Just awful. If we go up we may as well raise a white flag if he’s playing. 

Liam Gibbs on the hand was great. Nice to see him back. At 19 some player!

• Like 1

I don't think he was too bad first half but that second half was dreadful. I think he found more Reading players than Norwich.

Gibbs is rapidly doing an Omobamidele / Aarons - pops up, steps in with aplomb and takes his chance.

I'm in the camp for Kenny being a decent midfielder at this level. He does however have this now-burgeoning proneness to play blind passes inside under pressure which lead to very dangerous overloads. They aren't really defensible as it does happen at least once a game, recently probably a few per match.

I for one think the side needs a bit of a refresh. Don't want to fuss too much with a (generally) winning side, but Sargent RW turns a potential match winner into a 5/10 at best, Ramsey is lost out wide and Kenny has started to make more and more unforced errors. Need a shake-up v Preston IMO

• Like 9

At this level hes decent, his key attribute is his ability to point.

Give him the credit where due, he stepped in at left back when we needed him outside of that he has the passing movement of a crab.

I thought he actually had a pretty good game tonight and he’s clearly pivotal to our new set piece routines. But he did have two moments in the last 15 that were sadly quite typical when he passed the ball straight to them/into touch.

Gibbs in the other hand was excellent. 

• Like 1

Couple of poor passes in second half that need eradicating but overall had a good game, as mentioned several times by the sky commentators.

• Like 3

Anyone still defending him after that tonight??

Too many have become institutionalized with him...we DON'T HAVE PUT UP WITH THIS....THERE IS BETTER OUT THERE!!!!

If Sara really isnt ready to replace him by now we have to assume Webber has pi$$ed more money up the wall

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 3

Kenny really does split supporters, doesn’t he?!  I thought he was the usual mixed bag, played some good stuff but also did give it away at times.  I don’t know if it was more than anyone else and we just notice it more?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

At this level hes decent, his key attribute is his ability to point.

Give him the credit where due, he stepped in at left back when we needed him outside of that he has the passing movement of a crab.

It’s an urban myth, don’t be drawn into the pointing thing, every player does it….

• Like 2

He's the archetypal Webber-era Norwich player. Good in the Championship, poor in the PL. 5ft9 with no pace, strength or dribbling ability. Likes to pass and move but doesn't like to tackle, run with the the ball or shoot. Has a good attitude, cares about the club and is a nice guy but lacks that ruthless edge and composure. He's the typical Norwich player but he gets picked because he covers ground, follows instruction and is one of the rare players in our team who can win a header, plus I didn't see anyone on the bench today who i thought should start ahead of him. 

But i get why people are frustrated. When we as a team are playing too slowly, too much backwards and sideways, too many short simple passes and he's the main culprit of that I get why it would wind people up. He's not as good or bad as people who are divided in their opinion of him seem to think he is. He offers quite a lot at this level but is also a frustratingly limited and risk averse player in some ways, especially as the current successful trend in football has moved towards pace, athleticism and direct running when it comes to midfielders. 

On a side note I continue to be impressed by Gibbs. He can run with the ball, beat players and set up counter attacks which is very useful. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

He's the archetypal Webber-era Norwich player. Good in the Championship, poor in the PL. 5ft9 with no pace, strength or dribbling ability. Likes to pass and move but doesn't like to tackle, run with the the ball or shoot. Has a good attitude, cares about the club and is a nice guy but lacks that ruthless edge and composure. He's the typical Norwich player but he gets picked because he covers ground, follows instruction and is one of the rare players in our team who can win a header, plus I didn't see anyone on the bench today who i thought should start ahead of him. 

But i get why people are frustrated. When we as a team are playing too slowly, too much backwards and sideways, too many short simple passes and he's the main culprit of that I get why it would wind people up. He's not as good or bad as people who are divided in their opinion of him seem to think he is. He offers quite a lot at this level but is also a frustratingly limited and risk averse player in some ways, especially as the current successful trend in football has moved towards pace, athleticism and direct running when it comes to midfielders. 

On a side note I continue to be impressed by Gibbs. He can run with the ball, beat players and set up counter attacks which is very useful. 

