Sign in to follow this  
CrankyCanary

Who would you (personally) sign for the the upcoming season?

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

McBurnie on a free.

I thought about him but I don't think he brings much that Sargent doesn't already bring and is 3 or 4 years older.

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Passion, fight and desire?

I've personally never felt Sargent lacks those things. You can criticise his quality in areas but I've never looked at him as someone who doesn't care. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I've personally never felt Sargent lacks those things. You can criticise his quality in areas but I've never looked at him as someone who doesn't care. 

Fair. 

But I think an Ollie Burnie type is a player fans love, and opposition hate. We need a few of them, far too many passive personalities. 

3 hours ago, repman said:

Didn't Coventry want like £20m in the summer for Gyokeres? Fulham were interested from what I recall but I guess maybe they didn't want to spend that much on a guy to be 2nd choice behind Mitrovic.

They were totally skint with a massive cash flow problem. They practically begged Blackburn to sign Hyam last summer. They’d have bit anyone’s hand off for £5/7m with add ons. I’m surprised we didn’t sniff around after the past Maddison and McCallum dealings. That said Hamer was the ideal player for us. Not quite a Buendia but not far off.  

Ross McCrorie from Aberdeen for DCM/CDM/DM, can also play centre-half and fill the obligatory pub league scapegoat role if Kenny moves on.

Apples

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Yes, agreed. I criticise Sargent all the time on here for his lack of basic footballing skills, but there's no way I would ever question his effort or commitment.

5 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Yes, agreed. I criticise Sargent all the time on here for his lack of basic footballing skills, but there's no way I would ever question his effort or commitment.

He’s been played out of position so much and is young. He was decent when confident and playing up front during Pukki’s injury 

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

He’s been played out of position so much and is young. He was decent when confident and playing up front during Pukki’s injury 

All true, but that lack of basic skill is always going to limit him in my opinion. Plenty good enough for the Championship, though, as long as he is played upfront in a direct side. Just don't expect any tippy-tappy stuff. He can't do it.

4 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

All true, but that lack of basic skill is always going to limit him in my opinion. Plenty good enough for the Championship, though, as long as he is played upfront in a direct side. Just don't expect any tippy-tappy stuff. He can't do it.

We dont need or have tippy tappy players. Sargent puts himself about and is a good target man. He's good in ghe air and likes a shot.

A good signing would be getting Dowell to sign a new contract. I also might be in the minority but I would also offer a one year deal to Bryam on the basis I would look to move on Aarons and Giannoulis. He could cover RB and LB.

We were linked with Charlie Cresswell who would be a good option at Centre Half. The injury to Hanley means we will need a centre back and there is little chance of Gibson or Big Andy leaving.

Midfield is the issue and needs fixing I would look for two defensive midfield players. A wide player and a number ten.

Again it might be unpopular but if we play one striker I prioritise Midfield signing over the attack. Sargent, Idah, Tzolis and Kamara

Sargent needs to be 2nd choice to a better striker we bring in to replace Pukki. That's going to cost money.

I can't think there is anyone in our squad who wouldn't be for sale should be look to use the money to strengthen the overall team.

I'm hoping to see a lot of new faces at the start of next season!

• Like 1

Jamal Lewis.

He'll be cheap - I'd imagine we could get him for a few million because he's no where near that Newcastle squad; we know there's a decent left back in there; and both our current ones are useless.

Not the most pressing position, for sure, but seems a simple enough squad upgrade.

Although I can’t think of any suggestions on who to sign, I can think of positions:

GK: McGovern is going this summer and Krul is 35 and out of contract next summer

RB: Byram is out of contract this summer and I can’t see him being offered a new one, and Aarons will almost certainly be sold as he is out of contract next summer and I can’t see him signing a new one. Mumba will be back and Sorensen can cover, but really we should have two proper RBs

LB: McCallum and Giannoulis are both out of contract next summer and I think the latter will be sold

CB x2: Gibson is out of contract next summer, and him and Hanley are both ageing. We’ve already seen an Omobamidele/Sorensen partnership doesn’t work, and I doubt an Omo/Tomkinson partnership would either. I think Warner and Hills will both be called up from the academy and sent out on loan, and someone being brought in on loan

MF: Although I think we have enough players to cover the midfield positions people are saying this is where we need to strengthen the most - I guess they mean quality not quantity

ST: Pukki is going and past it anyway. It looks like Kamara might possibly warm the bench next season considering he’s already made a few appearances, but we need someone to replace Pukki

13 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

A good signing would be getting Dowell to sign a new contract. I also might be in the minority but I would also offer a one year deal to Bryam on the basis I would look to move on Aarons and Giannoulis. He could cover RB and LB.

