Who you starting (out of available players) if your in charge? 

Gunn 

Byram.      Hanley Gibson.    Aarons 

Gibbs.          Mclean               

Cantwell.      Dowell    Hernandez 

Sargent 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
Omo injured 🤣
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Omo is crocked.

Gunn

Aarons Hanley Gibbo Byram

McLean Gibbs Dowell

Sargent Pukki Cantwell

I like this. Dowell will be able to influence the game more from there than out wide. Could also play this like a diamond, with Teemu and Josh up front, Cantwell just behind, Gibbs sitting deeper with Kenny/Kieran ahead of him.

20 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Who you starting (out of available players) if your in charge? 

Gunn 

Byram.       Omobamidele Gibson.    Aarons 

Gibbs.          Mclean               

Cantwell.      Dowell    Hernandez 

Sargent 

We really lack pace in our squad don't we.

It's why Onel is still here and getting minutes.

Aarons and Hernandez the only speed merchants in your XI (which I guess is why you felt the need to select Onel). 

No pace down your right side. 

Hurry up back Dimi!

I'm starting to wonder whether we didn't just massively over rate Cantwell when he was hyped up and contributing. A wide player doesn't have to have pace but if they don't have that then they'd better be a great crosser, or at least be able to cut inside and present a goal threat. Cantwell offers neither, so it will be a lot of drifting towards the centre to get on the ball and some sideways and backwards passing. 

Parker tried to use him through the middle, if there is one thing he is pretty good at when on song it is threading a pass and some nice interplay, like a poundshop James Maddison (but again, without the long range goal threat or the dead ball ability)

If only we could inject Onels pace into Cantwell or Cantwells tidy footwork into Onel.

Can the Saudis buy a couple of right sided players in Janaury please, free up Jacob Murphy for his return on loan? He'd genuinely improve us right now.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Gunn 
Byram Hanley Gibson Aarons

Hernandez Gibbs Sara Cantwell

Pukki Sergeant

Anyone but McLean . Just play 3 or 4 games without him and see what happens. Hayden and Gianoullis are a must as soon as fit to start.

• Like 2

I just wish we had more options at full back, Gianoullis returning can not come quick enough so we can switch Byram to the right. In my opinion Aaron’s needs a break, he looks out of form and is only a 4/5 out of 10 performer atm. I realise this is only one of our issues as the midfield balance is off too. Tomorrow’s going to be a big test.

Where's Sara in these line-ups. If he hasn't shown enough by now (and I think that he has) to figure among the starters, and assuming he's fully recovered from the injury he had, then one has to ask why all that money was  invested.

I rate him.

I agree, young Nunez needs resting. After that initial burst of everything in his locker (including adaption to the new environment personally and professionally) it's inevitable that it would catch up with him. He's also been ever present. Some workload.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

Aarons only moved to left back to avoid a second yellow v Sarr on sat

Gibson straight in for Omo,   IF we are to play Dowell he has to have no defensive role and be the number 10, how kenny got that role at the start of the second half ahead of dowell Ill never know.   It feels like a 4231,  41212 or a 4312 formation.   Need  the cbs to stay awake for 90 mins,  both goals on sat due to dozy cb defending.   

Need Hayden up to full speed quickly to develop a Gibbs Hayden screen for a 4312 as my preference longer term with 

Gunn

Aarons Omo Hanley Dimi

Gibbs Hayden Nunez

Sara 

Sargeant Pukki

Line up  - starting Kenny for Hayden until Hayden can last 45 mins when Hayden walks in,  Gibson for Omo and Byram for Dimi in the meantime.  Dowell v Sara is a live debate - but think Sara gets the nod atm

Edited by ZLF

Gunn

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, McLean

Gibbs

Nunez               Sara

Cantwell

Pukki          Sargent

GK: Angus GUNN
LB: Kenny MCLEAN
LCB: Ben GIBSON
RCB: Grant HANLEY
RB: Max AARONS
DM: Liam GIBBS
DM: Gabriel SARA
RAM: Kieran DOWELL
LAM: Todd CANTWELL
CF: Teemu PUKKI
CF: Josh SARGENT 

Subs: Krul (GK), Hayden, Nunez, Byram, Hernandez, Hugill, Sinani

I'd try 4-2-2-2 here with our creative players on the wings but encouraged to drift around when we're in possession, and ask them to try and block up a wing when not. Cantwell can have workaholic tendencies on occasion and would need them here. Dowell's the opposite to Hernandez in that he's crap off the bench. Onel's always best thrown on with 30 to go and is only really a starter if we're setting a team up to play on the counter IMO.

Also, Dowell and Cantwell are probably the two most likely to find a through ball for Pukki. Sinani provides something different in that he doesn't take a lot of touches, but that style of play needs a very well-drilled front line and he's not played enough with Pukki to provide it. 

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

GK: Angus GUNN
LB: Kenny MCLEAN
LCB: Ben GIBSON
RCB: Grant HANLEY
RB: Max AARONS
DM: Liam GIBBS
DM: Gabriel SARA
RAM: Kieran DOWELL
LAM: Todd CANTWELL
CF: Teemu PUKKI
CF: Josh SARGENT 

Subs: Krul (GK), Hayden, Nunez, Byram, Hernandez, Hugill, Sinani

I'd try 4-2-2-2 here with our creative players on the wings but encouraged to drift around when we're in possession, and ask them to try and block up a wing when not. Cantwell can have workaholic tendencies on occasion and would need them here. Dowell's the opposite to Hernandez in that he's crap off the bench. Onel's always best thrown on with 30 to go and is only really a starter if we're setting a team up to play on the counter IMO.

