, non-existent defensively and went out of games for long periods even when he had a decent 20 minutes or so.

Wagner did seem to get more out of him though and he clearly has talent - but then, so does Cantwell and he didn't fit either. I agree that losing him on a free is appallingly bad management. I don't really understand why we allow so many contracts to run down unless there has been a decision to let the player go. If we do want them to stay and they won't sign an extension we should get rid of them when they have a year left. We should have sold Pukki, Cantwell and Dowell last summer. We must sell Aarons this summer.

As long as he doesn't end up at Ipswich. That's a very good free transfer for someone.

Edited by Capt. Pants

I like Dowell a lot as a player, but as a club we need to stop being too sentimental over players.

He’s great when on form, but due to injury and changes to play style that’s rarely happened the last two seasons.

The squad needs a refresh and some players need to move on.

If he stays that’s great, hopefully means we have a plan for him, but he has in no way proven it’s essential he does IMO.

2 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Come on Petty, you’re usually so pragmatic in your responses than to overload on negativity. We don’t know who might yet come in. I like Dowell but he’s not been consistent has he? We need a player that won’t be on the sidelines when we truly need him. 

I don't think I'm being overly negative. I just think that the pinnacle of supporting Norwich for 30 years was when Pukki, Buendia, Cantwell and Dowell were our first choice attacking 4. The last of those players leaving represents the end of that era. In each of those positions we're now significantly weaker. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Top corner said:

We'll obviously have player's leaving on a free transfer, but I can see Sara, Sargent, Tzolis & definitely Aarons all leaving this summer, plus add on the money from Rashica  & whatever we get from Leicester selling Maddison. It's gives us a decent transfer pot. 

In that case, let's pray that Webber is not sill here to p*ss it up the wall for a third season running.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

I don't think I'm being overly negative. I just think that the pinnacle of supporting Norwich for 30 years was when Pukki, Buendia, Cantwell and Dowell were our first choice attacking 4. The last of those players leaving represents the end of that era. In each of those positions we're now significantly weaker. 

Nah. Holt, Hoolahan and 9 others surviving comfortably in the EPL for two seasons was the pinnacle since Munich.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Why on earth would Sara leave us so soon, he's hardly found his feet in the country, after all?

Additionally, he'll need to show a bit more for the bigger fish to get interested and for his services to invite a big enough fee. Hardly the buy young and sell at a profit mantra that we are told is the club's policy.

Perhaps after another season at Carrow Road he will start to invite such interest, as the indications are there.

Why would Sara leave 12th place Championship side Norwich City for Champions Lge qualified Atletico Madrid.

Tough one.

14 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

If Pukki's going, it makes sense that Dowell goes as Pukki's fondness for a through-ball was met by Dowell's fondness for hitting them. Dowell wasn't bad at shooting from distance either so we'd lose a threat there, but Sara seems to have a similar propensity to score from the edge of the box. McCallum seems to like lining them up and ripping it from 20-25 yards as well, just not as effectively.

Think Gibbs or Nunez (and possibly even Tzolis) at 10 makes more sense and I suspect we're going to double-down on wingers with Rowe and Placheta back along with Hernandez extending his stay. Brings us back to the need for an athletic defensive midfielder as whilst Hayden was a very good idea on paper, the idea ended up on the physio's bench much more than we'd hoped and he basically ended up like Timm Klose in his last games with us.

Dowell going should set Nunez or Gibbs up nicely.

If Placheta ever sets foot on the pitch in a Norwich shirt again then they should definitely just give up and fold as a club!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Top corner said:

We'll obviously have player's leaving on a free transfer, but I can see Sara, Sargent, Tzolis & definitely Aarons all leaving this summer, plus add on the money from Rashica  & whatever we get from Leicester selling Maddison. It's gives us a decent transfer pot. 

There’s still some very chunky wages there which combined with Championship revenue, means there won’t be such a big a pot as you think, certainly not on the wages side of things anyway.

The likes of Gibson are still here bringing in £30+k a week with nobody to shift them to without still being on the hook for most of that wage.

Tzolis would barely fetch a couple of mill if we’re lucky at this point so Aarons probs the only “asset” that will sell for much. Can’t see anyone plumping big money down for Sargent or Sara yet.

