The fans obsession with lungi is hilarious.

Same people that thought playing rowe as a starter last year would keep us up.

Lungi will be a good squad player for us this year. That is his level. If you can't see that, your dumb 😂😊

15 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Lungi will be a good squad player for us this year. That is his level. If you can't see that, your dumb 😂😊

You're..........

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

You're..........

It's like shooting fish in a barrel sometimes, isn't it? 🙂

• Haha 1

We all have typo's and poor punctuation at times, but the irony of calling someone dumb with an incorrect word was, well just dumb! 

Couldn't let that go. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

We all have typo's and poor punctuation at times, but the irony of calling someone dumb with an incorrect word was, well just dumb! 

Couldn't let that go. 

*typos

Sorry not sorry...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

*typos

Sorry not sorry...

Damn you fredthewolf! 

Fair play (although I blame predictive text!)

Just now, Greavsy said:

Damn you fredthewolf! 

I'm presuming that one was deliberate 😉

I quite like 'fred', though. I might rebrand and get myself a new avatar...

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Damn you fredthewolf! 

So it's Fred now? People changing their names all the time! 😉

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I'm presuming that one was deliberate 😉

I quite like 'fred', though. I might rebrand and get myself a new avatar...

Was a little sneaky  test.......you passed with flying colours. 

Just now, Greavsy said:

Was a little sneaky  test.......you passed with flying colours. 

Haha! I'm a proofreader for a living, so I spot 'em all (well, 90% of them at least). I used to be one of those super-annoying grammar pedants who couldn't let anything go, but these days I just tend to tut quietly to myself and let it go... 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Haha! I'm a proofreader for a living, so I spot 'em all (well, 90% of them at least). I used to be one of those super-annoying grammar pedants who couldn't let anything go, but these days I just tend to tut quietly to myself and let it go... 🙂

90% is good enough for Mr Webber.........

Just now, Greavsy said:

90% is good enough for Mr Webber.........

To be fair, if we bring in Sara and keep hold of what we've already got, I think that'll be a pretty good window all things considered.

But anyway, let's get back on topic. What's this thread about again? Ah yes, Todd Cantwell. Glad to see him back in the team!

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

To be fair, if we bring in Sara and keep hold of what we've already got, I think that'll be a pretty good window all things considered.

But anyway, let's get back on topic. What's this thread about again? Ah yes, Todd Cantwell. Glad to see him back in the team!

Always rated Toad! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/07/2022 at 15:29, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Would more than welcome him back with a fresh slate and I’m sure the vast majority of fans feel the same!

As long as that option is afforded to all NCFC players then yes 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Always rated Toad! 

Okay, you can stop it now... 😉

Seriously though, if he comes back fit and firing this season, and we can get him to sign a contract extension (even if only one year), it'll almost be like having an entirely new player. So much talent there.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 18:41, canarybubbles said:

I understand how you feel. I'm in a similar position with Dean Smith. If he turns out to be a wonderful manager who establishes us in the PL, I'm going to be the butt of jokes for years to come.

@canarydan23 would like you to hold his beer. 😉

On 11/07/2022 at 14:28, Greavsy said:

Couldn't let that go. 

Sorry wasn't sat at my computer waiting to proof read everything and then be a pedantic bell end spotting out every type o.

Will try harder next time. Cnut.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Sorry wasn't sat at my computer waiting to proof read everything and then be a pedantic bell end spotting out every type o.

Well done for taking that in the spirit it was intended! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Well done for taking that in the spirit it was intended! 

Don't mind him, he's just got his nexus in a twist...

• Haha 1

I think in terms of quality on the ball Todd has been the stand out player in the pre season friendlies so far.

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think in terms of quality on the ball Todd has been the stand out player in the pre season friendlies so far.

I'm going to annoy you now and say Lungi (or the Iceman) for me.

Todd was like an 8 year old chasing after the ball rather than finding space to receive the ball, so was getting the ball and almost immediately was being closed down and having to work too hard to maintain the move.

Lungi the Iceman on the other hand found space to recieve the ball and pass on to someone to keep the move going.  Water carrier like, very Deschamps, very simple, but much more effective!

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I'm going to annoy you now and say Lungi (or the Iceman) for me.

