Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

Great City double-acts

Bryant & May ..........one of the best striking partnerships of all time ..........and a match for anyone 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Teemu's departure and his wonderful partnership with Emi got me thinking about great City double-acts.

Holt-Hoolahan is the most obvious other recent one. I'd also nominate Drury-Huckerby and perhaps more tenuously, Crook-Bowen (though check out this goal if you don't buy it...)

Any other great NCFC partnerships that spring to mind?

I think some 'double acts' are a bit of a myth. The Pukki-Buendia one being particularly the case. I did a bit of research last season or perhaps the summer Buendia left, and worked out that he hadn't actually been the leading assist maker for Pukki in at least two of his three seasons with us.

I think with them, it was more the case that Buendia was an intrinsic part to the way we played and was often involved in transitioning from defensive positions to attacking positions. I think some folks mentioned the ball before the final ball before - Buendia could be good at that and at moving the ball around the pitch to develop better attacking positions.

Pukki absolutely no doubt benefitted from Buendia being on the pitch in the same way that Stiepermann, Vrancic, Skipp and Cantwell did. The more problems teams have to contend with, the more they are stretched and their limitations are exposed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Bruce and Watson 

Curiously Nigel Bruce played Dr Watson. And the real Watson ran a listings magazine that was the forerunner of Time Out, What's On.

11 hours ago, chicken said:

I think some 'double acts' are a bit of a myth. The Pukki-Buendia one being particularly the case. I did a bit of research last season or perhaps the summer Buendia left, and worked out that he hadn't actually been the leading assist maker for Pukki in at least two of his three seasons with us.

I think with them, it was more the case that Buendia was an intrinsic part to the way we played and was often involved in transitioning from defensive positions to attacking positions. I think some folks mentioned the ball before the final ball before - Buendia could be good at that and at moving the ball around the pitch to develop better attacking positions.

Pukki absolutely no doubt benefitted from Buendia being on the pitch in the same way that Stiepermann, Vrancic, Skipp and Cantwell did. The more problems teams have to contend with, the more they are stretched and their limitations are exposed.

Yes, I think that's probably fair enough - happy to take your word for it on the stats. They did seem to have a wonderful understanding, though, and Pukki's intelligent running was made for Emi's vision and vice versa.

After Bjorn Borg's extraordinarily early retirement, his great rival John McEnroe said that he played on 'in continual mourning for Borg'. That quote has popped into my mind over the last couple of years watching an Emi-less Pukki running around in that strangely energetic-yet-hangdog way. It really hasn't been the same...

• Like 1