24 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

None of us really have a clue what has happened or what is happening, so it's all speculation.

My speculation (FWIW, i.e. very little) is that he has realised how badly he's screwed up and so he has suddenly rediscovered his undying love for his local club because he has nowhere else to go. In other words, he's a manipulative, self-serving little sh*t and we should keep well away from him. If we give him another chance, he'll repay us by dumping us again as soon as it suits him.

But others on here have very different opinions of Mr Cantwell, I know. And who can tell which of us is right?

Not sure why so many of you make his situation seem so dramatic, him training with us shows he understands that he was wrong and wants to try here again. Football is a business and if we can get another player who is proven to be good at championship level back on our books without paying for it then its good for both parties. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, city4eva said:

Who says the bridges have been burnt ?  The half dozen or so posters on here ,or the 26000 plus who go to carrow rd every game .

if he performs I will welcome him back as I hope every supporter would

Well the reaction on the few occasions he’s played at Carrow Rd recently the reception he got was lukewarm at best. 

Daniel Farke couldn’t get a tune out of him, ditto Dean Smith, ditto Scott Parker. Perhaps if he could wean himself off social media things might improve but I think it’s just too late for him now.

I hope he goes, I simply don’t think he is good enough to create and dominate the way we would like him to and I see him as a lower half championship player.

That and I’ve made a real commitment to disliking him publicly for a while and if he comes good it really doesn’t suit my agenda 😂

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I hope he goes, I simply don’t think he is good enough to create and dominate the way we would like him to and I see him as a lower half championship player.

That and I’ve made a real commitment to disliking him publicly for a while and if he comes good it really doesn’t suit my agenda 😂

I understand how you feel. I'm in a similar position with Dean Smith. If he turns out to be a wonderful manager who establishes us in the PL, I'm going to be the butt of jokes for years to come.

• Like 1

The situation is positive with Cantwell being named in the teams and him seemingly playing with full commitment and no issues. With a full pre-season under his belt he will be in the best position to be able to find himself again. I doubt he'll ever agree to renew his contract however, so club still have a problem there.

11 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The situation is positive with Cantwell being named in the teams and him seemingly playing with full commitment and no issues. With a full pre-season under his belt he will be in the best position to be able to find himself again. I doubt he'll ever agree to renew his contract however, so club still have a problem there.

So why play him? It's not going to benefit the club in the slightest. Even if he's a roaring success, we won't get a penny at the end of it, and we'd face the Skipp/Buendia problem of finding a replacement if he helped take us up.

Edited by canarybubbles

First issue is - where's his head at? If he's finally had an epiphany and realised to be a wanted player, you have to knuckle down and apply yourself diligently, then at least he appears to be finally taking steps to do so.

Second issue is that there are only twelve months left on the contract, and that's because the club exercised an option to stop him walking away this year for sweet FA. He does hold the cards here - play well, and he'll get suitors soon enough looking to get him in cheap. If we could get another year's contract somehow (not sure I can really see it, but stranger things have happened) then that's probably the ideal scenario from the club's end in terms of maximising what they can get for him.

I will say this though, if the rumours were true that he went into a tailspin as Billy Gilmour pinched his partner, you'd think this season and his performances would tell us so fairly quickly with the chance to start afresh and get fully fit with a hard pre-season under his belt.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Ideally he gets back to his best and signs a new contract but he has a tricky agent I believe so not sure how likely the latter is. If he won’t then he will be leaving us for free so it’s a question of whether we try and get another decent year out of our asset or flog him for what will be “on the cheap”. Personally I’d take the risk and hope we get a good year out of him and who knows, if he’s enjoying it again he may soften on a new contract. 

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

So why play him? It's not going to benefit the club in the slightest. Even if he's a roaring success, we won't get a penny at the end of it, and we'd face the Skipp/Buendia problem of finding a replacement if he helped take us up.

The same point would hold of any loan signing, including players like Skipp.