Todd was like an 8 year old chasing after the ball rather than finding space to receive the ball, so was getting the ball and almost immediately was being closed down and having to work too hard to maintain the move.

Lungi the Iceman on the other hand found space to recieve the ball and pass on to someone to keep the move going.  Water carrier like, very Deschamps, very simple, but much more effective!

Cantwell was deffo more prevelent in the highlights of the friendly in Germany, albeit of three 30m segments.

As a defensive midfielder, holding that space in front of the back four, playing against a lesser (no disrespect meant) side, you would absolutely expect him to be finding more space. We should be pushing and the opposition finding themselves pinned back.

Naturally, Lynn also deployed a bit deeper to try and soak up pressure, deny space for pacier players to run into and tried to play on the break.

All of which put Lungi in more space.

On the other hand, being further forward, and connecting what we saw this evening with the videos of training in Germany, interviews with Smith and the vid where Shakespeare had a microphone, it is clear our forward players are being told to counter-press. 

Most of what was good in the 2nd half came through Cantwell's passing. I would even say at times, other players just weren't on the same wavelength. A couple of times Sargent could have gambled and got at least a chance at it.

23 minutes ago, chicken said:

Naturally, Lynn also deployed a bit deeper to try and soak up pressure, deny space for pacier players to run into and tried to play on the break.

All of which put Lungi in more space.

No disrespect either, but after Lungi was subbed, no-one else found that space, that was why the last 30 minutes was a write-off. Why is Lungi the only one who could find it and the time to metronomically keep play moving? Maybe because he is the best player for that role. 🤔 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shefcanary said:

No disrespect either, but after Lungi was subbed, no-one else found that space, that was why the last 30 minutes was a write-off. Why is Lungi the only one who could find it and the time to metronomically keep play moving? Maybe because he is the best player for that role. 🤔 

And maybe the fact he's the best player we have for that role expedited the need to bring in someone better, i.e. Hayden? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him blossom into a top-class player, but I think his role is more of a backup/utility player who can also cover full-back and CB if necessary (well, once Hayden is back at least). Glad he's been playing well in pre-season so far, although obviously the pace of the game and level of opposition makes it easier for him to look good.

As for Cantwell tearing around aimlessly, I didn't see the game so I can't comment on that, but it sounds to me like he's keen to prove himself, maybe trying a bit too hard? That has to be a good thing if true. Also, he missed an awful lot of football last season, so that would suggest he's been working on his fitness and is eager to get match-sharp.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Slight over reaction 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

There you go again.😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

And maybe the fact he's the best player we have for that role expedited the need to bring in someone better, i.e. Hayden?

I'd hold fire on that suggestion just yet.    Lungi is probably twice the player Hayden is on the ball and not significantly worse without it.   Jury has to be out on Hayden until he actually convinces us he's any good.    All we have is, he's played quite a few games (but by no means all) in a relatively poor Newcastle team that struggled in the EPL year on year.   

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I'd hold fire on that suggestion just yet.    Lungi is probably twice the player Hayden is on the ball and not significantly worse without it.   Jury has to be out on Hayden until he actually convinces us he's any good.    All we have is, he's played quite a few games (but by no means all) in a relatively poor Newcastle team that struggled in the EPL year on year.   

As with everything, the proof's in the pudding. From what I have seen of the two players, though, I think Hayden is a much better CDM than Lungi. Age and potential is definitely on Lungi's side, but he's not come close to cementing a regular start in what is supposed to be his strongest position.

Tettey wasn't much on the ball, but boy did we miss him when he wasn't there. We're looking to sign the ball-playing CM to go alongside Hayden, so what we need from the CDM role is a bodyguard, not a ball-player. Obviously I'd be delighted if Lungi steps up and fills that role, though!

It’s amazing, but I from what I see, if Todd and PLM get the best out of Sorensen and we look like a good midfield is there than it’s a positive. As for Todd he’s a talent but his last year has set him back in the eyes of any team which might be looking, not done himself any favours, time to put in the hard graft and sign a years extension or he might find himself in league 1 next year or warming the Blackburn bench!

Sorensen looks solid in any position asked to play and looks so calm and good on the ball, certainly one of our better players, why hasn’t he got a regular place, injury and bad luck? Not the best in the dressing room? Who knows.

Edited by Indy