Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

He was our first choice forward. We put in bid for him but it was not enough, now with the  Omobamidele money we can offer more= some one enjoyed him. His money can only go up 😉

1 minute ago, mastoola said:

how on earth have we had batth lined up for when we sold omo.  surely we must have identified a serious young talent    im stunned

This is the biggest surprise for me too.. with the 30-35 million generated in sales, plus wage savings, the pool of players to consider as a replacement should have been substantial. Why we had to leave it until Omo was sold is a mystery as an additional CB would have been a good idea anyway and how haven’t we identified a replacement that has resale value (as we are told this is a major criteria in our dealings due to our ‘model’) as well as experience and ability. At best Batth can only tick two of those boxes.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

On the basis of what you have said though, it's still £21 million off the wage bill + £5 million + presumably add ons.

If he's not someone the manager "fancies" + no one else wants, why not take the £30( million?

I completely agree with you. Chelsea need to balance the books for FFP and it's money off the wage bill.

But I still maintain that £3m for Callum Hudson-Odoi in the current market where players of similar age, ability and experience are going for five, or even ten, times that amount, it seems a bargain.

EDIT: Other sources are reporting it as £5m or even £8m. I'm guessing it could reach £8m with clauses, but it's still cheap.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

23 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'm going to assume we'll get Hwang and Batth. We were told we were going for a rebuild. I think we've had that. 

Duffy and Stacey have been the highlights for me. Experienced, talented players with the exact work ethic and strong personalities it's clear we lacked last season. Fassnacht as well looks like a really smart bit of business that I think will continue to bear fruit as he grows more accustomed to the club and the Championship. 

Fisher has exceeded expectations. I do worry that Stacey will get injured and leave us short, but that shouldn't be held against a lad who has shown real potential in his short time here so far.

Barnes as well has been a revelation. Again, as a leader on and off the field he's been fantastic - and all credit, I thought he was a poor signing when announced. Definitely proving me wrong.

Sainz as well seems an exciting prospect. His injury has probably led to Rowe being given the chances to show his ability - so I guess that poor stroke of luck has had a silver lining. We've gone from looking weak on the flanks last season to potentially looking really well stocked with Rowe, Sainz, Fassnacht, Springett and Onel. 

George Long seems a reasonable acquisition as a back up keeper. Forshaw seems a gamble on his fitness, but if we keep him fit he'll be a gem, I'm sure. 

Beyond that - I think today has been a bit of a disaster. Batth seems to be well regarding in Sunderland. I worry we've signed a player who is very much on the decline and off the back of an unpleasant injury. I also think as a club that tries to make it's money from player trading, losing Omobamodiele for a 33 year old player is questionable. But I have been reassured by the reaction of Sunderland fans who are angry it seems at the prospect of his sale. A player like Axel Tuanzebe remains available on a free - and I suspect would have proved a better investment that could have also become a saleable asset if he has a good season. 

I also have to accept Hwang is a short term measure to replace Sargent and would not likely be here but for that injury. But we can't ignore his performance last season out on loan which on statistics alone seems utterly uninspiring. I'd have rather we went down the route of a more experienced Championship operator, although I expect there would likely have been few such players available and a lot of interested parties in those few candidates. I am open minded as to how Hwang will do. Hopefully Idah will continue the rich run of form and it will not be an issue. 

What worries me most is this does appear another season we have really sold the family silver and done little to replenish it. The much lauded South America strategy has been entirely ignored this season. It leaves Sara and Gunn as maybe the only truly saleable assets we have, with Sargent maybe another depending on if he continues the good form he's started in. I really hope we see Rowe continue on the trajectory he's started, and is maybe joined by one or more of Sainz, Gibbs or Idah, because all of a sudden we've gone from a side where the youth are really given their chance to a side packed with more experienced, hardened heads, which will not help develop players as assets or as players.   

Axel Tuanzebe has gone on trial to Ipswich.

8 minutes ago, mastoola said:

how on earth have we had batth lined up for when we sold omo.  surely we must have identified a serious young talent    im stunned

We have two seriously talented centre backs in Warner and Tomkinson. We have wisely sent them out on loan to get first team football. Bringing in a  player to help get us through this season who last season won POTS at his club looks like a very good move to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

This is the biggest surprise for me too.. with the 30-35 million generated in sales, plus wage savings, the pool of players to consider as a replacement should have been substantial. Why we had to leave it until Omo was sold is a mystery as an additional CB would have been a good idea anyway and how haven’t we identified a replacement that has resale value (as we are told this is a major criteria in our dealings due to our ‘model’) as well as experience and ability. At best Batth can only tick two of those boxes.

You will haveto stop these sensible posts. You will upset those who think today has been a success.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

We have two seriously talented centre backs in Warner and Tomkinson. We have wisely sent them out on loan to get first team football. Bringing in a  player to help get us through this season who last season won POTS at his club looks like a very good move to me.

Warner is the real deal 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You really are outing yourself to be a binner tonight

Nope not at all , I say what I think unlike you who just posts for attention. Crap  signings and millions made that we cannot spend because we have ****ty old owners who cannot afford to run the club . And I very much doubt I am the only one on here who pops over to twtd for a read.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, City 101 said:

Nope not at all , I say what I think unlike you who just posts for attention. Crap  signings and millions made that we cannot spend because we have ****ty old owners who cannot afford to run the club . And I very much doubt I am the only one on here who pops over to twtd for a read.

Yep. What do Wagner and Webber know. Look at the awful start to the season. These past few weeks must have been hell for you and your sort. And they are only going to get worse 🤣🤣

Edited by RobJames
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Going to Bradford isn't he?

so not the talent to play for us right now?

15 minutes ago, horsefly said:

People seem to forget we also signed another young Irish centre back this summer...

Weird. Everyone was expecting Aarons, Rashica and Omo to go this summer. We then went through a patch of denial where people were accusing Webber of BS-ing us with Omo's value...

A transfer window is not a success or failure until we can reflect on the dealings on the pitch.

Can we please just all chill, have a cuppa and look forward to todays game? Time to end the silly stuff of trying to find offense at really rather foolish things.

• Thanks 2

Anyone expecting us to spend much of the money we have received this window hasn’t been paying attention to the club’s financial position.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Anyone expecting us to spend much of the money we have received this window hasn’t been paying attention to the club’s financial position.

I see your point.. but the word ‘much’ is open to quite a bit of interpretation. How long can a club avoid regression when they only spend 4.6% of the income generated on player sales with replacements? (The less than 5% figure comes from the quoted fees on pinkun transfer page and I don’t vouch for their complete accuracy).  

Edited by Son Ova Gunn

So far it should feel like like a good window because of Duffy, Stacey,Fassnacht and Barnes with last years signings starting to click, but it just doesn't.