Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'll admit I had to read his name twice..

He usually tends to be called Adi, to be fair!

I suspect we are after a CDM, it's just we have to wait until we can get funds from player sales, which is all very quiet atm

Seeing mention of Mick Macguire reminded me of a few YouTube videos i came across of some of our top-flight games from the late '70s early '80s featuring MM. He seemed a quality player. Box to box, CDM, good passer, in the thick of action all over the pitch. A bit like Aaron Mooy of a year or two back.

Any posters who saw him play care to share their memories / impressions of the player. What sort of level would you consider him? I know it's difficult to compare players of  different generations, but he seems to be someone that doesn't get mentioned a lot. How would he have compared to say Colin Suggett, a midfielder who seemed to have been highly thought of and more frequently talked about?

Edited by makham

Just now, makham said:

Seeing mention of Mick Macguire reminded me of a few YouTube videos i came across of some of our top-flight games from the late '70s early '80s featuring MM. He seemed a quality player. Box to box, CDM, good passer, in the thick of action all over the pitch. A bit like Aaron Mooy of a year or two back. Any posters who saw him play care to share their memories / impressions of the player. What sort of level would you consider him? I know it's difficult to compare players of  different generations, but he seems to be someone that doesn't get mentioned a lot. How would he have compared to say Colin Suggett, a midfielder who seemed to have been highly thought of and more frequently talked about?

Think a fair point is that if you somehow magicaly arranged a match between the best footballers of the 70's and the best footballers of today the footballers of the 70's would be torn apart. Not only is the game vastly faster and more high tempo but the difference in fitness is honestly insane. Love watching me some classic football highlights but one thing that sticks out is that nowadays most footballers are all pro athletes on hardcore diets who are down the gym for hours every other day and have their very own fitness and diet instructors. Then you go and watch some football documentary from the 60's and 70's and half the players in the team are either stick thin beanpoles or fat pudgy guys with beer bellies who once the game is over are straight down the local pub downing pints smoking entire packs and scoffing down pies

44 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not sure I agree he’s not good enough. He’s never had a sustained run as he’s constantly been shifted to cover other positions. He’s had a few very effective games in that role. 

If 3 managers have failed to pick him to play in CM (despite our glaring deficiencies in that area), then he clearly isn't good enough. 

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Think a fair point is that if you somehow magicaly arranged a match between the best footballers of the 70's and the best footballers of today the footballers of the 70's would be torn apart. Not only is the game vastly faster and more high tempo but the difference in fitness is honestly insane. Love watching me some classic football highlights but one thing that sticks out is that nowadays most footballers are all pro athletes on hardcore diets who are down the gym for hours every other day and have their very own fitness and diet instructors. Then you go and watch some football documentary from the 60's and 70's and half the players in the team are either stick thin beanpoles or fat pudgy guys with beer bellies who once the game is over are straight down the local pub downing pints smoking entire packs and scoffing down pies

Think it would largely depend on the rules that the game was played under. If the game was played under the rules as they were in the 70s then today's players would be kicked off the park or refuse to play in case they were. They may learn to adapt, but would they be given the time. 

It would suit Norwich players though as instead of just passing the ball back to Gunn to kick up the field he would be able to pick it up, look around, and then kick it up the field. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Not sure I agree he’s not good enough. He’s never had a sustained run as he’s constantly been shifted to cover other positions. He’s had a few very effective games in that role. 

Farke, Smith and Wagner have all failed to use him in his preferred position so that would indicate he’s probably not good enough or not showing enough in training. I do like Sorensen as he’s obviously versatile enough to fill in at full back and does have the odd effective game in midfield but it’s too few and far between. Good to have around the squad but we seriously need an upgrade.

54 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I suspect we are after a CDM, it's just we have to wait until we can get funds from player sales, which is all very quiet atm

I do really hope so but it is all rather quiet about the most important piece of the jigsaw.
That is not the most productive way to go about your business when you don’t have much money to play around with though. As soon as we sell players, teams will know that and want more for their players. We have to try and sign before we sell, by all means agree the sale behind closed doors but get our deals done first.

