Webber should have signed him up for three years as soon as Bournemouth sent him back, but he was too busy climbing mountains.😉

Discuss….

In all seriousness, if his head’s right and he gets back enjoying the game with us, he’d be a big asset this season.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

At this point we're his best option, can't see him having started both pre season games if there wasn't a strong likelihood he will be around in a month.

All good for now, providing we get up. But I forsee many a drama next summer when he walks away for free.

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Would more than welcome him back with a fresh slate and I’m sure the vast majority of fans feel the same!

Bloody well hope so

I think the onus is on Todd, we should not offer a contract unless he is performing.  I do wonder if we should just loan him straight out for the season, if he plays for us and there is any under performance or disagreement of any sort, he will be in U23 squad again and posting negative stuff on social media.  And endless repetitive discussion about how it is his fault or not his fault etc.  The risk of it going wrong is significant, the potential up side for the squad is small.  Might be better to draw a line under it for the sake of the squad.  If he does start performing, openly looks for a new contract, and proves me wrong I would be delighted.

Edited by Newtopia

As Newtopia has said - its up to Todd.

But intentionally or not he has put himself in a good place. Plays well, and gets some suitors - as I cannot see him signing a new contract. 

Doesnt play well, but is a free agent, so will get picked up, on a decent wage, as no fee. 

however, He is a footballer and should be judged as such, plays well gets the plaudits and the rewards associated, its just when its not going well he takes to SM and moans like a scouser, with his cryptic posts. Just get of it, when playing well or not, and let the football show the talent you have (or havent) got.   

We all know what he is capable of playing like so yes here is probably his best choice right now. Maybe get him to sit with a sports shrink and try and sort his head out.

4 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

We all know what he is capable of playing like so yes here is probably his best choice right now. Maybe get him to sit with a sports shrink and try and sort his head out.

I cant see him agreeing to that - he doesnt see it as a problem, which is partly the problem. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

The bridges have been burnt.

He needs a new club

If that were true wouldn’t we have seen him isolated from the group Drmic / Trybull / Leitner style?

24 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I think the onus is on Todd, we should not offer a contract unless he is performing.  I do wonder if we should just loan him straight out for the season, if he plays for us and there is any under performance or disagreement of any sort, he will be in U23 squad again and posting negative stuff on social media.  And endless repetitive discussion about how it is his fault or not his fault etc.  The risk of it going wrong is significant, the potential up side for the squad is small.  Might be better to draw a line under it for the sake of the squad.  If he does start performing, openly looks for a new contract, and proves me wrong I would be delighted.

That won't happen. No matter what anyone says, he has quality. Loan him out for the season and he walks for free next summer.

For me it simply comes down to contracts now. Sign one and stay and play, or don't and we'll try and get the best price possible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

That won't happen. No matter what anyone says, he has quality. Loan him out for the season and he walks for free next summer.

For me it simply comes down to contracts now. Sign one and stay and play, or don't and we'll try and get the best price possible. 

Isn't that exactly what happened in triggering the year extention? 

On 09/07/2022 at 15:01, Greavsy said:

Isn't that exactly what happened in triggering the year extention? 

Kinda, we triggered it so he didn't walk this summer. His options look slim right now which isn't really ideal for him or the club. Though it looks like there are at least clubs potentially interested at around the £3-6m mark. If he's not willing to sign a new contract, I probably wouldn't take the risk. Take the money and put it towards Sara's fee and not be so pressured into (edit)selling one of the other prized assets. 

Edited by chicken

29 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

He needs a new club

Who says the bridges have been burnt ?  The half dozen or so posters on here ,or the 26000 plus who go to carrow rd every game .

if he performs I will welcome him back as I hope every supporter would

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Who says the bridges have been burnt ?  The half dozen or so posters on here ,or the 26000 plus who go to carrow rd every game .

Quite so - if he starts to perform rather than swanning around like a prima-donna things will soon be forgiven/forgotten (until his first poor game!)