Also, Dowell and Cantwell are probably the two most likely to find a through ball for Pukki. Sinani provides something different in that he doesn't take a lot of touches, but that style of play needs a very well-drilled front line and he's not played enough with Pukki to provide it. 

Worth a try 

As  TheGunnShow but I'd put Sam in CB instead of Gibson, put Sara behind the front 2 & replace Dowell with Nunez (basically a diamond). Sara gets into the box & can score, which not enough of our midfield do.

GK. Gunn

LB. McLean

CB. Gibson

CB. Hanley

RB. Aarons

CM. Nunez

CM. Gibbs

CM. Sara

AM. Dowell

ST. Pukki

ST. Sargent

Subs; Krul, Dimi, Byram, Hayden, Cantwell, Hernandez, Hugill

I'd still go with a back three, even without Omo. Hayden not fit to start, so

Gunn

Hanley Gibson Byram

Aarons Gibbs, Sara, Nunez, Maclean

Cantwell

Sargent

Subs: Krul Dimi Pukki Hernandez Hayden Dowell Sinani

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'd still go with a back three, even without Omo. Hayden not fit to start, so

Gunn

Hanley Gibson Byram

Aarons Gibbs, Sara, Nunez, Maclean

Cantwell

Sargent

Subs: Krul Dimi Pukki Hernandez Hayden Dowell Sinani

Surely one of Cantwell’s strengths is feeding Pukki. If he is to be recalled, which I think he should be, what’s the point in dropping Pukki?

6 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Surely one of Cantwell’s strengths is feeding Pukki. If he is to be recalled, which I think he should be, what’s the point in dropping Pukki?

I'm not against that lineup except I would have Dowell where Todd is and Todd back into midfield instead of Nunez.

Plus I don't see why Hayden cannot start the match? If Gibbs is injured in the first minute he would have to come on. If he isn't fit yet, don't risk him.

Why is everyone picking Pukki in their team? He is so poor and does not score the goals we need. Historically he was brilliant, but at 32 he has had it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Why is everyone picking Pukki in their team? He is so poor and does not score the goals we need. Historically he was brilliant, but at 32 he has had it!

Because as part of a front 3 we don't have anyone better to justify splitting Sargent and Pukki up.

26 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Jesus wept.

Yes Pukki is 32 years old, not had the best of seasons so far but he has still scored 4 goals. 
Keep him in the team, get players around him and supply him the service he deserves and thrives on - simples.

• Like 1

Please no more Gibbs

He's not ready...and certainly not in the role he's being asked to perform

When we had no one else to play there , fair enough but not now

He isnt a defensive midfielder and shouldnt be being played there

Gunn

Aarons   Hanley  Gibson  Giannoulis

Hayden

Nunez        Sara

Dowell (did about enough at Watford to start over Cantwell)

Sargent      Pukki

Krul Byram McLean Cantwell Hernandez Ramsay Hugill

25 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Jesus wept.

Yes Pukki is 32 years old, not had the best of seasons so far but he has still scored 4 goals. 
Keep him in the team, get players around him and supply him the service he deserves and thrives on - simples.

He hasn’t had the best of three seasons, has he! Are you suggesting that he hasn’t  had the required service, he’s missed far more than he has scored, hasn’t he? not only this season, but in two relegation seasons too, and Celtic got rid because………!

49 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Because as part of a front 3 we don't have anyone better to justify splitting Sargent and Pukki up.

Do city need a front 3? Who is scoring all the goals? Have they tried anyone else? One can only hope Idah is soon fit

I’d be tempted to go three at the back and 2 up top given Omo is crocked at Sargent needs to play central IMO.

Gunn

Byram Hanley Gibson

Aaron’s Sara Hayden McClean 

Dowell

Pukki Sargent              

Edited by Monty13

Luton can go above us tomorrow... Something to look forward to, along with Gibson hobbling off halfway through the first half. *Crash of thunder and rain pounding on my head*

With that in mind I would go:

Krul 

Max  Grant  Byram  McLean  

Hayden

Nunez   Sara   Cantwell  

Sarge Pukki

Or a slight twist, to be solid:

Krul 

Max  Grant  Byram  McLean  

Hayden  Gibbs

Nunez   Sara   Cantwell  

Sarge

1st half:

Gunn

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Byram

Nunez, McLean

Sinani, Dowell, Cantwell

Pukki

2nd half:

Gunn

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Byram

Hayden, Nunez

Hernandez, Ramsey, Sara

Sargent

Looking at All these lineups and can’t help thinking we are regressing.

There’s obvious square pegs in round holes and to play Sargent and Pukki in the same line-up requires a change of formation, as simple as that.    They are out and out centre forwards, as is Idah and should only be played in that position unless we are desperate.

That requires a 4-4-2, a 3-4-1-2, or a 3-5-2.

With what we have, would go with 

Gunn

Byram, Hanley, Gibson

Aarons, Gibbs, Sara / Nunez, Hernandez

Cantwell

Pukki, Sargent.    

Aarons and Hernandez to offer the width, balance and defensive cover but we need to work through the middle more anyway to get best from Pukki.   
Be looking to get Sinani involved more too.