5 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I’m honestly disturbed by the fact we’ve not even been tenuously linked with a CDM…

Tbh we haven’t been linked with anyone for a while., though have still signed a number of players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I’m honestly disturbed by the fact we’ve not even been tenuously linked with a CDM…

I'm concerned too, particularly with the nod towards Sorensen coming out the club this week.

However, if we're to look at it logically, would you rather us sought one on the cheap today, or after we've seen money from the confirmed sales of Rashica/Aarons etc.? 

If there was one boat we could push out this season, I'd like it to be in that position personally.  I just hope the club are deliberately playing this card close to their chest.

But as seen, even the top clubs have problems securing a decent CDM.

Edited by Google Bot

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Not because of the lack of links but I genuinely don't think we're going to sign one unless one of our central midfielders leaves, and that's unlikelt.  Realistically McLean and Sara are two of our most undroppable players and I would imagine those will be the base of our midfield. 

Edited by KeiranShikari

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Not because of the lack of links but I genuinely don't think we're going to sign one unless one of our central midfielders leaves, and that's unlikelt.  Realistically McLean and Sara are two of our most undroppable players and I would imagine those will be the base of our midfield. 

But neither of them is a proper DM.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

But neither of them is a proper DM.

True, we don't have a single DM at the club. 

Gut feeling is that the aim will be to try and be more structured and make less mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And that same midfield of Kenny and Sara at the base failed to fire last season 

Not really true. They were probably 2 of our 3 best players after Wagner took over (Dowell being the other). The partnership was very much a work in progress but there were good signs there.

Sorensen is probably the one I'd ship out if doing so meant signing a real DM.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And that same midfield of Kenny and Sara at the base failed to fire last season 

Rubbish. We had one of our best runs of the season with Kenny and Sara alternating at dropping deep.  To say otherwise is just wrong.

• Like 7

Here was I hoping that having picked up a few freebies and filled gaps in the squad elsewhere, we'd then prioritise a defensive midfielder. Perhaps we still are, but I feel distinctly uneasy about going into the season without one. 

It seems strange a DM was our first signing last season (Hayden), now suddenly we don't need one. Our midfield was largely powderpuff last season.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It seems strange a DM was our first signing last season (Hayden), now suddenly we don't need one.

Great point in fairness. I keep thinking it’s because we’ll be aiming to defend from the top and the strategic junkies on the forum will be able to point to tactics meaning our full backs can tuck into that position (or something like that) but generally it’s a bit odd we’re yet to be linked to that position and come out saying Sorenson is a key player. 

I'm a little confused, did the club issue an official statement saying that we're happy with the midfield department and Sorenson is all we need?

There hasn't been a multitude of defensive midfielder players moving as yet. We could just pop out and get Tom Trybull on a free as suggested elsewhere?

Is something better than nothing, in whatever form it comes?

10 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I'm a little confused, did the club issue an official statement saying that we're happy with the midfield department and Sorenson is all we need?

There hasn't been a multitude of defensive midfielder players moving as yet. We could just pop out and get Tom Trybull on a free as suggested elsewhere?

Is something better than nothing, in whatever form it comes?

I said it wouldn’t be a bad shout to bring him in but got shot down. So what do I know?! 

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

To quote @lappinitup:

"WE'RE DOOMED!"

8 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

We have 1 good winger if Sainz is good.

We probably have quite a long list of wingers we are interested in and I wonder whether Camacho is one of them. We dont have loads of good options in these positions currently, but people would argue their is a need to strengthen in other areas first.

58 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Screenshot_20230706_153957_Chrome.jpg

Christ, he looks old for 23.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 03/07/2023 at 14:54, cambridgeshire canary said:

Amazing the kind of players your club can buy when you get unlimited oil money funds..

Not just oil... it's the entire country/state... Can you imagine if our government bought a US American football team? Uproar! 

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

We have 1 good winger if Sainz is good.

Rose, Sainz and Hernandez right now. Another wouldn't go amiss as Springett will likely be loaned again and Placheta isn't looking likely to be with us either.