Pete Raven

EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks

Had a portentous omen yesterday, a client said she had an old car in a barn if I wanted to look at it, my brother in law deals in such things. Turns out it was a 1934  Pontiac V8! In really good nick....a pure Al Capone motor!  Go USA!!!

image.png.6aa5452060a7ab41d2c41216b2247eff.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diane said:

This is interesting with pictures of the USA contingent in the box last Saturday

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-canaries-profiles-behind-city-prospective-investment-9000876

That is a serious number of people from one business. Let's just hope they know nothing about Football and believed it when they were told it was a close game and we were unlucky to lose.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is another way of looking at it. Why on earth would an American be interested in putting money into a small English football club?

The only realistic answer to that question is that they see it as an opportunity to make money. 

Because it's in and around the Premier League. Unless you're investing to save the club then it's purely for diversification and making money from the big-time.

Perhaps they are thinking that doubling their money on a £50m investment is worthwhile. Doesn't really stack up for me though and it's more likely to be continued investment and earnings.

Ideally we want this done and dusted in time for the transfer window as that's pretty fundamental in getting back to the 'big-time'.

34 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

What's that line again...no one interested in NCFC? 

When's the vote Delia promised?

The fact you have the ego to post these snide remarks after your constant unsubstantiated criticism that our owners and Webber have no interest in outside investment, how its Delias train set, the repeated ad nauseum claim that no one would come close unless WE PUT THE CLUB UP FOR SALE LIKE A HOUSE BUH.....it all speaks absolute volumes 😅😅

Did you manage to get hold of the club  and renew your season ticket in the end? 😅😅😅

investors-graphic-1-2-.png.2cf910b4b21d16cef0c1c1ec181a1ce7.png

The Magnificent Seven? 

Maybe they've got a touch of the 'The Seventh Seal' about them - will it turn out that there IS an afterlife following on from the D&M years?

Or is someone gonna end up with their head in a box? 

OTBC

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Because it's in and around the Premier League. Unless you're investing to save the club then it's purely for diversification and making money from the big-time.

Perhaps they are thinking that doubling their money on a £50m investment is worthwhile. Doesn't really stack up for me though and it's more likely to be continued investment and earnings.

Ideally we want this done and dusted in time for the transfer window as that's pretty fundamental in getting back to the 'big-time'.

At the moment this is almost entirely speculation, which is ok as far as it goes but it doesn't go very far yet. I agree that anyone putting money into the club would want a say in how it is spent and the statement that the present owners would remain in place doesn't  fit well with this idea. If this group is seriously looking to buy into a football club I don't  see whats in it for them if they remain silent partners. These are experienced American business people, they don't  work like that.

What the story gives us so far is the prospect of better things in the future but my crystal ball is still fogged up this morning. We are still a long way from driving down to Portman Road and waving twenty pound notes about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

If we ever play the binners again, can we wave handfuls of money at them? 

At this rate we will both be waving USA flags at each other!

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is another way of looking at it. Why on earth would an American be interested in putting money into a small English football club?

The only realistic answer to that question is that they see it as an opportunity to make money. 

It’s a way into Premier League boardrooms and access to the people inside them if you get (and keep) your club in the top flight…

Big business is often about who you know rather than what, and the chance to rub shoulders in a more casual setting could well open up far more doors than having to conduct conversations in a more traditional office manner.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

At this rate we will both be waving USA flags at each other!

New outfit for that kid that used to wear a morph suit until he got beat up.... 

images (2).jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

At the moment this is almost entirely speculation, which is ok as far as it goes but it doesn't go very far yet. I agree that anyone putting money into the club would want a say in how it is spent and the statement that the present owners would remain in place doesn't  fit well with this idea. If this group is seriously looking to buy into a football club I don't  see whats in it for them if they remain silent partners. These are experienced American business people, they don't  work like that.

What the story gives us so far is the prospect of better things in the future but my crystal ball is still fogged up this morning. We are still a long way from driving down to Portman Road and waving twenty pound notes about.

I have to say I'm comply confused. I was really surprised that US investors would want to buy in, in the first place and speculated that perhaps D + M were undervaluing their shares to attract new equity investment but this idea is blown out of the water if they are to remain as majority shareholders.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all - I think that I am going toe to put it out of my mind - fortunately the First Test starts on Friday, so I'll have other sporting distraction!

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Silence while the “neppers Tom” band edit their old posts…

"Beep Beep"....

18 hours ago, hogesar said:

Nah. Impossible. Delia refuses to even speak to people. Do I have time to tag in all the people on here who have said it?

I'm a Delia fan generally and this investment concerns me as American owners have a patchy record elsewhere but I trust Delia and MWJ to have done their homework on these people as I believe they have the club's best interest at heart but I'm nervous about it for sure.

