Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Giannoulis

I didn't see the game Saturday but saw Dimi got subbed off at halftime and the consensus seems to be that it was performance based rather than an injury.

Where does he go from here? I remember Smith was also constantly having to sub him at half time too, it just seems he's a player who can't be trusted to play the role he needs to. Is McCallum the future here?

Farke was accused of "scapegoating" him and treating him badly for mistakes. I think some said the same re Smith.

The reality is he's a fullback who in some games just repeatedly passes the ball to the opposition and makes really, really poor decisions.

He's good going forward. I imagine he'll be used in games when he's up against slighter wingers/ fullbacks rather than, for example Saturday, where he was up against some "units".

It’d be interesting to see what % of games he’s started that he’s been hooked at HT, it seems to happen WAY too often. As @hogesar says, as good as he is in attacked situations he is too prone to concentration lapses & errors. As much as I like Dimi, he can’t be the solution if he can’t sort that out. 

Edited by mrdi

Just now, mrdi said:

It’d be interesting to see what % of games he’s started that he’s been hooked at HT, it seems to happen WAY too often. As @hogesar says, as good as he is in attacked situations he is too prone to concentration lapses which lead to errors. As much as I like Dimi, he can’t be the solution if he can’t sort that out. 

Yeah it is really notable that I can think of 4 or 5 different occasions where he's been hooked after 45 minutes. Doesn't happen with Aarons on the other flank.

He's one I've always thought had a good chance of leaving this summer and this doesn't change my mind.

Twice in the first half, his head was up and he let the ball run over his feet into touch. Its a lack of concentration as far as I can see. And that makes him a liability. Well done DW for taking him off.

He was being owned by their right winger. I thought Dimi had pace but he looked sluggish in the first half, subbing him was the right call.

Giannoulis is such a weird one, as I felt against Preston he looked back to the player we initially bought. A constant threat, pacey, decent on the ball- the shackles were off and he looked great.

Then against Coventry he reverted to early-Prem Dimi, constantly getting caught out by their winger and both goals coming down his side. Though he wasn't terrible, it was clearly a battle he was losing and McCallum had no such difficulties second half.

He just has these mad games where he forgets to mark anyone and loves a horizontal suicide pass. If we were to go up, I think we would need a upgrade to both, and if we don't go up I doubt Dimi will stay on another year. Off to La Liga or some such.

4 times-on Saturday, then 3 away games last season-Man City, Chelsea and Palace. Although you could have made a point for all of them to be subbed off at halftime against Man City and Chelsea.

• Like 1

He was very poor Saturday and actually could have been taken off after 25mins without much of an argument. It's a shame because generally I do rate him but he looked incredibly lightweight, wasteful in possession and looked well off the pace. 

Seem to remember Dabo doing similar in the home fixture againse Byram though, he's a decent player.

I think the word is liability. He's generally above average in many attributes. His movement off the ball when we're in possession is good and he's mostly great at passing out through the press. Except when he's not. He loses concentration, gives the ball away, doesn't track runs etc..

In the 4-3-3 I thought he was blamed too often for being exposed 2 v 1 as if it should be his job to cover the extra man when the midfield let them go. However, against Coventry he was beaten 1 v 1 repeatedly, even with a bit of a head start.

McCallum is also a bit mixed though. He had a bit more physicality against Dabo but equally looks suspect defensively. It's a position still not nailed down imo.

• Like 1

Wagner did say Giannoulis had a thigh issue.  I like how he's not as eager to scapegoat players, must admit.  Dimi's always been on the end of it and we know that he's more an offensive wingback.   But it's easy to protect players when you've won back-to-back scoring 4 goals I guess.

Also have to balance it out that he will never get better unless he's playing against live opponents week in week out and learning from those mistakes.  And that's entirely down to the coaching team to calculate.

Oddly enough, I thought he looked very good at the start of the match - and then went through a phase of looking out of position again, and making some awful misplaced passes and odd turns that lead to him losing possession.  Coventry are strong on the right, though - big athletic men - ohhh missus! :classic_blush:

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The only player who's looked comfortable in that position since Jamal left is Sorenson. 

*cough* Kenny *cough*

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

McCallum is also a bit mixed though. He had a bit more physicality against Dabo but equally looks suspect defensively. It's a position still not nailed down imo.

I thought McCallum looked good when he came on, although maybe all he had to do was not be as poor as Dimi. He’s young and should get better, so I don’t see a need to look for a replacement, backup is enough for now.

And to be fair, Dimi was probably second to Timmy in the suicidal pass stakes on Saturday.

• Like 1

The primary function that a full back has to perform is to stop the cross from coming in. I've said it before recently on a couple of other threads. McCallum is better at stopping the cross from coming in than Dimi. Both Coventry's goals on Saturday came from crosses from Dimi's side which he should have prevented. 