5 minutes ago, city4eva said:

I think we all would welcome him back if he performs, the risk if he is disruptive would be terrible and effect our chances of promotion.  These are tough decisions.  

• Like 1

I personally think he’s a talent still that just needs managing right. I also think we are his best option now for his own ambitions, maybe he’s realising that.

However he’s only worth keeping if we feel he’s committed and he signs a new contract.

If there’s doubt about the first and no chance of the latter I’d move him on personally for the best deal we can get.

54 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Webber should have signed him up for three years as soon as Bournemouth sent him back, but he was too busy climbing mountains.😉

Discuss….

In all seriousness, if his head’s right and he gets back enjoying the game with us, he’d be a big asset this season.

94289ED4-9601-4FB6-A4E8-8444474197C2.jpegA tiny bit of a credit would have been nice? 🙏 😉

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, chicken said:

Might, if you are going to get promoted with or without him, better to develop a 500k player into a 3M player, than take a 6M player and allow him to leave for free.  Or if he is disruptive let him go for nothing.

I'm not sure he is the problem people make him out to be (I agreed with them in the past aswell), we must have seen some justification or mitigating factors for his behaviour that makes the club think he isn't just acting out. Alternatively, they must have seen a change of attitude or growth in maturity.

This is not a management team who aren't willing to just cut a player loose if there's a problem even if they are valuable. 

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

Just now, Newtopia said:

Might, if you are going to get promoted with or without him, better to develop a 500k player into a 3M player, than take a 6M player and allow him to leave for free.  Or if he is disruptive let him go for nothing.

Loaning him out for the season IS letting him go for free... Not sure how sending him out on loan would develop his fee. If he doesn't sign a new contract his value is only going to go down, even if he does superbly for us up until Jan.

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

94289ED4-9601-4FB6-A4E8-8444474197C2.jpegA tiny bit of a credit would have been nice? 🙏 😉

Yes, that was indeed a direct quote….to be fair you said ‘posts’ rather than ‘threads’😁🙃

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes, that was indeed a direct quote….to be fair you said ‘posts’ rather than ‘threads’😁🙃

5744C430-2505-4ACB-B6C1-CFC5C0D88A24.jpeg
😉

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

The other problem is would be want to go to the clubs looking at him as a possible signing. He knows he's free next season so for him to sign permanently for anyone else might not suit him even if it's better for Norwich. He also has a say in this. Stay here and try to play and impress so he gets better offers next season or a loan to do the same. Or stranger things have happened play his way into the team, fall in love with Norwich again and sign a new contract with us on half the money he's on now as a thank you for sticking with him during his troubles 😃

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

He needs a new club

Agreed I would never accept him in a yellow shirt again 

It’s annoying the amount of hyperbole surrounding his ability. A few tap ins in the prem and suddenly he was gods gift. Then when he wasn’t, he was useless…

Hes clearly a serviceable player for upper champs/maybe lower prem on his day but that’s it. No more, no less. He’s not the answer to our prayers but he’d be a useful squad player potentially for several years if he just ignored the noise and signed up for a new deal. His ability and our current place are perfectly aligned.

None of us really have a clue what has happened or what is happening, so it's all speculation.

My speculation (FWIW, i.e. very little) is that he has realised how badly he's screwed up and so he has suddenly rediscovered his undying love for his local club because he has nowhere else to go. In other words, he's a manipulative, self-serving little sh*t and we should keep well away from him. If we give him another chance, he'll repay us by dumping us again as soon as it suits him.

But others on here have very different opinions of Mr Cantwell, I know. And who can tell which of us is right?

Edited by canarybubbles

There might be clubs watching him pre season for all we know. He appears happy enough at the moment but I cannot see him signing a new contract unless he's actually playing league matches. If he isn't getting games for us then I can see a late transfer window bid, probably for a nominal fee. There's no point paying his wage another year and not playing him.

Hopefully he will show good form and earn himself a reprieve for the new season.