However, to say that after 25 years ownership, after having five or six attempts at cracking the Premier League, being north of 80 years old and this isn't even being driven by her (looks like nephew Tom), that this somehow proves she was open for business all along and "I told you so" is disingenuous and simply not true. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Shef, you ought to be more concerned about something I found on what I think is the Milwaukee Brewers' main message-board:

"The problem we have is a lack of corporate governance. Bit too much in the family for my liking, with sons Mike and Dan involved. And Richard Ressler should provide that from the advisory board, but he and Mark Attanasio go way back to college days. Don't get me wrong, I think the club is pretty well-managed by the family, but without some truly independent oversight there is always the danger they could do something really dumb, like spending money that should go to the Brewers on buying out some rinky-dink English soccer team no-one has ever heard of."

No way, la. Good digging.

I was encouraged though that as well as his sons he did bring 4 advisers, interesting two were on the operational side! 

I may not be getting off my hobby horse yet. 

But we could end up with two families at war!  What a soap opera that would make. 😆

I've always said I like our owners  but at the same time would be very excited by a change if it meant more money coming in. This looks like the best of both worlds to me, D&M stay on the board and when we go up next year we'll have a bit more scope to get our top targets over the line. long term I have no idea how this will end up, but with the PL improving in terms of quality and finances every year it really feels like now or never to me.

Also how insane is it that we're looking at someone worth 700 million as potentially not having enough money to fund us properly in the PL? Absolute madness. 

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

But we could end up with two families at war!  What a soap opera that would make. 😆

Dynasty CatFight on Make a GIF

Dynasty 2022 - The Ownership Wars

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Their take over was funded as a high risk loan investment by a pension fund. The money was all borrowed. 

Exactly. And this is the crux - on what basis will this be? If this is investment and not leveraged, this could be decent news. It basically depends on the terms they want to invest or buy at.

We don't really want owners like the Glazers or the company that basically took over at Burnley using Burnley's money, pretty much. More like Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha at Leicester City would be better although I don't know the full ins and outs of that deal, but he's always struck me as a more benevolent sort.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Shef, you ought to be more concerned about something I found on what I think is the Milwaukee Brewers' main message-board:

"The problem we have is a lack of corporate governance. Bit too much in the family for my liking, with sons Mike and Dan involved. And Richard Ressler should provide that from the advisory board, but he and Mark Attanasio go way back to college days. Don't get me wrong, I think the club is pretty well-managed by the family, but without some truly independent oversight there is always the danger they could do something really dumb, like spending money that should go to the Brewers on buying out some rinky-dink English soccer team no-one has ever heard of."

Funny thing is Wisconsin is kinda like the Norfolk of America. Not geographically but in terms of how it's seen as a bit of a backwater, there's a lot of farm land, the people have funny accents and nobody's ever really heard of their sports teams. We have a fair bit in common so if this goes through we should get on fine with their fans. 

23 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I'm a Delia fan generally and this investment concerns me as American owners have a patchy record elsewhere but I trust Delia and MWJ to have done their homework on these people as I believe they have the club's best interest at heart but I'm nervous about it for sure.

However, to say that after 25 years ownership, after having five or six attempts at cracking the Premier League, being north of 80 years old and this isn't even being driven by her (looks like nephew Tom), that this somehow proves she was open for business all along and "I told you so" is disingenuous and simply not true. 

Since 2019 they went public saying that investment interests would be dealt with by the board I.e Zoe Stuart etc. Even then people on here called her a liar. Turns out she was simply telling the truth.

There is a desperation from some on here to back peddle, ignore or plain pretend to forget the levels of personal attacks they made on the characters of our owners. I produced a list earlier. They shouldn't be defended for the stuff they said whatsoever,  but some on here will continue to do so (as it matches what they themselves said before too).

"rinky dink English soccer team", I like the sound of that, can we change our nickname to 'The Rinky Dinks'? 

No doubt they will be told that Delia 'stays on as boss' and that all of those lovely dollars will become hers..... all hers.

Sadly I can't see anything worthwhile happening with Delia the dinosaur running the shop and insisting on having the last word.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Since 2019 they went public saying that investment interests would be dealt with by the board I.e Zoe Stuart etc. Even then people on here called her a liar. Turns out she was simply telling the truth.

There is a desperation from some on here to back peddle, ignore or plain pretend to forget the levels of personal attacks they made on the characters of our owners. I produced a list earlier. They shouldn't be defended for the stuff they said whatsoever,  but some on here will continue to do so (as it matches what they themselves said before too).

Willing buyers have always been out there and Smith has blatantly and continually lied about it.

It has taken yet another shameless season for her to finally 'put on a show' which is likely to go nowhere due to them 'not being Norwich fans'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Willing buyers have always been out there and Smith has blatantly and continually lied about it.

It has taken yet another shameless season for her to finally 'put on a show' which is likely to go nowhere due to them 'not being Norwich fans'.

F*ck off back to TWTD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

"rinky dink English soccer team", I like the sound of that, can we change our nickname to 'The Rinky Dinks'? 

I found that bit quite amusing. They're on a messageboard of a Rounders team literally nobody outside the US has ever heard of and making "small time" comments aimed at a club that has spent a fair amount of recent years in the most watched sporting league in the world.

• Like 1