Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Just now, mrD66M said:

Hwang is... interesting (in terms of how he would fit with Wagner's style of play) but he's been poor for Wolves for a good while. Loan, I gather?

Wrong player

10 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

It was always going to be late. I'm quite relaxed about it.

Webber taking ‘barrel scraping’ to a whole new level.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Christ.

Selling a 21 year old talent to replace him with a 32 year old journey man is a concern.

Their player of the season last year. And if we get promotion we would obviously be looking elsewhere to upgrade.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mrD66M said:

Hwang is... interesting (in terms of how he would fit with Wagner's style of play) but he's been poor for Wolves for a good while. Loan, I gather?

Wrong Hwang?

Wrong Hwang dude

Wrong Hwang, our Hwang is a forest Hwang 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

The way Danny Batth spells his surname has always irritated me, simply no need for the extra 't'

It's an Asian surname.

9 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Werent we supposed to have signed a centre back from Brazil a while back???

A left back in jan, pending work permit... nothing further heard

And a cb and am mentioned by paddy in June, again all quiet...

It does seem like a bit of a stop gap, but he won the player of the year award last season, where Sunderland reached the playoffs.

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Reyes is nowhere near the first team. Ditto Manning and quite probably Lima also so I might suggest that you are clutching at the proverbial straw unless Webber pulls some serious rabbits out of his hat in less than 40 minutes now!

I think people would be surprised (or maybe not!) about how little Webber has done this summer. The first team recruitment has very much been headed up by Wagner hence we've seen a lot of experienced players who he knows of so to speak. The youth recruitment have been allowed to do their own thing too and you can see the players they've brought in from around the world. The odd one out is Sainz but I suspect we may have been eyeing that up for a while if we knew about him being available on a free if his club were relegated.

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

So underwhelmed by Danny Batth. Never impressed me - if he was our first choice replacement then our recruitment team needs tbe axe 

Never impressed you, but impressed the Sunderland fans who have actually watched him play  and made him their player of the season last year.

• Like 2

Batth's clearly brought in for depth as another battle-hardened player at this level. To be fair, having them in defence is something I can live with - it just bites a bit considering we brought through several promising young ones before - Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey, Omobamidele were all essentially our young defenders.

Wait, isn't Omo with Todd Cantwell's agents? 

We have made a fortune in sales in recent years. Yet we are shopping in the absolute dregs of the bargain basement, it’s wonderful how good a start we have made, but it’s more luck than judgement. Where is the ambition? 

• Like 2

I don’t know about Batth but if it is him he the the replacement for our third choice centreback. And we can look again in January (for which this window is probably providing some cash), depending on whether Hanley is back and fit or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Never impressed you, but impressed the Sunderland fans who have actually watched him play  and made him their player of the season last year.

He’s 33 in two weeks time - hardly a great replacement for Big Andy 

So many people moaned about Barnes and he's been a revelation for us.  There's nothing wrong in having an experienced backline when you've got a young attacking flair to your team to balance it up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Batth's clearly brought in for depth as another battle-hardened player at this level. To be fair, having them in defence is something I can live with - it just bites a bit considering we brought through several promising young ones before - Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey, Omobamidele were all essentially our young defenders.

Wait, isn't Omo with Todd Cantwell's agents? 

I suppose this is the bigger long term issue. Sure, having Hanley, Duffy and Batth is a good selection for experience for a season or two but..

I mean their combined ages are 94!

Let's hope we have some good youth academy players lined up to step up in the future

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Lee Croft was our player of the season once, didn't mean he was great.

• Haha 3

Batth hasn't got off the bench this season. Hopefully won't be needed to get off ours either.

We needed decent pressure or an upgrade on Gibson, ideally a left-footer.

Squad is worse than it was this morning. At least the accounts are better.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Hwang Rowe, could be a great combination as long as you're not travelling at speed on a bike, of course.

A song to be made to swing low? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Hmm. Sunderland fans are unhappy he's leaving. Which is usually a good sign. One of them says he's there player of last season. 

Can't say I'm impressed. 

6 minutes ago, Top corner said:

It does seem like a bit of a stop gap, but he won the player of the year award last season, where Sunderland reached the playoffs.

He was a regular in a team which reached the Play Offs. Perhaps not the best age but a decent signing.

Can understand the disappointment of having to sell big Andy but that's the reality of not being able to stay in the PL when we get there  and then not bouncing straight back.

Edited by Gordon Bennett