I don’t think Kenny is the main culprit of slowing us down. I think that’s the full backs who refuse to/appear to have been told not to go on the overlap.

Kenny’s issues are the blind cross field passes he keeps playing one or twice a game which get intercepted and the fact he gets dragged out of position too easily when playing CDM. He was better tonight because we had Gibbs sitting. 

Mclean sums up the league, alot of effort and hard-work but little quality. 

You could argue Nunez was even worse however. 

Put it this way, when/if Hayden is fit to start who do you drop? For me it has to be Kenny. I like the guy, and he certainly can't be faulted for the effort he puts in. It's those passes that he inexplicably gifts to the opposition that swings it. We pressed really well in those final 20 minutes last night and on at least 2 occasions promising moves broke down when he lost the ball while under no real pressure. So bloody frustrating! Gibbs looks genuine class and seems to get better with each game, his growing confidence suggests he must start when fit. Nunez didn't have his best game last night, but you always get the feeling he has the ability to make something special happen to unlock a game. So, Hayden, Gibbs, Nunez would complete my midfield engine room, and I would be more than happy to see Kenny come off the bench when tired legs need replacing and we have a goal lead to defend.

I also wonder whether a more traditional 4-4-2 formation might be worth trying in order to use Sargent more effectively.

6 hours ago, Yobocop said:

It’s an urban myth, don’t be drawn into the pointing thing, every player does it….

Every player, I think you'll show more respect to the King of pointing Mr Russ Martin and his able apprentice Mr Kenny McLean. 

We all will point at something during our workday but these two legends have taken it to another level. 

I can't wait till the 2032 Olympics when Street Pointing is given its rightful place in competition  then you'll see some gold medals in the City!

Thought he had a average game, some ok moments, some poor ones, one bad one.

Having said that had he been in Nunez’s position for their goal I don’t think their guy would have just walked round him and scored like he did. We would have been top of the league.

We need better but he’s not the only one that needs upgrading.

• Like 1

In previous seasons I accepted the "but he's good at this level buh" argument, you simply cannot make that argument this season unless you're just blind to his failings, he has been consistently our worst player..... BY A MILE this season. 

10 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't think he was too bad first half but that second half was dreadful. I think he found more Reading players than Norwich.

This is probably the most accurate. Was good I thought for the majority of the first half and clearly had to make up ground others were failing to do like Nunez for example. Im not his greatest fan, given his costly errors, however not many of our current midfield team in their current form have his engine. I would of hoped by now Sara would of dislodged him, but it remains to be seen what he can offer at this stage and I appreciate he needs more time to bed in, but on paper Sara should be heaps better than the average championship player.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

In previous seasons I accepted the "but he's good at this level buh" argument, you simply cannot make that argument this season unless you're just blind to his failings, he has been consistently our worst player..... BY A MILE this season. 

No, he hasn't.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Did we really spend almost 10 million on Sara only for McLean to start over him? Really?

*firing up the crowd.

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

I don't think thats fair. I think he's played pretty well on the whole other than the loose passes which admittedly are a problem. Did well at left back. Its not his fault he's not the holding mid we need. Thats not his game.

• Like 3

He's probably been the least consistently effective of the regular starters, but all this anti-Kenny rhetoric is ridiculous. Due to the absence of Hayden and Sorensen he's been forced to play a DM role that doesn't suit his skillset (not to mention a very decent spell as emergency LB). He's good a good first touch, good stamina, is good in the air, reads the game well and is an excellent team player. His passing isn't that bad, although in recent games he's definitely acquired an unwelcome habit of playing long square passes in his own half leading to costly turnovers. I think that's more to do with the position he's been asked to play, as he wouldn't usually be that consistently deep in the first place.

He's out of contract next summer, and if we do go back up then of course he's not good enough to be a regular PL starter. The emergence of Gibbs is a huge positive, and if we can get Hayden fit (and keep him fit) then I wouldn't expect Kenny to be starting every match. Considering we signed him for 400k from Aberdeen, he's been a very good signing for us, and I wouldn't be averse to keeping him on as a squad player for another couple of years irrespective of what division we're in.

• Like 4