Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Jamal Lewis on loan?

Doesn't seem to get a sniff under Howe, in fact was deregistered from their squad last January for the second half of the season.

Knows it here, friends with Cantwell (might help with Cantwell's mood as well), decent at this level...

... we've got no fit full backs.

People have worse ideas don't they?

• Like 1

Just now, The Real Buh said:

It’s a good idea to me?

Is that a question or a statement?  

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Doesn't seem to get a sniff under Howe, in fact was deregistered from their squad last January for the second half of the season.

Knows it here, friends with Cantwell (might help with Cantwell's mood as well), decent at this level...

... we've got no fit full backs.

People have worse ideas don't they?

One. 

Might be a gamble worth taking, I mean, based on their Norwich careers I’d much prefer Lewis at LB than JLS. However…

He shone in a particular system under a particular manager and we’re a different outfit now. He’s also (whenever I’ve seen him) had an absolute mare at Newcastle. But he was good for us and, as I said, if we could get him in on a covering loan then I’d prefer him to Sorensen. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Problem is, his groin injury meant he didn't play a minute of pre season so we would be getting him match fit just in time for Ginis return, or roundabout.

Ignoring Gibson we've only McLean who is left footed. I can see us overloading the right hand side to get Max overlapping or piling everything through the middle. 

Lewis would give us a bit more balance and is fine at Championship level.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Problem is, his groin injury meant he didn't play a minute of pre season so we would be getting him match fit just in time for Ginis return, or roundabout.

I don't think it would take quite that long, but if it did take Lewis 8+ weeks to get match fit after missing pre season then presumably it would also take Giannoulis a similar amount when his injury is healed - so the loan (or another loan) definitely still makes sense while Giannoulis gets back up to speed. 

We are really stretched now with only one left back option who isn't actually left back and one centre defensive mid option who favours playing further forwards! Some additional support is needed. 

Although would I be right in thinking we can only loan from overseas now, with Ramsey and Hayden being our 2 domestic loans (could be making this up)?

I want Fredrik Bjørkan from Herta Berlin on lone to January

Edited by Olano
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Ignoring Gibson we've only McLean who is left footed. I can see us overloading the right hand side to get Max overlapping or piling everything through the middle. 

Lewis would give us a bit more balance and is fine at Championship level.

I think Sara left footed.

21 minutes ago, Olano said:

I want Fredrik Bjørkan from Herta Berlin on lone to January

That would be a quality signing, was linked with him about a year ago, just before the links with Knutsen I believe.

But if they didn't want to spend money on a new left back I would start playing McLean at LB as I think he would be more suited to that role than CM. He has a good left foot, undervalued in the air (one of our best) and I believe he would make a good attacking LB. If he plays that role I could see him becoming a consistent at least 7/10 performer every week like Drury was.

Edited by HB1989
  • Like 1

We'd be paying him more than we ever did Emi, so can't see that happening.  And if it did - how ****ed up would that be?!

27 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

We'd be paying him more than we ever did Emi

No we wouldn't, not if he's not in Newcastle's plans. 

We'd pay him as much as any other team would be prepared to pay him, with Newcastle having to cough up the rest.

And that will be a fraction of whatever he's paid at Newcastle, because only Championship players will want to sign him.

Blackburn apparently paid just £2k a week towards Tom Trybull's wages. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Blackburn apparently paid just £2k a week towards Tom Trybull's wages. 

Blackburn hadn't won the Championship twice in a row and two season's in prem league, and Trybull nowhere near the calibre or prospect of Lewis.

Plus we don't know what the plan is for Lewis, Howe was talking about him playing a part this season only a week or so back - Gave the impression that his fitness in training was the issue.

Pretty sure we'd be paying him at least 30k/week, if not, someone else would.

Edited by Google Bot

I think Smith's happy with the prospect of Lungi standing in. I suspect any possible loan will depend on the prognosis for Byram's injury.

34 minutes ago, Ash.m87 said:

no way would he want to come back to Championship club

Jacob Murphy did, and he gets much more football now at Newcastle than Lewis.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

I think Smith's happy with the prospect of Lungi standing in. I suspect any possible loan will depend on the prognosis for Byram's injury.

• Thanks 1

There are reasons we cannot sign Lewis.  First is that we have the permitted two loans.  Although Forest last season and Fulham in past had many loanees.  Second even if we coukd have morer loanees we already have one Newcastle player on loan.

Being injured is almost a prerequisite for a move to Norwich.