Unhinged Canary

Historical Transfer Rumours

Been as there seems to be an incredible lack of transfer rumours, real or otherwise. Hows about we regale each other with our favourite rumours of days gone by.

Whether it be a rare sighting of Shola Ameobi at ASDA or a car parked at a jaunty angle, let's hear what you've got.

Because the reality is rather grim at the moment.....

Carl Cort was the one usually spotted in a variety of supermarkets.  Although he did eventually sign...

I will always love the fact we nearly signed Ross McCormack. And we were all giddy for him the portly soul, until Villa snatched him away… what a bullet dodged there!

I seem to remember we were linked with Virgil Van Dijk when he was at Celtic, more likely to be linked with D1ck Van Dykethese days

Edited by Don’t be Krul

5 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Not sure what exactly qualifies as ‘ historical ‘ but the ancients amongst us must surely have the Dean Windass saga right up there

From 1902 onwards. 👍

40 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Anne Boleyn to be replaced by Jane Seymour?

..............as Head Coach ?

36 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Not sure what exactly qualifies as ‘ historical ‘ but the ancients amongst us must surely have the Dean Windass saga right up there

Ah, a classic from the Chase days.  From memory we originally put in a very low offer and it all came to nothing, but I seem to remember people saying at the end of it they said they'd accept our original bid but RC then worked out we couldn't even afford that ? 

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Craig mackail-Smith, went on for about 4 transfer windows didn't it? 

I’d forgotten that one, we got Fry’d good and proper.

53 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Toby Alderweireld... the one that got away. 😄

We've actually been after some cracking defenders in recent history. Alderweireld, van Dijk, Koulibaly, Botman, Rannochia, Ajer to a lesser extent. We clearly know how to identify good centre halves... it's just actually signing them we haven't mastered 

1 hour ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Been as there seems to be an incredible lack of transfer rumours, real or otherwise. Hows about we regale each other with our favourite rumours of days gone by.

Whether it be a rare sighting of Shola Ameobi at ASDA or a car parked at a jaunty angle, let's hear what you've got.

Because the reality is rather grim at the moment.....

Shopping with no bucks makes for a slow day.

57 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Ah, a classic from the Chase days.  From memory we originally put in a very low offer and it all came to nothing, but I seem to remember people saying at the end of it they said they'd accept our original bid but RC then worked out we couldn't even afford that ? 

And we lost Martin O'Neill just as he was approaching his managerial peak (his record was not at all shabby either in the short time with us) ...and all for the lack of £320,000 if my memory has served me correctly.

• Sad 1

In the early 70's we offered Skunthorpe £20k for Kevin Keegan but they held out for £25k. 

Edit pardon my spelling, the **** police are at it again 

Edited by dylanisabaddog