The very sad thing is that there are a minority of fans who would much rather Cantwell fails to find form, and is hounded out of the club, rather than recover his form and help us to promotion. I don't know of a football pundit who hasn't commented on Cantwell's talent in the past (Lineker, Shearer, Ferdinand et al), so doesn't it make sense to show the guy a little support to realise the potential he has to win us games? On his day he can be a game changer, so what is there to lose from having such a player available for selection assuming he is happy and firing on all cylinders?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, horsefly said:

The same point would hold of any loan signing, including players like Skipp.

The very sad thing is that there are a minority of fans who would much rather Cantwell fails to find form, and is hounded out of the club, rather than recover his form and help us to promotion. I don't know of a football pundit who hasn't commented on Cantwell's talent in the past (Lineker, Shearer, Ferdinand et al), so doesn't it make sense to show the guy a little support to realise the potential he has to win us games? On his day he can be a game changer, so what is there to lose from having such a player available for selection assuming he is happy and firing on all cylinders?

Sorry, but I can't agree. If playing him means we don't develop a player who is contracted to stay at the club, I don't think it's worth it. 'Available for selection' - sure, why not?, if we need him because of an injury crisis or something like that, and he goes along with it because it would benefit him also in terms of the level of club which he eventually moves to. But a regular part of the team when he won't sign a longer contract? IMO, no.

10 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Sorry, but I can't agree. If playing him means we don't develop a player who is contracted to stay at the club, I don't think it's worth it. 'Available for selection' - sure, why not?, if we need him because of an injury crisis or something like that, and he goes along with it because it would benefit him also in terms of the level of club which he eventually moves to. But a regular part of the team when he won't sign a longer contract? IMO, no.

Was it worth it when we played Skipp instead of "developing" a player not as good?

Bizarre that with next to nothing coming in to the club that some would be happy to see the back of Cantwell.

He is a talent and a local lad so a happy Todd is worth a string of low grade foreign imports.

17 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

The bridges have been burnt.

He needs a new club

As much as I'd love to burn the bridge, can we really afford to? He's one of our best attacking players, doesn't look like anybody wants to give us a wedge for him and we've apparently not got a pot to **** in. 

I'm now hoping that we squeeze some decent form out of him before he walks next summer.

A clean slate and hoping for the best now that he's seen the grass wasn't greener on the other side feels like the pragmatic and sensible option. If he contributes in some way (goals hopefully) to helping us back up he might even manage to leave with some goodwill and best wishes. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

45 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I mean, the small matter of him helping us get promoted would be reason enough for me. Every other championship club would take him; I'd hazard a guess he doesn't want to join any of them because Norwich are the best of the lot in terms of promotion prospects. His agent doesn't hang around; if he wanted to join say WBA or Blackburn then they'd be concrete interest emerge. Good luck to him, hope he succeeds and signs a new contract and stays to become one of our goats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

So we'll pay him probably something like a three quarters of a million this year to do f*ck all? 

Would be train and play with the first team for this period or with the U23s. If the latter is he not taking the spot of a prospect, and if needed in the first team when needed  how well do you expect him to do with players he isn't training with on the regular?

Let's not forget that it was the club who decided to trigger his one year extension.

You are being emotive and making rash decisions based on what your heart is saying, I feel that we all need to be pragmatic and lean towards using our heads. 

Let's try squeeze some value out of what we're paying for Cantwell this season, in the form of goals and assists. Assuming nobody wants to throw a few million our way to take him this summer.

The whole saga is just so ridiculous. He is still our player, at least for now and still has the potential to be an important player for us, as he was in the last championship season.  All well and good - we need good players, so if he stays and performs, we all win.

However, I am guessing he won't sign a contract and he will just wait until the end of the year and be able to move on as a free agent. Now that would stink because of the way he has been brought through the club over the years and how the club have looked after him for a decade or more. He might think he owes the club nothing, but to leave the club for nothing, having taken so much in wages and time and effort in developing him, is going to leave a very sour taste.

But what he does now is what matters - prove his worth on the pitch, play well, get us promoted and we can worry about contracts at the end of the season. If he leaves for free at the end of the season, it will be a travesty, that may be the reality of it, but for now he is a Norwich player and we need him at his best.  I'd still rather he left, but if he doesn't, he needs to show some ability and commitment as a squad member this season, otherwise the saga will run and run, just causing distraction from what really matters - the team and getting promoted.

