Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

On 15/07/2023 at 13:35, TheGoogler said:

16 assists last season for that entire list of people.

So I ask again - who is going to set up our goals right now?

That is our massive problem. Our creativity in midfield has dropped off a cliff since the likes of Emi, Cantwell etc left. And up front, whilst Barnes is a good addition the others show no signs of becoming more prolific. 

Defensively we will be adequate for this league but offensively I see, so far, no reason to be anything but worried.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

3 minutes ago, Serinus Canaria Domestica said:

Brad Hills to Accrington Stanley. Season loan.

Where are the Brad Hills? Presumably not Norfolk.

8 minutes ago, Serinus Canaria Domestica said:

Brad Hills to Accrington Stanley. Season loan.

Suggests to me that either Tomkinsons injury isn't as bad as or that or we're supremely confident in CB signings.

24 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Suggests to me that either Tomkinsons injury isn't as bad as or that or we're supremely confident in CB signings.

It might be that Omobamidele is now considered less likely to go, so that’s less pressure?  You may be right about Tomkinson - the original prognosis was only an initial guess, we’ve seen players stretchered off and it not be as bad as feared (though it’s often worse!)

5 hours ago, YoussefSafriFromDistance said:

Wonder if there's any chance of getting Lewis-Potter on loan from Brentford he's exactly what we need and has had very little game time

I’m sure he was linked earlier in the window. Would be a decent signing for sure. 

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Or one of our full backs will fill in at centre back

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Unfortunately people with proven assists and goals cost money and we have very little of that. 

Yes, if only there was the odd £30m in parachute payments. Or a player to be sold, two in fact, who might raise around £20m. Then there's that £3m from Maddisons sell on. No money, as you say. Not sure how much out of contract players such as Gino and Lungi might fetch, not to mention Omo.

Otherwise Hills looked competent in the two earlier games, but a loan to a L2 club suggests he is not up to Championship standards just yet. I expect Stacey is up to covering at CB. Mumba and even Fisher could slot into RB. If the right fee cam in for Omo, then he could well leave, with us taking a PL CB until Xmas. When both Tomkinson and Hanley are back.

33 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Or one of our full backs will fill in at centre back

Lungi will fill in (when he is not filling in for a LB/CDM, or any other area we are short in). Seriously though Hills will benefit from a loan and I really can’t see Omo going anywhere atm. 

18 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Lungi will fill in (when he is not filling in for a LB/CDM, or any other area we are short in). Seriously though Hills will benefit from a loan and I really can’t see Omo going anywhere atm. 

Stacy moved there Saturday. With Mumba and Fisher to cover, I wouldn’t be surprised is it was a full back

Glad Hills has gone out on a season long loan as he’ll really benefit from it, and even better that it’s at a League Two club (loads of our players go out on loan to non-league clubs, which I’m not convinced is enough to improve their experience level). I just hope he gets plenty of game time

14 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’d presumably want a fair few £m for him, so not too sure how he’s a ‘cheap’ option, given he needs that development.

Comparatively he would be. We might cut our losses a bit. Say £7m. By premier league standards that is cheap.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Comparatively he would be. We might cut our losses a bit. Say £7m. By premier league standards that is cheap.

Possibly for an established PL side, but not Burnley, who aren’t anything like.  They’d be doing what we did when we got him - spending a lot on a player for ‘development’, and that was the mistake we made.

24 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Possibly for an established PL side, but not Burnley, who aren’t anything like.  They’d be doing what we did when we got him - spending a lot on a player for ‘development’, and that was the mistake we made.

Ssssh, if we don’t say it out loud they won’t know 

17 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Ssssh, if we don’t say it out loud they won’t know 

I do wonder if keeping Tzolis might not be the worst idea - he must have ‘something’ and if we can unlock it this season it would be good for both him and us.  

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I do wonder if keeping Tzolis might not be the worst idea - he must have ‘something’ and if we can unlock it this season it would be good for both him and us.  

He is going to require further patience and good coaching to get the best out of him. Hopefully Pelach is the man to do that.

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I'm not sure he 'must' have anything to be honest.

Football is litered with players who had a good season or two, commanded a solid fee and then fell away. Josh Murphy being a close to home example. 

I hope any decision we make on who to give game time too are based purely on merit- it would be bad for us for example if Tzolis took minutes away from Rowe simply because we paid a significant fee for him. If Tzolis isn't showing it in training or pre season now and a team wants to give us something for him we should cut our losses and not fall into a sunk cost fallacy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Football is litered with players who had a good season or two, commanded a solid fee and then fell away. Josh Murphy being a close to home example. 

I hope any decision we make on who to give game time too are based purely on merit- it would be bad for us for example if Tzolis took minutes away from Rowe simply because we paid a significant fee for him. If Tzolis isn't showing it in training or pre season now and a team wants to give us something for him we should cut our losses and not fall into a sunk cost fallacy.

Jamal Lewis is another example. Thought for a short while he might make it to the top, got a fancy expensive move to Newcaslte and sicne then..

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Jamal Lewis is another example. Thought for a short while he might make it to the top, got a fancy expensive move to Newcaslte and sicne then..

Linked in yesterday's Mail to Watford on loan

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm not quite willing to put Lewis in the same boat as Josh, simply as he may move on from Newcastle, get regular game time again and rediscover form. 

Josh Murphy however has dropped to League One and was even frozen out there towards the end of the season with fans saying he looks like he doesn't care. I'd be shocked if he even bounced back to Championship level at this point.

49 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well, if the likes of Burnley are willing to consider shelling out £7m on him (per that link), it suggests greater football watchers than you and me think he ‘must’ have something.  

5 hours ago, king canary said:

It's true that football is littered with promising young players who don't deliver.

I'm starting to hope for his sake that we sell him. He arrived here as one of the most promising teenagers in Europe and now he looks like he might get a loan at somewhere like Port Vale. Two years of his young career have gone down the drain. It's been a disaster for both parties. Who knows for sure why and how the blame should be apportioned? I am still personally of the opinion that he has a lot of skill but it doesn't seem the kind of skill we want now under Wagner's preferred system. Let him go and rebuild his career somewhere else.

Kamara to Pompey on loan for the season 

That's an excellent move for him I think

They should be up near the top end of league 1 so plenty of chance to show what he can do 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

Kamara to Pompey on loan for the season 

That's an excellent move for him I think

They should be up near the top end of league 1 so plenty of chance to show what he can do 

Portsmouth really do seem like a Championship team in waiting.  Spend half the season in the top seven in leauge one only to seemingly bottle it near the end of the season.

Hopefully Kamara can give them an extra push towards promotion. 

... Sure has been a hell of a long time since Portsmouth were in the top flight and playing in Europe and had players like David James..

With Kamara going out on loan, do we think they are in the market for a striker? Or will just go for the existing 3 of Barnes/Sarg/idah?

Excellent move for kamala, hopefully he can kick on as mumba did, rather than some of the more anonymous loans recently (incl Mumba at posh)

With the confidence in idah at the club I can't see a striker joining outside a possible loanee

I'm surprised Kamara got the Portsmouth gig. On the one hand it's good, on the other it will be interesting to see what game time he gets at a League One club who will be chasing promotion.

I don't think he was ever a consideration here for next season and I can't see us bringing in another striker. Possibly for the U23s or whatever, but not first team.

32 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

With Kamara going out on loan, do we think they are in the market for a striker? Or will just go for the existing 3 of Barnes/Sarg/idah?

Idah, five years. Barnes in. Sargent having scored 13 last season while not at his best and out of position for half of it.