Sign in to follow this  
baldy09

Cantwell

Cantwell back at city- Bournemouth not taking up option to sign- this should bring him back to ground and perhaps he can settle down and be a good solid player for city again 

Just now, baldy09 said:

Cantwell back at city- Bournemouth not taking up option to sign- this should bring him back to ground and perhaps he can settle down and be a good solid player for city again 

Well he's certainly been brought back down to earth with a bump. Only one year left on his contract and I can't imagine he'll get any suitors from higher up the pyramid, so time to knuckle down and earn a new contract here, or put himself in the shop window for next summer.

Bit of a tricky one – if he's playing badly (or not at all) then he'll leave on a free, and if he rediscovers his form then he might stall on a new contract in an attempt to get a move back to the Prem. The best-case scenario (him playing well, signing a new contract and helping us get promoted back to the Prem) looks something of a long shot.

• Like 1

Yes, he's coming back here as I'm pretty sure Pink'Un reported. Got "injured" just prior to the match in which Bournmouth went up and he did not take part in the team celebrations either. As it happens he only made 11 appearances for them, with a grand total of 0 goals and 0 assists. Quite frankly I really don't see anyone wanting to buy him come the transfer window (Remember when he was linked to 20 million plus transfers?) so think it's fair to say we are stuck with him for now

Actually more interested in report that Sinani will be back with us for pre season -he's been decent at Huddersfield and I thought they had option to buy which theyd take up.

• Like 1

Not getting my hopes up for a positive outcome on this one. Seems the type to pout and sook rather than prove the doubters wrong. It’s always the case you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone and Farke was the perfect manager for Todd. Played him in a position that suited him in a shape that suited him. Nurtured him. But he got too big for his boots and downed tools. Then he goes and plays in a midfield 3 and he’s all at sea. The regret must be real. 

Needs an Alex Neil/Seb Bassong type chat. Think he was massively overhyped after that breakout prem season and it’s got to his head. He’d only just made it into the championship squad the year before.

• Like 1

If I was a friend of his I'd be telling him if he wants to be a footballer, to forget all the other stuff, social media, image consciousness, contract issues, ambition, personality clashes, or whatever  - and do your talking on the pitch.  In other words focus.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Needs an Alex Neil/Seb Bassong type chat. Think he was massively overhyped after that breakout prem season and it’s got to his head. He’d only just made it into the championship squad the year before.

He needs to do something to try and get his career back on track as if it keeps going the way its going I feel in a few years time he may well end up playing for a league two or national leauge club and going to the papers to 'spill all about the Norwich drama..' 

• Like 1

Time to offer him a clean slate and that includes from the fans also.

Otherwise we lose an asset for nothing next summer having got nothing beneficial out of him for 2 seasons.

I would hope Smith is sitting him down, offering him the chance to start again afresh and maybe, just maybe we at least get one more good seasoin out of him next seasoin even if he won't sign a new contract. Who knows if he can get back enjoying his football for us again he may even hit previous levels and decide he wants to stay.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Not getting my hopes up for a positive outcome on this one. Seems the type to pout and sook rather than prove the doubters wrong. It’s always the case you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone and Farke was the perfect manager for Todd. Played him in a position that suited him in a shape that suited him. Nurtured him. But he got too big for his boots and downed tools. Then he goes and plays in a midfield 3 and he’s all at sea. The regret must be real. 

To be fair, this season Farke did not play him in a position that suited him. He was shoved out on the right in a 4-3-3 when he's always played on the left of a 3 behind a striker. Another thing that was ridiculous about our recruitment. We signed 2 left wingers when we already hahd Todd playing very well in that left sided midfield role. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I would hope Smith is sitting him down, offering him the chance to start again afresh and maybe, just maybe we at least get one more good seasoin out of him next seasoin even if he won't sign a new contract

**** that, I'd tell him clearly that if he wants to be part of plans here he has to settle a contract otherwise we can't invest in him as we have many young, hungry players at the club that DO want that position.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If I was a friend of his I'd be telling him if he wants to be a footballer, to forget all the other stuff, social media, image consciousness, contract issues, ambition, personality clashes, or whatever  - and do your talking on the pitch.  In other words focus.

Yes, sadly over the last season it seems he set himself low standards and consistently failed to meet them.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

**** that, I'd tell him clearly that if he wants to be part of plans here he has to settle a contract otherwise we can't invest in him as we have many young, hungry players at the club that DO want that position.

This is a good point - we need him to show us some commitment.

If not, it's all in his own hands - he can sulk and then just leave on a free (and there will be decent champ clubs interested in him) or he can have a blinding season and still leave on a free - so it's almost win win for him.

Much better to say we are happy to give him a chance but to do that he needs to sign a contract so retains value for us.

• Like 1

Well if dropping a league and hardly getting a kick did not bring him back down to earth nothing will.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Is that true? That’s not how I remember it (not that I would ever claim that my memory is reliable, and nor would my wife).

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

Actually more interested in report that Sinani will be back with us for pre season -he's been decent at Huddersfield and I thought they had option to buy which theyd take up.

Oh really? I'd missed that! Good news if true. I'm surprised that Huddersfield have already decided they don't want him, despite not yet knowing what division he'll be in next year. Must have decided he's not good enough for the Prem, and too expensive if they stay in the Championship.

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Is that true? That’s not how I remember it (not that I would ever claim that my memory is reliable, and nor would my wife).

Depends on what Tetteys jig meant by "only just made it into the championship squad". He didn't get on to the pitch in 18/19 until the 9th game, and during the whole season he started 18 games (and was subbed off in 8), was subbed on in 6 and was on the bench but didn't get on in 16 games. He had 1 goal and 2 assists. 

In 19/20 he started 30 games and was subbed on in 7 more so that's a big leap from the previous season at a higher level. He had 6 goals and 2 assists.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Quick Google search shows that he made 18 starts and 6 sub appearances, scoring one goal. I remember him coming back from his loan at Fortuna Sittard and hearing that he had made great progress, then being instrumental towards the latter end of the season, dovetailing really nicely with Buendia.

EDIT: Basically what Mr Angry said about 30 seconds before me 😉

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yh remember Emi got that ban and we all shat ourselves that it might stop us going up? Todd came in, wasn’t as good but did a job and we drew 3 games.

• Like 1

There's only really one option and that's to welcome back Cantwell and hope he discovers old form. That way it enhances his stock more. Norwich fans will soon forget any grumbles with him if he starts contributing again. Remains to be seen whether he has what it takes mentally to play at this level of football for us or otherwise. Clearly a talented player in there.

2 hours ago, rock bus said:

Danel Sinani: In a different situation to the other players on this list in that he is currently on loan from Norwich City, but there is an option in place to make his deal permanent if Town wish to take it up.

We have been back and forth on whether that is something they should look to do, but his more consistent performances in recent weeks have made us think it’s would probably be worthwhile if the numbers are rig

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Could he play for us Sunday if fit? Not sure what the loan rules are.

No

All depends on whether he is going to sign a new contract or not. That has been the issue all along I think. If he is adamant or his agent is adamant he is not then I would try and get what we can for him I sure someone who take a punt if the price is right.

If he is open to the idea of a new contract as a carrot for a good start to the season then I would welcome him back as he has shown in the past he is a very very good player in the championship.

He needs to address whatever the issues are, good or bad,  that are distracting him. 

Todd has talent but seems to have issues that overshadow this. 

He has got a huge ammount of work to convince DS that he is fit in mind to be part of the solution and not be part of the problem

A big year for him.