Todd is a good player 

he was good here when he got in the team then in started to go wrong 

then he went to Bournemouth first few games he turned in on then didnt play ?

then he comes back looks good in pre season etc then i am sure it will go wrong 

Get that Problem sorted out in his head and we have a good player back 

He should know the situation he is in.

if he doesn’t do anything with us then at best he will get a move to L1 and the cesspit of some of the teams down there.

he knows it’s **** or bust for him.

19 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

None of us really have a clue what has happened or what is happening, so it's all speculation.

My speculation (FWIW, i.e. very little) is that he has realised how badly he's screwed up and so he has suddenly rediscovered his undying love for his local club because he has nowhere else to go. In other words, he's a manipulative, self-serving little sh*t and we should keep well away from him. If we give him another chance, he'll repay us by dumping us again as soon as it suits him.

But others on here have very different opinions of Mr Cantwell, I know. And who can tell which of us is right?

He's a footballer, not your girlfriend, chill out a bit.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Bizarre that with next to nothing coming in to the club that some would be happy to see the back of Cantwell.

He is a talent and a local lad so a happy Todd is worth a string of low grade foreign imports.

Goes without saying but will he ever be at this club ?

I fear that ship has sailed.

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Goes without saying but will he ever be at this club ?

I fear that ship has sailed.

Fair point but if we will be parked in the Champs for a while which I feel is likely he could still have a role.

Higher level... totally agree and maybe he has now come to term with being 'average'.

If Todd is judged to be capable of contributing to NCFC this season, play him.

Come January there must be at least one relegation threatened PL team that would be prepared to take a punt on him. 

And / or if we get promoted, where would he get a better financial deal than signing a new contract with us? 

4 hours ago, king canary said:

He's a footballer, not your girlfriend, chill out a bit.

Tell me about it.

The weird treatment from our fans on Todd is a weird pattern of most of our young academy players if they're attacking and try things.

Todd is treated like a long term girlfriend who cheated repeatedly just when you were going to propose, whilst the same posters make every single excuse under the sun and lay the blame fully at the club for Tzolis season of failure. Its absolutely bizarre.

• Like 5

You could say Todd was the long term girlfriend who cheated but Tzolis is the girl you have seen in the club, said hello to once and have a feeling things could be great with. Todd has shown what he can do and then he's gone backwards, Tzolis hasn't had a chance to show anything. It's the usual thing where a new signing is always fantastic until you see them play. Then it can go either way. 

May be the club are hoping his pre-season performances and the early league games improve his saleability and value this window.    Clubs will be interested if he is contributing well!   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canaries north said:

You could say Todd was the long term girlfriend who cheated but Tzolis is the girl you have seen in the club, said hello to once and have a feeling things could be great with. Todd has shown what he can do and then he's gone backwards, Tzolis hasn't had a chance to show anything. It's the usual thing where a new signing is always fantastic until you see them play. Then it can go either way. 

This sounds a bit like DF's Keira Knightley press conference

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If he plays ‘well enough’ for us this season then I see the benefit to us of course, but it’ll purely be justification for him to look at the club and say ‘I told you so’ before strolling off on a free. Now, if he has been so good we’ve gone up then fine, thanks for the hundred million, now good luck to you. BUT if he has been a decent player playing in a decent team that make the playoffs but ultimately stay in the Championship then it’s not good for anyone - including him unless he is the ‘standout player’, which based on the fact he never has been over a season for us is unlikely to get him a move out of this league. 

16 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

If he plays ‘well enough’ for us this season then I see the benefit to us of course, but it’ll purely be justification for him to look at the club and say ‘I told you so’ before strolling off on a free. Now, if he has been so good we’ve gone up then fine, thanks for the hundred million, now good luck to you. BUT if he has been a decent player playing in a decent team that make the playoffs but ultimately stay in the Championship then it’s not good for anyone - including him unless he is the ‘standout player’, which based on the fact he never has been over a season for us is unlikely to get him a move out of this league. 

Thats my point about loans such as Hayden..... stops us developing our own and if we don't go up, what was the point!   Another wasted year when we could have developed say Sorensen or bought someone in to develop.