We were linked with Charlie Cresswell who would be a good option at Centre Half. The injury to Hanley means we will need a centre back and there is little chance of Gibson or Big Andy leaving.

Midfield is the issue and needs fixing I would look for two defensive midfield players. A wide player and a number ten.

Again it might be unpopular but if we play one striker I prioritise Midfield signing over the attack. Sargent, Idah, Tzolis and Kamara

Charlie Cresswell would be terrific if Leeds loan him out again

Woodman (Preston) 

Ranking-Costello (Blackburn)

Tuanzebe (man UTD/free) 

Mcguinness (Cardiff)

Lewis (Newcastle)

Ogbene (Rotherham)

Campbell (Luton)

Byers (sheff Weds)

Chair (QPR)

Whittaker (Swansea) 

Morris (Luton)

Windass (sheff Weds) 

Leaving: 

Krul

Mcgovern

Aarons 

Tomkinson (loan) 

Giannoulis

Byram

Sara 

Hayden 

Dowell 

Rachica 

Tzolis 

Marquinhos 

Pukki 

Sarge 

Springett (loan) 

Kamara (loan) 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, king canary said:

I thought about him but I don't think he brings much that Sargent doesn't already bring and is 3 or 4 years older.

If he brings a first touch he’s already bringing more than Sargent and Idah….

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

All I can say is that I have a lack of basic skill and I can't score at a ratio of almost one in two when playing up front in the championship, yes, fitness might also play a part. Lack in "basic skill" is also not an issue he has. This chart says it all for me. At worst it is 8 in 19 games.
image.png.0455df8840fb4d04554111614aeba820.png

In contrast, Pukki has only been played out of position twice, once as a second striker and once, apparently, on the right wing (don't remember that one!). 

Everyone on here is talking about Championship signings of players with some proven ability, these will cost fees greatly in excess of what we are able to afford.  suggest a couple from L2 who we might be able to afford.  Paul Smyth from Leyton Orient a winger yes but significantly more talented than anyone on our books.  Carl Piergianni at Stevenage a promising CB with a good scoring record.  L2 not a pool to be tested by Webber/Wagner but a pool we may need to consider.  

Tuanzebe on a free would be a good signing, hopefully Wagner can use his Klopp connection they've got a cracking lad called Ben Doak who I think would be superb in the Championship,  proper superb not Gilmour or Marqinhos superb 😉

9 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Woodman (Preston) 

Ranking-Costello (Blackburn)

Tuanzebe (man UTD/free) 

Mcguinness (Cardiff)

Lewis (Newcastle)

Ogbene (Rotherham)

Campbell (Luton)

Byers (sheff Weds)

Chair (QPR)

Whittaker (Swansea) 

Morris (Luton)

Windass (sheff Weds) 

Leaving: 

Krul

Mcgovern

Aarons 

Tomkinson (loan) 

Giannoulis

Byram

Sara 

Hayden 

Dowell 

Rachica 

Tzolis 

Marquinhos 

Pukki 

Sarge 

Springett (loan) 

Kamara (loan) 

Someone's been playing a bit too much Football Manager

It depends on which system we are intending to play - and that seems far from clear !

I've been a massive fan of Hamer for a couple of seasons now.  Quality player but out of our reach now.

My punt would be Zian Flemming at Millwall.  Athletic ball playing goal scoring attacking midfielder.  They paid less than £2m for him (from Fortuna Sittard as well, which makes you wonder why we didn't notice him ...)

Ryan Manning at Swansea is versatile and decent.  Can play across the back and across midfield.  If Aaron's and Byram both go we will desperately need another right back and for me Mumba should be playing further forward.

I suspect that he'll be beyond our reach but Jack Clarke at Sunderland has impressed me whenever I've seen him.

Can't think of a Centre Back we would both want and could afford.  Same for a striker - I suspect we'll have to look abroad for that.  Must be someone worthwhile and within our budget somewhere though - who is the leading scorer under 28 in the Chilean top flight ... ? 

Don't follow enough of Leagues 1 and 2 to judge but looking at the stats and the ages of the main names, none of them leap out and scream undiscovered genius level talent or even the next Grant Holt or Ricky Lambert.

Does anyone know how Dan Barden has been getting on ?  Do we need to sign another keeper if we let Krul go, or could we actually promote one of our own to second choice ?

Edited by Barham Blitz

Going to be a hugely important summer window. 

big concern is the impact of Brexit on our ability to source players from Germany etc that has fared us well in previous campaigns. That leaves the likes of recruitment domestically and continents like Africa and South America.