Sign in to follow this  
CrankyCanary

Who would you (personally) sign for the the upcoming season?

I asked this question same time last year so I might as well do it again. (No I don't want your fantasy Premier League signings keep it at the very least semi realistic please). Strikers; Centre Halfs; Goalkeepers; New sporting Directors etc...

It’s going to have to be a very carefully managed window.

Personally I think we desperately need some experienced Championship players that can slot in and just do a job, we have far too many players with potential learning their trade.

A few out of contract players would be good for us to look at although it seems slim pickings this year.

I notice Pritchard is out of contract, never go back I suppose, but he’d be decent AM option (with a Wagner, Webber and NCFC connection) if we stopped playing strikers out wide and go back to that narrower three behind a single striker that used to serve us so well.

Should have gone for Hamer and Gyökeres last season, I think £15m would have got the pair. God knows what they’re worth now. They’ll both be playing Premier League football next season at Coventry or else where. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Should have gone for Hamer and Gyökeres last season, I think £15m would have got the pair. God knows what they’re worth now. They’ll both be playing Premier League football next season at Coventry or else where. 

I didn't call Gyokeres, but I called Hamer at the start of our Premier League campaign. My Coventry following cousin thought wed'd go for him as a DM. He'd have been cheaper back then, but like you say, would also have been available in the summer for around the £5 million mark. Wasted opportunity as like you say, he'll be Premier League next year along with Gyokeres.

The latter doesn't annoy me as much because I think most of us thought we were ok at striker in the summer with Pukki set to resume his normal Championship goalscoring and Sargent and Idah capable backup (ok, we were wrong, but still). However, Hamer would have filled a GAPING hole in the squad.

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I didn't call Gyokeres, but I called Hamer at the start of our Premier League campaign. My Coventry following cousin thought wed'd go for him as a DM. He'd have been cheaper back then, but like you say, would also have been available in the summer for around the £5 million mark. Wasted opportunity as like you say, he'll be Premier League next year along with Gyokeres.

The latter doesn't annoy me as much because I think most of us thought we were ok at striker in the summer with Pukki set to resume his normal Championship goalscoring and Sargent and Idah capable backup (ok, we were wrong, but still). However, Hamer would have filled a GAPING hole in the squad.

How much for the pair now? Both are the best players in their positions by a country mile in the Championship. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

How much for the pair now? Both are the best players in their positions by a country mile in the Championship. 

Both worth 10 figures. Gyokeres will probably fetch over £20 million.

6 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Both worth 10 figures. Gyokeres will probably fetch over £20 million.

10 figures? What Billions? A little on the high side id say.

We were asked not to fantasise! We will be selling the last remaining silverware to fund a spend on a combination of untested prospects (in the hope they later come good to be sold for profit) and seasoned journeymen who won’t cost much. We can’t afford anything else until new owners with ambition take over…which could happen but isn’t guaranteed 

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

10 figures? What Billions? A little on the high side id say.

Not entirely sure what happened there, it's early. I must've meant 8 figures.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I did wonder. 😀

43 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You were just including the pence?!

I’d try very hard to get Cole Palmer on loan from Man City, Di’shon Bernard from Man Utd either on loan or perm, Axel Tuanzebe on a free, I’d be looking at Jack Clarke from Sunderland,  Aaron Colins from Bristol rovers. Lawrence Shankland from Hearts, Luis Lopez from Aberdeen. Maybe Elie Youan from Hibs too. 

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We were asked not to fantasise! We will be selling the last remaining silverware to fund a spend on a combination of untested prospects (in the hope they later come good to be sold for profit) and seasoned journeymen who won’t cost much. We can’t afford anything else until new owners with ambition take over…which could happen but isn’t guaranteed 

Don't forget that we will sign a crooked player with a bad injury record who will get everyones hopes up only to end up playing about two or three games all season

The first move should be to appoint Russell Martin as manager, if not him then ideally a similar young up & coming coach.

Any 1 player isn’t nearly as crucial as the head coach, get that right and then we can think of players afterwards.

In an ideal world? Joel Piroe would be fantastic replacement for Pukki, Brereton Diaz is also out of contract but I'd imagine both of them would be interesting Premier League clubs, especially as Swansea have said they may have to sell Piroe due to being in his final year of his contract.

I've long admired Matt Grimes, also at Swansea. He's a really talented central midfielder and also captain which may go some way to addressing our leadership issues. 

Obviously the issue this sort of thread though is most of us don't watch much outside of the English Leagues or the top levels of Europe, so we'll likely be looking at players we've never heard of. To go a bit leftfield, Leeds were linked with Ramiz Zerrouki from FC Twente, a young DM who is regular international. Unlikely but you never know.

Another one I'd add- James Garner. Had a great loan with Forest, made a permanent move to Everton and has barely featured. If they stay up he could be a loan option?

If we are talking Swansea, I quite liked the look of Olivier Ntcham (No. 10), always available (although it wasn't that difficult on Saturday) and can pick a pass, out of contract June 24.

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’d try very hard to get Cole Palmer on loan from Man City, Di’shon Bernard from Man Utd either on loan or perm, Axel Tuanzebe on a free, I’d be looking at Jack Clarke from Sunderland,  Aaron Colins from Bristol rovers. Lawrence Shankland from Hearts, Luis Lopez from Aberdeen. Maybe Elie Youan from Hibs too. 

More chance of the sun not rising in the morning that him joining us!

• Like 1

What are the general finances of Championship clubs post covid now?

Rightly or wrongly we didn't target Championship experience in our recruitment last summer - was that the best time financially to do so? We were basically a financial powerhouse compared to most of the league at that point... I wonder if now it's going to be too expensive in general so we'll be utilising our scouting systems in South America etc again...

For me, we're going to need 2 CB's, 1 DM, 1 CAM, 1 ST and that's without any 'extra' sales.

From the snippets coming out from the club expect to see perhaps 5 or 6 new players in our starting 11 next season, which is always initially exciting.

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Will be interesting to see if Harwood-Bellis is deemed ready for a Premier League spell- if not he's been excellent for Burnley and would be a fantastic addition on loan. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

What are the general finances of Championship clubs post covid now?

Rightly or wrongly we didn't target Championship experience in our recruitment last summer - was that the best time financially to do so? We were basically a financial powerhouse compared to most of the league at that point... I wonder if now it's going to be too expensive in general so we'll be utilising our scouting systems in South America etc again...

For me, we're going to need 2 CB's, 1 DM, 1 CAM, 1 ST and that's without any 'extra' sales.

From the snippets coming out from the club expect to see perhaps 5 or 6 new players in our starting 11 next season, which is always initially exciting.

We will also need RB cover as Byram is out of contract 

I am identifying areas where its imperative we replace straight away. For me, those CB, DM, CF and a flair midfield player.

Alex Scott from Bristol City looks able to play at a top level. That is the DM.

Assal at Wimbledon could take over Sara's spot should he leave but if he stays then Sara takes the flair position.

Edwards at Posh has made England squads and would be my CB.

Twine would be my next choice. Is he a striker or No10? I will say with him Sarge may do better.

12 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

This. What a wasted opportunity. Instead we got Sara and Nunez, whilst there is quality there, the Cov pair would’ve hit the ground running for us.

23 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

This. What a wasted opportunity. Instead we got Sara and Nunez, whilst there is quality there, the Cov pair would’ve hit the ground running for us.

Could have had their manager too.

Didn't Coventry want like £20m in the summer for Gyokeres? Fulham were interested from what I recall but I guess maybe they didn't want to spend that much on a guy to be 2nd choice behind Mitrovic.