50 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Oddly enough, I thought he looked very good at the start of the match - and then went through a phase of looking out of position again, and making some awful misplaced passes and odd turns that lead to him losing possession.  Coventry are strong on the right, though - big athletic men - ohhh missus! :classic_blush:

He was good but that was when we were on top and moving forward all the time. Once Coventry started having a go at us and used their own pace and strength he was clearly found wanting. He is another player where confidence is key and he let a few simple balls slip under his feet and go out of play... after that he just seemed to be struggling.

I thought McCallum was much better second half and he has a better physical presence (although he also benefited from the whole team playing in a more structured and calm manner.

6 hours ago, king canary said:

I didn't see the game Saturday but saw Dimi got subbed off at halftime and the consensus seems to be that it was performance based rather than an injury.

Where does he go from here? I remember Smith was also constantly having to sub him at half time too, it just seems he's a player who can't be trusted to play the role he needs to. Is McCallum the future here?

For the sake of historical accuracy it was Farke who hauled him off at half time at Man City and Chelsea last season. 

1 hour ago, overthebordercanary said:

We haven't had a decent left back since Adam Drury.

To be fair Adam Drury was a good left back.

Jamal Lewis was decent, certainly better than what we have at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Wal said:

To be fair Adam Drury was a good left back.

Jamal Lewis was decent, certainly better than what we have at the moment.

Rose tinted glasses I think a bit with Lewis, I liked him, and he certainly has quality, but we also have to remember that he was also an attacking fullback. Sadly, he signed a 5year contract so there will be no easy way for him to escape Newcastle to get games elsewhere unless Newcastle aren't bothered about much of a fee.

I do wonder if we could get to the point soon, where we look at what the players of Farke's two promotions have done since. Buendia is struggling for game time at Villa, Lewis is frozen out at Newcastle. Stiepermann, Srbenny and Vrancic have had to drop down levels, Leitner is still available on a free isn't he? Trybull has returned to the championship. Tettey has retired, Zimmermann is 2nd Div in Germany. Klose returned to the Championship with Bristol City. Cantwell has done little in the last two seasons and just moved to Rangers.

Feels almost like the FA youth cup winning side in that so much promise could be seen, yet so few made it through to play for Norwich on a regular basis, mainly the Murphy brothers.

As for Drury, Tierney wasn't bad either, had more pace. Olson wasn't bad either, nor was Garrido. Drury was our best defensively minded left back, though Tierney was a close 2nd in that department. Olson and Garrido were both better on the ball IMHO. No disrespect to Drury, he had to stay back to cover for Huckerby. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Rose tinted glasses I think a bit with Lewis, I liked him, and he certainly has quality, but we also have to remember that he was also an attacking fullback. Sadly, he signed a 5year contract so there will be no easy way for him to escape Newcastle to get games elsewhere unless Newcastle aren't bothered about much of a fee.

I do wonder if we could get to the point soon, where we look at what the players of Farke's two promotions have done since. Buendia is struggling for game time at Villa, Lewis is frozen out at Newcastle. Stiepermann, Srbenny and Vrancic have had to drop down levels, Leitner is still available on a free isn't he? Trybull has returned to the championship. Tettey has retired, Zimmermann is 2nd Div in Germany. Klose returned to the Championship with Bristol City. Cantwell has done little in the last two seasons and just moved to Rangers.

Feels almost like the FA youth cup winning side in that so much promise could be seen, yet so few made it through to play for Norwich on a regular basis, mainly the Murphy brothers.

As for Drury, Tierney wasn't bad either, had more pace. Olson wasn't bad either, nor was Garrido. Drury was our best defensively minded left back, though Tierney was a close 2nd in that department. Olson and Garrido were both better on the ball IMHO. No disrespect to Drury, he had to stay back to cover for Huckerby. 

Agree with you

Both Drury & Tierney were both better defensively then Giannoulis 

Both Olson & Garrido were better attacking full backs.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chicken said:

Buendia is struggling for game time at Villa,

His game time has improved dramatically since Gerrard left and he's largely playing well according to Villa fans.

• Like 3

He made some silly mistakes on Saturday and certainly did not play well, however, I still rate Dimi and think he is better than McCallum.  He'd still be my first choice.

10 hours ago, king canary said:

I thought Dimi got caught out for both goals, and he did look a bit light weight.

I like McCalum, he is a good defender and competent going forward.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

His game time has improved dramatically since Gerrard left and he's largely playing well according to Villa fans.

Yeah, he’s started every game since Gerrard was sacked.

5 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

We haven't had a decent left back since Adam Drury.

I'd argue Tierney was decent enough in that department although their careers here obviously overlapped.