To me from the outside looking in, it looks very much like Costa Del Carrow Road is back where the players seem to have it relatively easy and so don’t push out that extra 10% required to make a difference. The pressure just isn’t on them like it would be elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Top corner said:

If Watford can get £30 million for Joao Pedro ( who is apparently joining Brighton in the summer) who has only scored 11 goals this season, I’m sure we can get a decent fee for Sara. I’d obviously prefer it if he stayed, but I can personally see him leaving. 

Joao Pedro is absolutely streets ahead of Sara and younger.

8 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

As long as he doesn't end up at Ipswich. That's a very good free transfer for someone.

He won't, he's off to Rangers because Todd is off to Ipswich (as they couldn't get Maddison) 

6 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Why would Sara leave 12th place Championship side Norwich City for Champions Lge qualified Atletico Madrid.

Tough one.

Well he's contracted to that 12th. placed Championship side, after all.

Have Athletico shown any interest in him, have you a source? If so, are they prepared to meet our valuation based upon the fee we reportedly paid for him under one year ago?

As I said, he'll need to show a bit more for the big fish to show interest. He's still a bit raw and mistake-prone.

If he continues his current trajectory, he'll likely get such a move, but he'll probably excite more interest, and we'll get a bigger fee after a further season of development at Carrow Road.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Screenshot_20230429-230948~2.png

What a sad state of affairs that all our better talent can’t wait to jump ship.

Really disappointed with this, but can’t say I’m surprised of blame him. Injuries have impacted his career, and possibly always will. But he’s put in some great performances in yellow and scored some fabulous goals. A very underrated and under valued player.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

He'll do well at Rangers, if he gets onto the pitch or manages to stay injury-free.

Skilful player with good vision. Inconsistent and a lot of injuries. Seemed to be getting more game time and playing well under DW. Is it good or bad he is leaving.....time will tell.

It's starting to seem as if Hernandez is the only person, both on and off the pitch, who wants to remain at Carrow Road. Something is deeply wrong.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

At the final whistle last night, I looked at the XI on the pitch and thought who would I bust a gut to keep. And the answer was none of them. Dowell however I would try to keep, injury free he is decent at this level

16 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Well said.

The only convincing reason for letting Dowell go is his injury record. He is an excellent player at this level and Wagner seemed to be improving his major weakness, the defensive side of his game. We'll do well to get anyone better.

Dowell leaving doesn't mean we necessarily want him to go, could well just have had enough. Club is toxic, and going backwards, and a free agent is in a strong negotiation position so will probably be looking at a healthy signing on fee.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Apparently, Rangers are in talks with his agent.

Why does Michael Beale have such a linking for Norwich players?

First it was Cantwell, now they're interested in Gunn and Dowell, next it'll be Hanley and i can see McLean return to Rangers to end his career.

Ironically, they would cut off all four limbs in order to snare "Norwich reject" Billy Gilmour. (Who controlled the midfield today).

Gilmour just wasn't ready for that level of football last season.

He had so little experience of senior football and we expected him to run things in the Premier League. Was utter madness.

No joined up thinking at all at this club. Look at Trybull being packed off when he would have played more football than Normann had he been kept on. 

Unfortunately Dowell had offers elsewhere which we weren't prepared to match.

It doesn't bode well for a summer of recruitment.

12 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Nah. Holt, Hoolahan and 9 others surviving comfortably in the EPL for two seasons was the pinnacle since Munich.

I’m not really sure how people keep forgetting this.

Pukki and Buendia are two of the best players I’ve ever seen play for Norwich, probably the best two.

However Lamberts team achieved far greater heights than Farkes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Joao Pedro is absolutely streets ahead of Sara and younger.

Sara has scored 7 goals from midfield, Pedro has scored 11 goals as a striker. You thinking Pedro  being streets ahead of Sara?....We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. 

Edited by Top corner

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Oh. Talking of the Old Firm.

They're playing at 1:30pm today, semi final of the Scottish club.

Another chance to see Todd Cantwell. If you're curious as to how he's getting on.

He'll most probably be outshone by Callum McGregor.

He didn't want to play for us best part of several seasons. He's gone. For me I have no interest to see how he gets on!

14 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I don't think Norwich fans knew what kind of a player he was before he jojned.

Of course they did. 

Was just a disaster because we were left without a ball winner in midfield for most of the season. No Kante at Norwich sitting behind him.

• Like 1

His stats when played in the correct position are pretty good I think. He delivers goals and assists. Not been handled well by various coaches although he is injury prone. I feel most of our best results snd performances have been with him playing so this is a loss.

Another mishandled contract negotiation by our inept sporting director if he walks away for free in my view.